Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Today's cheap purchase - Hummer

Hummer has been discounted a lot down here, but today at A$26 for a big bottle, I bought it.
    (Yes, I know that you guys in the US will get it even cheaper at Marshalls - but the only Marshall we have down here sells and installs car batteries).

I'm not sure how I missed it, but Hummer is one pretty impressive scent in the actual wearing.

Does anybody else like it?
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 5th August 2008 at 03:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Today cheap purchase - Hummer

I haven't tried the original, but H2 is nice enough.
    Similar to l'eau d'issey, but not nice enough to warrant a purchase. My mum bought my dad a whopping great 125ml bottle of the stuff...
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    I haven't tried the original, but H2 is nice enough.
    Similar to l'eau d'issey, but not nice enough to warrant a purchase. My mum bought my dad a whopping great 125ml bottle of the stuff...
    Hi Anthony,
    I honestly don't recollect what the second one smells like, which was pretty much the case with the one I bought today - so that it was a semi-blind buy. I do recollect thinking "Ho Hum" when I first tested Hummer.

Sometimes, for some scents, one really can't get a good feel for a scent in a wrist test. Apart from Hummer, Caron Pour Un Homme and Lanvin Oxygene come to mind as scents which I thought very sub average when I tested them, but which were really impressive in the actual wearing - and the reason I was wearing them was because they cost me A$20 a bottle.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 5th August 2008 at 12:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Hummer has been discounted a lot down here, but today at A$26 for a big bottle, I bought it.
    (Yes, I know that you guys in the US will get it even cheaper at Marshalls - but the only Marshall we have down here sells and installs car batteries).

I'm not sure how I missed it, but Hummer is one pretty impressive scent in the actual wearing.

Does anybody else like it?
    Renato

P.S. How does one edit the title - It should have been Today's Cheap Purchase, but a phone call threw me off
    Go to edit and then it will say undwer the edit part, "Go Advanced" That lets you correct the title and everything
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    Go to edit and then it will say undwer the edit part, "Go Advanced" That lets you correct the title and everything
    Thanks very much.
    But I really don't liek the way that feature is hidden away.
    Renato

Default Re: Today's cheap purchase - Hummer

H2 has great top notes but a generic and boring drydown. Haven't tried the original.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i don't care how it smells, because seeing a bottle that says "HUMMER" in my collection would be disgraceful!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    i don't care how it smells, because seeing a bottle that says "HUMMER" in my collection would be disgraceful!
    LOL - I have an H2 from Marshalls that I keep under the sink because I don't want to see "Hummer' on my counter. The bottle has a big footprint and also takes up too much space. The fragrance is not bad, really, it's nothing remarkable either. Your typical light fruit top/musk woods vanilla base. The only thing that keeps me from wearing it is that I have many more interesting things in rotation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    LOL - I have an H2 from Marshalls that I keep under the sink because I don't want to see "Hummer' on my counter. The bottle has a big footprint and also takes up too much space. The fragrance is not bad, really, it's nothing remarkable either. Your typical light fruit top/musk woods vanilla base. The only thing that keeps me from wearing it is that I have many more interesting things in rotation.
    HAHA! it's the perfume equivelant of putting a bag over your head

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Renato!
    Long time, no talk! Something I really like in you is that you're the guy that talks about cheap fragrances as naturally as you talk about the most hyped-commented-expensive-exclusive niche fragrances!! These days you have to be brave to post these threads...And you know what? It's always a pleasure to read them!
    But you just forgot to say how it smells like! Chrome, Perhaps?

P.S: I'm not a niche fragrances hater. The problem is that 80% of the ones I tested just didn't fit me: too weak, too weird or too feminine (In my humble opinion). By the way, I love MPG Ambre Precieux!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RCavs View Post
    Hi Renato!
    Long time, no talk! Something I really like in you is that you're the guy that talks about cheap fragrances as naturally as you talk about the most hyped-commented-expensive-exclusive niche fragrances!! These days you have to be brave to post these threads...And you know what? It's always a pleasure to read them!
    But you just forgot to say how it smells like! Chrome, Perhaps?

P.S: I'm not a niche fragrances hater. The problem is that 80% of the ones I tested just didn't fit me: too weak, too weird or too feminine (In my humble opinion). By the way, I love MPG Ambre Precieux!
    Hi,
    Yes, this forum is getting too big and we rarely meet. Osmoz has Hummer being a woody-spicy scent, but it seems more like a mild spicy oriental to me, lots of tonka bean mixed in with the usual sandalwood and amber. The only scent it reminds me of is Gabriela Sabatini's Devotion - which I doubt will be of much help to you.

Hummer has heaps of negative reviews on the directory, but I wonder how many actually wore it rather than tested it on a wrist? Anyhow, Turin gives it a 3 star rating (pretty good) and describes it as sweet lavender?!

Glad you like Ambre Precieux - it's not that greatly different from MPG Santal Noble. Truthfully though, unless it gets very cool at night where you live, I can't see niche scents being all that suitable - freshness and longevity isn't usually highly represented in their line-ups. I usually only wear my ones in cooler weather (which is a lot cooler than yours).

I tried Nautica Voyage yesterday, and if you are into strong marine scents - this one is mighty impressive.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 6th August 2008 at 12:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    Easily solved - get some black insulation tape and wrap it around the bottle, making sure to mask "HUMMER".
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

I tried Nautica Voyage yesterday, and if you are into strong marine scents - this one is mighty impressive.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Yeah! I bought a 50ml bottle blind (US$15) and I'm extremely happy with it!
    It reminded somehow of a tamed Chrome mixed with something from Swiss Army!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah! I bought a 50ml bottle blind (US$15) and I'm extremely happy with it!
    It reminded somehow of a tamed Chrome mixed with something from Swiss Army!
    That's one very good blind buy indeed. It does have the same Swiss Army feel to it in the back of my nose too.

There was another new Nautica scent out in Italy last year in a white box (can't remember it's name) which didn't do so well, and was going very cheap in some places. It was so cheap I kept thinking of buying it because I liked all my other Nauticas. But I just kept testing it, and just kept disliking it.
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

That's one very good blind buy indeed. It does have the same Swiss Army feel to it in the back of my nose too.

There was another new Nautica scent out in Italy last year in a white box (can't remember it's name) which didn't do so well, and was going very cheap in some places. It was so cheap I kept thinking of buying it because I liked all my other Nauticas. But I just kept testing it, and just kept disliking it.
    Renato
    After such a nice blind buy, I'm almost "gambling" with Nautica Competition and Voyage's variation: Island Voyage! Do you recommend Competition?!
    Maybe Island Voyage is more than a variation, as I've heard about Chrome Legend.

Post Thanks / Like

After such a nice blind buy, I'm almost "gambling" with Nautica Competition and Voyage's variation: Island Voyage! Do you recommend Competition?!
    Maybe Island Voyage is more than a variation, as I've heard about Chrome Legend.
    Unfortunately, I haven't seen Island Voyage. The reformulated Nautica Competition I bought dirt cheap. It's an odd scent. When I wear it I like it, but there's something uncompelling about it, such that I rarely want to wear it.
    Renato