Code of Conduct

Default Pls help choose frag for amateur nose

Hi,

I'd like to get a fragrance for my husband. This'll be his first, so I'm looking for something interesting (ie not the laundry-detergent smell every guy seems to be wearing). The only hint of his taste I have is that he tried and liked Chanel Allure homme which, I think, is a citrus, isnt it? Could you, please, recommend a light fragrance which isnt so "specific" that it'll send him running but, at the same time, won't make him smell exactly the same as every other guy around. I'm pretty sure he wont be into florals and prob not into marine notes. Pls help! I've got one hour before I have to go and pick...something which would start my "deodorant only" hubby on his way to becoming a sophisticated perfume connaisseur

PS: would be super if this could be something I could wear if he doesnt like it (I've got Le Male, Lolita Lempicka au Masculin and a couple of other "male" frags I wear occasionally).

PPS: he didnt like the smell of Le Male or LL au Masc.

Default Re: Pls help choose frag for amateur nose

In a hurry I would suggest Burberry London. Manly, easy to like and It will stand out a little more than the citrus scents.
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

Thanks, will look up review for Bburry London. How about Bulgari pour Homme or Terre d'Hermes? Or are they more of a "must try before buying" fragrances? Also, I loooved Timbuktu from Artisan. Would it be crazy to get that for a guy and expect him to like it immediately?

Post Thanks / Like

Try Emporio Armani White. It's a light citrus-herbal scent with musk base.

And yes. You could wear it.

"Cologne" by Theirry Mugler. A universal crowd pleaser that doesn't smell like anything else.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like Antidote by Viktor & Rolf. And before that Allure were my "signature scent" for years... I haven´t smelled it on females though.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Gentlemen, what great advice!
    TM's Cologne is described as "Inspired by the clean fresh scent of a soap from Mugler's childhood, Cologne was designed to appeal to people who don't really like fragrance!" Sounds like what my husband needs
    Am looking up your other suggestions now.
    (...and realising that maybe I'll need until tomorrow to smell everything and figure out what wld work best, so if anyone has any additional ideas - please post).
    Thanks so much everyone who already did!

Most of the "men's" Samba frags have a unisex quality, and they are very inexpensive, though good quality. I think you could also wear Ignition, by Lomani (vanilla/teak wood), which is also inexpensive. Jacomo Rouge is a gourmand incense, also with unisex potential, and again very inexpensive. Jaipur Homme would be a bit more expensive, but could be unisex too. Richard James Saville Row is great, but hard to find and it may be expensive, due to rarity, at this point.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 5th August 2008 at 09:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Creed Himalaya.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahr268 View Post
    Gentlemen, what great advice!
    TM's Cologne is described as "Inspired by the clean fresh scent of a soap from Mugler's childhood, Cologne was designed to appeal to people who don't really like fragrance!" Sounds like what my husband needs
    Exactly. A great place to begin. It's fresh and clean, but not an aquatic. It's very modern, but the neroli and petit grain notes tie it to a long and storied history of orange blossom colognes. It manages to be at once totally distinctive and kind of universally agreeable.

I say go for it.

Ok, I've got my list and reviews. Now gotta go smell all of this (and maybe get a couple of samples to get the hubby to smell before spluring for a (probably not cheap) bottle.
    Cheers

Hi,
    PS: would be super if this could be something I could wear if he doesnt like it (I've got Le Male, Lolita Lempicka au Masculin and a couple of other "male" frags I wear occasionally).

PPS: he didnt like the smell of Le Male or LL au Masc.
    Dead easy ...
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Consider the way your husband dresses. Does he like to draw attention to himself? Is he a macho type guy or reserved, or wild and crazy, withdrawn, etc. Then with your understanding of fragrances I think you will make an excellent choice.

Post Thanks / Like

You could also try John Varvatos Vintage...

Quote Originally Posted by aeromatic View Post
    Consider the way your husband dresses. Does he like to draw attention to himself? Is he a macho type guy or reserved, or wild and crazy, withdrawn, etc. Then with your understanding of fragrances I think you will make an excellent choice.
    Hmmm... so he's a graduate student so wears casual clothes (ie jeans, turtlenecks). Not a macho type or a "fashionist" (can you say "fashionist"?). Serious, academic... is there a perfume for that?

I've gone smelling for about 3 hrs. I've smelled (and liked) Mugler Cologne. Burburry London a bit too strong. Store didnt have Armani or any of the Creeds or, to my disappointment, the Victor and Rolf perfume mentioned (it sounded very interesting). With Mugler Cologne my only concern is that it has virtually no sillage and I wonder whether, if husband just took a shower and put on clean clothes he would smell the same. So maybe I'll get him a bar of soap
    I've sprayed the Cologne on me about an hour ago - and have been sniffing it every 15 minutes or so. Staying power seems good. "Sexy" isnt a word to describe it. But clean - yes. Fresh - yes. And taht's already better than nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I would buy two perfumes for him, one for the school and one for the night. I suggest:

Armani Pour Homme
    Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree

The Armani perfume is a citrus fragrance, absolutely delicious, bright, informal and refined without being "old". It is perfect for a doctoral or MBA student.

The Chanel perfume is very sensual, smells like money and class.
    Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 6th August 2008 at 01:56 AM.

Ah, these sound nice, both of them. Maybe I'll start him off on something light and noncommital like Mugler Cologne and present the Armani/Chanel duo no his birthday in a few months!

Post Thanks / Like

Great! In case you have time and disposition, also try Eau Sauvage by Dior. It is the classic of all classics. A very lightweight citrus, that has an animalic note combined with lemon. Try it on your skin and not on paper. This perfume always gets compliments. It is as good as the Armani, so you can try both and see which one you like best.

Ah, these sound nice, both of them. Maybe I'll start him off on something light and noncommital like Mugler Cologne and present the Armani/Chanel duo no his birthday in a few months!

I would have said Angélique Encens from Creed ..

Eau Sauvage is quite nice but more his style than yours.
    Maybe Pour un Homme de Caron (lavender for him and vanilla for you ?)
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Post Thanks / Like

Neroli Sauvage by Creed

Post Thanks / Like

I'd suggest Dior Homme. If hes a 'macho-man' he might not like it though, as to the amateur nose it is a little feminine.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Prada Amber, hands down. It's clean, yet not like any clean scent you'd imagine. Lots of myrrh, some vanilla, a hint of vetiver, some other spices - it starts out sweet but just gets better and better during the drydown. Some have likened it to extremely rich and creamy soap - but the final skin scent of the drydown is just so much better than that, in my opinion. It smells like clean but sweaty post-coital skin, with hints of vetiver, a good dose of myrrh, and some saffron and leather notes. It's also worn by a fair number of women, and I've seen it sitting on the women's counter as well as the men's at Macys.

Uh oh, I can just imagine it - if I have him try all these scents and he likes even half of them our budget will take a double hit (for now - it's just me spending all my spare cash on perfume) We'll be living in cardboard boxes but will smell divine!

Post Thanks / Like

Uh oh, I can just imagine it - if I have him try all these scents and he likes even half of them our budget will take a double hit (for now - it's just me spending all my spare cash on perfume) We'll be living in cardboard boxes but will smell divine!
    Actually, you'd be surprised at just how good you can smell for cheap. I'm a uni (college) student on around 185-370 a week depending how many days I work. I've been lucky enough to get a few really good trades lately, and at the moment am extremly happy with my collection. I've learnt now not to buy stuff that just 'nice' and instead stuff that makes you go 'wow' (D&G Homme, Dior Homme, Aqua Bvlgari to name a few recent buys). Before that I have a string of things I've bought that I've enjoyed, but that didn't exactly knock my socks off (XS, PS London, a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting)

If you limit yourself to, say, once every 2/3 months to splash out on a bottle, you really want to find something you love - rather than something you just 'like.'
    Ebay, the various perfume websites (fragrancex, strawberrynet, fragrancenet, the perfumed court, etc) are your friend - and if your in the US, you have at least double the amount of websites available to you as we do down under!

This is a very easy hobby to get drawn into and spend way more than you can afford, or on the other hand, its a really enjoyable hobby that you can enjoy and spend as much or as little as you want After all... Sprays from testers at the local mall are free
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Post Thanks / Like

How about Bulgari pour Homme or Terre d'Hermes?
    Bulgari PH is such an excellent choice. light and fresh. also, like night suggested, Eau Sauvage too is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    This is a very easy hobby to get drawn into and spend way more than you can afford, or on the other hand, its a really enjoyable hobby that you can enjoy and spend as much or as little as you want After all... Sprays from testers at the local mall are free

All too true. I'm still at the stage where I over-buy (and end up having a 3/4 full bottle of DZING - great scent, doesnt last at all on me - just standing there for the past 6m). I live in Russia so, whenever I travel abroad I gorge on Serge Lutens', Artisans, etc. just because most cost about twice as much as they do in the US/Europe. Over the past two days (and while hunting for husband's perfume) got SL Fleur D'Oranger AND Kelly Caleche. The first one alone would have prob been enough... For husband - got Mugler Cologne for now and have a few more in mind (Eau Sauvage, the Armani and Chanel mentioned...etc etc).