Code of Conduct

Default How women feel…...about men wearing some (marketed to) female scents?

How do you feel about a man wearing.. Scents like :

Shalimar
    Kingdom,
    Mitsouko,
    Cabochard
    Habanita
    Prada Amber and Infusion d'iris
    Casmir Choppard
    Jicky
    La Dolce Vita Dior
    Boucheron Jaipur and Saphir
    Obsession Night women
    Chanel Cuir de Russie
    Divine L'Inspiratrice, etc
    Last edited by afraafra; 6th August 2008 at 02:47 PM.

Default Re: How women feel…about men wearing some (marketed to) females scents?

Only fair, we steal perfume marketed to them as well. I´m wearing Creed Tabarome today for instance, and I got Bulgari Black in my purse.

And if they wear it better than you in some way, fair play I mean there are scents that we again wear better than some guys do.

All is fair in Love, War and Perfumery.

Whatever tickles your fancy is fine by me! Í personally wouldn't want to
    smell a man wearing Shalimar, but I wouldn't want to stop him either.

My view is very simple: You like it, you wear it, both for men and women alike.

I'm with the others...I think people should wear whatever fragrance they like. Jicky was originally designed as a masculine, wasn't it? And the others on your list don't seem particularly pink and girly-swirly anyway.

Heavens, why shouldn't they? I wear theirs -- Guerlain Vetiver is a summer favorite -- all the time, especially in hot weather.

In all disclosure, if I encountered a man wearing clouds of something really "feminine" -- like Joy -- I would wonder a bit about him, but I wouldn't judge him in any negative way.
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

Heh, Prada Amber is a men's frag, although you wouldn't guess it at first sniff.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

The list you present really looks quite unisex to me.

BTW, my hubby's signature fragrance is Stella Rose Absolute--give that a try!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

It´s even better if your boyfriend/girlsfriend likes perfume because you extend your wardrobe with so much in one go!

Yes, Jicky was designed as a masculine scent and launched in 1895. Apparently, because of the serious amount of vanilla which wasn't common at that time in men fragrances and because of the bottle design, women pinched it from their husbands.

Guerlain therefore came out in 1904 with Le Mouchoir de Monsieur wich was lighter and considered as "un Parfum d'Habit" (fragrance to be put onto your handkerchief, ready for any lady who might need it ... ). Le Mouchoir de Monsieur is much more lighter that Jicky.

The equivalent for women was La Voilette de Madame.

I wear many of these scent but it's because I really love them, not because of the make, the bottle or the marketing.

Just wear what you feel at ease with.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Default Re: How women feel…...about men wearing some (marketed to) female scents?

I think any of those would work.

Default Re: How women feel…...about men wearing some (marketed to) female scents?

I don't care about marketing labels and wear whatever I like, so men should be able to do the same. My husband and I share almost all of our fragrances. He wouldn't touch my Shalimar and a couple other ultra-femme scents (Cartier So Pretty and Goutal Grand Amour, for example), but those are the exceptions.

I agree completely with previous posters. Wear what smells good to you, and makes you happy.

:toppie:

I would never judge a man wearing a woman's fragrance negatively in any way whatsoever. Fragrance choice is a highly personal thing, and the only boundaries that should influence your decision are those of personal taste. If it smells good, I wear it, whether the fragrance is aimed at women, men, or is designated unisex. Finding a fragrance is a lot more fun and exciting that way--so many options, so little time.

Aren't we all supposed to be biased on how we perceive how other people think of what we wear just because we're perfume lovers?

I agree with all of you ladies of course.
    I wear whatever i feel like and do it so with confidence (see my wardrobe jeje) , I have never been mistaken for a woman before if it helps...

Most of the women in my life love the fact that i happen to -sometimes- wear female frags, and for the rest, well, i don't think it over that much...

Cheers!

I think most people are so context-sensitve that few would realize you were wearing a feminine fragrance. We see what we expect to see...perhaps we also smell what we expect to smell.

Wink Re: How women feel…...about men wearing some (marketed to) female scents?

I am glad to see that everyone here seems open minded to "going across the line" on this one. I would agree that if a perticular fragrance can be felt as you smell it, then why not purchase it? My wife has used my mambo as I have used her hypnotic poison before, and oh man, that is a knock out. I'm going to have to get my own bottle of that!

Default Here's a question for the ladies.

I know that similar questions have been asked, but I would like to know one thing. What would your reactions be if you discovered your date or boyfriend was wearing a scent marketed to the ladies? I have been known to wear a few myself along with men's colognes.

I just hope I don't get torched for this one.

Here is another take though, my clients who are not as learned as you collectors on Basenotes are vehemently opposed to gender-bending exchanges in a sexual situation.

I keep hearing..ooh, I wouldn't want to smell myself in bed on my partner and I do think some female and male fragrances do come across as very feminine or masculine etc.

I personally love a man to smell like a man and a woman like a woman etc. but I too wear some some lighter scents that have cross-over appeal and I can also understand males wanting to wear some female scents too.

For the most part though, tranny-scents can smell a bit odd in certain situations.

I love it when I try a frag that I think I will love, or DO love, just not on me, and it works on DH. I feel really lucky that he dosn't stop marketing from telling him what smells sexy on a man. You've got to go with your gut with scents. If it work on you, it just does,and you'll know it. Break those gender barriers!
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

If the guy is creepy in other ways, then it might add to the total package of creepiness.

If the guy is rather "normal", smart and confident, than it is a gutsy and free-thinking statement.

Gender is irrelevant.

That being said, I love YSL l'Homme, and my male SO is known to wear Miracle, Disney Princess Aurora, and Victoria's Secret scents as well.