Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Montale Aoud Rose Petals - could anyone enlighten me/us on this one

I got this blind and this has to be one of the most expensive EDP i have purchased so far...i chked out BN, Nowsmellthis and other boards for feedback...it's generally good but i felt they were being reviewed by ladies...may i have everyones perspective here on this one...? is this a sleeper in the montale line? of what i have heard and read, im sure it'll be nice, but curiosity is killing me as the Item is still in US! may i have an olfactory image painted...
    Last edited by jenson; 6th August 2008 at 02:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Montale Aoud Rose Petals - could anyone enlighten me/us on this one

I have a decant of ARP, and I love it. However, I also own Black Aoud, Attar, and a decant of Aoud Queen Rose, and with slight variation they are all riffs on each other. BA might be a bit more "oud-y" than the rest, but only a real completeist, or a rose-crazy (like myself) should have all of the above.
    If I had to come up with some distinction, I'd say that ARP has a bit more of a white, clear, tea rose top note to it. But that is me really digging for some difference.
    Also, if it's any consolation to you, if I had to re-choose which of the Montale's that I own... I'd probably have chosen your Roses Petals over the Attar. So, good choice!

Post Thanks / Like

You've probably already seen purplebird's "Montale Reviews" thread on the women's board, yeah? Seems to me that she gets the differences between the three I've worn spot on: Black Aoud, Attar and your Aoud Rose Petals.
    Rose Petals is the greenest, and freshest of the three, and the most like a real rose with its green/vegetal-spicy accord. Perversely, since I have the other two, I might like ARP the best. Attar I love but it can smell a little musty, a little of the medicine closet. And Black Aoud is very similar to Rose Petals but with the aoud dialed up in a way that obscures the rose a bit. All three are lovely and great masculines. Think you'll enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for re-assuring Guys!! sincerely appreciate your time.

so, money well spent!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I find ARP to be my favorite too. Good for those who want more bright rose and less dark oud. Also, it is the most unisex of the Rose-ouds I have tried. Not as feminine as Damascus, not as heavy as BA.
    Last edited by irish; 6th August 2008 at 03:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree to everything said here so far. Each has its own place in my top five Montales. (I am not up-to-date by almost 12 months though.) Queen rose would be my first choice for a mother, sister, or lady friend. Black Aoud I chose when it was very new and I didn't regret that for a second. Attar is as my safest rose mixing with the crowd. Safer than Voleur dR or any from Malle or Lutens.
    Last edited by narcus; 6th August 2008 at 03:45 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! thnx guys! looks like ill love it!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this post. This was answering some of my questions, in that I had not smelled Rose Petals or the Queen's Roses. If Rose Petals is stronger rose, less auod than Black, it is doable. I got a little bit of powdery sweetness, just a hint, from Attar, and yes, I found Damascus to be a bit more feminine. I want a Rose Montale I think and the ideal would be a spicier rose, rather than say a sweet rose or a raw earth rose.

Post Thanks / Like

No matter which one's better, as long as you only apply drops. It's the ray of light in smoky darkness then. If you overapply, you're the sun itself ....
    Aoud Roses Petals btw. is awesome as are the other ones, but one has to notice, that they all are within the same theme. I'm sure "normal people" might not even smell the difference if confronted with one after the other, but what they smell is definitely distinctivly Montale Aoud!
    Last edited by dr.creed; 6th August 2008 at 05:24 PM.
    dr.creed's decant sales
    can be found here:
    Crystal Flacon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dr.creed View Post
    Aoud Roses Petals btw. is awesome as are the other ones, but one has to notice, that they all are within the same theme. I'm sure "normal people" might not even smell the difference if confronted with one after the other, but what they smell is definitely distinctivly Montale Aoud!
    ya..i think trebor made tht comment too inthe reviews section...as long as its good! btw, this would be my first Montale anyway (i have a 2 ml of cuir D'Arabie, but none from the rose line)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    ya..i think trebor made tht comment too inthe reviews section...as long as its good! btw, this would be my first Montale anyway (i have a 2 ml of cuir D'Arabie, but none from the rose line)
    Oud Cuir d'Arabie is different, it's no rose aoud. Me, I like it, but some here actually hate it (hi eric) ....

One thing more about the Montale Aoud theme (or if you like) Aoud Roses Petals in general:

IMHO this is best worn at night. People, lots of people. Only some drops applied. This is going to blossom like nothing else I know. The sillige is not from this entire galaxy. You walk in the club or whatever, walk around, have some drinks and conversations, then walk out and greet your SotN. A classic Montale Aoud deja vu!

Sillage is actually quite close to Parfum d'Habit by MPG. I sold a decant to my father once, btw. the only fragrance he was immediately interested in. I told him to use drops only. Oh my goodness, maybe he was joyous or he completely forgot about it, but the whole house REEKED of Parfum d'Habit and after he went it stayed for almost an hour. Now I feel guilty as well, because I know I have been using Parfum d'Habit and Montale Aouds several times, spritzing three or more times. OK it was winter-time then, but I'm sure I was the attraction in the whole city. (scentwise of course, scentwise) LOL!
    dr.creed's decant sales
    can be found here:
    Crystal Flacon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dr.creed View Post
    Oud Cuir d'Arabie is different, it's no rose aoud. Me, I like it, but some here actually hate it (hi eric) ....

One thing more about the Montale Aoud theme (or if you like) Aoud Roses Petals in general:

IMHO this is best worn at night. People, lots of people. Only some drops applied. This is going to blossom like nothing else I know. The sillige is not from this entire galaxy. You walk in the club or whatever, walk around, have some drinks and conversations, then walk out and greet your SotN. A classic Montale Aoud deja vu!

Sillage is actually quite close to Parfum d'Habit by MPG. I sold a decant to my father once, btw. the only fragrance he was immediately interested in. I told him to use drops only. Oh my goodness, maybe he was joyous or he completely forgot about it, but the whole house REEKED of Parfum d'Habit and after he went it stayed for almost an hour. Now I feel guilty as well, because I know I have been using Parfum d'Habit and Montale Aouds several times, spritzing three or more times. OK it was winter-time then, but I'm sure I was the attraction in the whole city. (scentwise of course, scentwise) LOL!
    yeh! people will not take cuir d'arabie to likin immediately...i mean the first hour or so smells like the inside of a smoking pipe...thereafter revealing one of the best leather notes wit touch of oudh.....good for pot parties i think

yup..like i said, i havent got a clue on their rose line...

and boy, i think my 100 ml will last forever.. btw, i have 16 samples of Montale comin in anyways...so tht'll be a decider on whether it warrants one to buy any more from the rose line given there are (allegedly) only subtle differences...

thnx for sharing ur exp. with this one, appreciate it Dr. Creed.
    Last edited by jenson; 6th August 2008 at 07:25 PM.