Code of Conduct

Default How Can People Not Liek (funny?) Montale's Blue Amber?

I just got my bottle yesterday. Lasts forever, nice sillage, high quality; I love it. Yet, compared to Ambre Russe and Ambre Précieux, it's a generic amber. But, it's so well done, it is almost the amber archetype.
    Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 6th August 2008 at 05:59 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: How Can People Not Liek(;))Montale's Blue Amber?

probably because it's not made by Creed

Default Re: How Can People Not Liek (funny?) Montale's Blue Amber?

Well, I tried it from a sample yesterday and I just love it too.
    I follow your "generic amber" to a degree but there is something special about it that kind of escapes words. It is very well done. It also has a minimal freshness that I don't really get from other ambers.
    It now tops the Sultan as my favorite amber.

Smile Re: How Can People Not Liek (funny?) Montale's Blue Amber?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I just got my bottle yesterday. Lasts forever, nice sillage, high quality; I love it. Yet, compared to Ambre Russe and Ambre Précieux, it's a generic amber. But, it's so well done, it is almost the amber archetype.
    Any thoughts?

Ruggles, how would you describe the amber archetype? , sour, resinous, animalic, ...

BTW liek was exclusive to The Dreamer, you are infringing copyright laws here.

I think because it is such a stripped down and powerful amber scent that some may find its barebones ambery-ness to lack the complexity of other ambers. Personally, I really like this aspect of Blue Amber, enough to make it my next purchase.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by afraafra View Post
    Ruggles, how would you describe the amber archetype? , sour, resinous, animalic, ...

BTW liek was exclusive to The Dreamer, you are infringing copyright laws here.
    Yes, the archetype for amber is, for me at least, sour, resinous, animalic, and also sweet, rich and evocative of the Middle East. It's a base and not really a finished perfume. So it shouldn't have too many top notes, it should just mellow out on one's skin.

Default Re: How Can People Not Liek(;))Montale's Blue Amber?

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    probably because it's not made by Creed
    Best. Answer. Ever.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

i have the blue amber sample at home...will give it full wearing tomorrow but i think i'm already convinced its bottle worthy.....

Ruggles word is gold.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

I tried it last night, and couldn't get past the chemical tinge that hit my nose ... there's a smoothness that it just seems to be missing. I really wanted to like it too, as I've been in a bit of an amber groove recently.
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

Because it is one totally uninspired creation IMO that bores the hell out of me. I've a sample of it and tried it several times and could never understand the appeal. Compare BA to say Ambre Sultan..there's nothing really going on in BA.
    Ambre Precieux is my choice when it comes to amber frags.

I've tried my sample a couple of times now and have found it to be just way too much. Admittedly, I don't think I''m a pure amber guy. I like ambery notes in combination with others - like in M7, but I haven't been able to get into Amber Sultan or this Montale. I do like the MPG offering, though, so there may be hope for me yet. Anyway, the Montale is a veritable amber explosion. Last time It left me in shambers, er, shambles. I ended up scrubbing.
    For swap/sale: NIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), LIDGE, Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Basenotes Institution

I still haven't tried this one. I'm kind of scared it might displace my HG amber scent (Ambre Sultan). It sounds due to it's linear qualities, that it might smell great on a really hot, sweaty, summer day - no?

Where's Kelley (paintrman)? If I remember correctly, he loves Blue Amber!

It has been said before, I'm not the first: Blue Amber smells exactly like Ambre Extreme by L'Artisan Parfumeur. Even sillage and longevity is the same. I just can't sniff a difference.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    It now tops the Sultan as my favorite amber.
    I second that.

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    I think because it is such a stripped down and powerful amber scent that some may find its barebones ambery-ness to lack the complexity of other ambers. Personally, I really like this aspect of Blue Amber, enough to make it my next purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Yes, the archetype for amber is, for me at least, sour, resinous, animalic, and also sweet, rich and evocative of the Middle East. It's a base and not really a finished perfume. So it shouldn't have too many top notes, it should just mellow out on one's skin.
    That's exactly why I love Blue Amber - it's almost stripped down to its bare essentials, with very few supporting notes. It's also the closest amber fragrance (in smell and quality) to the pure amber oil you can get from, say, Oriscent.

Quote Originally Posted by bront82 View Post
    I tried it last night, and couldn't get past the chemical tinge that hit my nose ... there's a smoothness that it just seems to be missing. I really wanted to like it too, as I've been in a bit of an amber groove recently.
    The exact same thing happened to me, when I first tried it! However, I always found myself going back to it until that chemical tinge became almost unnoticeable. It's definitely more apparent in the opening than the drydown. Go on, give it another chance...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I still haven't tried this one. I'm kind of scared it might displace my HG amber scent (Ambre Sultan). It sounds due to it's linear qualities, that it might smell great on a really hot, sweaty, summer day - no?
    Due to its resinous nature, it should be as easy to wear during hot weather as SL's Arabie. I asked Pierre about this and he considers it to be an all-year round scent (he also confessed that Ambre Sultan was once his favourite amber scent).

Post Re: How Can People Not Liek (funny?) Montale's Blue Amber?

I think Ambre Sultan has Blue Amber by a nose, as far as I am concerned, but let me add that Blue Amber probably has the ability to morph, perhaps more than any other scent that I have ever worn. On my skin this goes on a pretty straight forward amber, than in about 20minutes os so I get this Ambry inscense that is out of this world. This goes on back, and forth for a good 3 or 4 hours.Till it dries down. Marvelous scent, worth every penny! Pierre Montale, was on top of his game when he created this fragrance.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

I find Blue Amber nostalgic because it reminds me of the amber/patchouli scents I remember from the 70s and early-to-mid 80s. One of the first Montales I tested over a year ago and it's still my favorite non-aoud Montale.

I haven't seen any strong statements against Blue Amber - haven't most comments been positive?.

I was never a big fan of Ambre Sultan because of its indian spice market take on the note (its just amber done in a spicy sweet lutens style), but Blue Amber has become a fave due to its laser like focus on showcasin a quality amber note. Ambre Russe is another good one that I may need to invest in.
    Last edited by zztopp; 7th August 2008 at 01:21 AM.
    -

Sorry to go ot here, but i always think of potato chips whenever i see the name Ruggles. Ruggles potato chips!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Ambre Russe is another good one that I may need to invest in.
    That's my holy grail Amber

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather