Code of Conduct

Default 80s Fragrance Question--Why Not?

I did a search and nothing with the 80s subject covered this for me so here it goes....

As I do research on scents and read reviews I always see a Verscae L'Homme or something like that where reviewers lament that no one makes scents like these anymore and how manly and strong they are and how it is all the same today, why aren't they more popular?Is that why many of you went niche, besides variety?I'd think many of these would still be good to go. I loved the 80s considering it was my teens and high school...10-20 years old. It was cologne heyday for me where Red, Eternity, Lauder for Men, Polo, etc was always a good choice.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 6th August 2008 at 07:52 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Default Re: 80s Fragrance Question--Why Not?

Shoulder pads and mullets were popular in the 80's but no one wears them anymore. It has to do with fashion. It is much less embarassing to wear a scent reminiscent of the 80's than it would be to walk around with a mullet.

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    Shoulder pads and mullets were popular in the 80's but no one wears them anymore. It has to do with fashion. It is much less embarassing to wear a scent reminiscent of the 80's than it would be to walk around with a mullet.
    Of course, I mean acid washed jeans..nono. But besides the few here and around the world who will notice if the scent is 80s and if it is good, why not? I'm asking because there seems to be the niche consensus among people that I read while they put down all new non-niche creations. So the 80s were good to scents. Retro is in sometimes too
    Last edited by ToughCool; 6th August 2008 at 07:58 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Um no one wears mullets anymore? Please come visit me in Tennessee, I can show you some outstanding mullets still in existence...as for shoulder pads?...I stay out of the drag bars.

I like and use 80's (and earlier!) frags all the time. Just part of the mix. For me, I just felt that a lot of the power frags from the 80's were just all too similar... started to bore me... and so I searched for something different. In fact, I think back to just a few years ago, Versace, Paco and Beverly Hills were two of my main staple scents.

There is nothing wrong with them at all... but just the learning process for me has shifted me towards trying newer and other complex fragrances.

And as far as mullets go... I just need to look out my kitchen window. Neighbor has one!
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Many frags from this era tend to be very strong "aromatics". Although I still love and use many of them, there are some that are even too strong for me. Also, my tastes have evolved so I have developed a liking for many new classes of frags as well. The question almost implies that one should not be expected to switch tastes from years earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    Many frags from this era tend to be very strong "aromatics". Although I still love and use many of them, there are some that are even too strong for me. Also, my tastes have evolved so I have developed a liking for many new classes of frags as well. The question almost implies that one should not be expected to switch tastes from years earlier.
    That really isn't what I was getting at. I was really just asking for explanations. I guess the way it seemed to me was the reviews I read were "80s fragrances were tops, good, powerful" and not I read that todays non-niche market is full of copycats. So I just wonder why some wouldn't go retro and wear the 80s more and not consider them just stinkbombs. Just like I'm learning and will evilve in scent tastes, I realize everyone else has. I just was wondering why they don't get more love sometimes when the reviews seem good. Maybe there is no answer
    Last edited by ToughCool; 6th August 2008 at 08:55 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

Long Live POLO

These 80's powerhouses never smell outdated:

Kouros(1981)-clove, oakmoss, green eucalyptus, incense, cedarwood, mace, camphor wood, benzoin
    Baie de Genièvre(1982)-juniper berry, cinnamon leaves, vetiver
    Green Irish Tweed(1985)-lemon, verbena, iris, violet leaves, mysore sandalwood, ambergris
    Bois du Portugal(1987)-lavender, cedar, vetiver, sandalwood

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Long Live POLO
    Polo came out in 1978...

These 80's powerhouses never smell outdated:

Kouros(1981)-clove, oakmoss, green eucalyptus, incense, cedarwood, mace, camphor wood, benzoin
    Baie de Genièvre(1982)-juniper berry, cinnamon leaves, vetiver
    Green Irish Tweed(1985)-lemon, verbena, iris, violet leaves, mysore sandalwood, ambergris
    Bois du Portugal(1987)-lavender, cedar, vetiver, sandalwood
    I am always nice here and refuse to get into the argument I have hidden from but I will never understand Kouros. Yes I wore it in the 80s and no, I never will again. that is my comment. the other 3 niche ones...never knew about them then
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    I will never understand Kouros. Yes I wore it in the 80s and no, I never will again.
    Please try Kouros again. It has been reformulated and it is the only non-Creed I wear, so it must be good.

Please try Kouros again. It has been reformulated and it is the only non-Creed I wear, so it must be good.
    I have and it hasn't changed a bit. I just reviewed it so I can just write about it once. I wore it as a teen and tried it just recently the same powdery old diaper smell just smacked me in the face. Its almost like the whole love for it is some grand joke on basenotes to see how many people they can trick into saying they like it. Like candid camera. I really love alot of 80s scents and this one just baffles me. But to each their own and that is why we are all here helping out. I would never bash people's taste.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 6th August 2008 at 09:46 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

That really isn't what I was getting at. I was really just asking for explanations. I guess the way it seemed to me was the reviews I read were "80s fragrances were tops, good, powerful" and not I read that todays non-niche market is full of copycats. So I just wonder why some wouldn't go retro and wear the 80s more and not consider them just stinkbombs. Just like I'm learning and will evilve in scent tastes, I realize everyone else has. I just was wondering why they don't get more love sometimes when the reviews seem good. Maybe there is no answer
    TC, it's not that simple. We've got the same age so I know these colognes quite well. Many of these have been reformulated, they've changed and you won't find the magic in them except if you get a vintage bottle on Ebay.

The ones I liked were Azzaro, Drakar Noir, Ted Lapidus, Quorum, etc.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

I always wear Kouros on first dates and have received many compliments and not one complaint. What have I got to lose? I would advise against spraying it on your clothes as some have suggested. My dry cleaner complains on how difficult it is to remove the smell from my dry clean-only shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    TC, it's not that simple. We've got the same age so I know these colognes quite well. Many of these have been reformulated, they've changed and you won't find the magic in them except if you get a vintage bottle on Ebay.

The ones I liked were Azzaro, Drakar Noir, Ted Lapidus, Quorum, etc.
    I got ya on having to hunt them down. I did like Quorum, Xeryus, Polo, Drakar, Red for Men, Lauder for Men, Eternity, etc.
    --Ben Hogan

While there are a handful of 80's scents I still enjoy quite a lot, I find that what I'm really looking for is something modern that captures the spirit or essence of the 80's.... As others have mentioned, a lot of those scents have been reformulated and don't smell as good as they used to. Others are just plain outdated....

I always wear Kouros on first dates and have received many compliments and not one complaint. What have I got to lose? I would advise against spraying it on your clothes as some have suggested. My dry cleaner complains on how difficult it is to remove the smell from my dry clean-only shirts.
    Again, that is awesome. I would never put down your taste because everyone smells things differently. I just wore it a ton when younger and have tried it within the last months and the smell I was used to was still there. I, personally, have no faith with it on me. But I'm glad your dates like it
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    While there are a handful of 80's scents I still enjoy quite a lot, I find that what I'm really looking for is something modern that captures the spirit or essence of the 80's.... As others have mentioned, a lot of those scents have been reformulated and don't smell as good as they used to. Others are just plain outdated....
    I didn't really know this so it makes more sense now. That is too bad. I really enjoyed some of them.
    --Ben Hogan

Why, as a matter of fact, I'm wearing Xeryus today. It takes about half the number of squirts as other stuff I wear, apparently, it's got monster sillage, and it lasts and lasts and lasts. I don't have any problem with 80's scents, although some haven't aged as well as others.

I started a thread last night comparing Tom Ford Extreme to an 80's powerhouse fragrance, but I guess not enough people have tried TFE to be interested.

Blog Entries

i think mullets were invented SOLELY for people who wear Kuoros......it's the perfect haircut for the fragrance that chases all the women away! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by T. Rex, Esq. View Post
    Why, as a matter of fact, I'm wearing Xeryus today. It takes about half the number of squirts as other stuff I wear, apparently, it's got monster sillage, and it lasts and lasts and lasts. I don't have any problem with 80's scents, although some haven't aged as well as others.

I started a thread last night comparing Tom Ford Extreme to an 80's powerhouse fragrance, but I guess not enough people have tried TFE to be interested.
    Mentioned it above...really loved that stuff and the bottle.
    --Ben Hogan

Blog Entries

I think this is just typical. For example, all the "I love the ______ decade" shows on VH1. Similar things are said about shaving soaps/creams and how they're not as good as they were "way back when". Tastes change, then there is a revival of taste from 10-30 years ago.

The 80s stuff? I can leave it. Most of it was made in the vein of "stinking stronger, longer" without much attempt at real artistry. Polo started the trend and everything after that seemed to only want to be "the next Polo" and not necessarily anything original. In my opinion.

I've begun to develop an interest in scents made pre-70s. There are qualities about them that just don't seem to be present in the stuff made since the 80s. Niche or otherwise.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."