Code of Conduct

Default How do BN reviews influence your sampling and purchasing?

As perhaps many of you are, I can't imagine not being able to read BN reviews when researching fragrances, and they often become the source of inspiration for me to try new fragrances and turn me onto new houses I would otherwise have no exposure to.

The reviews, and the quality of the reviews, plays a big part in the review tool, and I've been thinking a lot about what aspects of reviews are helpful and what are not. Also, BN reviews are important to a fragrance, especially a new one, in getting good word of mouth and 'buzz' about a product to the fragrance-aficionado public.

I'm curious how everyone else sees the reviews? How do you approach writing reviews?

And no, I am not in the industry or have an ulterior motive, I'm just really interested.

Default Re: How do BN reviews influence your sampling and purchasing?

I write reviews as bluntly as a scent hits me and stays with me. I figure people should know all types of reactions from all types of noses.

As for reading reviews. I do depend on them but only to a certain point. I look for things that might scare me off. BUT I'm starting to learn that many scents that I found great on me get mixed reviews here and sometimes it is for basic stuff that has no meaning like, "nothing to this stuff"; "just like others;" "dosn't really impress me" To me those might be coming from someone who loves niche and thinks all non-niche is horrble copycats. I actually like many normal, non-niche stuff so I try to read a little deeper into the comments regarding the notes.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    I write reviews as bluntly as a scent hits me and stays with me. I figure people should know all types of reactions from all types of noses.

As for reading reviews. I do depend on them but only to a certain point. I look for things that might scare me off. BUT I'm starting to learn that many scents that I found great on me get mixed reviews here and sometimes it is for basic stuff that has no meaning like, "nothing to this stuff"; "just like others;" "dosn't really impress me" To me those might be coming from someone who loves niche and thinks all non-niche is horrble copycats. I actually like many normal, non-niche stuff so I try to read a little deeper into the comments regarding the notes.
    I think there's definitely funny business with some of the reviews - I think the worst is when people spray something on their arm and start writing.... I could go off on why I love and hate the reviews, but I'm not sure anyone cares.

I will say that Foetidus writes the best reviews by far.... I'd love to buy that guy a beer to thank him for his effort. The fact that he's written almost 1700 reviews - all of them thorough - is a tremendous asset to this site.

I've never review'd a Frag yet....

Havin' said that, I rely on them for my initial impressions- I've purchased most of my collection online, & blind without having tried them first.( Just one of tha' "advantages" of livin' out here in tha' sticks,I guess.)
    At first I really looked for tha' "smells similar to..." because that's what I could relate to, now that I've had some experience, I look for other members reviews that I'm in synch with, along with note combinations (now that I can start to I.D. them!)
    A frag that gets mixed reviews will be a "try before you buy".
    - A spritz of Caron may be quite continental, but (a flacon of) Guerlain is a perfumisto's best friend...

I only bought one fragrance since I know you, and guess which one it is ? Azzaro (ouch, Renato won't be happy ... ).
    I bought it because when I have it on the wrist, it's a concentrate of beautiful souvenirs, nothing more. So no, it's not your fault, it's mine ! But you should have told me the formula had change
    Last edited by Night; 7th August 2008 at 11:27 PM.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

It only affects my decisions if I decide to do a blind buy. I don't mean to be rude or anything, but it seems like a lot of the reviews are written after less than one hour of wear (particularly the negative ones) and many more are written after only one wear. It makes me read all reviews with a healthy pinch of salt.

I have used the reviews and the discussions in this forum almost exclusively in making purchasing decisions. There are a number of guys who write a lot of really helpful reviews. But there are also a lot of comments made in this forum which are just as helpful as the reviews. I'm really thankful to everyone here who is so generous in helping others figure out what frags might be suitable for them. And of course, if you can formulate a clear intelligent question, then you will get all the expert advice you need.

I've noticed with concern that many, many reviews are being lost by the system. I hope the admin can figure out what's wrong and restore those reviews.

I agree that reviews that are written without having worn the fragrance over a protracted period of time are not very useful. But, if someone doesn't like a frag, naturally they aren't going to keep wearing it, so that's just the nature of the beast.
    Last edited by aeromatic; 7th August 2008 at 11:44 PM.

I decided to blind buy a bunch of different kinds of "cheapo" frags based upon BN reviews and I think it was a great idea. That said, over time, I came to realize that some reviewers were mainly focused on the top notes, and so their reviews were not as helpful for future purchases. You can usually recognize these because the reviewer will say something like: "man, this is great juice, but it's gone in like 5 minutes."

I find the reviews and discussions on the boards are invaluable for helping me decide which frags I'd like to try. I like how different reviewers focus on different things; some like foetidus' review are very thorough, others are full of purple prose and others are just very brief first impressions of a frag. They all have their place here on BN.

I find it helps when a reviewer has a wardrobe that I can browse and see how they have rated frags that I like or dislike. If a reviewer likes many of the same frags that I do then I tend rely more on that person's reviews when making my decisions.
    Last edited by surreality; 7th August 2008 at 11:53 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

The reviews definitely influence my sample selection, but not really my purchasing. I also pay more attention to certain reviewers than to others, not only because some are obviously more knowledgeable, but also because after reading a great many of someone's comments, I can tell if that individual's taste is similar to mine. I think probably most of us do that and have certain people whose opinions we take very seriously because of our olfactory compatibility.

well, if everyone on BN has a thumbs down for a frag. i dare not waste my time getting a sample too. as simple as that.

i look out for all reviewers and try to paint a collective picture of the scent...i like the style of Vibert and ZZtop - they speak from heart with no BS and talk in a language that i understand. Pluran well, amazing reviewer, but deleted most of his posts. Trebor is extremely hard to please so i ignore his reviews sirslarty and his one line updates which is always interesting... the mysterious odysseusm with lovely reviews tht i alwasy count on..ubuandibeme, jaimeB, the goodlife, caltha , Nthny and so many more!!! this site is just a treasure chest.
    Last edited by jenson; 8th August 2008 at 12:08 AM.

These days I wouldn't buy anything without thoroughly researching it here. I might not agree, but I can at least get an informed opinion.

Basenotes has changed my life!

Blog Entries

Initially, I relied on them a lot for guiding my sampling. The reviews are good when taken as a whole, though I agree that the one-liner reviews "smells like dish soap" or "not for me" aren't helpful. Which dish soap? Why not for you? Details in reviews help a lot.

Now, I rely on them more for finding out what's in something so I can avoid it. I basically can't stand vanilla (some exceptions) in a frag, so I'll look to see if its mentioned. Or the word "gourmand". I don't care to smell like food and gourmand quite often includes vanilla.

All of which I learned from reviews. So they're educational in more ways than just "what should I buy". I appreciate everyone who takes the time to write a review of any kind. As long as it has some thought behind it and some detail.
    Last edited by Hoos; 8th August 2008 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Edited for spelling. I do know the difference between right and write. Argh!
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    The reviews definitely influence my sample selection, but not really my purchasing. I also pay more attention to certain reviewers than to others, not only because some are obviously more knowledgeable, but also because after reading a great many of someone's comments, I can tell if that individual's taste is similar to mine. I think probably most of us do that and have certain people whose opinions we take very seriously because of our olfactory compatibility.
    I totally agree.

Good ideas - this is the feedback I was hoping for!

There's nothing I hate more than lazy reviews... you can soooo tell when someone sprays their arm and then sits down at the computer. I don't think I've ever grasped a fragrance well enough to describe it on first wear... this is why I love Foetidus' reviews. He really gets to know the fragrance before writing, and I feel like I know the fragrance when I'm done with his review. Even when I disagree with his opinion, I understand why he thinks what he does. I can't imagine how much time he spent writing each of his 1700 reviews, it really is amazing.

Also, inaccessible personal comments like "this makes me think of the colors blue and green" are totally useless. Even worse are the throwaway lazy criticisms like "Smells like Old Spice, but with different notes." This tells me nothing and only tells me that the reviewer didn't take the time to consider how to convey their opinion. It's as though the reviewer is more interested in seeing their name published on this site and getting their review count up than on providing useful feedback.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think I'm a great reviewer, but I wear fragrances a few times before reviewing and think about what I'm going to write. When people are forming ideas and creating first impressions based on what I write, it's worth the effort.

Basenotes reviews are only good for telling you how bad a scent is, not necessarily how good it is.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    I think there's definitely funny business with some of the reviews - I think the worst is when people spray something on their arm and start writing.... I could go off on why I love and hate the reviews, but I'm not sure anyone cares.

I will say that Foetidus writes the best reviews by far.... I'd love to buy that guy a beer to thank him for his effort. The fact that he's written almost 1700 reviews - all of them thorough - is a tremendous asset to this site.
    Word!!LOL. I always look for his reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    well, if everyone on BN has a thumbs down for a frag. i dare not waste my time getting a sample too. as simple as that.

i look out for all reviewers and try to paint a collective picture of the scent...i like the style of Vibert and ZZtop - they speak from heart with no BS and talk in a language that i understand. Pluran well, amazing reviewer, but deleted most of his posts. Trebor is extremely hard to please so i ignore his reviews sirslarty and his one line updates which is always interesting... the mysterious odysseusm with lovely reviews tht i alwasy count on..ubuandibeme, jaimeB, the goodlife, caltha , Nthny and so many more!!! this site is just a treasure chest.
    LOL..noticed this too.

Again, many ones I love have gotten a mixed bag but the comments aren't in depth so I can tell who is paying attention.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 8th August 2008 at 02:48 AM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan