Code of Conduct

Default Any other fragrances with an orange note like in TDH?

Not a bright, crisp citrus orange, more the old creamy orange skin note from TDH. TDH is fast on its way to becoming my personal fragrance thanks to that note, although I am wondering how it will hold up in the winter.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Any other fragrances with an orange note like in TDH?

Try Eau des Merveilles by Hermes. It's marketed to women but many guys (including me) wear it. It's extremely easy to sample at Sephora.

Frederic Malle's Bigarade Concentree reminds me of TDH, only if you removed most of the earthiness of TDH and replaced with with more orange peel. They're both made by JC Ellena too.
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Prada - Prada Man/Amber Pour Homme
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

A L'Artisan Cap (old or new style)

Clothing + Goodies for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Try Eau des Merveilles by Hermes. It's marketed to women but many guys (including me) wear it. It's extremely easy to sample at Sephora.
    My mom wears that and every time I'm at her house, I run to her bathroom and squirt some on my wrist for my own enjoyment.

Sometimes I try to get up the nerve to go buy my own bottle. I'm not quite ready to make the leap to women's fragrances yet.

Baby steps.

TRex, you could always take a little decant bottle with you next time you visit your mom's house...

A citrus fragrance that has good longevity (on me) is Guerlain AA Mandarine Basilic. Also, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta is a great citrus, but it really does turn into a fougere in the later stages. I'd say the AA is more bright/sharp, and the AdP is more creamy/smooth.

Montale Aromatic Lime : Bitter Orange notes, Myrrh, Patchouli.
    Tom Ford for Men : I get a distinct old (dried) orange peel note from this one.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I second the Tom Ford for Men. Not really that similar to Terre D'Hermes, but has an interesting orange note that I really like.

Even though it's grapefruit and not orange, try Hermes' Un Jardin Sur Le Nil-- also done by JC Ellena. It reminds me a lot of Terre D'Hermes but done askew in a fruitier, more unisex direction. Plus Un Jardin Sur Le Nil has insanely good longevity-- it never stops.

Montale Red Vetiver, very similar to TdH in many aspects, not a cheap one though

L'Anarchiste has an interesting orange note. It's more bitter and biting than TdH but settles down into a smoother orangey/cedar/musk skin scent as the drydown unfolds. Last time I wore TdH I was really feeling a similarity between the two scents, although L'Anarchiste is definitely heavier and spicier.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 7th August 2008 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    L'Anarchiste has an interesting orange note. It's more bitter and biting than TdH but settles down into a smoother orangey/cedar/musk skin scent as the drydown unfolds. Last time I wore TdH I was really feeling a similarity between the two scents, although L'Anarchiste is definitely heavier and spicier.

Its funny that you mention L'Anarchiste, because I think I have the balls to wear it again. I first tried it a few years ago when it came out, and I remember the notes seemed too 'experimental' to me. The metal note reminded me of blood for some reason, so the combination of spice and blood made me get an odd association in my head of someone being shot on Christmas.

I'm strange, I know.

But now I appreciate the non-mainstream fragrances more and more, and I can actually see myself wearing this again. I'm in the process of rebuilding my wardrobe after losing it all last year, so when I re-order The Third Man I'll probably buy a bottle of L'Anarchiste as well.

If you think about it, TDH and Anarchiste are sort of isomers of each other. Both take non mainstream approaches to orange, both have very interesting metal/ mineral notes, and both have a non standard approach to spice. Hmmm.

Blog Entries

M;Men is quite a good scent sold only at Sephora, and has a very very nice, calm, orange tone spread through quite cleanly. i think you can still get it for 50% off at the sephora website.

Talking Re: Any other fragrances with an orange note like in TDH?

Its funny that you mention L'Anarchiste, because I think I have the balls to wear it again. I first tried it a few years ago when it came out, and I remember the notes seemed too 'experimental' to me. The metal note reminded me of blood for some reason, so the combination of spice and blood made me get an odd association in my head of someone being shot on Christmas.
    For some reason that made me hoot noisily with laughter.

I must be weird, too.