Code of Conduct

Default Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille affordable alternative

Hey ladies ...

As I'm not too smart in the vanilla department, I thought I'd come to the experts. What's a great vanilla scent that won't cost me a fortune?

Any suggestions?
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

Default Re: Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille affordable alternative

Not sure what's out of your price range, but here are some suggestions:

Coty's Vanilla Fields is drugstore-cheap and positively reviewed in Perfumes: The Guide.

SL's Un Bois Vanille is delicious and lovely.

Annick Goutal's Vanille Exquise is a smoky, less-gourmand vanilla.

None. What will NOT cost you an arm and a leg is smaller amount (TPC, perhaps?) or a bottle split.

In the meantime, please check La Maison de la Vanille vanillas (esp. Madagascar and Mexique), Guerlain Shalimar (*khm khm*), Five Star Fragrances Royal Secret. And yes, I know you are a man, right? What are your thoughts on Givenchy Pi?
    Last edited by Twolf; 7th August 2008 at 10:37 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Brent have you smelled the Micaleff vanilla scent that all the guys are raving about? Note Vanillee, I think is the name. I haven't smelled it, but Scent Bar has them now and you could always run over there and smell it.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if it's any more affordable than the Guerlain. Oops...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if it's any more affordable than the Guerlain. Oops...
    Mike you have the most expensive taste ... you are the worst influence!

I'm very tempted but trying to be good. It's easy for something to be beautiful and expensive. But its far more difficult for it to be beautiful and cheap. This is true in design, and it is true in fragrance.

Why I posted in the women's section is that men's scents which feature predominate vanilla notes, often read very synthetic to me. There is something sharp to them. What makes the Guerlain so wonderful is the absolute smoothness of the composition. Granted, there isn't much development, but the vanilla glides through the air, it doesn't cut. Without smelling like a school girl (or spending a king's ransom), I was hoping there was a secret stash of good vanilla lurking in some shop somewhere.

I can always dream, can't I?
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

I love Note Vanilee, but I don't think it's much less expensive than SDV (though I personally like it a lot more). I love Molinard's Les Senteurs La Vanille (or something like that) as a mid-range basic vanilla. It has a sharpness and booziness that's not a school girley. I also love Les Nereides Douceur de la Vanille (and again I'm probably completely messing up the name but I'm rushing) as something that's in the spendey range but not in the same orbit as Guerlain. Profumum Vanille Bourbon is nice, as is IPDF Zenzero with vanilla and ginger. I own the latter..it's still mostly vanilla but the ginger adds a kick. Check my wardrobe because I'm a total vanilla freak and if there is something there that you really want to try pm me. And I agree...the La Maison de la Vanille range is very nice...I especially like the Madagascar. Out of stock at Sephora online but maybe in the stores. The Molinard I think I got on eBay, and of course there's always luckyscent and Perfumed Court....

I can't get enough of SDV, but the Vanilla Bourbon from Yves Rocher might be worth a sniff -- only $4 for a generous "try-me" size.
    Last edited by tang; 8th August 2008 at 12:31 AM.

LaVanilla (the origional) and BPAL's Snake Oil are my favorite vanillas.
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Lately, I have been taken by L'Artisan Vanilia.

Others to try:
    La Maison de la Vanille Vanille Sauvage de Madagascar and Vanille Noire du Mexique
    Montale Vanille Absolu

BTW the above smell nothing like SDV, but they are quality vanilla scents you can find under $100. Except maybe the Montale.

I agree with the comparison between SDV and Maison de la Vanille (Mexique and Madagascar). I think Sephora did a closeout--I got the body lotion there for $5 this summer.

Even cheaper is Bath and Body Works Vanilla Sugar layered with Sensuous Amber.

I think you should save your pennies and buy what you really want.

In a pinch: vanilla extract.

Neiman Marcus in San Francisco may send you a sample if you ask nicely.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by bront82 View Post
    Mike you have the most expensive taste ... you are the worst influence!

I'm very tempted but trying to be good. It's easy for something to be beautiful and expensive. But its far more difficult for it to be beautiful and cheap. This is true in design, and it is true in fragrance.

Why I posted in the women's section is that men's scents which feature predominate vanilla notes, often read very synthetic to me. There is something sharp to them. What makes the Guerlain so wonderful is the absolute smoothness of the composition. Granted, there isn't much development, but the vanilla glides through the air, it doesn't cut. Without smelling like a school girl (or spending a king's ransom), I was hoping there was a secret stash of good vanilla lurking in some shop somewhere.

I can always dream, can't I?
    True, true - a good vanilla shouldn't have to be expensive...we're talking about vanilla here.

There's some good recommendations already in this thread. Get to it! Good luck.

Please consider and try Ava Luxe's Turkish Vanilla. It is a very adult vanilla (not sweet), complex and lovely. The price can't be beat.

If you can a hold of the original L'Occitane Vanille Bourbon you may find a wonderful alternative to the SDV. However, take note that L'Occitane dicked around with this one through three iterations, first changing it to an orchid vanilla, then back to a pod vanilla (although not nearly so good as the original), then again into a later version. This pops up on eBay and while it occasionally sells for a criminal price, often there are parfum minis for peanuts.

I wear the Goutal, which features a noticeable immortelle note. I also have Maison de la Vanille Madagascar, Givree, and Mexique. Of these, I think I prefer the patchouli-based Givree.

All right ... here's where I'm at -

I have a decant of the MdlV Vanille Madagascar coming
    I ordered the try me Yves Rocher
    and I'm searching for the others,

thanks for the all the suggestions ... who knew I'd be bitten with the vanilla bug!

True, true - a good vanilla shouldn't have to be expensive...we're talking about vanilla here.
    Actually, high quality natural vanilla is very expensive. The essential oil or absolute is in the same price magnitude as rose absolute.

While Turkish Vanilla is lovely, it's nutty-
    SDV isn't.

Smoky, dry vanilla- go SMN Vaniglia...
    Very close [ not the same], and about $100 for a big bottle.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Actually, high quality natural vanilla is very expensive. The essential oil or absolute is in the same price magnitude as rose absolute.
    You are correct.

However many fragrances we love do not contain 'natural' vanilla, rather tons of molecules arranged to smell like vanilla. I'm not saying that SDV doesn't contain natural vanilla, maybe it does (and if it does, then I think this justifies the price) - but I think many skilfully blended vanilla fragrances (such as those listed above in this thread) don't.

I think The body shop has a nice warm vanilla ( vanilla perfume oil), and it´s very affordable Top notes are lemon, peach, apricot and plum; middle notes are rose, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley, ylang-ylang, tuberose and orange blossom; base notes are sandalwood, vanilla, amber and musk.

I personally think, that Yves Rochers vanilla smells very synthetic.
    Last edited by dreamflower; 10th August 2008 at 07:26 PM.

You are correct.

However many fragrances we love do not contain 'natural' vanilla, rather tons of molecules arranged to smell like vanilla. I'm not saying that SDV doesn't contain natural vanilla, maybe it does (and if it does, then I think this justifies the price) - but I think many skilfully blended vanilla fragrances (such as those listed above in this thread) don't.
    I'd be curious to know how much natural vanilla, if any, Guerlain used in these too. I do think the they're good quality fragrances, but the vanilla seems mostly synthetic.

Too bad they don't sell these in smaller sizes.

Vanille Noire du Mexique (La Maison de la vanille) is not bad at all but still expensive.
    The cheapest (but still good) ones are from Sud Comptoir Pacifique. All their fragrances contain lots of vanilla so you have to try them on to find the one you like. Maybe Vanille Abricot.

Now, you have to know that all these vanillas are nice but synthetic. When I wear vanilla, I wear the real stuff, Vanilla Bourbon Absolute diluted in alcohol (4%) and it's much more nicer and richer than all you can find on the market. Mine comes from Hévéa in France (the lab is in Spain) but I'm sure you can easily find one in the US.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Quote Originally Posted by Minou2 View Post
    I'd be curious to know how much natural vanilla, if any, Guerlain used in these too. I do think the they're good quality fragrances, but the vanilla seems mostly synthetic.

Too bad they don't sell these in smaller sizes.
    To my nose, SDV vanilla is the same as the CSP vanilla and it's synthetic. It's just the way they worked it out which is better.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Affordable alternative to SDV? There is nothing that compares, SDV is orgasmic. The only fragrance that is worthy of comparison is Le Labo Vanille 44, and I still feel that SDV is far more delicious.

SDV is worth every penny. If money is that serious of a concern though, Gaultier2 is dirt cheap...
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances