Code of Conduct

Default Scents and Sinus Problems

I'm having some real big trouble with this hobby at times. I have a deviated septum. Have for a long time. I always had allergies too but the past few years they have been under control with saline irrigation and Nasacort. I can't use any decongestants. Anyways, the last few weeks I have gotten some really, really bad sinus headaches and congestion following using mostly Niche scents. Anyone else have this issue?
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Default Re: Scents and Sinus Problems

You need to sniff your scents less.

I also had this when I tested multiple frags every day for about a week.
    And like I read in your topic, you're constantly testing....

Basenotes Institution

Stay away from the scents - I know that's extremely hard for us fragrance enthusiasts but you could do serious damage to your nose if you keep sniffing when your nose is trying to heal, decongest, etc.

Exclamation Re: Scents and Sinus Problems

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    I'm having some real big trouble with this hobby at times. I have a deviated septum. Have for a long time. I always had allergies too but the past few years they have been under control with saline irrigation and Nasacort. I can't use any decongestants. Anyways, the last few weeks I have gotten some really, really bad sinus headaches and congestion following using mostly Niche scents. Anyone else have this issue?
    Take some time off. We DON'T want to lose you as a contributor. Talk to an allergist about your symptoms and make sure you aren't risking any permanent damage!

Dependent

I've had 2 immediate family members suffer from breast cancer, and one of the doc's advice was to not take in too much chemically forumalated scents as they are toxic to an extend. both my aunts were adviced against using any sort of fragrances, and i think there have been a couple of books written on how to sustain a cancer stricken life, and ive personally read that apart from food intake, the chemicals from scents of any sorts are best not to be inhaled. After all too much inhaling of chemicals ie frags, is quite damaging, try to google a medical search on the harms of chemical scents and should be able to yeild some very good articles and research material. just try to refrain from sniffing too much.other than frags, i use only unscented facial and body products for that matter, since i used frags quite alot daily.....

You must be allergic to something in one or more of the fragrances you've been trying. Maybe limit yourself to one frag at a time (morning, afternoon, evening) so that you can readily identify the culprit, if you run into it again. Best of luck.

I am sensitive to some synthetic fragrance molecules. They cause tight, sore throat, runny, congested nose and postnasal drip. One of these is Iso E Super. I think there is also a synthetic patchouli accord that does it. At any rate, I don't use the fragrances if they do this to me. I tend to have more luck with more expensive fragrances that have a higher percentage of natural ingredients. However, I am sure there are some naturals which also could cause sensitivity--I just haven't figured out which ones yet.

One thing the allergist told me--repeated exposure to irritants can cause a true allergy or chemical sensitivity down the road. So, if you are having trouble now, best to avoid the offenders. Then, as suggested, try only one at a time to find out which ones are really a problem.

For years I thought that the headaches I got were sinus related because I would feel a pain in the sinus area and get a nasal discharge. However, when I described them to my Ear, Nose and Throat doctor, he said they were NOT sinus headaches, but rather migraines.

Subsequently I researched migraines and realized that is what they were. Different foods (and scents) act as triggers.

Of course I am not making a diagnosis here. Two things have helped: (a) avoid triggers when possible (which is the same as avoiding allergens) and (b) taking a migraine medication when I got a headache have both done wonders for me.

If you haven't done so you might consult an otolaryngologist and find out if you have polyps. Facial pain can be one of the symptoms. If you do, he may offer you steroids or surgical removal, and if you go for the surgery, they will straighten out your septum first. Most people who go through this find their sense of smell improves afterward, along with major reduction in congestion and infections and so on. Unfortunately the polyps tend to return in seven to 10 years.

Someone in Taiwan told me it's a very common problem and a very common operation there because of the humid climate.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    After all too much inhaling of chemicals ie frags, is quite damaging, try to google a medical search on the harms of chemical scents and should be able to yeild some very good articles and research material
    There is a huge amount of data on chemicals used in scents and human exposures. I'm trying to think of the book that I used to regularly use in my former job as an enviromental health chemist, a huge multi volume work (Patty's Handbook of Toxicologial data or something; Patty's is definitely in the name though) that listed the all of the major exposure limits. However, unless one is a chemist or an industrial hygienist, most of the data will be of very little use.
    Last edited by surreality; 9th August 2008 at 12:14 AM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    Have you tried using a neti pot for nasal irrigation? They work wonders and really help relieve and reduce allergy symptoms.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    Have you tried using a neti pot for nasal irrigation? They work wonders and really help relieve and reduce allergy symptoms.
    I use the squeeze bottle but it the same concept, Twice a day for 2 years I have used the saline solution and it has kept me from getting upper respitory infections. That along with Nasacort. It has been more the scent smelling lately that really has brought it on...especially some more of the musky ones.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Basenotes Plus

Oakmoss, a very common ingredient in fragrances, is perhaps the single biggest cause of fragrance related allergies and reactions.

Going on the allergy train, try single notes or oils or track the fragrances to narrow down the causes. If you've had a complete allergy test that would help.