Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Black Jeans---Indie Guy, I owe you a beer!

I've been lurking and reading BN for quite some time now, and I remember a while ago Indie Guy posted a review of Black Jeans raving about it and if I recall correctly, he got bit by a co-worker after wearing it. I chuckled at it, but didn't really give it a second thought because Versace is one of my forsaken houses. By forsaken I mean I have never, ever found a single fragrance of theirs that I liked, and The Dreamer has the distinct honor of being the only fragrance that made me so nauseous after applying that I vomited. This isn't exaggeration for the sake of effect. Two sprays gave me such a headache that I immediately went home and tried to shower and still threw up. I have no idea what in gods name they do over there at Versace, but I'll have none of it.

Side note: I find many of their female fragrances quite pleasant and like to smell them on women around me.

Back to the main story. For some reason I decided to try Black Jeans because it seems so different from whats out there, I got a decent enough price and figured if I hated it, I'd give it to a friend. Came in the mail today, let it cool a little then sprayed it on before work.

WOW.

I am so glad I quit smoking because now I get the full effect of fragrances like this. The opening gives off a gas/rubber type smell, also smells a little like olives to me. Reminds me of the top note of olive in an Armani fragrance I had some years back, can't remember what it was for the life of me. I don't get much nutmeg at all which is a good thing, I'm not a fan of the note. The ginger and vetiver have a damn field day on my skin and come exploding off a few minutes later. The ginger isn't a 'wet' ginger, it reminds me of a dry ginger from 212 men if that makes any sense. And the vetiver isn't a bright vetiver like in the Guerlain vetiver (second incarnation anyway, haven't had the pleasure of smelling the first or the letdown of the third). As it dries down it gives off a hint of patchouli, with the sandalwood keeping it dry, it's not a sweet sandalwood at all. And the musk gives a hot skin smell too. I can't comment on the true lasting power, I could still smell it 9 hours later when I got home from work and I immediately sprayed more on because I love it.

It met with high praise at work too. One of the women asked me if I was wearing something new, so I had her come over for a closer sniff. She buried her nose in my neck, and stayed there just breathing in and out then stepped back and said "Ohhh yeah" with an expression on her face that made me wish I was single for a moment. The really funny thing is the only other fragrance of mine that ever made her react that way was Gendarme V! I even caught a customer smelling the air when I walked by and smiling, which is nice reaction to get.

I can't find anything wrong with Black Jeans. It's very, very dry, which I love. We're talking Trussardi Uomo here. This is one of the most purely masculine fragrances I've encountered that is still versatile enough to I think be worn in a multitude of settings. It's been discontinued, which is a positive and negative depending on how you look at it. And it's dirt cheap too.

In summary, thank you Indie Guy and everyone else here for their opinions. You managed to talk me into trying a horribly named fragrance from a house I really, really hate, and I came away with a gem!

Default Re: Black Jeans---Indie Guy, I owe you a beer!

wow, is all I'm gonna say till I test this.. and test this I shall....lolz but that happened to me with TdH the other day also...so hurray for Basenotes......
    Any Knowledge Is Good Knowledge For Me.......

Post Thanks / Like

And friend of mine has this in his collection. I tried a little of it and my first impression was that his bottle had gone rancid. It did not really evolve much after that either. I have nothing else to compare it to (no other bottle), so I'm left with that!

*EDIT* I just realized that I made a mistake. He has METAL Jeans, not Black Jeans in his collection...and that had a rancid smell. Sorry for my confusion!
    Last edited by atrac; 8th August 2008 at 12:04 PM.

Well, Shalashaska, I'm very honored by this thread and I'm thrilled that you are a fan of Versace Black Jeans. Actually, the scent that got me bitten was Barbaso... I mean, Rive Gauche Pour Homme. But I've said many times that Rive Gauche Pour Homme and Versace Black Jeans (while not smelling all that similar), seem to have a similar effect on people and share a certain quality--which Joel_Cairo brilliantly summed up as "The Levi's 501 Jeans of the fragrance world. And many times have I received emphatic compliments on Versace Black Jeans.

The types of scents that work the best for me overall are very dry, somewhat spicy, peppery warm scents. They work the best with my chemistry and personality overall I suppose (Some people are not going to like it, but I maintain that compliments are the single best indicator of whether you can "pull off a scent" and whether you really should be wearing it).

Versace Black Jeans is so arrid and dry. It radiates very well and others notice the sillage, but the sillage that is generated isn't thick and obnoxious. If properly worn, it doesn't clog up all the airspace in a room. It gets attention, but also it has a certain almost ironic charm about its nod to vintage stylings. Masculine to the hilt. Almost humorously so.

I hate that it's discontinued, but that also means you won't be smelling it everywhere. As long as the current stock sits properly stored, things should be fine. Thanks to the stout packaging and black glass of the bottle, this one should store quite well. Though I have two bottles of it-- my original main bottle, and my recently purchased backup, and they do smell a bit different from each other. My original bottle has more iris and ginger, while my backup seems to be more emphatic of the woody vetiver note.

Versace Black Jeans is a well executed, playfully rendered vamp on the classic 70's macho man's cologne. I'm glad you like it. I recommend it heartily.
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 8th August 2008 at 08:05 AM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

this would be Versace biggest frag in terms of quality & purity since the signature release ..
    Why the f@#k .. they named it Black Jeans is a mystery ?
    This is one superb fragrance !!

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    this would be Versace biggest frag in terms of quality & purity since the signature release ..
    Why the f@#k .. they named it Black Jeans is a mystery ?
    This is one superb fragrance !!
    If they'd waited a while and named it Versace Black, it probably would have done better.
    "Jeans" gives the impression of casual - but only Blue and Metal Jeans comfortably could fall into that category.
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    If they'd waited a while and named it Versace Black, it probably would have done better.
    "Jeans" gives the impression of casual - but only Blue and Metal Jeans comfortably could fall into that category.
    Renato
    yes or even Versace Noir .
    Its worthy of a faceted black heavy classic shaped bottle as well ......
    Whoever was responsible for its crappy packaging should be ashamed of himself ....

SALES

Post Thanks / Like

Damn I bought Black Jeans a little while ago, sprayed it 2 times and hid it in my room hoping I'd never find it again. Is it because of my age (22) that I can't stand this ? Is it worth giving another try ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1280adam View Post
    Damn I bought Black Jeans a little while ago, sprayed it 2 times and hid it in my room hoping I'd never find it again. Is it because of my age (22) that I can't stand this ? Is it worth giving another try ?
    Definately try it again Adam .
    Remember to spray lightly seeing you didn't like it first time around .
    Its strong ! spicy & pungent ,,
    I wouldn't go out romancing with it either , use the Relax for that
    You may like it 2nd or 3rd time around .
    I can smell no synthetics in it its a pure dark mysterious powerhouse !
    cheers

SALES

Post Thanks / Like

Don't feel bad, I sought this out for a while and when I finally found it learned it didn't work on my skin. I'm glad others enjoy it.... I know a couple local places that have it in stock for retail value if anyone is really stuck trying to find it.

Post Thanks / Like

I love it. Unfortunately my wife starts sneezing when I wear it, and the sneezing gets worse as time progresses. She asked me to refrain from wearing it around her.

Sharp spicy chypre scents like Black Jeans aren't much in style at the moment, which is probably why you haven't warmed to it.
    Renato

I bought one today on impulse, blindly. I hope I'll like it, and otherwise it's another sale on Basenotes.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Well, Shalashaska, I'm very honored by this thread and I'm thrilled that you are a fan of Versace Black Jeans. Actually, the scent that got me bitten was Barbaso... I mean, Rive Gauche Pour Homme. But I've said many times that Rive Gauche Pour Homme and Versace Black Jeans (while not smelling all that similar), seem to have a similar effect on people and share a certain quality--which Joel_Cairo brilliantly summed up as "The Levi's 501 Jeans of the fragrance world. And many times have I received emphatic compliments on Versace Black Jeans.

The types of scents that work the best for me overall are very dry, somewhat spicy, peppery warm scents. They work the best with my chemistry and personality overall I suppose (Some people are not going to like it, but I maintain that compliments are the single best indicator of whether you can "pull off a scent" and whether you really should be wearing it).
    Well great, just another reason for Rive Gauche to be my next purchase!

I truly wish there were more dry scents available. A fragrance doesn't have to be sweet to smell good to others, this is prime example. I love orientals too, but damn it's like the market is flooded with them right now. I'm trying to remember the last designer fragrance I ran into that was this dry and yet pleasant too. Gucci Pour Homme maybe?

Cuba Red is a dry, spicy cedar, perhaps with a bit of citrus preventing it from being dusty.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post

Versace Black Jeans is so arrid and dry. It radiates very well and others notice the sillage, but the sillage that is generated isn't thick and obnoxious. If properly worn, it doesn't clog up all the airspace in a room. It gets attention, but also it has a certain almost ironic charm about its nod to vintage stylings. Masculine to the hilt. Almost humorously so.

I hate that it's discontinued, but that also means you won't be smelling it everywhere. As long as the current stock sits properly stored, things should be fine. Thanks to the stout packaging and black glass of the bottle, this one should store quite well. Though I have two bottles of it-- my original main bottle, and my recently purchased backup, and they do smell a bit different from each other. My original bottle has more iris and ginger, while my backup seems to be more emphatic of the woody vetiver note.

Versace Black Jeans is a well executed, playfully rendered vamp on the classic 70's macho man's cologne. I'm glad you like it. I recommend it heartily.

Indie,

Very nice post. Really well written and a great description of the "feel" of the scent and its special allure.

Post Thanks / Like

I picked this up a few weeks ago. Love it to death. This is what Bulgari Black should be but isn't.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    I picked this up a few weeks ago. Love it to death. This is what Bulgari Black should be but isn't.
    I have to disagree with you, I think Bulgari Black was shooting for an entirely different target than Black Jeans. Bulgari on me is a very nice calm mix of rubber and vanilla, sort of a kinky fetish oriental that is on the manly side of unisex but a certain type of girl could get away with. Black Jeans is manly through and through.