Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: What was your first fragrance?

The first fragrance I remember buying for myself was something called Intrigue in '78 when I was thirteen. It was in a frosted glass bottle with a gold coloured top and was packaged in a burgundy box. I don't know if this is the same as Carven Intrigue because '78 was apparently too soon for the Carven frag. I remember the scent was aromatic or chypre-like, not a girly scent at all but I was drawn to it. Later I would wear Chique, Poison, Montana Parfum de Peau and was gifted Anais Anais which was at that time the girliest perfume I had ever owned. As I type this I'm wearing Neil Morris Gotham and it may be my imagination but there seems to be a link between this, the Montana frag and that first scent Intrigue. Perhaps that's why I love Gotham so much. What the connection is doesn't matter, it is more of a feeling.

The first fragrance that my parents bought for me was Eau de Patou, and I always have a bottle.
    Before that my aunt gave me a small bottle of Le Galion Snob. I have not smelled it again.
    My grandmother had a Lalique bottle of L'Air du Temps (I remember it ever since I can remember my grandmother). When I was 17 I decided it was a waste to have it just sitting there and I opened it, delcious.
    Other gifts when I was still a teenager included Chanel #5, Cristalle, Diorissimo and the original Chloe

Blog Entries

During my tweens and early teens, I also wore Love's, Jean Nate, and assorted Avon fragrances given to me by my aunt. And I was always into my mother's perfume samples, which included a number of Estee Lauder scents, Chanel no 5, Opium, and Oscar. My mom bought me a full bottle of Giorgio when it came out (we drove across the state to the nearest Bloomingdale's in Fort Lauderdale), and this was probably my first FB of high-end fragrance. But the first fragrance that I bought for myself after saving up my pennies from my part-time job after high school in 1984 was Jardins de Bagatelle by Guerlain. I had been using up the tester at the mall for far too long, and although it cost me an entire paycheck for the big bottle, I had to have it. Shortly thereafter I bought Paris, then later Paloma Picasso. I still have PP and P, and I appreciate Paris more now than I did then (it's perhaps a bit mature for an 18 year old). Yes, they're still good. I've always been diligent about storing my bottles in their boxes. Shoes too. Anyway, it took me a number of years to finish up the JdB and for some reason I didn't repurchase. I guess I had settled to going between Amarige and CK One by then.

I've been thinking about Jardins de Bagatelle quite often lately (STARES at Nukapai!). If I can find someone selling it out here, I intend to test it again. I *almost* remember the scent and would like to revisit.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by dewey eyed View Post
    The curator who taught it wore this wonderful scent, and the girls in the class hovered around the platform to catch some sillage. Then we went sniffing to figure out what it was. z-14!
    Ooh! I like Z-14 too! I swiped my mom's mini bottle of it, when I visited her this summer.

My first fragrance was given to me by my mother. It was the Avon Churchmouse. It smelled nice enough for an elementary school kid. I don't know what happened to the bottle.

My second fragrance was Jovan's Whisper of Musk. And I found the old bottle of it, also, when I was last visiting my mom. I brought that bottle back home with me too! It definitely doesn't smell the same. But 20+ years will do that to a perfume, I suppose.
    Last edited by Aiona; 11th August 2008 at 03:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post

I've been thinking about Jardins de Bagatelle quite often lately (STARES at Nukapai!).
    Did I mention one of my great-great grandmothers was a Finnish shaman?

What a great question! Evening in Paris is the first one I really recall. I had 2 teenage sisters the day I was born, so I had my mom and sisters to study. I remember the blue bottle and we gave a bottle to someone as a Christmas gift in about 1961 or thereabouts. When I actually chose my own, I think it was Heaven Scent. Chantilly and Muguet du Bois were also on my early fragrances agenda.

I've stuck with Je Reviens, L'Interdit, L'air du Temps, and Marc Jacobs during the last 10 or 15 years. But after joining Basenotes and seeing the newer scents out there, I ordered some samples on e-bay so I'd have an idea of what they were like. Angel, Amazing Grace, Baby Grace, Pink Sugar, Hypnose, Indecense, Forbidden Fruit, Addict, and Happy are the ones I've been playing with all weekend. Some are awesome, new, and different! One of them reminded me of burning tires at first. It mellowed over time, but apparently it didn't harmonize with my body chemistry!

It's nice to be here among others who find bliss in fragrance, like me.

Adryen

Leme see.. F# by Faberge, Straw Hat, and Kiku, same. Prophecy by Prince Matchabelli, L'Origan by Lanvin. And, I have a horrible story about Desert Flower by Shulton.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbreen View Post
    And, I have a horrible story about Desert Flower by Shulton.
    Don't tease us .... tell!

Kiku ....

This is pushing the envelope, but the first fragrance I remember smelling is Jungle Gardenia by Tuvache back in the mid 60s. It was always being given away on a game show as a consolation prize (The Price is Right, I think. Definitely Bob Barker!), and being a curious little boy, I must have snuck into the ladies' perfume section at the local dept. store to smell it. Over twenty years later, I smelled it on a coworker, who was utterly shocked when I told her what it was (it was a vintage, discontinued relic at that point). Even I was a bit surprised that a scent memory could last that long.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

My very first fragrance was Tinkerbell perfume from Avon. My first grown up scent was at 11, Liz Claiborne in the triangle bottle.

Then I wore TBS White Musk, along with a bunch of different oils from head shops in Woodstock, NY... I felt so cool wearing my amber oil from Woodstock.

Now I'm all about trying everything.

I'm shocked, SHOCKED, that so many of you gals were patrons of head shops back in the day!
    I'm also wondering if some of the younger folks even know what a head shop is...
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

I've always worn perfume. I remember getting my very first bottle. I was 5 or 6, and it was a pretty little bottle of purple liquid with hand-painted violets on the bottle: Devon Violets.

I bought L'Arte di Gucci for myself when I was 13. It is a femme fatal kind of rose-chypre which actually made me feel dizzy every time I wore it over 10 minutes but I liked it anyway. The fragrance had been discontinued long time ago but I still have a small bottle on my shelf for memories.
    Last edited by aquilaclaudia; 14th August 2008 at 07:26 PM.
    Current favorites:

Jicky, Mitsouko, Shiseido Susuro,Or et Noir

My first was O de Lancome. Definitely not trendy in the late '80s when I was in my early teens, but I kind of hated what everyone else was wearing - I remember having particular contempt for Poison and Electric Youth - and I disliked my Mom's Chloe, too. I liked that O was fresh and citrussy. I still wear it, and it's still the only fragrance that I've finished more than one bottle of. I don't wear a lot of citrus anymore, but I always have some O de Lancome.

Off-Scenter

A wonderful thread. It makes me smile as I contemplate a first fragrance gift for my own daughter (see here).

My first was Devin at age 15 or 16, followed by Tuscany in college, and then Jaipur Homme. I was apparently destined for Basenotes from youth...

As a child born in the 60's in Spain, I grew up with the fragrances of Antonio Puig: from Lavanda (which I have always associated with elderly people ever since), to Estivalia and Azur, which can still be bought here (but I don't). Some others, like Verte or Doré, have disappeared never to return and I'd just love to smell them again. The first sign that there was life out there was on our bathroom's shelf in a bottle of Miss Dior that my mum wore on special occasions. That was classy! It helped me jump from Spanish classics to world classics, like Cristalle and Givenchy III.

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    I'm shocked, SHOCKED, that so many of you gals were patrons of head shops back in the day!
    I'm also wondering if some of the younger folks even know what a head shop is...
    Oh I didn't know then, but I do now...

When I was eleven or twelve everyone at school wanted and was wearing Anais Anais. My mother - a most contrary individual - bought me Cacharel's LouLou instead. This was my first fragrance love, a white creamy floral in that oh-so-80s electric blue plastic bottle. I wore it happily for couple of years until I was fourteen when suddenly everyone was now wearing Charlie. Again, my mother ignored the lowings of the herd and got me a bottle of YSL Rive Gauche.It also had a bright blue bottle come to think of it. I loved this too, although sadly it doesn't smell as good these days since they reformulated it. The first perfume I purchased for myself was Dior's Poison: it suited my late-teens Goth phase and my mother hated it (which at the time was a pro, of course)... I can't stand it now.

My very first one was 4711, but the first one I really fell in love with was Avon's Sweet Honesty.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Oh the memories this thread brings back

I can go as far back as my Great Aunt's bottle of Evening in Paris. I remember the bottle being so fascinating but boy opening and sniffing was quite a thrill! I remember all but begging for this bottle, and bless her, she gave it to me That was the beginning, at the ripe age of 4 maybe?!

This was followed by a fascination of my Grandmother's collection: Youth Dew bath oil, Faberge Tigress, Chanel No. 5 and Arpege. Almost forgot Jean Nate. I liked Tigress because of the "furry" bottle cap LOL but as far as scent goes, it was Youth Dew all the way.

My Mom always had Wind Song and White Shoulders around, I liked them on her but my nose had been spoiled by Youth Dew at that point

I remember Skinny Dip, Heaven Scent, Desert Flower and something by Avon (Wildflowers maybe?)....all being gifts to me. Seems like everyone realized I was all about scent by the time I was 10 These were fun and all....and I loved experimenting. I think it was the Wildflowers from Avon though that broke me out in hives , and from then on I swore I was "allergic" to cheap perfumes LOL

Next came the drugstore finds (still cheap but bought with hard earned babysitting money): Jontue, Charlie, Cachet, Ciara, Clarissa (? was a Charles Revson scent), Jovan Musk, Tabu....and of course a Patchouli.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane
    Last edited by Magnolia; 20th August 2008 at 01:26 AM.

I think the first fragrance I bought and wore myself was Oleg Cassini by Jovan (loved it!) Somewhere in my youth I also picked up a mini of Ombre Rose. I could swear it was before 1981, although that's the year the BN directory lists for the launch.

Smile Re: What was your first fragrance?

My first first fragrances were those my mother displayed on her dresser..on a little mirrored tray of course! Joy, Bellodgia, Norell, L'Air du Temps, Je Reviens, and later, Rive Gauche. I would put them on at will, often wearing several at a time! Unintentional Layering!
    I think the first fragrance I was ever given as a gift was Woodhue, and I just love the memory of it. What a great scent that was. I've sniffed the reformulation and it's terrible! One of these days I'll splurge for a vitage, well preserved bottle!
    My first fragrance purchase was probably either 'Babe' or Coty's 'Sweet Earth' solids. Regarding the latter, I had both the Sweet Woods and the Exotic Florals versions. My first experience with deliberate layering!
    Later I remember having bottles of Ysatis, Anais Anais, and Paris on my dresser (High School), and a little later Tuscany per Donna (which I still love).
    Ahhhh the memories! So many others....Eau Fresh, Love's Baby Soft, Jovan Musk....Loved them all.
    Last edited by lizzie_j; 20th August 2008 at 03:47 PM. Reason: errors

Red face Re: What was your first fragrance?

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    I think my first fragrance was Avon's Sweet Honesty. I soon started wearing Love's Baby Soft, Heaven Sent, and Blue Grass. In High School, I added Replique, Jovan Musk, and Bonnie Bell Musk and a head-shop oil from a place called Body Bazaar. It was strawberry and patchouli and called Lady Earth. (waves at Orion and soirdelune :wave: )
    I wore Lady Earth from the Body Bazaar (Bloomington, IN) all thru high school it was made from strawberry, sandalwood, and patchouli. Wish I could still get some of that! I had men stopping me everywhere asking what I was wearing (freaked out my Dad).

I can't remember if I had many perfumes prior to this (apologies) I think I just used to take my mothers but I do recall purchasing Lacoste Touch of Pink or an Escada Perfume

Hahahha My first fragrance was cologne of my Grandmother. But it smells good. and That was remembering though.

When I graduated from high school, my very smart Aunt Terry bought me the 2004 Prada Prada. I thought nothing of it, given a conviction that a pair of men's cargo pants and converse were all a girl really needed to get ready in the morning. 10 years later, it is my default perfume to wear to work.

Debbie Gibsons Electric Youth, and Tribe, were the first perfumes that were my very own, along with assorted Victoria's Secret body sprays, although my Mother had a huge collection that I dabbled in. Clinique Happy was my first "adult" perfume, that I actually bought with my own money from my first job right after college, and bought from a perfume counter as opposed to receiving as a Christmas stocking stuffer.

Cachet! Wow, I had forgotten about that one. I remember really hoping for that for Xmas.
    I tried Love' s Baby Soft with my baby sitting pay. Even then it was a bit sweet for me. I liked their lemon scent. My first real job at JC Penney had a shopping discount. I bought myself Halston and YSL Rive Gauche. I still adore RG and look for vintage constantly. Aside from the nostalgic associations, it's a knockout scent. I wore Mystere de Rochas in college and tried it recently. Still love it!
    “Let the beauty we love, be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.” -Rumi

Polo Green. Wish I still had that bottle.

Salvador Dali PH, received as I present when I was 14 years old.

When I was about 9 or 10 years old I was given a set of Little Lady Toilet Water still available today on Etsy and e-Bay. I think it came with some clear nail polish and remover. It was in a set of some kind. (I wonder if this one should be in the Fragrance Directory??? LOL).

In high school I moved up to Lanvin My Sin, Revlon Intimate, and Dana Tabu. These must have been gifts or bought with Christmas/Birthday money as I didn't work and didn't have an allowance.

In college I can't honestly remember wearing anything. Maybe I did -- or not.

After I got my first real job I bought myself a bottle of Christian Dior Diorissimo in the hounds tooth black and white bottle. I also went on a business trip to Phoenix and one day wondered into Scottsdale where I found Erne, a man who custom blended perfume. He created a perfume for me and I liked it. I called it Besmi. Twenty years later I went back. He was still in business and had my card on file. He made more. It still is a very nice perfume. I wish I knew what was in it.

Here's one for you. One day I wore Diorissimo to work.. This older man I worked with said he didn't like it. It was too old for me. That I should wear something for a young girl. It was 1969 and I was in my early twenties. I guess he expected me to still wear Little Lady. Times have certainly changed for women and for the better.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

I had Coty's Muguet de Bois as a teen and L'Air du Temps in my early twenties.

What a great discussion!! It has taken me back to places I had forgotten. Loves Baby Soft was one of my first. I also remember getting a gift from my brother for Christmas one year which was a blue tinted clear plastic music box that played "Fly me to the Moon" and had a small bottle of Heaven Scent. I also remember having Blue Jeans and various Avon's. It seems my first transition from teen scent to more mainstream was getting a bottle of No. 5. Good times.

My first fragrance was a bottle of David Beckham Instinct when I was like 11 which I used to bathe in. Until my senior year of high school I wore adidas moves, lucky no.6 by Liz Claiborne, and various cheap body sprays/mists. My first whiff of Fine Fragrance was Mayotte by guerlain when I made friends with another BNer (who also told me about BN) on a train going home from visiting my mom. She turned me on to things like Shalimar, BaV, and a favorite of mine No Regrets. That fall I used a promotional code on Facebook to receive a sample of Body by Burberry, and so it all began
    "I guess it's like most dreams, people work hard for them, they take time, When you arrive you aren't sure if it's what you expected. Hopefully it's better, but I guess that is why people dream and choose to chase them" ~anonymous.

"You’re buying stars to shut out the light. We come alone and alone we die And no matter how hard you try I’ll always belong in the sky" ~ Marina and The Diamonds

My first perfume must have been a bottle of Climat eau de toilette that my father had brought from Paris, probably for my mother,
    and I don't know how, but it became mine. It was just another toy for me, I was four or five, I don't remember wearing it.
    But I remember very well playing with my mothers' extraits, e.g.Arpège and Bal à Versailles, Intimate by Revlon later, and eventually spiling them. But I had decided then that she didn't appreciated them as much as I did!

Then somebody brought me a cheap cologne (may be something made for children).
    "Pisces" was its name and I absolutely loved it! I was thinking it was the most dreamy beautiful fragrance in the world!

My grandmother used to bring me Tosca and 4711 later, together with small dolls.
    I think I loved the colognes even better than the dolls!

My first "real" perfume was L'Air du Temps, my father gave it to me. It was so much better than the one they make today,
    so delicate and beautiful and classy, but I did not appreciate it then so much. It didn't seem to me suitable for a teenager...

My first fragrance of my very own was Helena Rubinstein Heaven Sent, a gift from my Aunt. I think that I would have been about ten or eleven when she gave me it for the first time. I loved it and she continued to give me a gift of that fragrance for some years. (She has something to answer for I tell you. This all her fault you know. She is in her eighties now )

I also remember having Sea Jade, a blueish green fragrance in a flacon in the shape of a sea horse. Now.... I was going to say that it was Avon but actually I think that it may have been Yardley? Then there were Avon perfumes. I think that one was called Fuzzy Peach and also Roses Roses? I haven't looked them up, I am going from memory.

I can also remember Fern's/Fougere's, Bay Rum, and Sandalwood from childhood. But Heaven Sent was my very own and it made me feel really special. I have a little bottle that I got on ebay. It is a bit spoiled actually, but it is still there.

I think the first scents I experimented with were my older sister's. I recall Love's Baby Soft and Norell. I also wore my mom's Coty Wild Musk Oil which was all mom wore since it was all dad could stand.

As a teen, I got into Poison. At 18,one of Dad's girlfriends took me to a place that selected a perfume that 'fit' me. It was Diva! Oh, and I went to the Body Shop and bought Vanilla Bean oil. I wore that almost exclusively for years and years. I only recently got truly interested in Fragrances.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

It was hugo boss hugo woman, I think I bought it around 2003.