Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which 2 Tauer scents would you recommend?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Incense Extrême 2008

6 10.17%
  • Incense Rosé 2008

19 32.20%
  • L'Air du Desert Marocain

54 91.53%
  • Lonestar Memories 2006

14 23.73%
  • Rêverie au Jardin 2007

6 10.17%
  • Vetiver Dance

5 8.47%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default 'THE TWO TAUERS" Poll: Andy Tauer Scents

Which 2 would you recommend ? (forgive the pun in title)
    Last edited by afraafra; 8th August 2008 at 06:22 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: 'THE TWO TAUERS" Poll: Andy Tauer Scents

Lonestar Memories
    Incense Rose
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

That's a tough call. He really hasn't had a mis-step yet.

I own both LDDM and Incense Rose, and both are great. LDDM is my #1 scent.
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk

LDDM.
    ... and either Incense Rose or Lonestar Memories

I only picked one, LDDM, as I am ignorant of the others.

Smile Re: 'THE TWO TAUERS" Poll: Andy Tauer Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I only picked one, LDDM, as I am ignorant of the others.
    Same here!

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Quote Originally Posted by deck89 View Post
    Same here!
    Make that +3, but I would like to try the two incense scents.

I own L'Air du désert marocain, I just ordered Incense Rosé and I am impatient to get Vetiver Dance that I was lucky enough to sample.

I voted for Lonestar Memories and L'air du desert marocain.
    I don't know the others, but two not on the poll list: Rose and
    the short-lived Orris are beautiful fragrances. I have Orris but
    I don't wear it a lot because I can't replace it.

Only voted for LDDM since I passionately hate the other two that I've smelled, Rêverie au Jardin and Maroc pour Elle.

Is "Vetiver Dance" even released yet?
    Last edited by Noalick; 8th August 2008 at 06:55 PM.
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

Morning Star

Incense Rosé 2008 and L'Air du Desert Marocain
    I haven't tried Vetiver Dance yet.

Sur la Plage

L'Air du Desert Marocain is the only one I have been able to properly test - and loved it enough to purchase it.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Noalick View Post
    Is "Vetiver Dance" even released yet?
    It's in Basenotes directory..

Twin Peaks (1990), right?

Living in Zurich makes it easy for me to stay up-to-date on Tauer's releases. But after the dust has settled and novelties have stopped arousing my curiosity, I've decided that only his very first:, Le Maroc pour Elle, is extraordinary enough to justify the price. I now pay double of what they cost in January of 2007. It wasn't easy for me, to get used to Le Maroc, but after a long time I decided I like this one best. It seems so authentic, too, and is the most untypical feminine I ever sniffed at since Bandit.

I can see why L'Air is probably Tauer's most popular perfume. It certainly tickles the nose, and I like it for the resins it contains. But it doesn't do much else for me. I mostly feel overdressed wearing it - a tad too heavy on sillage, too loud, too anxious to please. Perhaps less so for men up to 30, I would imagine. L'Air can even get a bit cloying when the air around isn't fresh and cool.

I never took to Lonestar, even though I should love it from the list of ingredients. It was the year of Brokeback Mountain in the movies. I suspected that the placement of this perfume intended a vicinity it didn't deserve. BM is a masterpiece. I was not sure I would feel the same way about LM. Anyhow - the unwanted association was reason enough not to own LM. Others I have sampled are also rich in natural ingredients and wear quite well, I imagine. Incense Extreme seems to be the only one that is a little short lived. However, given their price bracket of 180-200$ (per 100 ml) a wide range of top niche perfumes is available to me, plus a few of the Chanel, Hermes and Dior boutique exclusives. Given that choice I certainly know where my preferences are. !
    Last edited by narcus; 9th August 2008 at 09:52 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by afraafra View Post
    It's in Basenotes directory..

Twin Peaks (1990), right?
    Twin Peaks, of course. Say, where can I get a fragrance with douglas fir?

On topic: I havn't tried L'Air yet, but I am waiting for it in my mailbox. Will get back to this thread.
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Living in Zurich makes it easy for me to stay up-to-date on Tauer's releases. But after the dust has settled and novelties have stopped arousing my curiosity, I've decided that only his very first:, Le Maroc pour Elle, is extraordinary enough to justify the price. I now pay double of what they cost in January of 2007. It wasn't easy for me, to get used to Le Maroc, but after a long time I decided I like this one best. It seems so authentic, too, and is the most untypical feminine I ever sniffed at since Bandit.

I can see why L'Air is probably Tauer's most popular perfume. It certainly tickles the nose, and I like it for the resins it contains. But it doesn't do much else for me. I mostly feel overdressed wearing it - a tad too heavy on sillage, too loud, too anxious to please. Perhaps less so for men up to 30, I would imagine. L'Air can even get a bit cloying when the air around isn't fresh and cool.

I never took to Lonestar, even though I should love it from the list of ingredients. It was the year of Brokeback Mountain in the movies. I suspected that the placement of this perfume intended a vicinity it didn't deserve. BM is a masterpiece. I was not sure I would feel the same way about LM. Anyhow - the unwanted association was reason enough not to own LM. Others I have sampled are also rich in natural ingredients and wear quite well, I imagine. Incense Extreme seems to be the only one that is a little short lived. However, given their price bracket of 180-200$ (per 100 ml) a wide range of top niche perfumes is available to me, plus a few of the Chanel, Hermes and Dior boutique exclusives. Given that choice I certainly know where my preferences are. !

Useful info narcus, it seems decants are in order for a couple of the Tauer's not full bottles.

BTW, did ANYBODY get the pun in the title of the poll?

L'Air du Desert Marocain
    Lonestar Memories 2006
    Incense Rosé 2008

These three are clearly the most popular, any comments on their longevity, which is better?

Blog Entries

L'Air du Desert Marocain
    Lonestar Memories 2006
    Incense Rosé 2008

These three are clearly the most popular, any comments on their longevity, which is better?

Lonestar Memories lasts...and lasts...and lasts
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Living in Zurich makes it easy for me to stay up-to-date on Tauer's releases.

I never took to Lonestar, even though I should love it from the list of ingredients. It was the year of Brokeback Mountain in the movies. I suspected that the placement of this perfume intended a vicinity it didn't deserve. BM is a masterpiece. I was not sure I would feel the same way about LM. Anyhow - the unwanted association was reason enough not to own LM. !

I didn't get the connection with Brokeback mountain and Lonestar Mems. Did Tauer ever mention that his inspiration was BM?, as he did describe how he was inspired for LdDM..

I didn't get the connection with Brokeback mountain and Lonestar Mems. Did Tauer ever mention that his inspiration was BM?, as he did describe how he was inspired for LdDM..
    I can't say I would ever have made that connection either. I've come to associate "Lonestar" to the state of Texas, i.e. "The Lonestar State". (My parents and a brother live there.) Most of the film Brokeback Mountain takes place somewhere in the northern rockies rather than in Texas, does it not? This is just a wild guess, but could it have to do with the possible use of texas cedar? LDDM, LM, IE, & IR seem to have a similarity in their "Tauerade base" which might include this note. IR & LM, for example, smell very similar on the skin "the day after".

I voted for LDDM & IR but would recommend, of course, sampling before buying - and sampling the others as well. I liek the house!

I have no idea what Tauer himself wrote concerning Lonestar memories. I never followed his blog regularly, even though some things he wrote were informative indeed. I completely stopped visiting the blog, after he explained why doubling prices shouldn't be seen as a price increase, but as a rationalization of bottling and packaging instead.

BM, the movie, was released in 2005. LM was released during the second half of 2006. If you care to look at 'Lonestar sample flyer front' (on his commercial site, or via google/ pictures) you may understand what I mean. If the scent was to create images of a landscape, I see cedar, not necessarily tar heavy leather. And why was that cowboy glued to the bottle - memories ? Tauer perfumes are usually decorated in a more abstract manner. You can find a picture of it on this fine perfume blog

Pun in the title? I didn't get that and still don't.
    Last edited by narcus; 10th August 2008 at 10:29 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I've tried LDDM, Lonestar Memories and Incense Extreme. LDDM was the only decent one, somewhere between average and meh.

The rest didn't do anything for me.

Useful info narcus, it seems decants are in order for a couple of the Tauer's not full bottles.

BTW, did ANYBODY get the pun in the title of the poll?
    Of course! Lord of the Rings, or LOTR for us Tolkien fans.

Excellent pun, by the way.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 10th August 2008 at 11:16 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

While Tauer's Lonestar Memories may have been released in 2006, as a long time fan of his and religious reader of his blog, I can tell you that it takes Andy a long time from the creation of the scent to its release. I have been watching his new release, Vetiver Dance, and it was finished (to his satisfaction), about a month or two ago. I know because that was when he started sending out samples of it. However, it won't be available for purchase until (I believe) October. If I remember correctly, the inspiration for LM was the time when Andy lived in Texas. Maybe he was an exchange student or something like that. If you have ever lived in Texas, you would understand why there is a cowboy in the advertising. Texas cowboys can be very...inspiring in their cowboy hats, t-shirts, and their Wrangers!
    Last edited by paintrman; 10th August 2008 at 03:52 PM.

Lon gevity of IR is simply amazing. even much longer than LLDM. I can smell it very well 30 hours after i sprayed it.

LDDM and Incense Rosé for me. LDDM has been in my top 5 since I first smelled it.

I love LdDM. My holy grail scent, and Andy's masterpiece, IMO.
    And then Incense Rose, a twist on incense combining two of my favorite ingredients.
    Incense Extreme was nice, but a pretty middle of the road incense scent.
    Lonestar Memories was certainly a unique experience, but I still haven't decided whether I like it or not.

I haven't yet had the chance to smell Vetiver Dance, but I can't wait to get my hands on a sample. Heck, I might even spring for a blind buy...
    Last edited by heythatslife; 11th August 2008 at 12:30 PM.

I read mixed reviews on Rose Incense. I love LDDM and a smokey rose would be awesome. I get a hint of rose from Fumerie Turque, but I would love more rose and less incense. I also read that the longevity of RI is shorter than what one expects of a Tauer. Is that right?

Basenotes Institution

L'Air du Desert Marocain when I first tested it, blew me away. After repeated wearings, the creaminess mixed with the birch tar made me a little uncomfortable - and so when I finished my decant of it I didn't buy a full bottle. I often compared it to Ambre Sultan when I first smelled it, but of course later on I realized how very different LADDM is from AS. I prefer AS's salty/aromatic take on Morrocan spices - rather than Andy's. I still recommend LADDM to newcomers because I think it's a scent that everyone should sample atleast once. But for my wardrobe AS fits me better.

The other Tauer scent that I love is his discontinued Orris. Perhaps the finest iris scent I've ever smelled. When I sampled Incense Rose recently, I felt like there was a slight resemblance to Orris and therefore it managed to be more appealing to me than Andy's latest Incense Extreme or Reverie au Jardin (which both left me cold). However, I am still not totally sold on Incense Rose, so I'm going to sample it a few more times. Of course when I read the description for IR, I thought for sure that I'd love it. Incense and rose. A match made in heaven, right? But, this scent is not easy to love for me, it's extremely complex and it's not one of those scents that I can wear once and 'get' - this one is going to take some time.

I'm looking forward to smelling Vetiver Dance.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 11th August 2008 at 03:51 PM.

I am a little surprised that Incense Extreme doesn't get a little more love.

It is minimal and clean to me with good sillage and longevity. I find it similar to Zagorsk - CDG, but it doesn't feel synthetic and scratchy like Zagorsk. There is a nod to Orris in Incense Extreme although not prominent.

My problem with some of Andy's frags comes in the drydown. I get an unpleasant arse note in Lonestar memories, Incense Rose, and Vetiver Dance.

LDDM and Incense Extreme are the two I voted for.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 11th August 2008 at 04:03 PM.