Code of Conduct

Default Perfume on head hair...... healthy?

I read in some topics that people spray perfume on their head hair.

I wonder if this is good for your hair, with all the chemicals and alcohol in it.

Now, I realise that, if it would not be good for your head hair, it would also be bad for your skin.

But anyway, is there a hair expert in the house?

Default Re: Perfume on head hair...... healthy?

I'm not a dermatologist (nor do I play one on TeeVee), but hair and nails and teeth are all made of the same materials, which, by the time they grow out enough for us to see them, are already dead tissue. Your head of hair, as healthy and shiny as it may or may not be, is a big clump of dead cells. Shampoo has basically the same soap concentration as dishwashing liquid.

Bearing that in mind, I would think that anything that is gentle enough to be sprayed on your skin is gentle enough to be sprayed on your hair.

Dependent

Last edited by MFJ; 19th November 2009 at 05:41 PM.
    Currently wearing: Chergui by Serge Lutens

Blog Entries

A couple of spritzes on your hair will be fine.

Now, if you rinse it in your perfume/cologne on a daily basis, yes, it will probably cause some damage to the dead cells that make up hair.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Alcohol dries hair out.

When I remember, I usually do one spray to the top of my head. For whatever reason, hair seems to hold the scent really well...

Yes, samplemike is correct. The most important effect is that perfume can dry out the hair in the spot where you applied the perfume. But usually the spot is small so it will not even be noticeable.

I usually spray on the hair at the back of my neck, and never had any problems.

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 8th August 2008 at 11:02 PM.

Dependent

Last edited by MFJ; 19th November 2009 at 05:42 PM.
    Currently wearing: Chergui by Serge Lutens

It can't be any worse for your hair than the stuff many people regularly put in their hair like hairspray, dyes etc.
    Last edited by surreality; 8th August 2008 at 11:41 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

I always spray it in my hair because I love the sillage it gives and sometimes when my skin is a little irritated I will only spray on clothes and my hair.

Hair = dead matter

Spray on!

And it won't dry your hair out. Showering is more drying than the most excess use of alcohol-based fragrances will ever be.
    Last edited by Concord; 8th August 2008 at 11:48 PM.

Will likely dry you up a but; but nothing to worry about so long as you do not overdo it all the time. I

Quote Originally Posted by Concord View Post
    Hair = dead matter

Spray on!

And it won't dry your hair out.
    Even though hair is dead, it can still be damaged.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    Even though hair is dead, it can still be damaged.
    But your daily shampooing will probably casue more damage than the occasional spritz of perfume.

Smile Re: Perfume on head hair...... healthy?

I used to put a spritz on my hands and rub it on my neck and through my hair then I combed my hair. I use a product from Kiehls that you rub on your hair to make it lie down and not frizz. I love the stuff. my hair does not feel oily in the least and I may have to spritz my SOD on my hands then mix with the Kiehls. Sounds like an experiment to me. I am up for it.

Rick
    " I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Please check out my sales thread. I'm downsizing my wardrobe http://www.basenotes.net/threads/446...or-Sale-Thread
    Currently wearing: Davidoff by Davidoff

True Confessions time: I woke up late for my staff meeting one Monday morning and went headlong to work in a blind panic. It was a really hot day and as I was pulling into the parking lot, I realized that I didn't smell very good, particularly my hair, which had kind of a sweaty, slept-on smell.

I fished my travel bottle of Mugler Cologne out of my book bag (it has its own pocket!) and thoroughly doused myself, including a squirt aimed at my hair.

I smelled incredibly good. Like I'd just stepped out of the shower. The two ladies who sat on either side of me in the meeting kept moving closer and closer...and closer. When the meeting broke up, one of them grabbed my arm and leaned in to sniff me really deeply, "Oh, my god! You smell so good!" she said, "What is it?"

And I thought, "If you knew what was really going on here, you would soooooo not be putting your nose that close to me."

I didn't disabuse her of the notion that I was anything other than squeaky clean. It was kind of too late.

I never noticed any kind of difference in dryness or anything with my hair. I think to apply enough that the alcohol would damage your hair, you'd have to use it in place of conditioner.

And hair is porous and fairly absorbent, I think, so it might make for really good sillage.

Quote Originally Posted by Concord View Post
    But your daily shampooing will probably casue more damage than the occasional spritz of perfume.
    Quite possibly. I wasn't trying to suggest that it would be damaging to spray fragrances in one's hair just making a comment that even though hair is "dead" that it can in fact be damaged.
    Last edited by surreality; 9th August 2008 at 12:22 AM.

"Brylcreem - a little dab'll do ya". This is the best kept secret in men's grooming. It conditions your hair, adds body, and a deep shine without stiffness. Every guy should try this once in his life to see if it works for him.