Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1

    Default Dior Homme Cologne

    I had a search around the forum but couldn't find much info on this.
    How does it compare to the original in terms of longevity, sillage and overall fragrance?

    I recently bought the original Dior Homme and love it, however its a bit too nice / formal / expensive to wear to uni or work every day. From what I've read, the Cologne version is a tad lighter and more 'fresh', which sounds like a better every-day type affair.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

    Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

  2. #2

    Default Re: Dior Homme Cologne

    Hi, I can't answer your question since I've never tried it, but last night I smelled Dior Homme from someone walking out of the 4-star hotel. At first I wowed at it, not sure what it was, but then, I screamed Dior Homme. I guess it perfectly suits that man's skin. It smelled really really nice.
    Current Top 5

    1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

  3. #3

    Default Re: Dior Homme Cologne

    Someone must have an opinion on this?
    Maybe I should've put "Creed" or "Oud" in the title
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

    Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

  4. #4

    Default Re: Dior Homme Cologne

    Here are a few discussions on this cologne:

    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...+homme+cologne

    and

    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...+homme+cologne

    and

    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...+homme+cologne

    Often, if when entering your search criteria, you look at results around the time of the fragrance release date, you're likely to get more info.


  5. #5

    Default Re: Dior Homme Cologne

    lol my opinion?

    Any variation to the original Dior Homme is sacrilege. It's like whitewashing the Sistine Chapel because it's too colourful.
    A

    * * * * * * * *
    Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

    * * * * * * * *

    Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

  6. #6

    Default Re: Dior Homme Cologne

    I really can't stand this stuff. Smells like lipstick and is way too much like a female pefume for me.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    brooklyn NYC
    Posts
    1,979
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Dior Homme Cologne

    Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    I really can't stand this stuff. Smells like lipstick and is way too much like a female pefume for me.
    i don't find it feminine AT ALL...it's a very confident, formal, and posh masculine one IMO

  8. #8

    Default Re: Dior Homme Cologne

    Never smell this in a lifetime. Well, lipstick and purse smells if that explains Dior Homme; I'd better steer clear of this

  9. #9

    Default Re: Dior Homme Cologne

    While a lot of people dismiss the Cologne, I have it and prefer it over the EdT. It's a bit lighter and doesn't quite have as much depth as the original in some ways, but I think it's smoother and more masculine. Some parts of the EdT annoy me a little, and I find the Cologne better top to bottom. I'm in the minority on this.

    Also, the Cologne IS really great in summer or after a workout.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Dior Homme Cologne

    If I were rich, I'd have both, because I like Cologne in a different way than the original. They're both good. Cologne *is* the lighter, fresher, less cloying version. But they are very similar.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

    Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

    Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

  11. #11

    Default Re: Dior Homme Cologne

    Quote Originally Posted by pinkun View Post
    Never smell this in a lifetime. Well, lipstick and purse smells if that explains Dior Homme; I'd better steer clear of this
    Then stay away. I have tried it twice on my skin where I wore it all day to see if anything changes. It took all my strength as a basenoter not to scrub it off. It really is like lipstick and the inside of a purse. As it dried down on me it smelled like a whorehouse...JMO. It was like perfume hitting me in the face. I'm assuming that it just does this with some of our skins because there are plenty of people who think the exact as I do if you read the reviews and many others who don't think it at all..

    I want to add that I never give these critiques in order to slam other people's taste. Scents is very personal and everyone reacts differently to different things. This was just my personl experience on this one.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 10th August 2008 at 04:05 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

  12. #12

    Default Re: Dior Homme Cologne

    Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    ...As it dried down on me it smelled like a whorehouse...JMO...
    Ahh....secretly, I always wanted a cologne that truly captures the "whorehouse" feeling. Something sinful...and it's made for men? Looks like I gotta check this one out....might be my holy grail....the one cologne I've been looking for all my life! Instant wood, might use it as viagra when I get older. I was gonna start a new thread on this but I guess I don't have to anymore....LOL....Hahaha!!!
    Last edited by Mindbrain; 10th August 2008 at 05:19 PM.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    brooklyn NYC
    Posts
    1,979
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Dior Homme Cologne

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindbrain View Post
    Ahh....secretly, I always wanted a cologne that truly captures the "whorehouse" feeling. Something sinful...and it's made for men? Looks like I gotta check this one out....might be my holy grail....the one cologne I've been looking for all my life! Instant wood, might use it as viagra when I get older. I was gonna start a new thread on this but I guess I don't have to anymore....LOL....Hahaha!!!
    if this smells like a whorehouse, it smells like a REALLY expensive whorehouse....the kind where a good tumble in the bushes costs $2000/hour

  14. #14

    Default Re: Dior Homme Cologne

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindbrain View Post
    Ahh....secretly, I always wanted a cologne that truly captures the "whorehouse" feeling. Something sinful...and it's made for men? Looks like I gotta check this one out....might be my holy grail....the one cologne I've been looking for all my life! Instant wood, might use it as viagra when I get older. I was gonna start a new thread on this but I guess I don't have to anymore....LOL....Hahaha!!!
    ..LOL
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

  15. #15

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Texas (formerly Boston)
    Posts
    3,089

    Default Re: Dior Homme Cologne

    I have not yet tried the cologne, but I will invariably buy it because Dior Homme is my A#1 favorite fragrance and I'm slowly collecting every Dior Homme product - even the ones I don't need.

    I personally find the EdT to not be strong enough, sillage-wise (longevity is good) and thus prefer the Intense (EdP) for 'showing off' the scent. The EdP throws sillage and also lasts 15+ hours on my skin.

    Fragrance wise, the EdT focuses on the iris/vanilla/cocoa, with the masculine basenotes present for the purpose of balance. The leather/patchouli/vetiver play a more prominent role in the EdP from the beginning.

    Getting back to the EdC, I like the idea of having a big bottle as perhaps a body spray, or to perhaps layer. If you do get it, please report back, and if you don't like it I'll gladly take it off your hands!

    It's too bad ToughCool doesn't like it - perhaps he'll put it down and try it again a few weeks later - because for me personally Dior Homme represents the ONE scent I'd choose if I could only choose one.
    Last edited by bbBD; 10th August 2008 at 05:47 PM. Reason: typo

  16. #16

    Default Re: Dior Homme Cologne

    Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    I have not yet tried the cologne, but I will invariably buy it because Dior Homme is my A#1 favorite fragrance and I'm slowly collecting every Dior Homme product - even the ones I don't need.

    I personally find the EdT to not be strong enough, sillage-wise (longevity is good) and thus prefer the Intense (EdP) for 'showing off' the scent. The EdP throws sillage and also lasts 15+ hours on my skin.

    Fragrance wise, the EdT focuses on the iris/vanilla/cocoa, with the masculine basenotes present for the purpose of balance. The leather/patchouli/vetiver play a more prominent role in the EdP from the beginning.

    Getting back to the EdC, I like the idea of having a big bottle as perhaps a body spray, or to perhaps layer. If you do get it, please report back, and if you don't like it I'll gladly take it off your hands!

    It's too bad ToughCool doesn't like it - perhaps he'll put it down and try it again a few weeks later - because for me personally Dior Homme represents the ONE scent I'd choose if I could only choose one.
    I can't. Out of everything I have tried since coming to this site it is in my top 3 of "what the heck." It is definitely the most "perfumey" of anything I've tried over the past few months and literally, the second time, smelled like something the Queen Mother might be wearing. It was that strong a perfume/handbag/lipstick smell on me. I really don't get it. But as I always say on here, everyone gets a different skin reaction and everyone loves different stuff. It just is bad with me.

    EDIT: STRIKE ALL OF THIS BECAUSE I'M STILL RELATIVE NEW AND A BAFOON. Can someone tell me the difference between the Dior Homme that is as I described above and Dior Homme Cologne?????
    Last edited by ToughCool; 10th August 2008 at 06:02 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    brooklyn NYC
    Posts
    1,979
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Dior Homme Cologne

    Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    I have not yet tried the cologne, but I will invariably buy it because Dior Homme is my A#1 favorite fragrance and I'm slowly collecting every Dior Homme product - even the ones I don't need.
    avoid the deodorant...i bought that once, out of desire for more Dior Homme stuff....and found it to be useless! didn't really work much as a deodorant

  18. #18

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Texas (formerly Boston)
    Posts
    3,089

    Default Re: Dior Homme Cologne

    Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post

    EDIT: STRIKE ALL OF THIS BECAUSE I'M STILL RELATIVE NEW AND A BAFOON. Can someone tell me the difference between the Dior Homme that is as I described above and Dior Homme Cologne?????
    Dior Homme comes in three concentrations: Cologne (125ml only), EdT (the 'original' in 50 or 100ml), and EdP (50ml only). The cologne about which the thread was started is the light concentration.

    Hey, if you don't like it you don't like it - everyone's got different taste. I just dig it so much I feel like spreading the gospel

    Everso, thanks for the tip...I've actually been on the hunt for the spray deo, which seems to be unavailable in the US - or at least everywhere I've seen in listed does not have it in stock.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Dior Homme Cologne

    Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    if this smells like a whorehouse, it smells like a REALLY expensive whorehouse....the kind where a good tumble in the bushes costs $2000/hour
    This is exactly what I'm looking for!

  20. #20

    Default Re: Dior Homme Cologne

    Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Dior Homme comes in three concentrations: Cologne (125ml only), EdT (the 'original' in 50 or 100ml), and EdP (50ml only). The cologne about which the thread was started is the light concentration.

    Hey, if you don't like it you don't like it - everyone's got different taste. I just dig it so much I feel like spreading the gospel

    Everso, thanks for the tip...I've actually been on the hunt for the spray deo, which seems to be unavailable in the US - or at least everywhere I've seen in listed does not have it in stock.
    Good for you. The texas folks need to stick with what they love. I'm obviously not an expert in this and am just trying to get around here.. If your wife and you love it and it works I'm all for it. that's why we are all here. I'll try finding the cologne and see what happens
    Last edited by ToughCool; 11th August 2008 at 12:42 AM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

  21. #21

    Default Re: Dior Homme Cologne

    I do prefer the cologne one as the incursion of citrus fadding the away the lipstick or makeup department store aroma from the original, although in the cologne version the sillage is terrible.
    1 hour and gone with the wind.
    Read my perfume reviews at: http://perfumenoparatodos.blogspot.com/

    Digital art portfolio: www.dreamlandpostcards.com

  22. #22

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Texas (formerly Boston)
    Posts
    3,089

    Default Re: Dior Homme Cologne

    Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    Good for you. The texas folks need to stick with what they love. I'm obviously not an expert in this and am just trying to get around here.. If your wife and you love it and it works I'm all for it. that's why we are all here. I'll try finding the cologne and see what happens
    If you're going to give a different version a try I'd recommend the EdP - it's darker and smokier. The 'lipstick' aroma you don't like is still there, but the other, more masculine notes are much more prominent.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Dior Homme Cologne

    Thanks for the responses guys.
    I think I might try to find somewhere that has a tester of this before I commit to buying it... The longevity of the original is OK but if the cologne is worse then I'm not too keen.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

    Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

  24. #24

    Default Re: Dior Homme Cologne

    Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    If you're going to give a different version a try I'd recommend the EdP - it's darker and smokier. The 'lipstick' aroma you don't like is still there, but the other, more masculine notes are much more prominent.
    Thanks, I'll definitely keep trying!!
    Last edited by ToughCool; 11th August 2008 at 02:17 AM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

  25. #25

    Default Re: Dior Homme Cologne

    Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    Then stay away. I have tried it twice on my skin where I wore it all day to see if anything changes. It took all my strength as a basenoter not to scrub it off. It really is like lipstick and the inside of a purse. As it dried down on me it smelled like a whorehouse...JMO. It was like perfume hitting me in the face. I'm assuming that it just does this with some of our skins because there are plenty of people who think the exact as I do if you read the reviews and many others who don't think it at all..

    I want to add that I never give these critiques in order to slam other people's taste. Scents is very personal and everyone reacts differently to different things. This was just my personl experience on this one.
    Well, that's quite a good explanation of how people have thought about perfume, and perfume is absolutely subjective. Great write up there in how Dior Homme smells; I just feel a little bit awkward about woman cosmetics in man perfume. However, this is just my speculation despite the fact that I've never tried this before. I might have liked it when I have a chance to spritze it on my skin, and I didn't mean to screw up other people's taste anyway.

Similar Threads

  1. Strong Workplace Cologne
    By Dawkins in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 15th November 2013, 10:06 PM
  2. HAUTE TRADITION FIGUIER COLOGNE by Faberlic
    By Russlan in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 20th January 2006, 04:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •