Code of Conduct

Default YSL Live Jazz Review

I've purchased three scents this week. Black jeans which I reviewed yesterday, Live Jazz for today, and Bvlgari Pour Homme Extreme for tomorrow.

Having worn the ultra male and dry Black Jeans to work yesterday I felt something a little more traditional and refreshing might be in order so I busted out the Live Jazz today.

I hate the opening. Pure and simple. In almost every review I've read the grapefruit and mint opening is praised as refreshing and crisp and all that. Two things. First, maybe they forgot to put the grapefruit in my bottle or maybe me skin devours it but I get the barest hint of a generic sweet lemon citrus mixed in with that mint monster. Second, the mint itself. My parents and grandparents always raised herbs in their gardens and the house I live in now has a small herb garden too. I know what fresh basil, mint, coriander, etc, is supposed to smell like, I've smelled it all my life. This isn't real mint. Real mint leaves have a green, crisp 'edge' to them that is lacking here. This is an ultra synthetic too sweet mint that makes this scent feel almost cheap to me at first.

Fortunately the mint fades fast on me and the scent forms a nice muddled mix of light cedar, vanilla and coriander, and stays that way for the better part of ten hours. Good sillage, great longevity from two sprays. I kept getting whiffs of myself throughout the day.

This is a good, inoffensive office work horse scent. I can't see anyone being adverse to the dry down, it works in the heat, lasts all day with no reapplication. However I can't really see myself wearing this outside of work. It's not 'sexy' enough for a club, too casual for a formal dinner, and not relaxed enough for a lounge around the house scent. However I have no problem with this, I don't expect every scent to be a jack of all trades and seeing as how like most adults I work five days a week, this will get plenty of usage in the role I think it is well suited for.

I must admit this has me very curious to try the original Jazz now and see how the two compare.

Default Re: YSL Live Jazz Review

IMO Live Jazz is perfect to spray on before a jog - it really needs a bit of sweat, otherwise it stays as a pretty flat citrus / light woods.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Live Jazz reminds me a lot of Abercrombie & Fitch's Fierce.

Live Jazz has a corriander/mint opening that I cannot stand, I bought it blind and promptly sold it off.

Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes

Smile Re: YSL Live Jazz Review

Live Jazz.. I thought I loved it at first.. Not sure how I feel about it now.. Not used it for months!!

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by shalashaska View Post
    I've purchased three scents this week. Black jeans which I reviewed yesterday, Live Jazz for today, and Bvlgari Pour Homme Extreme for tomorrow.

Having worn the ultra male and dry Black Jeans to work yesterday I felt something a little more traditional and refreshing might be in order so I busted out the Live Jazz today.

I hate the opening. Pure and simple. In almost every review I've read the grapefruit and mint opening is praised as refreshing and crisp and all that. Two things. First, maybe they forgot to put the grapefruit in my bottle or maybe me skin devours it but I get the barest hint of a generic sweet lemon citrus mixed in with that mint monster. Second, the mint itself. My parents and grandparents always raised herbs in their gardens and the house I live in now has a small herb garden too. I know what fresh basil, mint, coriander, etc, is supposed to smell like, I've smelled it all my life. This isn't real mint. Real mint leaves have a green, crisp 'edge' to them that is lacking here. This is an ultra synthetic too sweet mint that makes this scent feel almost cheap to me at first.

Fortunately the mint fades fast on me and the scent forms a nice muddled mix of light cedar, vanilla and coriander, and stays that way for the better part of ten hours. Good sillage, great longevity from two sprays. I kept getting whiffs of myself throughout the day.

This is a good, inoffensive office work horse scent. I can't see anyone being adverse to the dry down, it works in the heat, lasts all day with no reapplication. However I can't really see myself wearing this outside of work. It's not 'sexy' enough for a club, too casual for a formal dinner, and not relaxed enough for a lounge around the house scent. However I have no problem with this, I don't expect every scent to be a jack of all trades and seeing as how like most adults I work five days a week, this will get plenty of usage in the role I think it is well suited for.

I must admit this has me very curious to try the original Jazz now and see how the two compare.
    I love Extreme, and i think it will be the best of the 3 buys IMO. being paranoid over yearly price hikes, ive already stocked up 4 back ups..... I love the freshness of Extreme compared to the soir or original Ph, of which i have also backed up 2 bottles each, coz i simply love the Darjeeling tea base.... very nice and crisp, out of the 3 extreme is the easiest to enjoy coz of the slightly more juicy notes added

I recently bought Live Jazz (3.4) after testing it. I like all of its stages, very refreshing and uplifting.

Great review by the way.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk View Post
    I like all of its stages, very refreshing and uplifting.
    Same here. A hot weather staple for me.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Same here. A hot weather staple for me.
    Yes, it's really good in BKK heat. And I need to add this, the first time I tried it on a card it smelled slightly classy. But on a skin test, it lacked that feel. However, I haven't worn it yet.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Sur la Plage

I think YSL Live Jazz is a fantastic summer fragrance. My female co-workers always compliment me highly when I wear this. I just never thought that this fragrance would garner such attention.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

One of the best by YSL, and a top favorite in the summer. One of the few fragrances I would always purchase again. A beautiful alternative to citrussy colognes, and very relaxing. People who never smelled it shouldn't expect something sensational though. It's not that unique and outstanding, but I feel very comfortable wearing it, and it keeps reminding me of its presence with little whispers during the day. And as concerns the top notes: I like that momentary coolness from the mint and the whiffs of coriander. More isn't necessary for me. Generally top notes do not influence my decisions. They are so volatile that it's hardly worth writing about them. Heart and bottom - it's all the same here, and that's alright with me. I think there is a small dose of white pepper in it too,
    Last edited by narcus; 9th August 2008 at 03:46 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    One of the best by YSL, and a top favorite in the summer. One of the few fragrances I would always purchase again. A beautiful alternative to citrussy colognes, and very relaxing. People who never smelled it shouldn't expect something sensational though. It's not that unique and outstanding, but I feel very comfortable wearing it, and it keeps reminding me of its presence with little whispers during the day. And as concerns the top notes: I like that momentary coolness from the mint and the whiffs of coriander. More isn't necessary for me. Generally top notes do not influence my decisions. They are so volatile that it's hardly worth writing about them. Heart and bottom - it's all the same here, and that's alright with me. I think there is a small dose of white pepper in it too,

I always hesitate to disagree with anyone who is clearly far more of an expert in a field than I am, but I think top notes play an important role in my perception of a fragrance. It' s like seeing a beautiful woman who is horribly dressed or going for a three course meal and the last two courses are superb but the first is tasteless. The topnotes are what make my first impression, and while I understand how fleeting they are the first impression is important. If I find myself waiting impatiently for top notes to burn off to get to a better heart, that fragrance will find itself being gifted onto a friend.

I do agree with you on the comfort level of Live Jazz, it's almost like a Gendarme in that regard. I do like the fact that this scent doesn't seem to generate much olfactory fatigue and I can smell it throughout the day rather easily. I do wonder how it will work in cold weather though.

Does no one else like the ambergris drydown in this ?
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Does no one else like the ambergris drydown in this ?
    Thank you so much! That note in the drydown has been driving me crazy, 12 hours later I can still smell it. I've never really smelled it so clearly before now!

Basenotes Institution

After all of this time, I still have never smelled Live Jazz myself.

Lemon and mint top notes...on paper this is a scent I should love.

Lemon and mint and a strong coriander leaf note (not coriander seed, no, this one smells of salsa.)

The coriander note, to my nose, is out of place and as I believe Jenson (or Javagreen? perhaps someone else) once said, it smells of a salsa bar. Too true. Luckily that note fades out in 30-60 minutes and the rest is a nice and very soft and subtle lemon and cedar with hints of ambergris drydown. I'd wear it far more often if I could snip the coriander out of there (basil or rosemary would have been nice, or even a touch of artemisia or something else green, but coriander leaves? Ugh!)

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Lemon and mint and a strong coriander leaf note (not coriander seed, no, this one smells of salsa.)

The coriander note, to my nose, is out of place and as I believe Jenson (or Javagreen? perhaps someone else) once said, it smells of a salsa bar. Too true. Luckily that note fades out in 30-60 minutes and the rest is a nice and very soft and subtle lemon and cedar with hints of ambergris drydown. I'd wear it far more often if I could snip the coriander out of there (basil or rosemary would have been nice, or even a touch of artemisia or something else green, but coriander leaves? Ugh!)
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Well put - I too agree with your suggested changes as that would make it more nore pleasing. But the question is: Would the resulting fragrance be as polarising or stand out much ?
    -

Well, you make a good point. I still think it would stand out due to its extremely rare combination of being very light, wearable on the warmest of days, and great longevity. You just don't find those two qualities together, often. The ambergris sets it apart, too.

Come to think of it, coriander *seed* would work excellently as well. I'll have to wear it again and see if I can get used to that coriander leaves note.

I have never so intensely hated and was disgusted by a scent as much as when I smelled Live Jazz. Blah!

This is one I couldn't wrap myself around. The top notes were only "ok". I have no pre-conceived dislike of mint or cilantro (aka leafy coriander, not the seeds) but I must agree with shalashaska that the mint note here is definately synthetic. Thankfully it is short lasting.

However, my skin eats up any sillage the frag trys to put out. I wore it in warm weather earlier in the summer and also while working up a sweat and I couldn't get more than 2 hours out of it. Ambergris or not, it doesn't last on me. Shame, too. I had high hopes.