Code of Conduct

Default Another New Kid In College

I'll be in college in 2 weeks. I want to buy a cologne. I've never bought cologne but I've gotten some samples. I liked the D&G Light blue but it didn't last very long. I also like kenneth cole reaction, but a lot of people say that it doesn't last very long. Cool Water Deep smelled nice in the beginning but smelled kind of awkward after a while. I might plan on getting Polo Blue, but that is on the pricey side. Any other suggestions for a freshmen in college?

thanks
    Last edited by kyang08; 10th August 2008 at 01:43 AM.

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Another New Kid In College

Quote Originally Posted by kyang08 View Post
    I'll be in college in 2 weeks. I want to buy a cologne. I've never bought cologne but I've gotten some samples. I liked the D&G Light blue but it didn't last very long. I also like kenneth cole reaction, but a lot of people say that it doesn't last very long. Cool Water Deep smelled nice in the beginning but smelled kind of awkward after a while. I might plan on getting Polo Blue, but that is on the pricey side. Any other suggestions for a freshmen in college?

thanks

hey there

well it depends what u want. mmm if u liked light blue, then i doubt i can offer much of my personal opinions....

But for what its worth, here's my top 5

CD Fahrenheit ( alot find it not suitable for the younger college student, but ive been using it close to a decade and i think i was ur age then.)

Bvlgari Aqva Pour Homme (Acqua Di Gio's Longevity nemisis, making the latter look like a servant) btw girls love ADGio on men, tho most ppl i konw ditched their ADGs after Bvg Aqva stole the show. my ADGio now serves as my room freshner, Popular with the ladies but i think half the ppl within ur demograph would being wearing it.

Leau D'Issey Pour Homme, my metrosexual scent

Bvlgari Extreme Pour homme, (the original PH has less fruit notes, but both are great)

Gucci Envy, the "modern classic"

Gucci phII, the above average fresh scent

Tuscany Uomo, Aramis, strong, but contemporary

Fahrenheit 32, my fav flanker (variation within the same genre and base scent)

If u dont mind somethng strong and green herb smelling, Paco Rabanne PH ( tho quite wierd to be worn to colllege coz it can be quite over powering, tho i find that it drys down a little like Fahrenheit.

last but not least, Eau Sauvage. Some say it smells old fasion, but thats coz they havent grown up yet. Nice crisp and refreshing... as raw as authentic citrus notes can get

Now its time for you to go sample some suggestion that others may list down for ya. I didt give too much details to how they smell coz end of day u stil have to try it out first. Those i mentioned are the few i have that i think can fit your generic profile. Maybe drop the Paco Rabanne PH, coz im sure alot will say its too heavy to wear to college, but i wore it back when i was in my early 20s and i still had some great female feedback.
    All the best finding what u like, dont hesistate to PM if u need more details, meanwhile u could check my wardrobe and if u find something interesting, i'll be glad to share my experiences with u. cheers

matt
    Last edited by MFJ; 10th August 2008 at 03:25 AM.

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

my bad missed out on the budget part, but dont worry, there are alot of great stuff that are cheaper and MUCH better tha Polo Blue.... if ure even considering Polo Blue, then i say give Bvlgari Extreme a shot. I find Polo Blue to be extremely flat... and quite overpowering at times. Ive nvr owned any polo other than the Original Green, the rest have been just disappointing.

i strongly recommend aigner black, its a great scent for a really decent price.

maybe you could give a little more detials about ur budget range and a rough idea of the kind of scent u prefer, then i think members here can help u filter out some decent choices so u dont have to sample too many b4 finding a suitably priced and complimenting scent.

Post Thanks / Like

Calvin Klein Man has better longevity than most designer frags at the same pricepoint, smells nice and fresh (mint and rosemary) but its different from many of the typical scents that you'll smell on campus. It's light enough not to be overpowering to your future classmates but has enough presence that people who get close to you will pick up on the scent. Best of all you can usually pick it up cheap on eBay. Boss Pure is a nice light scent that has decent longevity.that can also be found on eBay for under $50.
    Last edited by surreality; 10th August 2008 at 04:22 AM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    my bad missed out on the budget part, but dont worry, there are alot of great stuff that are cheaper and MUCH better tha Polo Blue.... if ure even considering Polo Blue, then i say give Bvlgari Extreme a shot. I find Polo Blue to be extremely flat... and quite overpowering at times. Ive nvr owned any polo other than the Original Green, the rest have been just disappointing.

i strongly recommend aigner black, its a great scent for a really decent price.

maybe you could give a little more detials about ur budget range and a rough idea of the kind of scent u prefer, then i think members here can help u filter out some decent choices so u dont have to sample too many b4 finding a suitably priced and complimenting scent.
    I'm looking at probably under $50 dollars. Something that I could afford in college .

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking at probably under $50 dollars. Something that I could afford in college .
    Im sure there are many Bvg Extreme 100ml/3.4oz going just below the 50 mark on US based sites.
    I get them at wholesale rates thanks to my partner who owns a frag/cosm in a prominent local mal. Ironically, his shop faces a SASA storefront at a slight angle lol

aigner black should be cheaper by 10 bucks at least... and its the only redeeming scent that aigner has produced. aigner is one of the les expensive labels out there and only the black is worth buying, ive 4 different aigner bottles so im pretty sure only the black escapes from generic rubbish. anyways PM sent, if i can help u in anyway just feel fre to drop a PM anytime.
    Last edited by MFJ; 10th August 2008 at 10:11 AM.

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    Calvin Klein Man has better longevity than most designer frags at the same pricepoint, smells nice and fresh (mint and rosemary) but its different from many of the typical scents that you'll smell on campus. It's light enough not to be overpowering to your future classmates but has enough presence that people who get close to you will pick up on the scent. Best of all you can usually pick it up cheap on eBay. Boss Pure is a nice light scent that has decent longevity.that can also be found on eBay for under $50.

CK Man, Eternity, Calvin, Obsession and even contradiction has not bad a longevity for something that sweet... CK imo ae the few designer frags that are very original. Tho i hate escape and crave, i have to say the CK has done a pretty good job over the decades, producing scents that set the tred for others to copy....

kyang08, my mos sincere sentiments : if i had to choose between polo blue or versace blue jeans, id take blue jeans... No offence intended, but have u tried polo blue , like sampling it a couple of timess or at least a sample that could last 3-4 wears? coz for me my best judgement comes after i wear the scent over a couple of days, using a sample. Polo Blue just doesnt seem worth u paying that much for buddy...do a search on amazon for that matter, i think they have alot of offers below 50, i recently saw Bvlgari Aqva 100ml at 48.50US. ure deserve better really. I really apologise for sticking my nose so deep, but its sad if u had to waste ur dosh on polo...... anything polo for that matter....

then again, my philosophy is that the satisfaction is yours to achieve, As long as u feel great wearing it, then nothing else matters, unless your partner hates it.... then u really dont have much of a choice then
    Last edited by MFJ; 10th August 2008 at 10:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Versace man Eau Fraiche sounds like exactly what you want. The reviews probably describe it better than I can, but I personally would just say it smells damned good. It also lasts rather well for a "fresh" scent - about 5-6 hours, and much longer if you spray your clothes.
    Its also cheap!
    I must admit, when I used to wear Polo Blue, it lasted a reasonably long while, and girls did really like it, so it might be worth splashing out the extra $$$ for it. Try to give it a few really good testings though, as it changes alot when it drys down. Also every Asian guy at my uni wears it (no racism intended)
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    aigner black should be cheaper by 10 bucks at least... and its the only redeeming scent that aigner has produced. aigner is one of the les expensive labels out there and only the black is worth buying, ive 4 different aigner bottles so im pretty sure only the black escapes from generic rubbish.
    I liked Aigner stuff a lot when I was young, so it's interesting to hear about the scents (I have none). I may pick up the black if I see it, or keep my eye open for a sample.

Thanks!

YSL Live Jazz is worth a shot too. The first 30 minutes are a bit weird, (mint + lemon + coriander), but once the coriander note fades, you get a nice and refreshing mint and lemon with hints of cedar and ambergris (one of perfumery's most 'prized materials' - sure the ambergris in this is synthetic but it still smells nice!) during the drydown. It's quite refreshing, and light enough to be worn on the hottest of days, and yet lasts all day.

edit: And it can be found for cheap.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 10th August 2008 at 02:24 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

L'Eau d'Iseey pour homme. I'm a sophomore in college. Take my word for it (before u blow/waste your money on multiple colognes). It will last whole day if sprayed on clothes. U r in middle east so u can wear summer versions all year long (lucky you!). Try gettin them they will be cheaper than regular version and better smelling than CK, Versace or lacoste stuff.
    Check online sellers, you'll find it for the price u r lookin for.

I'll recommennd looking for bulk sample vials on ebay (never buy bottles of this stuff from ebay because they are more likely to be a counterfeit) as you may get them for a lot cheaper. Try L'eau d'issey and Le Male by Gaultier. You won't be dissapointed.
    Last edited by play; 10th August 2008 at 06:20 PM.

is anyone familiar with kenneth cole reaction? I think it smells nice, but I'm afraid that it doesn't last every long also, i'm not sure how it smells when it tried on skin.
    What about cool water by davidoff?

Man, so many suggestions. I guess I gotta smell them all
    Last edited by kyang08; 11th August 2008 at 05:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that Fahrenheit and L'eau d'Issey (and its variants Extreme and Fraiche) are great choices for college students. Also if you look around a bit you probably can find Terre d'Hermes for that price and let's not forget the safe YSL's L'Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    YSL Live Jazz is worth a shot too. The first 30 minutes are a bit weird, (mint + lemon + coriander), but once the coriander note fades, you get a nice and refreshing mint and lemon with hints of cedar and ambergris (one of perfumery's most 'prized materials' - sure the ambergris in this is synthetic but it still smells nice!) during the drydown. It's quite refreshing, and light enough to be worn on the hottest of days, and yet lasts all day.

edit: And it can be found for cheap.
    Seconded. Probably not the best choice for winter or fall, but a good solid bet for the other half of the year. And cheap is right. Got my 100ml for $20 as a blind buy.

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I liked Aigner stuff a lot when I was young, so it's interesting to hear about the scents (I have none). I may pick up the black if I see it, or keep my eye open for a sample.

Thanks!
    For what its worth, they are aigner X limited, Blue emotion, black and another one i swear i have it somewhere in my room, i cant even remember the name of it... get back to u on that

matt
    Last edited by MFJ; 11th August 2008 at 09:51 AM.

does anyone have any thoughts on cool water by davidoff?

does anyone have any thoughts on cool water by davidoff?
    I love it, but its more of a nostalgia thing for me I think. I'm not that old, I'm 23, but my first girlfriend in high school got me a bottle of it because it was her favorite fragrance for men. I'd say try it, because even though its a classic in my eyes, it seems there's a group of people that find it repulsive. It is VERY easy to over do it with CW. ONE repeat ONE spritz is all you need for the day. It can be awful if its overdone, and god I made that mistake once. I was sitting in my car getting ready to drive to school and thought, "Jesus...if I'm knocking myself over this can't be good." I went back and took a shower and did not reapply, but it had sunk into my clothes and was still way too much. You might even just mist with it. The dry down is amazing and refreshing, so unique in my mind, but maybe I just haven't been paying enough attention to the fragrance world. Give it a shot, the tiny bottles are cheap and 5mL will last you a good while, definitely long enough to see if you like it.

ive been to macys like 10 times and havent bought cologne yet lol

look into XY by Hugo Boss even the boss in motion series is great!

delete
    Last edited by kyang08; 21st August 2008 at 05:03 AM.

If you want something ladies love, lasts a long time and still comes in at a reasonable price check out...

Acqua Di Gio - One caveat, everyone wears it on campus. Maybe not everyone but it will feel like it.
    Issey Miyaki Intense - My personal fav to recommend for you.
    Cool Water - It was a hit in the 90's and still works today for younger folks, my former signature scent.
    Polo Sport - Fresh, smooth, and lasts awhile.
    Bvlgari Pour Homme - I did not care for it at first but it does last and smells very nice.
    Bvlgari Avqa - The nemesis of Acqua Di Gio, not quite as sweet as ADG but still very nice.
    Paco Rabana XS - Smells like Creed Himalaya at a fraction of the price.
    Tommy Hilfiger - The original, notorious in the 90's but in the here and now you should be fine. Ladies love it.
    YSL L'Homme - Not much loved here, I find it too sweet, but damn if this is not a female orgasm in a bottle, and it lasts and lasts.
    Last edited by Kahuna Cowboy; 21st August 2008 at 05:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Man's Hand View Post
    If you want something ladies love, lasts a long time and still comes in at a reasonable price check out...

Acqua Di Gio - One caveat, everyone wears it on campus. Maybe not everyone but it will feel like it.
    Issey Miyaki Intense - My personal fav to recommend for you.
    Cool Water - It was a hit in the 90's and still works today for younger folks, my former signature scent.
    Polo Sport - Fresh, smooth, and lasts awhile.
    Bvlgari Pour Homme - I did not care for it at first but it does last and smells very nice.
    Bvlgari Avqa - The nemesis of Acqua Di Gio, not quite as sweet as ADG but still very nice.
    Paco Rabana XS - Smells like Creed Himalaya at a fraction of the price.
    Tommy Hilfiger - The original, notorious in the 90's but in the here and now you should be fine. Ladies love it.
    YSL L'Homme - Not much loved here, I find it too sweet, but damn if this is not a female orgasm in a bottle, and it lasts and lasts.
    i forgot to mention le male. It's quite nice . Don't use Acqua Di Gio. It's a nice fragrance but 99% of the guys wear it -- especially college students. I assure you. Don't bother.

Creed SMW is good too. Don't confuse it with Swiss Army's fragrance "Swiss Mountain water"

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Man's Hand View Post
    The Pour Homme is good, but play around with the Sior and the Extreme before buying one. I haven't (and likely won't) buy any of them, but they're subtley different...

Thanks to MathewFoo's advice, my Aqva arrived today: Great stuff, just like I remember sampling. I'm not getting too much of a salt feel off of it, but I think it's my skin.

YSL L'homme was my first ''real' purchase, and still, absolutely, fully, my favorite. So much so, that is, I've only worn it a few times, so I get that initial reaction each time.

Caveat being: I'm pretty much as new as you, kyang, so I haven't played around with the gourmand scents so many people here love. From the neg reviews I read of L'homme, it seems that most people don't dislike the scent, it just isn't as 'out there' as other YSL, and comes across as extremely boring. To me though, it's an utterly fantastic smell that has me smelling myself all day.
    Also, yes, I get more compliments on L'homme than anything else, and I wear it far less.

Quote Originally Posted by Justinh View Post
    The Pour Homme is good, but play around with the Sior and the Extreme before buying one. I haven't (and likely won't) buy any of them, but they're subtley different...

Thanks to MathewFoo's advice, my Aqva arrived today: Great stuff, just like I remember sampling. I'm not getting too much of a salt feel off of it, but I think it's my skin.

YSL L'homme was my first ''real' purchase, and still, absolutely, fully, my favorite. So much so, that is, I've only worn it a few times, so I get that initial reaction each time.

Caveat being: I'm pretty much as new as you, kyang, so I haven't played around with the gourmand scents so many people here love. From the neg reviews I read of L'homme, it seems that most people don't dislike the scent, it just isn't as 'out there' as other YSL, and comes across as extremely boring. To me though, it's an utterly fantastic smell that has me smelling myself all day.
    Also, yes, I get more compliments on L'homme than anything else, and I wear it far less.
    L'homme is quite classy . I just wouldn't wear it to class. It becomes a bit too strong and obvious. Be judicious about when you're using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blowe46 View Post
    L'homme is quite classy . I just wouldn't wear it to class. It becomes a bit too strong and obvious. Be judicious about when you're using it.
    Indeed. It's much more of a night time, slightly upscale social smell. Very warm and spicy on me.

Wearing it at school wouldn't make it smell bad, it would just not seem like it 'fits.'