Code of Conduct

Default SotW August 2nd-8th, 2008

Bum-Bum-Ba-Bum-Bum; DaaaH-Daah-D-Dah-Dah-Dah-Dah.
    Welcome to Basenotes City and the 2008 Summer Scentlympic Games. International Scentlympic Chairman Grant Osborne was on hand as the traditional flaming atomizer was lit at last night’s awesome smelling opening ceremonies. The entire scented world has descended on Basenotes City. I’m Somerville Metro Man, here in the International Forum Center keeping you informed with up-to-date information from Week 23. Before we start it is always interesting to see what the Scentlympic Village is made up of.
    This week we had 1,118 total posts only 10 off of our all-time high in Week 14.
    A new all-time high of 664 different scents were worn this week.
    Of those scents 455 were worn once for an individuality index of 40.7% down slightly from 457 and 44.6% last week.
    Last week I started to break down the five biggest houses and what their wear patterns are. I’m going to continue that for a few weeks to see what, if anything, changes. Guerlain still has the most overall wears at 68 over 25 scents for a House Index of 2.72. Serge Lutens had the most different scents worn with 56 wears over 27 scents for a House Index of 2.07. Hermes had the highest House Index with 51 wears over 15 scents for a 3.40. Creed had 50 wears over 19 scents for a 2.63 and Chanel had 35 wears over 17 scents for a 2.06. Chanel was identical for both weeks. Creed was off slightly on both numbers. Guerlain had more wears but less diversity as scents were down. Hermes was up on both numbers and there’s a reason for that which will become clearer once we get into the top 10. Serge Lutens was up in both numbers too without placing a scent in the top 20. This house seems to be more widely worn over more scents than the others of the big 5. Chanel was equally diverse but it is the least of the big 5 as of now.
    In the other Houses Cartier and Armani had big up weeks with Cartier setting a new high for that House. Bvlgari has been riding the popularity of Bvlgari Aqua pour Homme the last two weeks. That’s what a strong flag bearer can do for a house. When the flag bearer has a down week the house as a whole is down. That was certainly the case with Comme des Garcons as Hinoki and Vettiveru had lower than normal weeks. The two houses having Basenotes sale promotions, Montale and Neil Morris, are still way up over their usual averages but not as much as last week. Possets makes a big splash based on Sakecat’s extensive week-long testing and The Difference Company posts its highest week with a lot of unisex wear.
    The top 10 this week was a lot of fun to watch unfold. I think it might be the most interesting top 10 we’ve had yet because most of the entries are not the usual suspects. No it’s not so historic that Hermes Terre D’Hermes doesn’t make it for the first time although it isn’t in the top five. We almost had a women’s only scent on a non-organized wear basis make it to #1. Estee Lauder Sensuous has been getting a lot of wear as the ladies test it out and this week it finished one wear short of the top spot. In the top spot is a scent totally worn by the guys, and guys hoping to get bitten, Yves St. Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme. In a three-way tie for third we had the scent most preferred on 08/08/08 Czech & Speake #88 and again two stalwarts mostly worn by one gender or the other Guerlain Jicky and Tauer L’Air du Desert Marocain. As mentioned above in the House discussion Bvlgari Aqua pour Homme had another big week along with two scents with some pretty unisex support Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur and Creed Virgin Island Water. Lastly Hermes Kelly Caleche finishes out our top 10. The high number for Kelly Caleche is what really pushed Hermes’ House Index sky high. The top 10 is made up of three scents mainly worn by the women, five worn mainly by the men, and two pretty unisex supported scents. I really like that this top 10 was so different there are a lot of the usual scents missing and its not that they didn’t get worn, just not enough. Most of the missing regulars all had wears of five or better it just wasn’t good enough to make it in on a week like this.
    Top 10 for August 2nd-8th. 2008
    1.) Yves St. Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme 13 wears (1.2%)
    2.) Estee Lauder Sensuous 12 wears (1.1%)
    3.) Czech & Speake #88 11 wears (1.0%)
    3.) Guerlain Jicky 11 wears (1.0%)
    3.) Tauer L’Air du Desert Marocain 11 wears (1.0%)
    6.) Hermes Terre D’Hermes 10 wears (0.9%)
    7.) Bvlgari Aqua pour Homme 9 wears (0.8%)
    8.) Creed virgin Island Water 8 wears (0.7%)
    8.) Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur 8 wears (0.7%)
    8.) Hermes Kelly Caleche 8 wears (0.7%)

Four scents just missed Thierry Mugler Cologne and Creed Silver Mountain Water aren’t surprising. The other two Dior Fahrenheit and Frederic Malle Noir Epices set new highs that likely would’ve netted them top 10 status on any other week, but not in week 23.
    Well that’s it from here atop the Scentlympic Stadium as the Scented Flame continues to burn.
    As always you keep wearing ‘em and I’ll keep counting ‘em
    Have a well-fragranced week.
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 10th August 2008 at 04:59 AM.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Blog Entries

Default Re: SotW August 2nd-8th, 2008

...as the traditional flaming atomizer was lit...
    LMAO (Laughing My Atomizer Off!)

And no steroids, scandals, or fighting in the stands between designerheads and niche hooligans.

As always, interesting as hell. Thanks, MetroMan!

Thanks SMM, you certainly continue to make your ScentDad proud!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Mondo cool, dude!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

I may think before posting now !
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)