Code of Conduct

Default Éclat d'Arpège by Lanvin

It seems like people like this scent, but no one ever mentions it on this forum. I got a sample today at Nordstrom's, and when I mentioned I had never heard of it, the SA said it was "Very Exclusive". However, I am reading about it and it seems as if it is not exclusive at all! Perhaps they said it just to make me want to pat the $90 price tag?

Default Re: Éclat d'Arpège by Lanvin

Well, there is the nearly invincible history of Arpege and its black boule, a deserved place in the history of the type of French perfume that created a tremendous aspirational groundswell stateside during WW I and subsequently. Then there is the marketing hype that becomes a mockery thanks to insufficient training/illiteracy among perfume salespersons (illiteracy being defined as a failure to research or take adequate academic interest in the product); for all we know the information provided is all the salesperson knows; try the experiment of discussing so-called "niche" scents with your garden-variety SA and watch what happens: defensiveness.

"Very exclusive" translates into "So says the accompanying cheat sheet." It has nothing to do with desirability or availability.

Default Re: Éclat d'Arpège by Lanvin

No, I don't think you could call this exclusive when its readily available at perfume discounters like Scentiments ($25.99 for 50 ml). Very few things you can buy at Nordstrom would be considered exclusive - although they might have exclusive rights to sell something for a short time.

The bottom line, though, is whether you like it or not. If you do, make sure you shop around before buying!