Code of Conduct
    Sur la Plage

Talking JaimeB and Joe's San Francisco Adventure

My partner Gary and I just came back from a week of vacation in the San Francisco area. We had a fantastic time.

During our stay, we were able to meet up with fellow BNer JaimeB (Jim). Jim was a very gracious host and tour guide. We all had lunch together where we chatted and got to know each other a little bit. Then Gary decided to do his own thing and let Jim and I go fragrance sampling (Gary's not really into that ). So Jim took me around to some of his favorite places to sample fragrances and meet some of the most knowledgeable and helpful SAs I have ever encountered. We visited Barneys, Neiman Marcus, Nordstroms, Saks, Nordstrom, Gucci and Fragranza. Some of the fragrances we sampled were:

The Different Company Un Parfum de Charmes et Feuilles - Wow! I liked this one very much, and so did Jim. Notes contain marjoram, pepper mint, sage, serpolet, jasmine sambac, grapefruit, clementine and patchouli. I need to try this some more, but I think Jim already purchased it

The Different Company Sel de Vetiver – A absolutely fantastic vetiver fragrance. My friend Anthony (nthny) has been extolling the virtues of this fragrance, and I couldn’t agree with him more. I already own a bunch of vetiver fragrances. But if I decide to add another to my wardrobe, this would be the one.

L'Artisan Fleur de Liane – It is a very nice green scent. I personally have not found any L’Artisan fragrance that has thrilled me enough to make me want to purchase any. This will not be the one that makes me pull the trigger.

Antonia's Flowers Tiempe Passante – A pleasant rose based scent. A little too light for my tastes though.

Parfums Delrae Bois de Paradis – Another rose based fragrance, but this time with blackberries also. I liked it and definitely want to give this one some further sampling.

Comme des Garcons LUXE Champaca & Patchouli – These both are nice enough fragrances, but nothing outstanding or special – and in no way worth the price IMO (~$265 for 45ml).

Guerlain Sous la Vent – Fresh and green heaven! This is one of the most gorgeous scents I have smelled. I want a bottle of this!. It’s pricey, but I think definitely well worth it.

Guerlain Derby – Outstanding! A perfectly blended and crafted scent – from the citrus/mint top notes to the leather drydown. Why did they ever discontinue this? Well I am glad it is back, and definitely want to get a bottle. But of course now you have to pay a lot more for it!

Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille - Disappointing. I wasn’t blown away by this - maybe I was expecting too much from it. There even seemed to be some sourness I was getting from it, which was not pleasant. I can rule this off of my purchase list.

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme - As I think I had already posted - terrific top notes and then the whole thing is gone in < 2 hours. It has one of the poorest longevity factors that I think I have ever encountered. I think they need to come out with an Extreme version ASAP.

Jim is a very warm, kind, interesting and knowledgeable person - and I thoroughly enjoyed the time we spent together. Unfortunately we did not get to meet his new hubby Russ, he was working - but maybe next time.

Here is a picture of us at Saks - Jim on the left, me on the right.

Last edited by petruccijc; 10th August 2008 at 02:38 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Re: JaimeB and Joe's San Francisco Adventure

Great read!

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Yes. Great post and looks as though you both had fun sniffing around the city. I need to give Sel de Vetiver another sampling soon!

Looks like you guys had fun!

I'll have to check out The Different Company based on your comments.

It sure is nice to see men wearing jackets. God, I wish it wasn't so hot here!

noggs

Blog Entries

Great post Joe!

You have peaked my interest in Un Parfum de Charmes et Feuilles. Whats the scoop of Derby coming back in production? Thats news to me.

If Jock_Wit_Scents, sloan_8013, rach2jlc and scentemantal keep on coming with killer sales, then soon my wardrobe will rival that of JaimeB's and Noggs'!
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Dang, missed another sniffathon

thnx for the post! lovely reflections

Basenotes Institution

Jealous! San Francisco has incredible fragrance shopping - doesn't it??

Yes, very surprised you got a cold reaction from Spiriteuse Double Vanille Joe, but maybe it's just not for you. Sous la Vent (which I've never smelled) sounds great!

What store stocked these rare Guerlains? Barney's? Or Nordstroms?

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Jealous! San Francisco has incredible fragrance shopping - doesn't it??

Yes, very surprised you got a cold reaction from Spiriteuse Double Vanille Joe, but maybe it's just not for you. Sous la Vent (which I've never smelled) sounds great!

What store stocked these rare Guerlains? Barney's? Or Nordstroms?
    The Neiman Marcus in San Francisco has one of the largest Guerlain collections I have ever seen - I've only seen more in Paris and Epcot. Besides what I listed, some of the others they had were:

Angelique Noir
    Bois d'Armenie
    Philtre d'Amor
    Rose Barbare
    Cruel Gardenia
    L'Ame d'un Heros
    Mouchoir de Monsieur
    Cologne No 68
    Vega
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by mudassir View Post
    Great post Joe!

You have peaked my interest in Un Parfum de Charmes et Feuilles. Whats the scoop of Derby coming back in production? Thats news to me.

If Jock_Wit_Scents, sloan_8013, rach2jlc and scentemantal keep on coming with killer sales, then soon my wardrobe will rival that of JaimeB's and Noggs'!
    I don't know the whole story, but I thought in 2005 Guerlain completed a renovation of its flagship store in Paris. So to commemorate that, they announced they were re-issuing some fragrances as limited editions - which included Derby.

We visited Barneys, Neiman Marcus, Nordstroms, Saks, Nordstrom, Gucci and Fragranza.

wow, that was a big excursion. You look smart with the jackets.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I don't know the whole story, but I thought in 2005 Guerlain completed a renovation of its flagship store in Paris. So to commemorate that, they announced they were re-issuing some fragrances as limited editions - which included Derby.

That is very true, but it is my understanding that it has since been discontinued for the second time.

Do you remember how many bottles Neiman Marcus had and how much they were asking?
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

White shirts and jackets, any special occasion we should know about?
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I also usually wear a tuxedo when visiting a local neiman marcus....=)

you guys look great and i'm sure smell even better than you look.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Blog Entries

Ah, what a great time! Glad to see Sel de Vetiver getting some love. And Un Parfum de Charmes et Feuilles is definitely one that I am really wowed by. It has that same, beautiful, sharp note that I get from the sage bundles (smudge sticks) that I bought at the Taos Pueblo in New Mexico. Just love it!

Fantasy vacation!

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme - ... I think they need to come out with an Extreme version ASAP.
    LOL! Amen! No mistake that can't be fixed by a good flanker! Although doing so right on the heels of the first launch is never a good sign!

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    That is very true, but it is my understanding that it has since been discontinued for the second time.
    White shirts and jackets, any special occasion we should know about?
    Damn it! They always discontinue the good ones!

No reason for the jackets, other then the unpredictable San Francisco weather
    Last edited by petruccijc; 11th August 2008 at 12:06 AM.

Fun! Ummm... where are the pictures from OUR fragrance outing? hahaha Tampa Bay, FL really needs a fragrance shop where high end niche fragrances can be found. Thanks for sharing Joe!!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Do you remember how many bottles Neiman Marcus had and how much they were asking?
    There was a rumor going around that they were going to discontinue Derby again, so I bought a backup bottle. Then the word was it wouldn't be pulled after all; at least this is according to the Guerlain rep at SF Neiman's, and she's usually very well informed.

They still have Derby in stock, though I couldn't say how many bottles. If you're interested call SF Neiman's at (415)362-3900 and ask for Josie at the Guerlain counter; tell her you were referred by Jim. Oh, I think the price is $195 US for this and all the other Les Parisiennes series (bottles are 125 ml., 4.2 fl. oz.), but I keep hearing all the European companies are going to raise their prices again soon.

BTW, I have to say it was also a pleasure for me to meet Joe and Gary. My time with Joe was a lot of fun for me, too. He's a warm, funny guy, and he really takes the scent business seriously; he even made notes on everything he sniffed! I'm looking forward to their next trip out this way. There are still places to visit and more scents to sniff in San Francisco; we didn't cover everything.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 11th August 2008 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Update on prices and sizes of Guerlains.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Jim and Jaime...thanks to share with us your story.....

Jim....I thought the picture of your avatar was you!

By the way, both look very nice!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tonysoprano100 View Post
    Jim and Jaime...thanks to share with us your story.....

Jim....I thought the picture of your avatar was you!

By the way, both look very nice!
    Err... Jaime y Jim es la misma persona (JaimeB), en efecto, soy yo. Joe es petruccijc. ["Jim" es "Jaime" en inglés.]
    Last edited by JaimeB; 11th August 2008 at 04:51 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Cool Re: JaimeB and Joe's San Francisco Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    Tampa Bay, FL really needs a fragrance shop where high end niche fragrances can be found. Thanks for sharing Joe!!
    Well, Sarasota has a Saks Fifth Ave, but there's a whole lot more that they don't carry than do.

Great post, ty for this interesting read.

I have to plan a trip there as well, looks great.

Smile Re: JaimeB and Joe's San Francisco Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Err... Jaime y Jim es la misma persona (JaimeB), en efecto, soy yo. Joe es petruccijc. ["Jim" es "Jaime" en inglés.]
    Gracias por la aclaración Jim! Ahora sí!

Great to read about, got me inspired!

How is the Malle boutique doing at Barneys in S.F.? I used to be a regular drop-in at Barneys, but I've fallen off recently.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    Great to read about, got me inspired!

How is the Malle boutique doing at Barneys in S.F.? I used to be a regular drop-in at Barneys, but I've fallen off recently.
    The first guy who was there, Johnny, moved on... not sure where he went. The new guy, Alfonso, is very sweet and friendly, helpful to a fault. Last time I spoke with him, he said they were going to have another person on the Frédéric Malle counter, but I haven't met him yet. Looking forward to quizzing them some more on Dans Tes Bras, the new one coming out his fall.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 12th August 2008 at 05:35 AM. Reason: to fix broken punctuation
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Thank you so much for sharing!
    Very good post...

Cheers!

Looks like you guys had fun! I still haven't tried Derby ...

Another standard green from L'Artisan? This house has moved way down the list of my favorite houses...cmon L'Artisan, that scented humidifier isn't what we want, bring out another Dzing !
    -

Helpful and knowledgeable SAs? In Saks, NM, and Nordstrom? Wow...things certainly have changed since I left San Francisco...
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    The Neiman Marcus in San Francisco has one of the largest Guerlain collections I have ever seen - I've only seen more in Paris and Epcot. Besides what I listed, some of the others they had were:

Angelique Noir
    Bois d'Armenie
    Philtre d'Amor
    Rose Barbare
    Cruel Gardenia
    L'Ame d'un Heros
    Mouchoir de Monsieur
    Cologne No 68
    Vega
    That's an incredible list. I've never seen Philtre d'Amour on a shelf for sale...I've been looking for that for a while. Thanks!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    That's an incredible list. I've never seen Philtre d'Amour on a shelf for sale...I've been looking for that for a while. Thanks!
    I think Joe especially liked Philtre d'Amour. I have had it for a while, and I love it for its simplicity and fresh beauty; it's like a spring day. Citrus selection in the top note; white florals, petitgrain (woody, leafy citrus) and myrtle in the heart, and a very moderate (but significant) patchouli in the base. Absolutely killer!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Sounds like you guys had absolutely fabulous time! Based on Joe's descriptions I really have to test TDC's Un Parfum de Charmes et Feuilles and Guerlain's Derby & Sous la Vent. L'Artisan Fleur de Liane and Guerlain's Philtre d'Amour could also be something I like - I guess I will add them too into my ever-growing test list

Thanks for sharing your experience with us!!!!

-Tero-

ps. Joe: TDC's Sel de Vetiver is simply a piece of heaven, isn't it?! That one and Sycomore are my holy grails of all vetiver scents.
    Last edited by GGA; 13th August 2008 at 09:18 AM. Reason: corrected the typos