Code of Conduct

Default Good reformulations?

My Tabac Blond debacle leads me to start this thread. Reformulation of fragrances seem to happen a lot nowadays, and often the manufacturer is very silent about it. Maybe because it often leads to a not so good result.

I guess that it sometimes is necessary due to legal matters, but I wonder if not money has a lot to do with it. Cheaper ingredients makes less expensive perfume to produce.

But money sometimes makes old favorites come back, if it seem possible they will sell well - like maybe the Donna Karans.

My question: What is your favorite reformulation / reissue?

Mine must be Guerlain Derby. They say it is reformulated but it is very close to the original - some like the new one even better.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Good reformulations?

Mitsouko by Guerlain

I really like the current formulation of Carven's Vetiver. The one that's out now is much better than the one of a few years ago--better longevity and much better presence of the scent.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

baghari by piguet

Off-Scenter

I've got to agree on the two Guerlains: the new Mitsouko and Derby are both successes. I'm also impressed by the reissued Givenchy III, though I'm not sure there's been any change to the formula.

I like the current version of Chanel 19 edt. Some say it's been reformulated, but I haven't been wearing it long enough to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    I've got to agree on the two Guerlains: the new Mitsouko and Derby are both successes.
    Heritage and Mouchoir de Monsieur are reformulated as well. In both cases longlivety was improved (esp. MdM! The new juice smells fantastic and lasts incredibly long!) while the scents remained the same.

Royal English Leather (reformulated 1805) is pretty damn good. Of course I've never tried the original

Seriously C&S No. 88 is still excellent, despite losing some of its rose darkness, due, not perhaps to a reformulation proper, but the use of a different manufacturer (and thus oil source).
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    I've got to agree on the two Guerlains: the new Mitsouko and Derby are both successes. I'm also impressed by the reissued Givenchy III, though I'm not sure there's been any change to the formula.
    Quote Originally Posted by sables View Post
    Heritage and Mouchoir de Monsieur are reformulated as well. In both cases longlivety was improved (esp. MdM! The new juice smells fantastic and lasts incredibly long!) while the scents remained the same.

Why don´t we try to get Guerlain´s reformulation people to work for Caron during the holiday? I´m sure some BNoters are willing to pay the bill...
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Not to mention Guerlain's Vetiver - I'm one of those who like the 2000-juice even better than the earlier juice(s). I agree on all the rest + Habit Rouge.

Their worst reformulation must be Chamade, and then Shalimar.

Royal Briar by Carroll & Co. is much more to my liking than the original Atkinsons version, which was much stronger and "grandma smelling" -- and not much to my liking. In fact it was quite nauseating.

The Carroll & Co. version is in my personal Top 10.

The new Giorgio for Men is virtually identical to the original.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Seconding Baghari by Piguet.

This was reformulated with respect and an eye for both history and the future. I like it a lot.

Sur la Plage

I never smelled the originals, but if the current versions are anything like them, they did a great job with the reformulation/reissue:

Piguet Fracas
    Givenchy Vetyver
    Guerlain Derby
    Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Mitsouko.

In nearly all the others, you had real vanilla and civette which make a real difference.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

The re-work done on the D'Orsay fragrance line is pretty much first rate.

Of late?
    Definitely Givenchy's Vetyver.
    you might add Gyvenchy's L'Interdit as well..
    both part of Les Mythiques

Quote Originally Posted by pelle View Post
    Why don´t we try to get Guerlain´s reformulation people to work for Caron during the holiday? I´m sure some BNoters are willing to pay the bill...
    Sounds good..... count me in!!