Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post Creed's claim of royalty and use of naturals (Turin content)

Buried deep in 'Perfumes: The Guide' is the following quote about Creed.... I take no sides in the 'hate Creed/love Creed' wars that go on here, but I couldn't help but spit up the ice tea I was drinking after reading this:

from pp. 241-242

Millesime Imperial [2 Stars] metallic citrus

Creed's claim to being purveyors of perfume to various royal and imperial houses of Europe is dodgy: their use of the Three Feathers device (wisely minus the "Ich Dien" motto) on all their fugly packaging suggests they have a Royal Warrant from the Price of Wales, which to our knowledge is not and has never been the case. One is inclined to take with a pince of salt the long list of deceased emperors and empresses that they allegedly helped smell better. Ditto the supposed trouble to which they go to to obtain rare essences and extracts: slow, expensive, low-yield things like tinctures, which would even Guerlain blache. Creed's fumes abundant use of synthetic materials and are only slightly above average in use of naturals.....[the review of MI continues]

also, under 'Green Irish Tweed' (p.188), which he gives 4 stars, he makes a point of analyzing the construction as a "brilliantly imaginative accord of Ambroxan (metallic amber), dihydromyrcenol (gray citrus), and octin esters (green violet leaf) sweetened by a touch of apple up top and sandalwood below."

Again, I have nothing against Creed fragrances, there are some I really like (but I don't own any). However, I've long thought that their steep prices were simply a marketing ploy to create an aura of exclusivity and make Creed buyers feel as though they are buying a superior product when in fact their fragrances are on par with any other European house. If what Turin says is true, my hunch is probably correct because the alleged cost of obtaining natural raw materials really does not justify the absurd prices.

I deliberately posted this here to avoid the flaming that would ensue if certain people saw this on the male fragrance board.

Hopefully some people with more industry knowledge than me can comment?

Default Re: Creed's claim of royalty and use of naturals (Turin content)

Please look up the "Turin and Creed" thread for more discussion on this.
    -

Blog Entries

right on bbBD!

i find their scents to be all hype, with no substance.......

they're not really a niche company IMO....they're just a mainstream designer label, that sells their cheaply made stuff for more expensive prices TO SEEM like a real niche company...i've never been impressed by a Creed fragrance, and i've tried NEARLY all of the modern produced ones.......until they make something worthwhile, i'll try to knock em down to bring this whole thing down to reality.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Please look up the "Turin and Creed" thread for more discussion on this.
    Given the extremely narrow subject matter these boards cover, there's bound to be repetition, but since not everyone sees every thread and perhaps didn't participate in an earlier thread, or perhaps because a previous discussion went in one direction, I see no harm in bringing up the topic again. This quote was new to me.... no harm no foul, but I will check out the earlier thread to see what people had to say.

btw, I love your reviews ZZ...

Blog Entries

Oh god, not this again. It doesn't matter where you place it, people will find it. And this corpse didn't need resurrected. IMHO. A search, as suggested above, will give you all the results, venom, and hilarity surrounding same.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Lots of things in the world enjoy very comfortable profit margins, I am sure Creed is no different. If you don't like the price or you feel the item is not worth the amount asked then buy something else. There are lots of other great colognes and perfumes to choose from ranging from cheap to lavishly expensive.

Case in point, I bought a Surefire flashlight last week. It was $110.00 as Surefire has MAP pricing in place to prevent anything less than MSRP from being charged by their dealers. Some feel MAP pricing is unfair, others feel $110.00 for a flashlight is absurd, however they are the name that all other flashlight companies are measured by. I could have bought a comparable light from another company, it probably would have been just as good but I chose the premier brand in lighting because I would not have been happy with anything else.

I do not buy Creed colognes because of their royalty claims or their premier status in the industry, I by them because I like the scent I am purchasing and they last, at least Himalaya and Erolfa which are the ones I wear. However without their premier status I probably would have never been interested in trying them.
    Last edited by Kahuna Cowboy; 11th August 2008 at 02:34 AM.

my apologies, my apologies, my apologies.... I really had no intention of starting anything and I often forget the general consensus that it's better to read old threads than start new ones. I can only suggest that anyone who doesn't want to read this thread stop immediately and pretend it's not there.... I ignore about 95% of all threads on BN and I'm sure everyone else can do the same.

Again, my bad.

Creeds on the whole are classic, simplistic, masculine scents that not everyone can pull off.
    Actually, it takes a special guy to pull them off.
    Last edited by samplermike; 11th August 2008 at 05:12 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    Creeds on the whole are classic, simplistic, masculine scents that not everyone can pull off.
    Actually, it takes a special guy to pull them off.
    LOL. a special guy like you?

I would like to see an investigative journalist take a serious look at Creed's marketed history and claims of partonage. I am quite skeptical of these claims like many, but at this point there is no documented disproof.

I see Creed to be like Rolex: a luxury brand that markets well and that charges the maximum that the market will bear. Like Rolex, the quality of the product is merely adequate IMO, on par with other mass market fragrances (no better or worse, on average). And also like Rolex there's nothing wrong with buying it if that is what you like and you don't mind paying the brand-premium.
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    I would like to see an investigative journalist take a serious look at Creed's marketed history and claims of partonage. I am quite skeptical of these claims like many, but at this point there is no documented disproof.

I see Creed to be like Rolex: a luxury brand that markets well and that charges the maximum that the market will bear. Like Rolex, the quality of the product is merely adequate IMO, on par with other mass market fragrances (no better or worse, on average). And also like Rolex there's nothing wrong with buying it if that is what you like and you don't mind paying the brand-premium.
    There's no documented disproof of the Bible's version of the creation of the universe, Adam and Eve either. That still doesn't mean the Bible tells the truth. Some people just love myths more than reality. Even the myth about fake Creeds is widely believed. If I was a journalist, I wouldn't investigate time to uncover silly nonsense like that, and ask to be sent to south Ossetia, or Tibet instead, find out more about Child labor in China or work slaves in India. Louis Vuitton has managed to block tens of thousands in Europe to visit their favorite perfume suppliers on Ebay. (This is still going on, and at the core of it may be a myth also.) People who prefer to live in a dream world deserve to be relieved from their excess dollars, even via fake Rolexes and Louis Vuitton's plastic suitcases.

With the inflation of new millionaires all over the world, Creeds and Rolexes will sell like Hamburgers in years to come. The newly rich in Russia, China, the Wall Street - wherever - don't know too much about the things they are buying. Rolex is one of the best symbols of wealth, due to the marketing (which forms a considerable part of the cost :-). 95 % of the wearers have them to be 'recognized' on the spot.

Other than an average Creed, a genuine Rolex is still top quality, I believe.
    Last edited by narcus; 12th August 2008 at 07:14 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Creed would have been a good subject for Agatha Christie to write a book on...

Every fragrance house has its "spiel." Most grand histories are made up marketing fluff, whether it's Creed, Carthusia, the new Rancé, or 4711. Those companies that actually have a tradition usually don't mention things like previous bankruptcies, resurrections and concomitant product reformulations (Penhaligon's or Crown would be typical examples here).

Creed was a small and renowned fashion house for the European upper crust which had its glory days from the era of Napoleon III to the early twentieth century. That is the period that the present-day perfume house refers to when citing their service to royalty and aristocracy. Actually, even the royal warrants reprinted on the private collection cartons are not explicitly for perfume, but for clothing, riding gear etc. Historically, the Creeds are significant as tailors and listed in fashion handbooks, while they are quite irrelevant to the history of perfumery, which was obviously just a side show of their bespoke operation.

The fashion house seems to have folded for good some time in the 1950s or early 1960s & Olivier Creed must have decided to use the house's prestige as a marketing instrument in building a new perfume house. As we know from the ebay auction of some vintage late 1960s or early 1970s bottles, he apparently sold his first colognes under his own name, as Olivier Creed Eau de Cologne (the content allegedly being what is now Selection Verte). Wether the bespoke perfume service directly transformed into the perfume house only Creed knows, but if he dates are correct, there is a constant, though narrow trickle of creations (Jasmal 59, Aubepine & Epicea in 65, Irisia 68).

As to the nature of Creed perfumes, there is no question that they are different from most other lines, in that many of the older ones do have a high natural oil content and form relaitvely simple compositions which live through the quality of the ingredients. This is a style which Turin doesn't particularly care for or consider relevant for perfume culture, which, together with his (somewhat selective) disdain for pompous marketing makes Creed one of his "special" friends. Surely if it came from any other house he would have given GIT 5 stars and a few other Creeds he praises 4 instead of 3. He rates roughly half of all Creeds positively though (3 or more stars), which isn't all that bad, really. He also fails to review many of the, IMHO, most interesting Creeds, most of all Vintage Tabarome, but also Orange Spice, which is historically important for inspring Kouros (and quite good, as well), Baie de Genievre, Royal Delight and many others.

The general trend for Creed since the 90s has seemingly been towards more designer oriented perfumes, greater reliance on new synthetic molecules and appealing to a younger clientele. That seems economically a wise move, even if the proportion of Creeds that I personally like will probably be decreasing (I'm not a fan of MI, SMW, VIW, OS). They do need to update their copy on tincures and rare essences. E.g., I am pretty certain after comparing Santal Imperial from 2003 and 2005 that it has radically changed from a high Mysore sandalwood content to highly synthetic.

I understand that Creed has managed to load its brand with a cultural meaning that makes it the object of intense adoration and hate, depending on who's looking at it. I happen to find the marketing rather unbearable, while thoroughly enjoying the wonderful Royal English Leather, Bois du Portugal, Orange Spice, Baie de Genievre, Selection Verte, GIT, Epicea, Cypres Musc and others. For the reason of these perfumes alone I wish Creed a long life, even if that means reading the same carefully placed PR blurb in some glossy men's mag again and again (well, one more reason to avoid glossy men's mags).
    Last edited by the_good_life; 11th August 2008 at 09:11 AM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I have just under 20 Creeds. I love the scents and I'm a big fan of the house style. However, I have one thing that makes me wonder about Creed's story: What's the oldest bottle of Creed that can be found floating around in circulation. People on here can find vintage bottles of the Guerlains etc, but does anyone have a bottle of Creed that was produced before say 1980? And if so, what kind of bottles did they come in? I'm curious as to what's the oldest bottle of Creed that anyone can produce.

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

Thank you, the_good_life for actually giving some perspective and intelligent analysis instead of mindlessly spouting a polarized opinion.
    Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a sleazy male stripper?
    Homer: Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I have just under 20 Creeds. I love the scents and I'm a big fan of the house style. However, I have one thing that makes me wonder about Creed's story: What's the oldest bottle of Creed that can be found floating around in circulation. People on here can find vintage bottles of the Guerlains etc, but does anyone have a bottle of Creed that was produced before say 1980? And if so, what kind of bottles did they come in? I'm curious as to what's the oldest bottle of Creed that anyone can produce.
    ItIt must be this one, which was auctioned off on ebay a while ago. Late 60s/early 70s, judging from the other stuff this guy was selling from the stock of his parents or so perfume store closed a long time ago:
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

It's up for auction now (again?). If you read carefully the line above 'Creed' reads Olivier and it's supposed to be an eau de cologne. I dunno, it doesn't come off as very authentic imo.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Creed is a line that never did much for me, but I don't find them overpriced. Some of the lines that are out now make Creed seem like a relative bargain

As usual, there exist those who talk the talk but rarely ever walk the walk. If one feels slighted by Creed's prententious marketing, that individual is entitled to file suit against Creed and subsequently become a very rich person. Posting about it in a public venue does nothing and is purely speculative. Amazing how after all these years there is not one shred of proof that Creed has lied to the public. If it bothers you that much, do the research and get back to us when something of substance is actually uncovered. This is your lottery ticket. Until then, let the juice flow and enjoy.

As usual, there exist those who talk the talk but rarely ever walk the walk. If one feels slighted by Creed's prententious marketing, that individual is entitled to file suit against Creed and subsequently become a very rich person. Posting about it in a public venue does nothing and is purely speculative. Amazing how after all these years there is not one shred of proof that Creed has lied to the public.
    What would be the legal theory underpinning the lawsuit? This statement doesn't make sense.

The purpose of posting on BN (which is a private venue, not a public venue) is to invoke discussion. No other 'purpose' is required. Settle down Mr. Mike - it's just a discussion, and if it bothers you don't click on the thread.

No one is saying Creed 'lied' - the discussion seems to be on the merits, or lack thereof, of their marketing tactics.

the_good_life's post below provides an excellent background of Creed of which I was unaware. That's some good writing!

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    it's just a discussion, and if it bothers you don't click on the thread.
    Only if we can get you and certain others to do that on pro-Creed threads...

Only if we can get you and certain others to do that on pro-Creed threads...
    LOL - you're funny. Buddy, I'm not pro or against anything - which is actually the first thing I posted on this thread. The last thing I would ever do is interject my opinion where it doesn't belong, and I dare you to find a post by me where I interject on a 'pro-creed' thread with an anti-creed opinion.

"Only if we can get you and certain others" HA! Who is the 'we' in 'we can get you'? You're actually proposing a 'deal'? The seriousness with which you posts on a cologne message board cracks me up.....That'll keep me laughing through lunch! Thanks!

I now wish, again, I had kept my mouth shut.... all the people that warned me it was impossible to have a mature conversation about this kind of stuff, because there will be those who cannot emotionally handle such a thread - you were all right, I was wrong... never again.

As usual, there exist those who talk the talk but rarely ever walk the walk. If one feels slighted by Creed's prententious marketing, that individual is entitled to file suit against Creed and subsequently become a very rich person. Posting about it in a public venue does nothing and is purely speculative. Amazing how after all these years there is not one shred of proof that Creed has lied to the public. If it bothers you that much, do the research and get back to us when something of substance is actually uncovered. This is your lottery ticket. Until then, let the juice flow and enjoy.
    Get off it. There are intelligent and thoughtful comments on this thread, and it's not cool to discourage that. Further, there are members who have specifically stated that they make comments and observations about the house's issues separate from likes and dislikes of their products, yet you continue to try to mock and squelch such. The house advertises as it advertises and thus gets comments and thoughts on that.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Historically, the Creeds are significant as tailors and listed in fashion handbooks, while they are quite irrelevant to the history of perfumery, which was obviously just a side show of their bespoke operation.
    The good_life, as usual, provides great and insightful reading. Nearly all Creed articles (or interviews), when discussing their history, mention their origins as a saddle or leather goods maker. So there's no misdirection in that. They also state that their fragrances contain a "high percentage of natural ingredients in the French perfume industry" (something which even Turin has acknowledged in the book, despite some sporadic inconsistent negative reviews stating otherwise). Nowhere have Creed stated that they are "all natural", a claim which makes some neophytes spasm with jitter attacks and cause them to post "AReZ CREEDz aLL NatuRELZ??" threads (as far as I know, amongst the big name niche houses, the only all natural organic fragrance is L'Artisans' Jatamansi).

BTW, how many of these now famous fragrance houses (30 years old or older) were originally initiated as Perfume houses? Except for Guerlain and L'Artisan, I can't come up with any other (there are ofcourse the smaller Molinards, etc.) It doesn't matter much in the end though. One of my favorite houses, Czech & Speake, is traditionally a bathroom fittings maker (albeit upscale ones..). And I am willing to bet that most perfume critics consider their fragrances to be historically irrelevant ...but heck do they smell fantastic or what. And thats what counts the most.
    -

One of my favorite houses, Czech & Speake, is traditionally a bathroom fittings maker (albeit upscale ones..).
    Okay, I would have never thought that. Or perhaps it was like this " ...bathrooms can stink.....so do people....wait a minute, we have an idea !! "

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    The house advertises as it advertises and thus gets comments and thoughts on that.
    Exactly.

Also, Creed's "fans" are annoying.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Exactly.

Also, Creed's "fans" are annoying.
    yep!

Why is Creed so polarizing?
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

So much for the intelligent conversation.

Even if their pricing is just a ploy - and not based on the cost of the materials - it is certainly a successful one since there are plenty of people who are willing to pay. I wouldn't pay that kind of money for their frags - or for any other frag, for that matter - but I certainly won't begrudge them for getting people to pay that much (they're a business, after all), or begrudge those who think the price is worth it.
    Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a sleazy male stripper?
    Homer: Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    ItIt must be this one, which was auctioned off on ebay a while ago. Late 60s/early 70s, judging from the other stuff this guy was selling from the stock of his parents or so perfume store closed a long time ago:
    See what I mean, then? Where are the old bottles of Epicea and Ambre Cannelle? Stuff that supposedly came out in the 50's and 60's. Forget the dates when it was supposedly produced, can somebody produce a bottle of Orange Spice that was made before, say 1981? I hope someone can (because I like Creed), but it nags at me.

I seriously wonder. It's a manufacturer like any other, but it's a very odd minefield as well. Seems elements about it's sales life can't be discussed without it being defended from different elements. The result is very tawdry.

It can and will be discussed, however. It makes scents so it gets discussed here. I don't want members to get in the way of that, or to intimidate other members into holding back their thoughts, or make many threads into referendums on the house instead of discussions of the house's products or other elements.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Get off it. There are intelligent and thoughtful comments on this thread, and it's not cool to discourage that. Further, there are members who have specifically stated that they make comments and observations about the house's issues separate from likes and dislikes of their products, yet you continue to try to mock and squelch such. The house advertises as it advertises and thus gets comments and thoughts on that.
    Thanks, DustB, for the common sense approach you've taken. It shouldn't be up to one BN member to ruin a discussion because they don't like the topic. If another house took the same marketing tact we'd be talking about that company. For example, Serge Lutens has taken much criticism on this board because of their 'non-export' line of fragrances.

I am curious - and perhaps someone knows more than I - as to why Turin would get into the subject. Is he just reporting or did something happen? I notice he also pans nearly every single Bond No. 9 fragrance - none are higher than 4 stars and I think only 1 or 2 are even that high. Meanwhile, a lot of 5 star fragrances are Guerlain and Chanel, and even when he criticizes the Chanels he doesn't like he sometimes makes mention of their use of high quality materials.

Basically I find the whole book interesting on many levels.

i hate H.M. with all my guts...recently i happened to try Vanilla Extasy by Montale (niche?), which is an exact replica of the same..might be better thats it. but again, i hate it equally. tomorrow if Creed releases a scent with the same ingredients, i am still bound to hate it. and let me tell you, 90% of Bners would follow the above practice. i don't care if Burr thinks H.M. is one of the most beautifully crafted scent..or if LT gives it 7 stars or if monica belluci claims she gets orgasm whn she wears H.M .how does it matter? i really fail to understand such basic outcry towards advertisements and the snoberry.

with regards to Mike, i really fail to understand his obsession towards Creed..i mean with all due respect, give the brand a freaking break and try to guide people as opposed to defending it blindly. why isit so difficult to accept the fact that they do indeed use Royals and stars as a mean to show they are elite, there is a bit of snoberry involved, same is the case with Chanel and thousand of other brands which use some or the other way to show they are different and not for the masses.

For example, Serge Lutens has taken much criticism on this board because of their 'non-export' line of fragrances.
    I can rationalize the reason to a degree so. It may be nonsense but I tell myself "it's because the materials used aren't allowed in the US" so some crap like that. But really it's just silly to make certain fragrances exclusive and others not.

How come any book I've read have I seen these prestigious people mention Creed?

For example: Audrey Hepburn and Spring Flower.

I bought Spring Flower for my mother because of the PR's claim that it was made for Audrey Hepburn. (I did sample it first to make sure I liked it and to think if my mother would, too) My mother is an avid Audrey Hepburn fanatic. When she opened it she was speechless... in a bad way. I said it was a perfume created for Audrey Hepburn. She said she never heard of Creed but she knew that Givenchy made a perfume and her fashions for her.

Curious, I went upstairs to her library of 20 or so book on Audrey Hepburn and looked for Givenchy or Creed in the indexes. Givenchy was mentioned and I found a remarked about L'Interdit being worn exclusively by Hepburn on one of the movie sets.

No mention of Creed. No mention of Spring Flower.

No mention of Creed on the Hepburn's website for that matter.

The PR that I read (and can no longer find on Creed's official website) stated, "a perfume created for Audrey Hepburn" never does it say she wore it, liked it or even smelled it. Let a bitter taste in my mouth.

I like a few of Creed fragrances and I have nothing against how good they smell. But the way they present themselves is so cocky that it becomes irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Other than an average Creed, a genuine Rolex is still top quality, I believe.
    I wrote about mechanical watches for several years. Under the hood, Rolex is only of average quality.
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

I wrote about mechanical watches for several years. Under the hood, Rolex is only of average quality.
    Since you brought this up, I'm a watch enthusiast and was going to say the same thing... Rolex has the greatest brand recognition, and charges a super-premium price, but if I were going to spend Rolex money on a watch there are many brands I'd choose first (Audemars Piquet, Bell & Ross, or Hublot).

The analogy is apt.... Creed has perhaps the greatest recognition as a 'niche' brand (they even sell at costco.com!) and makes the most claims of celebrity association, which thus brings it so much attention.

I can rationalize the reason to a degree so. It may be nonsense but I tell myself "it's because the materials used aren't allowed in the US" so some crap like that. But really it's just silly to make certain fragrances exclusive and others not.

How come any book I've read have I seen these prestigious people mention Creed?

I bought Spring Flower for my mother because of the PR's claim that it was made for Audrey Hepburn. (I did sample it first to make sure I liked it and to think if my mother would, too) My mother is an avid Audrey Hepburn fanatic. When she opened it she was speechless... in a bad way. I said it was a perfume created for Audrey Hepburn. She said she never heard of Creed but she knew that Givenchy made a perfume and her fashions for her.

Curious, I went upstairs to her library of 20 or so book on Audrey Hepburn and looked for Givenchy or Creed in the indexes. Givenchy was mentioned and I found a remarked about L'Interdit being worn exclusively by Hepburn on one of the movie sets.

The PR that I read (and can no longer find on Creed's official website) stated, "a perfume created for Audrey Hepburn" never does it say she wore it, liked it or even smelled it. Let a bitter taste in my mouth.

I like a few of Creed fragrances and I have nothing against how good they smell. But the way they present themselves is so cocky that it becomes irritating.
    L'interdit wasn't commissioned by Audrey Hepburn. It was made for her (and later gifted to her) by Hubert Givenchy in 1957-58, who for some reason or the other was infactuated with her. During those years, Hepburn was at the height of her popularity. Spring Flower was commissioned by Hepburn herself from the house of Creed in 1980-1981. She was around 52 at that time, and way past her peak/popularity. Hence the mention of L'interdit in some of her bios while she was on movie sets (she used to wear Ivoire de Balmain before she was gifted L'interdit by Givenchy). Smell the recent demure reformulated L'interdit and you will see that Givenchy tried to relaunch it as a Spring Flower for the masses. The only concrete way to confirm these claims is to audit Givenchy and Creed records ...
    -

I don't want to divert from the main subject, and I certainly have no interest in adding to the image of Rolex watches. It's just that in Switzerland where people generally take a little pride in the quality of their watch making industry, Rolexes are considered as quality watches on one hand and a total bluff on the other. (Swiss usually wear other watches, also in the high end sector.) I am neither specialized nor a watch collector myself, but I have been told that a Rolex reaches good prices even on the second hand and collectors markets. In these sectors of the market quality seems to matter more than prestige, I thought. Can you tell me who the effective owners of the 'Rolex' brand are, and where watches are actually made and assembled, Carlos ?
    Last edited by narcus; 12th August 2008 at 02:43 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

creed topics...hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    The only concrete way to confirm these claims is to audit Givenchy and Creed records ...
    Then I don't believe anything you said.

[QUOTE=narcus;1281203. Can you tell me who the effective owners of the 'Rolex' brand are, and where watches are actually made and assembled ?[/QUOTE]

Rolex watches are ridiculously expensive in the US - regardless of whether sold at an authorized dealer, non-authorized dealer, or on the secondary market. The people who buy them are people with lots of money but little interest learning about high end watches. They know that Rolexes are status symbols and want them for that reason. Dealers tell customers that they take a year to build each one by hand in Switzerland, etc. This image as a status symbol is reinforced among younger people with references in rap songs. As I said before, people who are into high-end watches are aware of the many, many other brands of high-end watches better than Rolex.

Blog Entries

Rolex watches are ridiculously expensive in the US - regardless of whether sold at an authorized dealer, non-authorized dealer, or on the secondary market. The people who buy them are people with lots of money but little interest learning about high end watches. They know that Rolexes are status symbols and want them for that reason. Dealers tell customers that they take a year to build each one by hand in Switzerland, etc. This image as a status symbol is reinforced among younger people with references in rap songs. As I said before, people who are into high-end watches are aware of the many, many other brands of high-end watches better than Rolex.
    agreed. i have NEVER seen a Rolex which even remotely appealed to my tastes, however it's the NAME they're paying for...and the feeling of power when someone looks at their watch and sees the name "Rolex" on it...

I am curious - and perhaps someone knows more than I - as to why Turin would get into the subject. Is he just reporting or did something happen? I notice he also pans nearly every single Bond No. 9 fragrance - none are higher than 4 stars and I think only 1 or 2 are even that high. Meanwhile, a lot of 5 star fragrances are Guerlain and Chanel, and even when he criticizes the Chanels he doesn't like he sometimes makes mention of their use of high quality materials.

Basically I find the whole book interesting on many levels.
    Same here... Turin did all the Creed reviews and clearly has something against them as a whole. Sanchez did all the Bond reviews and has that same hatred for those. Oh well... it made them look very biased and unprofessional. I love all my 1 star Bonds and Creeds!

I must say... seeing banned under samplermike was the highlight of my day so far
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Same here... Turin did all the Creed reviews and clearly has something against them as a whole. Sanchez did all the Bond reviews and has that same hatred for those.
    Those statements do not stand up to the evidence. Creed received a four-star rating for Green Irish Tweed. All told, fifteen out of twenty-eight were rated three stars or better.

Bond, by the way, got a five-star rating and four four-star ratings. Fifteen out of thirty-two got three stars or better.

This is on par with one of the legendary French perfume houses, Caron, which got three stars or better in sixteen of thirty-seven scents.

Finally, some sensible quantitative statements instead of gut feelings.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Me either.

Nothing to get all emotional about, its Audrey freakin' Hepburn. What I wrote is my analysis pieced together by information gathered from Audrey Hepburns life timeline and the dates given by Creed and Givenchy. I don't have the resources to audit fragrance companies and neither do I care to - the quality of the juice alway more important to me, the rest are amusing/interesting facts to create juicy gossip and promotional crap.
    -

Curious, I went upstairs to her library of 20 or so book on Audrey Hepburn and looked for Givenchy or Creed in the indexes. Givenchy was mentioned and I found a remarked about L'Interdit being worn exclusively by Hepburn on one of the movie sets. No mention of Creed. No mention of Spring Flower.
    This makes a much greater point about trusting your sources. On the one hand, a biographer, someone who is fascinated and/or obsessed with Audrey Hepburn, who wants to accurately document every minute facet of her life, who is going to be compared with other Audrey Hepburn biographers, who has no interest in fragrance, only mentions Givenchy.

On the other hand, who mentions Creed? No one but Creed and its fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    Those statements do not stand up to the evidence. Creed received a four-star rating for Green Irish Tweed. All told, fifteen out of twenty-eight were rated three stars or better.

Bond, by the way, got a five-star rating and four four-star ratings. Fifteen out of thirty-two got three stars or better.

This is on par with one of the legendary French perfume houses, Caron, which got three stars or better in sixteen of thirty-seven scents.
    I see the point, but you can also look at it in the inverse. 3 Stars is 'adequate' and 2 stars is 'disappointing'. If 15/32 Bond products were 3 stars or better, then 17 fragrances - more than half of their line, is 'disappointing' or worse (1 star = awful). This seems pretty severe for a house that, IMHO, is a pretty good house. I'm not a fan of all Bond 9 fragrances, but I recognize the quality in the ones I don't like.

You can see the same thing from just earlier this year where Creed presented a new fragrance to the pope. A completely unsolicited gift that the pope will probably never smell.

http://www.community.basenotes.net/s...d.php?t=209039
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Can you tell me who the effective owners of the 'Rolex' brand are, and where watches are actually made and assembled, Carlos ?

Rolex is owned by the Wilsdorf Foundation. The watches are manufactured in Basel, if I recall correctly. They produce about a million watches per year.

I didn't mean to imply that they are bad watches, merely overpriced relative to the quality of the watchmaking. They are solid, just not art.
    Last edited by Carlos; 12th August 2008 at 08:11 PM.
    - W. Somerset Maugham

I see the point, but you can also look at it in the inverse. 3 Stars is 'adequate' and 2 stars is 'disappointing'. If 15/32 Bond products were 3 stars or better, then 17 fragrances - more than half of their line, is 'disappointing' or worse (1 star = awful). This seems pretty severe for a house that, IMHO, is a pretty good house. I'm not a fan of all Bond 9 fragrances, but I recognize the quality in the ones I don't like.
    Right. So Bond no 9 has 50% relative hits and 50% relative misses. So?
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Confused, clueless newbie question:
    Creeds seem to be about the same price per ounce ($76) as Serge Lutens ($82) and Ormonde Jayne ($64) (the last two being my personal favorite houses), and not much different from most other odd little brands, but people keep mentioning that they're crazy-expensive. Is this a relative thing, or a dollars thing?
    And, just because I have a not-terribly-nice sense of humor, here is the wikipedia page (apparently written by their marketing department) I found on Creed while trying to figure things out:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creed_(perfume)
    For those of you who don't know, anyone can change a wikipedia page, including yourselves. Although really, uh, 'biased' edits can theoretically get you blocked from further editing for a couple days.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Onychophora View Post
    Confused, clueless newbie question:
    Creeds seem to be about the same price per ounce ($76) as Serge Lutens ($82) and Ormonde Jayne ($64) (the last two being my personal favorite houses), and not much different from most other odd little brands, but people keep mentioning that they're crazy-expensive. Is this a relative thing, or a dollars thing?
    it's a relative thing.

when you buy a bottle of Lutens, you get a beautiful bottle, a unique scent with nothing else that really smells like it. I don't even like Lutens fragrances, BUT i can appreciate the art behind it...and the style, uniqueness.

with Creed, you get a tacky bottle, box, and logo...and a very average scent which generally does have a designer counterpart...most Creed scents are not very original...at least from my observations.

so the Creed seems expensive, while the others don't
    Last edited by everso; 12th August 2008 at 09:24 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Creed's claim of royalty and use of naturals (Turin content)

Quote Originally Posted by tmp00 View Post
    Creed is a line that never did much for me, but I don't find them overpriced. Some of the lines that are out now make Creed seem like a relative bargain
    Like Clive Christian. Talk about overpriced. I don't know how they could come up w/ a $700 Cologne.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I have just under 20 Creeds. I love the scents and I'm a big fan of the house style. However, I have one thing that makes me wonder about Creed's story: What's the oldest bottle of Creed that can be found floating around in circulation. People on here can find vintage bottles of the Guerlains etc, but does anyone have a bottle of Creed that was produced before say 1980? And if so, what kind of bottles did they come in?
    I am surprised that only one picture of a former, but not old, bottle showed up in reply to your question, Indie_Guy. Thank you, the_good_life, for that and for your summary and trustworthy details!

More questions to the (BN) think tank:

(1) Where are the bottles evidencing the existence of Creed perfumes since Royal English Leather (m!) *1780, Fleurs de Bulgarie, 1845, Santal Imperial (m!) 1850, Royal Scottish Lavender (m!) 1856, (Scottish lavender ??), Fantasia de Fleurs 1862, Bois de Cedrat 1875, and Vintage Tabarome (m!) 1875? I cannot believe that nobody knows of one Museum in England or France where such antiquities are exhibited.

(2) A minimum quantity of important French perfumes is being carefully stored and documented in the greatest monument perfumers ever had: the French Perfume Museum in Versailles. Now, I do not know which perfumes created by Creed are included there. But knowing Creeds interest to bolster their glorious fragrant history (if it's more than ficticious) I wouldn't really expect the Creed 'dynasty' to be so shy as to not let us know which of their perfumes are contained in that Versailles collection.

(3) Where are 200 years of Creed perfume history on Ebay? How can it be that thousand articles evidencing the Farina history (even that of the dubious Muelhens history) are known, are exhibited, or change hands in auctions, and zero pieces of evidence re Creed perfumes (before Olivier) are known to the public in Europe?

(4) What is so unique about the ‘infusion' method of making perfumes? And why has the huge French industry generally abandoned it? Sold in department stores all over the world and 'hand made' and based on all naturals from exotic islands ? I feel drawn into the darkness of alchemy. And I am addressed by Creed press as a non-thinking idiot - an insult, actually. No, Creed cannot possibly want to talk to an educated elite. What they write can really appeal to people who leave the thinking to others only.

(5) There is a widespread belief, that men wore the same perfumes as women if they wore perfumes at all ( before WW1 and in preceding centuries). At minimum five of the older Creed perfumes seem to contradict that belief. And I must say I used that myself as an argument before. By stating things from the past the way Creed still do they may not just have y of embellishing their family history (a private matter), they may be guilty of attempted falsification of perfume history. That's different and deserves to be criticized. Wiki on Creed Perfume, Aug 1, 08

(6) The BN directory is a great instrument and good source of information. BN gets applause from others for having this. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to review their own statements contained in Creed fragrance details, and delete the most obvious Creed propaganda, verify dates of release, and clean it from statements that Creed themselves do not seem to hang on to any longer. Example: Royal English Leather. "Basenotes says - This fragrance was enjoyed by the kings of England, George III and George V". (If that is a proven fact I've said nothing, of course!)

ps:
    Rolex is owned by the Wilsdorf Foundation. The watches are manufactured in Basel, if I recall correctly. They produce about a million watches per year..
    Thank you Carlos. I have a lower production number, but even at 2000 watches per workday, we must think in terms of an industrial production rather than true watch manufacturing. (FYI, what's produced in Switzerland is actually made in Biel. Basel has no watch industry but is home of international fairs for watches and jewellery. As was probably done in the case with Creed, the Wiki article on Rolex may have been written under Rolex' press guidance. It's still worth reading. At least they contributed to innovations in that industry.
    Last edited by narcus; 14th August 2008 at 04:35 AM.

I am really surprised that only one picture of a former, but not old, bottle showed up in reply to your question, Indie_Guy. Thank you, the_good_life, for that and for your summary of reliable details!

More questions to the BN think tank:

(1) Where are the bottles evidencing the existence of Creed perfumes since Royal English Leather (m!) *1780, Fleurs de Bulgarie, 1845, Santal Imperial (m!) 1850, Royal Scottish Lavender (m!) 1856, (Scottish lavender ??), Fantasia de Fleurs 1862, Bois de Cedrat 1875, and Vintage Tabarome (m!) 1875? I cannot believe that nobody knows of one Museum in England or France where such antiquities are exhibited.

(2) A minimum quantity of important French perfumes is being carefully stored and documented in the greatest monument perfumers ever had: the French Perfume Museum in Versailles. Now, I do not know which perfumes created by Creed are included there. But knowing Creeds interest to bolster glorious fragrant history, I wouldn't really expect the Creed 'dynasty' to be so shy as to not let us know which of their perfumes are contained in that Versailles collection.

(3) Where are 200 years of Creed perfume history on Ebay? How can it be that thousand articles evidencing the Farina history (even that of the dubious Muelhens history) are known, are exhibited, or change hands in auctions, and zero pieces of evidence re Creed perfumes (before Olivier) are known to the publicb in Europe?

(4) What is so unique about the ‘infusion method’ of making perfumes? And why does the huge league of perfumers in the world not take advantage of it? Do Creed have the process patented to themselves? I feel drawn into the darkness alchemy.

Thank you Carlos. I have a lower production number, but even at 2000 watches per workday, we must think in terms of an industrial production rather than true watch manufacturing. (FYI, what's produced in Switzerland is actually made in Biel. Basel has no watch industry but is home of international fairs for watches and jewellery. As was probably done in the case with Creed, the Wiki article on Rolex may have been written under Rolex' press guidance. It's still worth reading. At least they contributed to innovations in that industry.
    Let's assume for a moment that the Creed perfume history is not an entire (1968 LSD induced) fabrication by a wealthy hippie named Olivier Creed

(1) It would seem Creed never publicly sold or advertised perfumes, contrary to Farina, Guerlain etc. Purely a minor bespoke service complementing their offer of leather & riding goods and textiles. Of course isolated bottles would perhaps have survived, but I doubt anyone has ever cared. Cred probably would for marketing purposes, but there simply isn't enough to show off with. Creed perfumes, so they existed, were culturally irrelevant and did not enjoy particualr contemporary reputation. Otherwise they would have mentioned in passing in diaries, correspondence, newspapers etc. and they are not.

(2) Can somebody call and find out? I doubt any are there.

(3) see (1)

(4) As far as I can see, the newer Creed blurbs no longer refer to this, or am I wrong? I believe the technique is still used by natural perfumers who make their own perfume oils? Costly, time consuming, less effective than other methods, no idea whether the results are better. Anyhow, perhaps Creed does this for a select amount of products used in a few perfumes. Though I really would be interested in touring their production facilities. Is there a millionare among us whop could get himself invited? We do know they use synthetics, and probably also the available state of the art technology, these days.
    My Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    I must say... seeing banned under samplermike was the highlight of my day so far
    IMO Samplermike being banned is unfortunate for although he was wildly fanatical and blinded by the Creed propoganda machine he always brought his unique one sided spark and zest into posts he was involved with.

I for one always looked forward to the "sh**s and giggles" that his posts brought to the forum and his zealous, fanatical unfaltering faith in all things Creed.

Erwin Cr..., er I mean Mike, will be sincerely missed
    Last edited by Diverdown; 13th August 2008 at 01:41 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diverdown View Post
    IMO Samplermike being banned is unfortunate for although he was wildly fanatical and blinded by the Creed propoganda machine he always brought his unique one sided spark and zest into posts he was involved with.

I for one always looked forward to the "sh**s and giggles" that his posts brought to the forum and his zealous, fanatical unfaltering faith in all things Creed.

Erwin Cr..., er I mean Mike, will be sincerely missed
    WOO HOO! heads have rolled!

he was waaaaaaaay too one dimensional. i don't mind someone loving a brand of perfume, but he made it a point to basically advertise one brand in EVERY and ANY thread----related or unrelated to Creed....that was just over the top IMO.

the pre-1990s Creeds are some of my favorites in my wardrobe... I say this as a means of proving my status as a non-hater, haha... but now this has raised some genuine interest here.

I would love to see the old bottles, just to see what they looked like... maybe even get a sense if some of my favorites had earlier, wildly different incarnations.

Is it possible that, much like the pope's recent gift, all of those celeb/ royalty affiliations were unsolicited freebies from the Creeds? Doesn't necessarily mean they were sold in stores or even worn by the recipients....

Also, I was wondering... since Luca Turin was a member of this forum once, is it possible he would know a bit more of the factual history? Seems like he would at least know of someone who would, if not.

As far as Creed purpling their own history... hell, I don't care. It isn't too much different from Ralph Lifshitz re-inventing the notion of the American WASPy preppy into the gilded personna that is Ralph Lauren. Make whatever story you wish to sell an image along with your goods. As long as the goods are something I want to buy, I will buy them. When I was in just the type of high school that RL tries to re-imagine as a brand, very few of us looked like the denizens of his fantasies. If it makes people feel better about their well-spent ducats to buy into an aura of "other," then go for it. It's your cash, do with it what you will!

With regards to Creed history though... good on ya, the_good_life et al... I love reading such theses as these!