Code of Conduct

Thread: Best bergamot?

Default Best bergamot?

Moving upwards from Axe Proximity Bergamot, what are the best of the bergamot centered fragrances?
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Best bergamot?

LOL. The direction "up" need not be specified.

I don't know many, but I know a good one. The Different Company Bergamote, also sometimes known as Divine Bergamote... (at least, many people call it that. Not sure if the new one without "Divine" is a reformulation or not...) Smells great. Technically a unisex, it's just good on everybody. My wife bottled on it, so I steal as much as I want! But expensive. Just a warning.

Another frag that I love is Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne (last word important - the plain Sport is another fragrance with spice instead of wood). A citrus mix with unmistakable bergamot. This scent is scoffed at by the major critics, but if you wear this while working out, you will make the people around you very happy. Smells like somebody replaced the air at the indoor track with sea breeze from the area next to a lemonade stand and a fruit seller. Somebody at Chanel said "Look - just make a sport frag that actually smells nice and classy at the same time, and screw the critics. Are we done here? Let's do lunch.". This is it. Unquestionably a move up from Axe, but not so far or so fast that you get niche altitude sickness.

Heh, well I almost said "up and away" but I didn't want to be mean.
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Carlos check out this thread T. Rex posted in April: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=209063

Personally, I've found many of the scents by Guerlain have been masterfully blended with bergamot (Jicky, Habit Rouge, Shalimar, Vetiver, etc...). Bergamot all by itself is quite boring to my nose. But these scents I love, simply because the bergamot is used quite effectively.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 11th August 2008 at 09:26 PM.

Nearly all the old Guerlains contain beramot in their top notes.
    All the Eaux de cologne as well, bergamot is part of the formula.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Post Thanks / Like

For a younger man: Perry Ellis 360 Degrees Red.

For a more mature image: Habit Rouge/Guerlain.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    Moving upwards from Axe Proximity Bergamot, what are the best of the bergamot centered fragrances?
    What a great line to start a thread!

Well, I am a big fan of Shalimar Light, which is a lot less cakey than the original, that said, it means it has tons less vanilla in it.
    I would also recommend what RedneckP said: AlllureHSC, it's a very nice bergamot scent.
    another good one?
    Bergamot by Ava luxe or Divine Bergamot by the Different Company

I think that The Different Company's Divine Bergamote (alternatively known as Bergamote without the "Divine") is a very distinctive, extremely well-done fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Carlos check out this thread T. Rex posted in April: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=209063

Personally, I've found many of the scents by Guerlain have been masterfully blended with bergamot (Jicky, Habit Rouge, Shalimar, Vetiver, etc...). Bergamot all by itself is quite boring to my nose. But these scents I love, simply because the bergamot is used quite effectively.
    What a great thread! I think I added one blind buy and three or four must-tests.

Post Thanks / Like

TDCs Divine Bergamot is pretty good. I know its unreleated but heck, skip it and go for TDC Bois d'Iris instead!
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    I think that The Different Company's Divine Bergamote (alternatively known as Bergamote without the "Divine") is a very distinctive, extremely well-done fragrance.
    You think? I have some on the back of one hand right now trying to get a fix on it. It could just be that it's out of a sample vial and that I didn't use very much, but really, it seems a little minimalist to me. Like most of Ellena's stuff, it kind of makes me want to launch into some queeny old Peggy Lee song, "Is THAT all there iiiiiiiiiiiiiis?"

Quote Originally Posted by T. Rex, Esq. View Post
    You think? I have some on the back of one hand right now trying to get a fix on it. It could just be that it's out of a sample vial and that I didn't use very much, but really, it seems a little minimalist to me. Like most of Ellena's stuff, it kind of makes me want to launch into some queeny old Peggy Lee song, "Is THAT all there iiiiiiiiiiiiiis?"
    Chuckle! Well, it may not be for everyone. My husband shrugs his shoulders at it, but it's one of my top faves. There's a part of me that sometimes craves minimalism (I'm learning that I like a lot of Ellena's fragrances). There's a ginger note in Bergamote that I think rounds out its already lush, rich citrus aspect. And I'm not wild about most citrus - most being too sharp to my nose. I do think this is squarely a unisex fragrance. Maybe apply a bit more generously before rejecting? Here are the notes that Luckyscent lists: bergamot (70% of natural bergamot), ginger, orange blossom, leaf green, rhubarb (wood), musk.

Chuckle! Well, it may not be for everyone. My husband shrugs his shoulders at it, but it's one of my top faves. There's a part of me that sometimes craves minimalism (I'm learning that I like a lot of Ellena's fragrances). There's a ginger note in Bergamote that I think rounds out its already lush, rich citrus aspect. And I'm not wild about most citrus - most being too sharp to my nose. I do think this is squarely a unisex fragrance. Maybe apply a bit more generously before rejecting? Here are the notes that Luckyscent lists: bergamot (70% of natural bergamot), ginger, orange blossom, leaf green, rhubarb (wood), musk.
    I see your point, definitely, but even in the thirty or so minutes since I applied it to the back of my hand, it has all but disappeared. And that's what drives me nuts about Ellena. They say his "transparent, shimmering accords" are like a "nouvelle cuisine" of perfumery.

If this is nouvelle cuisine, can I get a plate of pork chops, please?

Extra gravy.

LOL - we are eating late tonight here in CA and you're making me drool. I think I'll ask husband to switch out the seafood salad for your suggestion. Off to the table...drip drip.

I see your point, definitely, but even in the thirty or so minutes since I applied it to the back of my hand, it has all but disappeared. And that's what drives me nuts about Ellena. They say his "transparent, shimmering accords" are like a "nouvelle cuisine" of perfumery.

Extra gravy.
    Good point, but since the Nouvelle cuisine was offed a while ago, i was thinking the shimmering accords go more with the Techno-Emotional cuisine...(Adrià and Co.)

The ginger note is in Sicile lemon not bergamot.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    The ginger note is in Sicile lemon not bergamot.
    Good evening, Night (that was fun to say!). I wonder if we're talking about two different things. I was referring to this fragrance:

http://www.thedifferentcompany.com/S..._61/index.html

If Sicile lemon has ginger, I'd love to try it as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Count me in too as a fan of The Different Company Bergamote. The other worth mentioning is Le Labo Bergamote 22.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Extra gravy.
    You got it. Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne. I just did a full test of my wife's bottle of Bergamote today (meaning I swiped it and took it to work, as I always do with my SotD). I can tell you for sure that (1) AHSC has an almost identical main (I'm calling it bergamot) note in sillage and in whiffs off the old chest, (2) it's beefier, although perhaps not "porky", and (3) longevity is way better.

I think that there is a touch more synthetic smell in AHSC than in the Ellena juice, but it's not bad - just a very light shift of the overall citrus, with the main note undisturbed and stronger. It's no wonder my wife likes Bergamote on her, and AHSC on me.

When we hit the road for our next summer trip, I'm packing AHSC. If my wife wants to bring Bergamote - fine. She can have the little glob of French octopus salad on the big plate. I'm with you - I'm having country fried steak and a pile of mashed taters. <Brrrp>. Mmmmm.

PS - AHSC is the one that I bought for 1-star scent sync day while traveling. The regular Sport was a rec by acceptfacts. There's a slight difference in the cologne that I preferred, so I went with that. Both had one star. Apart from the single star, Turin's assessment of the two scents seemed quite accurate. The regular sport seems to have a sharper, spicier note that I didn't like as much as the wood in AHSC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    TDCs Divine Bergamot is pretty good. I know its unreleated but heck, skip it and go for TDC Bois d'Iris instead!
    LMAO and 100% agreement! I just love that scent. The first time I put it on, my wife and son were aghast.

"It smells O-L-D!"

"Yeah, it smells like an old lady."

Well, the old gal has a damn good bottle of whiskey, and I'd rather be drinkin' with Granny!

Bois d'Iris