Code of Conduct

Question looking for a signature scent

Hi,

I'm new to this site as well as to the world of fragrances and I find both exaggerating and confusing at the same time. Great page by the way, and most of you seem to be so experienced in fragrancesÖ
    Well, Iím looking for kind of my signature scent and hope you might be able to help me. So you might need some further information:
    Iím a twenty-six year old woman and never owned a proper scent of myself (just till right now I got me some samples at Ebay andÖ). Always mostly wore what my mother did or was given as a present: Nature and Neblina by Yves-Rocher so far, the latter I still like, Wish by Chopard, which I find a little to sweet and fruity by now, and for a short time Bogner Woman (?) by Bogner, which I discovered by myself but absolutely couldnít stand anymore after half of the bottle. Finally gave it away and am not regretting.
    I think, itís the mix of vanilla, amber, musk and tabac that worked out wrong for me, but Iím absolutely not sure about it, because Iím at the very beginning of olfactorily exploring the different ingredients/notes of scents.
    Coming to the point: Iíd like to find a quite seductive scent matching with my personality. Iím a little on the old-fashioned side of style and likes. To give you an idea: Iíve been starting as a kid to watch the old movies, love the Lauren-Bacall-roles and the femme-fatales-thing. On the other hand, I really love Angelina Jolie in all of her films. Though sheís the most seductive and just incredibly sexy in Original Sin, so itís back to the old-fashioned side I go, but modernised, if you know, what I mean.

Well, considering that, I went to some perfumeries and asked the sales assistants for something not to floral (donít like to smell like a bouquet of flowers, but ended up with a little bottle of Nahema, EdP, well, there was a discount on it), maybe oriental, sweet but not to sweet, just a little powdery, and not too much vanilla in it (uh, well, fell in love with Organza Indecence by Givenchy, got a sample [and, to be honest, then a big bottle] of the EdP, not the actual EdT).

Iíve been trying some classics, so far the Guerlains and some Givenchys. I wasnít fond of anything else from the Givenchy range than the before mentioned Organza Indecence (I didnít really like at first), but Iíve read most of the old fragrances have been reformulated anyway.
    Concerning the Guerlains: I somehow like LíHeure bleue and Mitsouko, but they smell a little too old-fashioned and powdery to me. Iím still testing Vol de Nuit (unfortunately there are no samples available on Ebay, so I have to keep running to the Guerlain counter), that I like somehow too, but for me, thereís something weird in it. Maybe itís a little too masculine?

The rest of the old Guerlains werenít mine (Chamade, AprŤs LíOndťe etc.), not bad of course, but just not mine.
    For the newer ones: I like Samsara, but do not love it, and Iím not fond of líInstant; líInstant magic is far too sweet and has (I guess) too much vanilla in it for my taste.

Ah, and Iíve tried some Chanels and Diors, but didnít like them.

Iíve tested some new fragrances too, of course, the so-said-seductive-register, Opium etc., but didnít like them at all. I must say that I canít stand modern fragrances that do not fade or develop at all and stay on you skin and clothes for days.

I had a read-through and looked for femme-fatales-fragrance-suggestions in the forum, but as it seems, they are mostly associated with leathery, musky, dirty, androgyne or even a little masculine fragrances. Thatís just not really my taste and what Iím looking for.
    Though Iíd like a sexy, a little unadapted, provocative and outstanding fragrance, but it should be at the top of pure femininity.

Uh, that posting has become quite longer than I planned. Well, I hope, you have some suggestions for me! Thanks a lot!

Tigresse

Smile Re: looking for a signature scent

Welcome,

I am not that knowledgable about Feminine fragraces but I think that you are doing the right thing by testing alot. Don't be shy about going back to the SA for more samples. That is why the perfumers put them out there.

It sounds like you like old fashioned but not too old fashioned. There is a woman at work who wears something called Nude. Works really nice for her. It reminds me of lace curtins made by hand with loving care. Something someone put their heart into. I see antiques but tastefully blended with the modern. Slightly sweet like the angelic smile of a young girl on a spring day. But mature like a woman who knows she is a woman and knows what she wants. I imagine her as being someone not afraid to be daring but also a bit reserved.

Don't worry. You will find that signiture scent. Even if you don't it will be fun looking. I know women like buying new things but I suspect they like shopping more because its like a hunt. Sometimes it is more fun looking than actually aquiring.

The ladies here can advise you more thoughtfully than I can and they are very helpful.

I myself have been trying Habanita and am enjoying it. Somewhat sweet vanilla but has an animalic undertone that I like and it doesn't overpower. Give Bandit and Jicky a try too

Most of all have fun

Best to you

Rick
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Smile Re: looking for a signature scent

If you don't mind spending..Try the queen of seduction ---Frederick Malle-Musc Ravageur

OR Give Chanel no 5 a whirl!!
    Last edited by deck89; 11th August 2008 at 11:33 PM.

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Default Re: looking for a signature scent

For pure femininity try L'Artisan's Tubereuse. This is an absolutely beautiful fragrance. The reviews here on BN don't do it justice. Serge Lutens A la Nuit and Sarassins are also very feminine jasmine based creations with Sarassins being a little "darker" and animalic.
    Last edited by surreality; 12th August 2008 at 04:18 AM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by deck89 View Post
    If you don't mind spending..Try the queen of seduction ---Frederick Malle-Musc Ravageur

OR Give Chanel no 5 a whirl!!
    If you find Vol de Nuit a little too masculine you'll probably feel the same way about Musc Ravageur.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Thanks a lot for your suggestions!

What I should have mentionend: I'm living in Germany, Berlin, so I might have problems to find all the brands in the boutiques.

As for the suggestions:
    Rick, I didn't find "Nude" on this page; can you tell me whom it's from? I've been thinking about Bandit and Habanita too, but they seem to be a lot on the leathery and musky side, don't they? Though they sound very interesting; I'll have a look for them, if I can find them anywhere.
    Ah, and I've already tried Jicky but didn't like it - smelled just like Lavender to me, old Lavender, which reminded me of my ancient wardrobe.

Unfortunately, I'm not very fond of jasmine, and I do not like Chanel No 5, but I'll try to find Tubťreuse somewhere.

Thanks and best regards

Tigresse

Quote Originally Posted by Tigresse View Post
    Thanks a lot for your suggestions!

What I should have mentionend: I'm living in Germany, Berlin, so I might have problems to find all the brands in the boutiques.

As for the suggestions:
    Rick, I didn't find "Nude" on this page; can you tell me whom it's from? I've been thinking about Bandit and Habanita too, but they seem to be a lot on the leathery and musky side, don't they? Though they sound very interesting; I'll have a look for them, if I can find them anywhere.
    Ah, and I've already tried Jicky but didn't like it - smelled just like Lavender to me, old Lavender, which reminded me of my ancient wardrobe.

Unfortunately, I'm not very fond of jasmine, and I do not like Chanel No 5, but I'll try to find Tubťreuse somewhere.

Thanks and best regards

Tigresse
    You can find L'Artisan Tuberuese and most of the other fragrances suggested at http://www.ausliebezumduft.de

Thanks!

Hi everybody,

I did some sniffing today. Went back to the Guerlain counter for Vol du Nuit: I still like it somehow, but there still is something in it not smelling especially good to me.

Serge Lutens A la Nuit ist beautiful, but it clearly is a jasmine based scent, so that bothers me a little.

Haven't found the other suggested scents yet but smelled some other newer woman scents I really didn't like. Well, I'm keeping on!

I must confess, I'm really tented to buy vintage stuff at Ebay, after all the great things I've read on this page, but I really hope I can stop myself before I spend money I don't have (well, I'm a woman, needing other things like clothes too, and maybe some books for university ) and get a broken heart by meeting something that isn't regularly available anymore. So is there anyone to stop me?

Best regards

Tigresse

To be blunt, i think looking for a signature scent so early in the game is very very tough; take some time try ALOT of fragrances over time and develop your tastes so that you know what is out there and how you like it and how it works with your body chemistry. Be patient it'll come.

Well, then let's not call it a signature scent but something that really fits me. Hard enough!

if you do it right, then, yes, it will be a hard task my friend!

Hi,

I did some testing and found out - surprisingly - that I love roses! Well, I said at first, I don't like to smell like a bunch of flowers, but well, a rose is a rose is a rose - isn't it?
    Nahema brought me by some link in a review on this page to a review called "six dark roses for femme fatale" in another blog. Well, the reviews tempted me, sounded just like what I want, and so I bought a mini of l'arte di gucci on Ebay.
    I like it very much, but I'm desperately trying to figure out what the smell reminds me off. I seem to know it - and it's not the rose, but the whole mix, though I'm quite sure, I never smelled this perfume before.

Anyway, as for my new question: I read some reviews that compared "soir de lune" by Sisley to "l'arte", so I got interested in it. But: other reviews compared it with "l'eau du soir" which I cannot stand. So are they really similar? (I didn't found it in stores yet and don't want to buy another mini on Ebay I might regret have bought.)

Thanks a lot and best regards

Tigresse

Le Labo Rose 31 is considered unisex, and I think it'd be very sexy on a confident woman. It's not a pure rose, but has a bit of dry cedar underneath it. It's very soft and sems to say "notice me" in a subtle way.
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk

If you have come around on roses, try Lutens' Sa Majeste la Rose.
    Last edited by Carlos; 29th August 2008 at 08:09 PM.
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

Dependent

My 2 fave female scents to that are Hermes Hiris (excellent job on iris) and Ferragamo by salvatore F.

In fact ive worn Hiris and had both male and female friends tell me that it smells great on a guy, tho its genetically a female scent.