Code of Conduct

Default "STAY WITH ME....", Why some scents last a long time and some vanish after 10 minutes

Is it the quality and/or relative quantity of base note ingredients like amber, sandalwood, musk vanilla etc, or it depends on the skills of the perfumer.. or is it just by chance?!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title inspired by Rod Stewart's song
    Last edited by afraafra; 12th August 2008 at 02:50 PM.

Default Re: "STAY WITH ME....", Why some scents last a long time and some vanish after 10 min

Antaeus Chanel has legendary staying power and its base notes are: patchouli, castoreum, labdanum, and oak moss., so does Egoiste with base notes of sandalwood, vanilla and ambrette seeds. What is the link?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "STAY WITH ME....", Why some scents last a long time and some vanish after 10 min

I think it has to do sometimes with the ingredients- citrus for instance isn't very stable and evaporates quickly while patch stays forever.

Post Thanks / Like

Id say ingredients, primarily volatility of the oils. If stuff evaporates faster its going to have more sillage but it'll be gone in a short time.

Some things disobey this rule though, like Kouros.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by afraafra View Post
    Is it the quality and/or relative quantity of base note ingredients like amber, sandalwood, musk
    Non-technical explanation: Yes.

Technical explanation:
    Large molecules ("base notes") are heavier and have to "accumulate more energy" (literally: warm up) before they can evaporate. This is a-Santalol (from Sandalwood), and it's about as big as a molecule can be and still evaporate fast enough to have a scent:

This is Limonene (from citrus--relative scale's a bit off, it's smaller than this):

The molecules in perfume also tend to stick to each other, much better than they stick to skin, and if smaller/lighter molecules stick to heavier ones, they tend to "let go"/evaporate more slowly than they would otherwise. (This doesn't work well when they're diluted, because there are fewer molecules close enough to stick together--which is why an EDT often lasts 1/2 as long as an EDP, even if you spray on twice as much.)
    So, if a perfume has larger molecules, and isn't too diluted, it will last longer. The trouble is large molecules are more expensive to synthesize (it takes a lot more steps than for smaller ones) and even more expensive to get from natural sources, so manufacturers tend to skimp.
    Last edited by Onychophora; 12th August 2008 at 03:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Love the pics, Ony!

Quote Originally Posted by Onychophora View Post
    Non-technical explanation: Yes.

Technical explanation:
    Large molecules ("base notes") are heavier and have to "accumulate more energy" (literally: warm up) before they can evaporate. This is a-Santalol (from Sandalwood), and it's about as big as a molecule can be and still evaporate fast enough to have a scent:
    The molecules in perfume also tend to stick to each other, much better than they stick to skin, and if smaller/lighter molecules stick to heavier ones, they tend to "let go"/evaporate more slowly than they would otherwise. (This doesn't work well when they're diluted, because there are fewer molecules close enough to stick together--which is why an EDT often lasts 1/2 as long as an EDP, even if you spray on twice as much.)
    So, if a perfume has larger molecules, and isn't too diluted, it will last longer. The trouble is large molecules are more expensive to synthesize (it takes a lot more steps than for smaller ones) and even more expensive to get from natural sources, so manufacturers tend to skimp.

Great explanation, so if a perfumer will put in say 5% sandalwood instead of 10% longevity suffers accordingly
    Last edited by afraafra; 12th August 2008 at 06:36 AM.

Simple, Elven Magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Great explanation, so if a perfumer will puts in say 5% sandalwood instead of 10% and longevity suffers accordingly
    Definitely, and the temptation to do that sort of thing can be pretty strong. Even synthetic sandalwood (Javanol) is very expensive--$400/kilo--because it's complicated to manufacture. The most common way of cutting costs, especially with men's scents, seems to be just to dilute them to death. Hermes EDT-only scents come to mind--high quality ingredients, diluted to the point they won't last an hour.

Yeah but I am not buying it. Some scent which are told to be heavy ... aka Angel last about an hour on me and then fade with not sillage or substance on my skin.

How can that be? Please don't say dry skin or ph stuff because other scent such as HM, Jaipar, Joop, Egoiste...etc have no problem.

Plesae explain this??????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Yeah but I am not buying it. Some scent which are told to be heavy ... aka Angel last about an hour on me and then fade with not sillage or substance on my skin.

How can that be? Please don't say dry skin or ph stuff because other scent such as HM, Jaipar, Joop, Egoiste...etc have no problem.

Plesae explain this??????
    Have you gotten a second opinion on the scent fading, from someone who hasn't been right next to you? It's pretty common for the nose to give up after smelling the same thing for a while, and Angel can send it whimpering into a corner.

I wonder if using a moisturiser on the skin would increase longevity (and probably decrease sillage).
    Creating a shelter for the lighter molecules evaporating too quickly..

Oh yeah, I was just going ot ask this very question. Some Frangraces such as Kenneth Cole's reaction evaporate after ten minutes.
    Last edited by Blowe46; 12th August 2008 at 03:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if using a moisturiser on the skin would increase longevity (and probably decrease sillage).
    Creating a shelter for the lighter molecules evaporating too quickly..
    It's supposed to--I think I remember reading that in "The Perfect Scent."

Some very insightful info Onychohora.
    I think also we can say presence of Sandalwood, incense and Myrhh lead to better longevity, probably these have the biggest molecules?

Post Thanks / Like

I think also we can say presence of Sandalwood, incense and Myrhh lead to better longevity, probably these have the biggest molecules?
    Yes. Also animalic notes (Civet, Castoreum, natural/some artificial Musks, Ambergris/some synthetic ambers) are probably THE most long-lived base notes, followed by resins (Labdanum, Myrhh, Incense), most "wood" notes (Aoud, Cedar, etc), Oakmoss, and Orris/Iris (which would be a wonderful base note if it wasn't generally diluted so much).
    I've also heard of things like patchouli and vetiver being base notes, though to me they only seem longlived compared to things like citrus and some florals--I'd consider them more middle notes, though plenty of people would disagree.
    There's probably some basenotes I'm forgetting here.