Code of Conduct

Default Need to spend the paycheck: Best non niche dry herbal fragrance?

Title says it all. I've got a couple of scents I already have budgeted in for purchase (Eau Sauvage, Third Man) and I'm in the market for a dry herbal designer fragrance, or niche if I can get it under 100 dollars. Thoughts?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Need to spend the paycheck: Best non niche dry herbal fragrance?

Aramis 900
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Quote Originally Posted by mudassir View Post
    Aramis 900
    My first thought as well!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I was looking into 9000 but the reviews said that it had a strong floral elements, which is something I'd want to minimize with a dry herbal.

you won't need to spend your paycheck if you go to Marshalls and buy Azzaro Pour Homme It's a lovely dry herbal lavender/anise scent. I bought it there for $19.99
    Last edited by nthny; 12th August 2008 at 05:02 AM.

This thread should help: Aramis 900
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 12th August 2008 at 05:08 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Hmmm I will have to look into Aramis 9000 but the for other reasons than seeking an herbal. I do like a masculine rose and that seems like it will fit the bill.

Blog Entries

You might want to give Maitre Perfumeur's Grain de Plaisir a shot. Its not a bone dry herbal though. I would still give 900 a couple of wearings before looking for something else! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by shalashaska View Post
    I was looking into 9000 but the reviews said that it had a strong floral elements, which is something I'd want to minimize with a dry herbal.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

The Aramis would be a good choice but the first one that came to mind here was Yatagan. It would certainly meet your quest for 'dry' and it's certainly aromatic trending toward herbal. If you can find a bottle with a black cap on it, so much the better. A good one that is a little harder to come by is Sud Est by Romeo Gigli. Also dry, it's an interesting herbal floral mix that smells a lot more than it costs.

I think I have to play the Sisley Eau de Campagne card again here

Basenotes Institution

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer was my first choice, but then I realized you need something below $100.

So...what about Spezie by Lorenzo Villoresi? Dry as a bone, extremely herbal and retails for $75 (at Lafco NY).
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 12th August 2008 at 03:08 PM.

I would recommend Yatagan as well, though of course it is an acquired taste.

Another great one, as dry herbal as it gets, and more wearable than Yatagan, perhaps, is Romeo Gigli Sud-Est, which is discontinued but frequently pops up at ebay. I got it for a lot less than $100.

Another discontinued great is Phileas by Nina Rici, a kinder, gentler Yatagan.

Cheap, but excellent: Bogart (the original 1975 scent) by Jacques Bogart - herbal-leather, really worth a try if you like classic men's perfumes.

If you like it green & with lavender, you might want to check out Trumper's Wild Fern or Penhaligon's English Fern (or, more pricey, Villoresi's Yerbamate)
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Dry herbal? Inexpensive? How bout the one and only POLO...

Off-Scenter

Yatagan. Period.

OK, maybe Azzaro if Yatagan is just too scary for you...
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 12th August 2008 at 04:16 PM.

Good recommendations so far. I would also recommend the following non-niche:

Montana Pour Homme (red box) reminds one of Caron's Third Man but it's spicy and dry; pungent.
    Eau Sauvage Extreme
    Yatagan
    Aramis Devin
    Aramis 900 but not so dry

Actually, I find 900 to feel very wet with its slippery, rose and aldehyde accord. If you want to have a natural smelling, dry herbal you couldn't do any better than Aramis Tuscany. A staple for an everyman classics shelf, sitting very proudly next to Azzaro pour Homme and Yatagan.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 12th August 2008 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer was my first choice, but then I realized you need something below $100.

So...what about Spezie by Lorenzo Villoresi? Dry as a bone, extremely herbal and retails for $75 (at Lafco NY).
    I'm very interested in LV scents but the Lafco website has all bottles at 120. Am I missing something?