Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default blind purchase -- Creed Silver Mountain water

due to the hype, I caved and bought this one from fragrancenet. given all the expectation, am I going to be disappointed?

Default Re: blind purchase -- Creed Silver Mountain water

Yes.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Blog Entries

Yes.

No.

Maybe.

Maybe.

Probably.
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

hahah. I was hoping it wouldn't be one of those typical ocean fragrances.

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

I was rather disappointed with it when I tried it, but the 62 positive to 10 negative reviews suggests you may be pleasantly surprised. Let's hope so!
    Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a sleazy male stripper?
    Homer: Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?

now i'm mixed. it's not a cheap cologne either. how is its longevity?

Blog Entries

well the good thing is...if/when you find out you don't like it, you can EASILY unload it onto one of those weird little Creed fanboys floating round here

Smile Re: blind purchase -- Creed Silver Mountain water

Creed SMW is a fantastic scent..If it wasn't for the poor longevity.. I would have it in my collection..

I will stick with my Creed Orange Spice..

IMO.. I find Bond no 9 Riverside Drive to be a longer lasting scent on the theme of Creed SMW!

Heavenly drydown!!! (Samples are on Ebay all the time)
    Last edited by deck89; 12th August 2008 at 03:19 PM.

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    well Creed is good...
    I'm watching you!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    I'm watching you!

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    Gotta keep you on our side!

Well, depends on what all you like, and if you have smelled other Creeds. I don't like it as well as GIT or MI, and I agree, the longevity is lesser than those two, so to me, yes, I would be disappointed. Depends on what you like

Depends on how potent that ink note is in your bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Blowe46 View Post
    due to the hype, I caved and bought this one from fragrancenet. given all the expectation, am I going to be disappointed?
    just like others have confirmed that you will be Disappointed, let me swim against the tide and say you wont. no scent is so bad that one will get so disappointed, especially this one. i have a 2005 lot and it stays 8-10 hours on me. on fabric it carried very well over to the next day. i must say you have chosen one of the safest buy from the creed line.

oh good, thanks. I was a bit worried about that. However, does it smell like a lot of the citrus stuff?

I don't normally apply cologne on fabric, where do you apply it? one spray on the shirt?

.... and never forget: David Bowie is wearing it, or at least has worn it for ages.

Hi David! :wave:
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Blowe46, what inspired you to get SMW instead of say GIT, MI or Himalaya? What was the deciding factor based on the reviews you've read? Is it because it doesn't have a cheaper "copy" out there?

Quote Originally Posted by dr.creed View Post
    .... and never forget: David Bowie is wearing it, or at least has worn it for ages.

how do you know this?

I find the longevity to be good on my skin. like a review in a major mag said (some years ago and introduced me to the line) sometimes less is more!

that's true. I'd rather be someone who occasionally smells like something nice than someone who is drenched in cologne. I find the overpowering smell to be repulsive.

It's the only fragrance I've ever had unsolicited positive comments on.

One was from a gay woman into hyper feminine women. The other was a gay hyper-masculine man into feminine guys.

I'm not even joking! But I think it's pleasant and if it disappoints you, your entourage will still like it.

Maybe you should take a poll on this?
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Maybe you should take a poll on this?
    Renato
    Afraafra.. Someones trying to muscle in..
    Last edited by deck89; 12th August 2008 at 08:24 PM.

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

hahaah.. i guess it's almost too effective. Let's see what happens. I had never heard of creed because i'd do my shopping in department stores. It's hands down the most talked about Fragrance on many forums. so let's see.

oh yeah,

I thought i should add this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creed_(perfume)

I just hope you will love it and not be disappointed in your purchase. I been there in the blind buys, you cannot always rely on the reviews that raves a products because you may end up not liking it. Just gather peoples opinions and experience, sometimes you find people who have similar taste as yours which have helped me tons when deciding on some blind buys. GL and enjoy your new fragrance! I am waiting till mine gets here

Set your standards low .... so low that if you actually achieve them nobody will care

ie. SMW will cause violent retching that will last for weeks.

That way you are guaranteed to not be disappointed :P :brolly:

hahaah.. i guess it's almost too effective. Let's see what happens. I had never heard of creed because i'd do my shopping in department stores. It's hands down the most talked about Fragrance on many forums. so let's see.
    That's because Creed is the most mainstream of the niche houses. It's relatively easy to like the scents, so many people moving to niche will encounter Creed and brag about it because they feel they're special.

I love SMW. My favorite Creed. I don't think you'll be disappointed. And if you are? Sell it to me
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Prada - Prada Man/Amber Pour Homme
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

A L'Artisan Cap (old or new style)

Clothing + Goodies for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Man's Hand View Post
    Depends on how potent that ink note is in your bottle.
    Interesting. I had a sample of SMW a couple of years ago and although I can hardly remember what it was like (crisp metallic blackberries?), I do recall an inky note that I did not care for.

From one blind buyer to another, good luck! And enjoy the antici...........pation.
    For swap/sale: NIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Duc de Vervins, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme, Bentley Intense; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), LIDGE, Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

It isn't possible for us to know if you will be disappointed or not. How are we supposed to judge your taste and preferences on something that is as subjective as fragrance?

There are those that are haters of "everything Creed" that will instantly have knee jerk reaction and say, "yes, you will be disappointed. How can you not be, it's a Creed!?"

Then there are fanboys (less of these than the haters) that will tell say "no, you won't be disappointed. How can you be, it's a Creed!?"

Then there are some of us that think that Creed, like most houses make some fragrances we feel are great, some we feel are good, and some we feel are poor.

Bottom line, I happen to feel it is a good, but not great Creed with reasonable longevity. Others feel it is a great Creed. And still others, that appraise it objectively, and feel it is poor.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Its not. That title goes to Erolfa.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

never heard of this one.. where do i get info?

Quote Originally Posted by dr.creed View Post

Bowie also wrote some pretty awful music during the early eighties and had a raging coke habit. so wearing SMW wouldn't be his first poor decision

Actually SMW isn't a bad fragrance
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

never heard of this one.. where do i get info?
    basenotes. . . of course

hahaha. almost forgot

I personally like it, I also bought it yesterday. You should be okay, but there is alot of differences in each different batch so If you don't like it, don't be surprised to find it smells different if you get it some place else.

P.S-This happened to me.
    Any Knowledge Is Good Knowledge For Me.......

wait, doesn't that make it a knockoff?

wait, doesn't that make it a knockoff?
    Were you asking me?? if so no it wasn't a knockoff, The one tester at Saks smelled different compared to the one at Aedes. Both are authorized Creed dealers...

Quote Originally Posted by ebear View Post
    Interesting. I had a sample of SMW a couple of years ago and although I can hardly remember what it was like (crisp metallic blackberries?), I do recall an inky note that I did not care for.
    Nah, it was not blackberries, it was black currant. That was the part I could not stand about SMW, the black currant and the mysterious ink note. The black and green tea notes are lovely though.

Quote Originally Posted by deadhacker View Post
    Were you asking me?? if so no it wasn't a knockoff, The one tester at Saks smelled different compared to the one at Aedes. Both are authorized Creed dealers...
    weird. why would they be different? isn't because Creed's production methods are non-standard?

weird. why would they be different? isn't because Creed's production methods are non-standard?
    I don't know, but they were very different... the one at Aedes smelled like a dead vomiting type of earthy smell and the one at Saks very light but had more of a tea note in there... so I guess its the black currants that i'm talking about, they were either mixed different in percentage or it was something like they had there workers drunk when they made that batch...;-) you pick.....

[QUOTE=deadhacker;1282125]I don't know, but they were very different... the one at Aedes smelled like a dead vomiting type of earthy smell QUOTE]

That's a close description of my SMW, though it reminds me more of my dad's wine vats after he washes them out.
    SMW isn't the safest blind purchase, it took me a while and lots of testing before I finally went and bought it.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 13th August 2008 at 05:45 AM.

It's not. It's girlier and much sharper and screechier. Like David Bowie after the cocaine robbed some of his genious. Ironically, SMW just as sharp as the fresh acetone smell of good A1 yola, which I find f#@king repulsive.
    The drydown and berry/currant notes are good, but that one dominant, long lasting sharp synthetic note is str8 razor blades IMHO. And it's the unquestionable dominant note. If Creed proportioned it differently, I think I'd like it alot, but it's too girly of a unisex for me. More Girly than Virgin Island Water even, which is much sweeter than SMW. But it is very clean, sharp, long-lasting, and different. For certain. Keep us posted with a review.

[QUOTE=Renato;1282159]
    Quote Originally Posted by deadhacker View Post
    I don't know, but they were very different... the one at Aedes smelled like a dead vomiting type of earthy smell QUOTE]

That's a close description of my SMW, though it reminds me more of my dad's wine vats after he washes them out.
    SMW isn't the safest blind purchase, it took me a while and lots of testing before I finally went and bought it.
    Renato
    Your right Renato, SMW varies to me more from batch to batch then say GIT (which also does vary alot). So the safest bet is to buy it as fresh as you can find it, and that would be buy the current year stock from either NM or Saks at retail (safest bet)... which is a total blasher for us poor broke Bnoters... or if you know that the reseller has a decent return policy, go smell it first at Saks or NM and then buy the scent from the discounted retailer, and do a side by side comparison.. if its good keep it, if not return it.

thats my two scents...

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Moon View Post
    It isn't possible for us to know if you will be disappointed or not. How are we supposed to judge your taste and preferences on something that is as subjective as fragrance?

There are those that are haters of "everything Creed" that will instantly have knee jerk reaction and say, "yes, you will be disappointed. How can you not be, it's a Creed!?"

Then there are fanboys (less of these than the haters) that will tell say "no, you won't be disappointed. How can you be, it's a Creed!?"

Then there are some of us that think that Creed, like most houses make some fragrances we feel are great, some we feel are good, and some we feel are poor.

Bottom line, I happen to feel it is a good, but not great Creed with reasonable longevity. Others feel it is a great Creed. And still others, that appraise it objectively, and feel it is poor.
    This post oozes value when compared to the vast majority of replies to his question.

Personally, I am very into SMW. It and Neil Morris' Midnight Sea are my top 2.

Cool Re: blind purchase -- Creed Silver Mountain water

Reply hazy, ask again later. (from the classic 8 ball paperweight. )
    Maybe ( another revolving paperweight I got as a gift )
    14th hexagram 5th line moving to the 2nd hexagram (Clarity's free online I Ching reading): YOU'LL LOVE IT!!
    Tarot of The Cat People (http://www.facade.com/tarot/ ) 8 of Swords reversed, You'll be disappointed. . ..

The Supreme Oracle (heads yes, tails no) heads! Yes! Awesome!

Please let us know as I'd like to contrast The I Ching and the S.O's enthusiasm vs The Tarot of The Cat People's bummer of a reading.
    I could call one of my ex-gf's who married her astrology teacher but their marriage is a mess and she's had the cops over a few times, keeps threatening homicide, etc.

My sincere advice is that if you're going to buy blind enjoy the suspense! And don't smash the bottle against the wall if at first you dislike it. Give it a little time.

Samples are usually the way to go to save $ and aggravation. Read most any post in the fragrance abuse forum.

Still, it's a chaotic universe, so even if a sample is great, the bottle may stink. This problem appears to be notorious among Creeds, and no one really knows why.
    ( Fakes? Flat scents exposed to sunlight and the ravages of time? )

Nevertheless, it helps to hedge your bets with samples first. Especially after you've blown a few hundred bucks--or more--on blind buys.

In any case, welcome to the madness, amigo!
    You are now a bona fide member of the club.

Cheers,

Mario C. Rosenkreutz Rasputin Justiniani de Cagliostro
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

First things first. You should never buy a fragrance without sampling it first. With how easy it is to get samples now, I don't see how you wouldn't. That being said, it was the first Creed that I bought and I'm very happy about that. It will be very strange to you at first, as there is literally nothing that smells like it. You might not even like it, or wonder what the hype was all about. Then you'll get the drydown, and you'll love it. Eventually you'll learn to really love the unique, fresh topnotes.

I didn't know about these cheap sampling decant sites with amazing shipping rates. Is there anything similar to silver mountain water that I should try?

"due to the hype, I caved and bought this one from fragrancenet. given all the expectation, am I going to be disappointed?"

You will be disappointed, for the fact that fragrancenet will sell you an EDT version of the frag and if you smelled it as an EDP you will find the EDT version extremely weak and will regret not dishing out the 200+ for the 4oz to get it as EDP. Speaking out of my experience.
    Last edited by ede_desire; 16th August 2008 at 12:33 AM.

hhaha. I've never smelled it actually. I just bought it because it seems like it's a type of fragrance I would enjoy

Well if you did not smell it before you probably will not notice just remember in EDP version it wouldl be wayyy better hence the difference of +/- 100$ btw the 2. You probably paid yours around 140-150. When actual EDP costs around 225-250.

I didn't know about these cheap sampling decant sites with amazing shipping rates. Is there anything similar to silver mountain water that I should try?
    Yeah.. Bond no 9-Hamptons (Try a sample off Ebay)

Quote Originally Posted by ede_desire View Post
    Well if you did not smell it before you probably will not notice just remember in EDP version it wouldl be wayyy better hence the difference of +/- 100$ btw the 2. You probably paid yours around 140-150. When actual EDP costs around 225-250.
    yeah, but can't you just add mnore? or would that be too weird

Hm.

I found the SMW I ordered from scentiments of edp quality.

However, the Himalaya I ordered relaxes QUITE swiftly.

I do see some reviews that say this about Himalaya, but I also see that of SMW(which on me lasts 8+ hours).

Upon checking the SKU of Himalaya I ordered, the description calls it an edt.

http://www.scentiments.com/Product/S...id=96496&cid=8

And for the 2.5oz tester of SMW it just says spray. Normal.

However, with MI tester, it says in the description, "cologne spray."

http://www.scentiments.com/Product/S...id=93262&cid=8

WTF? Did I get an EDT of Himalaya? I didn't even know they did that considering it's supposed to be a MILLESIME.

"WTF? Did I get an EDT of Himalaya? I didn't even know they did that considering it's supposed to be a MILLESIME."

Yah, I know what you mean, if you get the chance to test an EDT versus an EDP you will know what I mean, not even comparable the scent is strong and longevity is 8+hrs versus the EDT which is weak and doesnt last much. This fools the people buying it especially if your new buying a Creed thinking your getting what you smelled at the mall or fragrance store. This is probably what people in the forum were talking about when they got a bottle and it smelled weak versus what they had as samples or test. You have to make sure its an EDP your getting otherwise it is not worth buying it for the price you are already paying lol.