Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default A Man's Chest: The Best Place to Apply a Perfume

I have tried applying perfume to different parts of my body, and I always get the best results when I spray the perfume on my chest. When I spray there, I can feel the perfume better and longer. I get the true essence of the perfume and the overall experience is much more pleasurable.

But why is the chest such a good place to apply a fragrance? The secret is that it has the right amont of warmth and is located at the right distance from your nose. As fellow basenoter Narcus once said, "A constant smell is something your brain will not constantly report to your alert zone". So, in order to fully appreciate a perfume, we need oscillations in the intensity of the smell, and that is exactly what we get when we spray perfume on the chest. The chest is far away enough from the nose in order to keep the olfactory oscillations in place, and close enough so that the intensity of the smell is appropriate. If you spray perfume on your head or upper neck, the olfactory stimulus will be too intense and almost constant, so your nose will become fatigued and/or will not notice the perfume as well. If you apply it on your legs, the smell won't reach your nose appropriately. There is an optimal distance, and I believe the chest is located at such a distance.

Did you folks also reach the same conclusion? Do you believe the chest is the best place to apply a perfume?

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 14th August 2008 at 01:35 AM.

Default Re: A Man's Chest: The Best Place to Apply a Perfume

Without a doubt. You can apply heavily, and the sillage that otherwise would overwhelm is held back by your shirt (assuming you're wearing one). I find that when I apply to my chest, I am able to detect the fragrance longer, especially when I'm moving or reaching for something, which allows the scent to emanate from under my shirt. Also, the fragrance clings to the shirt fabric, contributing to its longevity.

Without a doubt, my chest is the best place to apply my fragrance. In fact, if I'm making a mad dash to get out of the house, my chest might be the ONLY place I apply fragrance.

The worst place? My wrists, because as I wash my hands throughout the day the scent gets washed away, too.
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 14th August 2008 at 02:31 AM.

Hm. Nice initial post, Lucius.

For me the chest indeed is the most prominent spot to apply a fragrance. But I'm unsure wether it's the best in any case, you know.

I have no problems applying eau-de-cologne-style-scents to the neck, where it is more accesible for others (without being overwhelming). Something like the Bvlgari-tea-line wouldn't get noticed, wouldn't satisfy when only applied under the shirt.

I sometimes dab an Eau de Parfum (e.g. by Serge Lutens) to the puls points (arms) or even (carefully, as it is generally called a "female" strategy) near the ears.

it took me awhile to figure it out, but: the chest is the best! followed by the neck.

three sprays to the neck and one to the chest?

Initial? But I already consider myself a veteran!

You're probably right, the lightest perfumes may become more noticeable by others if you apply them on an area that is more exposed to air, such as the neck and head...

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux View Post
    Hm. Nice initial post, Lucius. .

I prefer the opposite: three times more sprays on the chest than on the neck...

Quote Originally Posted by Blowe46 View Post
    three sprays to the neck and one to the chest?

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    Initial? [...]
    (Of course I meant something like "a good post at the start of the thread". Lapsus calami!)
    Last edited by DesGrieux; 14th August 2008 at 02:56 AM.

Oh, I see...of course.

Thanks for the compliment!

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux View Post
    (Of course I meant something like "a good post at the start of the thread". Lapsus calami!)

How about wrists ?
    -

I agree with Bossa Nova, the wrists are not a good place because usually there is a lot of friction between the wrists and other objects, so the perfume is removed from your skin. You might also remove it when you wash your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    How about wrists ?

Prior to finding Basenotes, I always just sprayed my chest. When I was a newbie, I tried many of the suggestions here for the ideal placement of fragrances.

I adopted a few of those ideas and, in addition to my chest, I began spritzing my wrists. The wrist spritzes eventually moved to my inner elbows.

Lately, I have gone back to my humble beginnings - two or three shots to the chest and I am good to go. I normally carry an atomizer with me in case I need to refresh later in the day.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I also prefer the chest, but I find that it gets easily irritated - red, and itchy.
    Second best is back of the wrist because it's easy to smell when your hand gets near your head. It also gives you a better idea of how well other people can smell your frag, assuming you haven't also sprayed your chest. And it doesn't get irritated as easily.
    Last edited by aeromatic; 14th August 2008 at 04:16 AM.

I always spray to the chest. Where the two collar bones almost meet. No where else, I'm not a fan of wrist, neck, etc.. applications. I do the occasional mid-chest or lower abdominal region if it's extremely potent stuff.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 14th August 2008 at 04:22 AM.

I used to spray the decollete area, but I became very sensitive to strong perfumes applied there. So I switched to the forearm, about 3 inches up from the wrists. That way, I can control the application a bit better for very strong scents. Also, I can control how close it is to my nose

Ironically, applying perfume oil or parfum at the decollete and behind each ear never bothered me. I think it is because those formulations wear closer to the skin.

Lately proir to going out tomcating
    I have been hitting the back of the shoulders & nape of my neck once ... 3 spritzes with a finger dab behind the ears , then a few minutes later I put my shirt on .
    This technique works because it also entertains my nose as well as those around me .
    Really looking forward to Saturday nite !!
    UNGARO the great is in my stable .
    Sure I understand the body doesn't get as hot around the shoulders .. but it still works !

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    I agree with Bossa Nova, the wrists are not a good place because usually there is a lot of friction between the wrists and other objects, so the perfume is removed from your skin. You might also remove it when you wash your hands.
    I wear it on my wrists and have no problems with it rubbing or washing off. Decent quality fragrances once they have been in contact with the skin for a few minutes aren't as easily removed as one may think. I
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

I don't get it. If you wear it on your chest and then put a shirt over it, doesn't the shirt end up covering most of the scent?
    Last edited by leor_77; 14th August 2008 at 05:02 AM.

I maintain that a woman's chest is the best place to apply perfume .

The shirt covers some part of it, but this is not bad. It means you can apply more and have more longevity without being overwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post
    I don't get it. If you wear it on your chest and then put a shirt over it, doesn't the shirt end up covering most of the scent?

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    I wear it on my wrists and have no problems with it rubbing or washing off. Decent quality fragrances once they have been in contact with the skin for a few minutes aren't as easily removed as one may think. I
    My initial problem with spritzing my wrists came when I realized that the leather strap on my watch had absorbed quite a few of my SotD fragrances and was smelling like all of them at once!

The inner elbow thing just became superfluous - in the end, it just didn't add enough to warrant the two extra sprays.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post
    Lucius is correct. A shirt or other covering will slow down the evaporation process and increase the longevity of a fragrance - sometimes dramatically. I love getting those unexpected whiffs throughout the day.

Guys remember ! .... the back of the shoulders & neck .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

If it's the new Gucci by Gucci pour homme, 8 sprays to the neck, 12 to the chest and 5 to each arm. You might get 2 hours out of it.....

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    Not always. I, for instance, ask my girl to NOT dab or spray any on the peaks or cleavage when I'm in a playful mood. I prefer the girl's natural scent over any eau de parfum then

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by jordan4486 View Post
    If it's the new Gucci by Gucci pour homme, 8 sprays to the neck, 12 to the chest and 5 to each arm. You might get 2 hours out of it.....

It's THAT piss weak huh..

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    Not always. I, for instance, ask my girl to NOT dab or spray any on the peaks or cleavage when I'm in a playful mood. I prefer the girl's natural scent over any eau de parfum then
    I could be wrong, but I thought he meant it was the best place to apply his perfume while he was wearing it.

Mmmm ! Women love that.

I do second Marcus and Asha. When I want to smell all the notes of a perfume, I always put it somewhere on the arms. When I want to feel it's warmth or being seductive, then I choose the belly button and between the breasts.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Any place you expect to be kissed
    Men: any place that has body hair, because it keeps fragrance longer.
    No more than X spritzes all in all. X depending on the strength of your perfume and surrounding temperature.
    Sitting in an auditorium or behind your desk: your leg's are really at arm's length.
    That's why legs can be good in some situations (Peking now).

(shirt and denims ad lib)
    Last edited by narcus; 14th August 2008 at 08:15 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Always to the chest.

Except when its Kouros. Then its 7 shots to the groin.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

I always apply perfume on my chest.
    People who only spray their neck and wrists are really making a big mistake.

Talking Re: A Man's Chest: The Best Place to Apply a Perfume

Chest, Stomach and bum hair.. If you feel the need for a burst of sillage.. Just force out a botty burp!

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Yes, TwoRoads is right, the title of the thread is innocent... I never meant anything romantic or sexual! But it must be nice to apply perfume on a lover's chest. A male lover, I mean!

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    I could be wrong, but I thought he meant it was the best place to apply his perfume while he was wearing it.
    Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 16th August 2008 at 10:09 PM.

Two shots on the chest area (top and bottom of sternum), one to the middle of each forearm (top) and possibly small of the back......... Works every time..............

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    A chest that tastes of perfume is not nice, so don´t apply perfume right before you might get licked or kisses because it doesn´t taste good. So take care when you spray your neck and chest..women and men!

Otherwise, if you know it will be a normal day and you spray in the morning, I usually go for chest, hair (back of the head) and the back of my neck. Then I spray some on my stomach.

If you are sensitive to perfume but want to have some on your wrist spray it on your clothes if you wear long sleeves.

Has anyone try wearing jewellery that is designed to contain and spread perfume around? Any luck with it?

The hair on your chest (if you have it) really holds perfume well and improves its longevity. I try not to spray higher than the nape of the neck (in front) and perhaps a shot between the shoulder blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    I have been hitting the back of the shoulders & nape of my neck once ... on .
    This technique works because it also entertains my nose as well as those around me .
    Same here. I regulate how many sprays depending on the sillage i.e. Black Aoud vs. Gendarme.

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    A chest that tastes of perfume is not nice, so don´t apply perfume right before you might get licked or kisses because it doesn´t taste good.
    So I guess the inner thighs would be out of the question

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    LOL! What a *great* suggestion! Esp. since I have been wearing Parfum d'Empire's Cuir Ottoman in homage of the Comte d'Orsay sitting in his Hermes saddle: I call it "Les Cuisses du Comte." ("Thighs of the Count.") LOL! Leather, jasmine with something carnal and animalic...

I would say a man's chest (esp. on the toison, or chest hair) is the best large plane/surface area to apply scent. My husband wore my Equipage to dinner last night and it is still fragrant the next morning.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    Lmao

and lol at the bump

This thread is nothing without pics , get your chests out lads

I started doing that recently and have noticed that it stays for longer and prevents olfactory fatigue too

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I would say a man's chest (esp. on the toison, or chest hair) is the best large plane/surface area to apply scent. My husband wore my Equipage to dinner last night and it is still fragrant the next morning.
    I agree. Only recently I have taken to spritzing my chest and chest hair (specifically with Tom Ford's Italian Cypress) and the effect is wonderful. I can still smell the perfume until I shower that night, or the following morning.

Especially if you have oily skin (like in my case), the lasting power of a frag applied on the chest is nearly as strong, as to endure almost indefinitely, almost into post-apocalyptic times (or, the next shower taken with immense patience and immense thoroughness regarding the chest area)

Chest is great for a powerhouse frag, neck for Eau de Colognes

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Especially if you have oily skin (like in my case), the lasting power of a frag applied on the chest is nearly as strong, as to endure almost indefinitely, almost into post-apocalyptic times (or, the next shower taken with immense patience and immense thoroughness regarding the chest area)
    LOL! This fabulous chest, along with ses cuisses, comes to mind!

http://www.npg.org.uk/collections/se...role=sit&rNo=2
    Last edited by Primrose; 10th January 2010 at 06:12 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

My chest should have "apply scent here" tattooed on it, as it truly is the best spot for me.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Cold remedy balms are recommended to be applied to the chest for the simple reason that that is the most efficient area that aids diffusion of the active ingredients to one's nose. The same logic applies to frags as well.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    LOL! This fabulous chest, along with ses cuisses, comes to mind!

http://www.npg.org.uk/collections/se...role=sit&rNo=2
    Nothing beats pair of virile pecs covered in eau de jasmin! (Now where did I put my smelling salts...?) LOL!
    Last edited by Primrose; 10th January 2010 at 10:58 PM.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Cold remedy balms are recommended to be applied to the chest for the simple reason that that is the most efficient area that aids diffusion of the active ingredients to one's nose. The same logic applies to frags as well.
    Very good point indeed.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    This thread is nothing without pics , get your chests out lads
    Here, here. LOL

Interesting thread. I always reach under my shirt and hit the torso area with 1-3 spritzes depending on the scent. Doing this after you put on your shirt is important because it traps the scent and gets some into the fabric of your shirt, which is perfect for gently wafting fragrance as you move throughout the day. It's also a great way to control stronger frags with major sillage.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Where do you guys suggest to spray for A Men? I have been trying different areas but cant find a way to apply it that I like. I usually do 1 on the chest, 2 on the neck, then one on the wrist and press them together. The longevity is good but it doesn't feel like it projects well. Seems like the scent stays very close to my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer350 View Post
    Where do you guys suggest to spray for A Men? I have been trying different areas but cant find a way to apply it that I like. I usually do 1 on the chest, 2 on the neck, then one on the wrist and press them together. The longevity is good but it doesn't feel like it projects well. Seems like the scent stays very close to my skin.
    I do 4-5 sprays of A*Men. Usually 2 to the neck and another 3 to the chest. Sillage is just perfect and longevity is very good.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Cool Re: A Man's Chest: The Best Place to Apply a Perfume

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickins View Post
    Always to the chest.

Except when its Kouros. Then its 7 shots to the groin.

-Slim
    Or if you're spraying MKK or Eau d' Hermes, in which case the underarms may be more relevant than the groin.

Well, perhaps.

I have experimented . . .

Yes, it's my rugged hairy chest. Macho Man! Though I wonder about Night's bellybutton suggestion? Perhaps if you were to compete at a Kenjutsu or Aikido tournament --or a Tango one--and wish to remain calm by keeping the focus on your Seika Tanden a.k.a. The Center as you glide across the floor?
    Not to mention if you ARE a belly dancer.

The back of the hands is the next step, after smelling a paper strip, when considering buying a frag. Besides some SA tend to freak if you rip off your shirt and give Tarzan like yells, even if you've just sprayed yourself with Route du Vetyver.

The neck is not quite as good as it can lead to what Luscious said, though the argument that the side of the neck, or the wily female trick of applying behind the ears, is fine for EDC strength may be quite sound. Especially if it's a "light" EDC e.g; Acqua di Parma Colonia---not to mention aftershave colognes that are usually gone in 30 min max.

The back of the forearm, is " subjectively " farther from one's nose than the hands are, (Huh?) at least in most social situations. I can't imagine eating dinner wearing a powerhouse candy gourmand on my hands. Not even with dessert. So, unless one has the unfortunate habit of wiping the nose with one's sleeve, go for the forearm.

Obviously anything that had the word Oudh should be applied to one's feet. Wear sandals. Let repentant prostitutes annoint you with even more oudh.

And back to the OP's question, I think the best place to spray A*Men is Cleveland. Though Pittsburgh, Detroit and Siberia should not be ignored.

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 12th January 2010 at 07:54 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

I always apploy 2 1/2 spritz of perfume onto the chest and 1 onto the sternum *Whilst referring to the abdomen only*
    With this at task it does jut out protuberant sillage proving great for my own olfactory. Giving me a constant reminder of what
    I've applied!

Cheers and take care!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

What is the experience of guys who wear tshirts and dress shirts and ties? Does this cover up the scent or does it somehow escape up to the nostrils? That is why I would think sprays to the inner elbows would not work, and also to the chest. Now, summer time, yeah, Ill spray the forearms and elbows and even the collarbone area because polo shirts are open, or t shirts are light, but with a business suit wearing, it has to be the neck and jawbone?

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    What is the experience of guys who wear tshirts and dress shirts and ties? Does this cover up the scent or does it somehow escape up to the nostrils? That is why I would think sprays to the inner elbows would not work, and also to the chest. Now, summer time, yeah, Ill spray the forearms and elbows and even the collarbone area because polo shirts are open, or t shirts are light, but with a business suit wearing, it has to be the neck and jawbone?
    It has been many years since I wore a tie on a daily basis but I can attest to the fact that fragrance sprayed to your chest will find its way out of your t-shirt and dress shirt in a most pleasing fashion. The neck and jawbone are too close to my nose and cause fatigue.

Ah so, thank you sir!!! That may explain why I think many scents peter out, since I have nose fatique. I sprayed some today on neck and jaw bone and I can catch whiffs from time to time, but for the next week, I will use the chest spray as well.