Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is parfums de nicolai niche?

Is parfums de nicolai niche?
    For sale: Nemo Cacharel 1,7OZ (30ML) 99% full

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: Is parfums de nicolai niche?

Yes Sir, Niche would be correct.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Is parfums de nicolai niche?

Absolutely !!!!
    One of the first independent perfumers...
    In Paris their perfumes ( very good ) are only sold at PN Boutiques and abroad only in some ( very few ) shops...
    Last edited by ROBERTO; 18th November 2008 at 12:27 PM.
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is parfums de nicolai niche?

That's funny than I just discovered my mom owns a niche. She doesn't even know what niche means, but to my surprise she owns one.
    Last edited by brianroy; 18th November 2008 at 12:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brianroy View Post
    That's funny than I just discovered my mom owns a niche. She doesn't even know what niche means, but to my surprise she owns one.
    Which one does she own ????
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Perfumes

Post Thanks / Like

Number 1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brianroy View Post
    Number 1
    Lovely that one, Number One .
    Congratulations
    Perfumes

Post Thanks / Like

The working definition of niche is, of course, totally impossible. However, I believe that it's safe to say that a company that makes nothing but fragrances and that has limited distribution can be considered niche. The tricky fragrances to define are the high quality, limited distribution scents from designer houses (Chanel exclusif, Hermesscences) or the big-fragrance houses like Guerlain and Rochas that don't really do much besides fragrances but have wide distribution. The hardest to define, IMO, is CdG. CdG is a high-end fashion label, but they also make very 'nichey' fragrances.

Of course all this means is that there's a huge gray area in the definitions, but with the exception of arguments on this board, the definitions are largely meaningless.

I think of them as niche rather than mainstream.
    I own about 5 of her scents and have sampled many. Right now I'm kind of addicted to the sneaky patchouli note that hides inside the crisp citrus of her Cedrat edc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    The working definition of niche is, of course, totally impossible. However, I believe that it's safe to say that a company that makes nothing but fragrances and that has limited distribution can be considered niche. The tricky fragrances to define are the high quality, limited distribution scents from designer houses (Chanel exclusif, Hermesscences) or the big-fragrance houses like Guerlain and Rochas that don't really do much besides fragrances but have wide distribution. The hardest to define, IMO, is CdG. CdG is a high-end fashion label, but they also make very 'nichey' fragrances.

Of course all this means is that there's a huge gray area in the definitions, but with the exception of arguments on this board, the definitions are largely meaningless.
    The question is, isn't there some sort of organization responsible of defining "niche" in technical terms? Isn't there a perfume "guild" or "club" of niche companies? If there is not, I guess the industry might be demanding the organization of such an institution before companies claiming their products being what they are really not.

Some sort of certification would not harm the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    The question is, isn't there some sort of organization responsible of defining "niche" in technical terms? Isn't there a perfume "guild" or "club" of niche companies? If there is not, I guess the industry might be demanding the organization of such an institution before companies claiming their products being what they are really not.

Some sort of certification would not harm the industry.
    www.fragrance.org

The Fragrance Foundation defines niche purely in terms of how many "doors" (individual stores) carry a product. Fewer than 500 doors worldwide, I believe, and it's niche.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    www.fragrance.org

The Fragrance Foundation defines niche purely in terms of how many "doors" (individual stores) carry a product. Fewer than 500 doors worldwide, I believe, and it's niche.
    So it is a matter of distribution... Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Is it the distribution of the house, or distribution of the individual fragrance? If it's the fragrance, something like Ralph Lauren Purple Label is 'niche' (only available at Ralph Lauren stores). Some Guerlains would be niche, while others aren't. Same with the Chanel Exclusifs and Hermescences.... unfortunately this definition still leaves a big gray area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes, I would consider it niche as well. I love the New York blend

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    www.fragrance.org

Is the term "niche" in their glossary...I couldn't find it.
    ďI wanna say something. Iím gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you donít, send it right backÖ."

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Is it the distribution of the house, or distribution of the individual fragrance? Some Guerlains would be niche, while others aren't. Same with the Chanel Exclusifs and Hermescences.... unfortunately this definition still leaves a big gray area.
    The Fragrance Foundation's 2007 Fragrance of the Year Nominees (unfortunately only available on Google Cache) answers that question:
    NOUVEAU NICHE - Fragrances sold in Specialty Stores (Fewer than 250 doors)
    The category refers to the fragrance itself, not the house as a whole. Count the number of brick-and-mortar locations (i.e., "doors") where it is sold, and if your number is 249 or lower, it's niche. The 2007 nominees in this category included Armani's Prive Cuir Amethyste and Cartier's Delices, which show that a house can have both niche and non-niche fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    Is the term "niche" in their glossary...I couldn't find it.
    Unfortunately, it is a little hard to find. For example, check out this page: http://www.fragrance.org/fifi_forms.php. From there you can click on the "FiFi Award Forms" and it brings up last year's nomination forms (in .pdf format). The nomination form shows the Fragrance Foundation's category "Nouveau Niche" is fewer than 250 doors.

Post Thanks / Like

Then my $2 bottle of "Inspirado por Jean Paul Gaultier" is niche.