Code of Conduct
    Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Something as "Special" as Tea for Two

Tea for Two -- tea, smoke, and honey

I love tea. Both as a drink and as a scent. I've checked out Jenson's great "Tea based Scents" thread at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=211163 but it doesn't seem to be exactly my "cup of tea" -- which right now is finding something in the same style of T42's smoky heavenly sweetness. I love what Giacobetti did with the honey very much, and think that it's what makes T42 what it is. I find that it's a scent that pleases the wearer really much. The scent I'm finding doesn't have to be a Tea-based scent, but anything of a similar style or something that evokes Tea would make many BNers I can think of, including myself, very happy. Your help would be appreciated.

Here are some thoughts on some vials and scents I have around:

S.L. Five o' Clock au Gingembre -- Tea time? A bit on the weird side. I like the ginger in this very much, but I'm not yet sure if I prefer it or Rousse. I feel like.. a gingerbread man wearing this. (Not a bad thing!)

Bvlgari Black -- It's also smoky and sexy, but it evokes a totally different mood. Yes, I do detect tea somewhere in there.

Gucci PH II -- Tea for Two eau fraiche? The bergamot in this seems to transform the black tea into something like... Lipton Lemon. I like this a lot actually.

Here are some shortlisted ones for sampling, which I have not yet tried: (would love to hear what you think)

L'eau Rare Matale by Parfumerie Generale
    Un Crime Exotique by Parfumerie Generale
    CDG Tea -- Mikeperez posted that if you like Dzing!, you might like Tea, so I'm curious!
    Ava Luxe Black Tea
    Last edited by moltening; 14th August 2008 at 10:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Something as "Special" as Tea for Two

Parfumerie Generale's Harmatan Noir would be your cup of tea Delicious honeyed black tea with florals and mint.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Post Thanks / Like

Russian Caravan Tea by CB I Hate Perfumes is said to be an excellent rendition of dark tea.

It isn't exactly what you asked for, but if you replace tea with tobacco, I think Fumerie Turque might also suit your tastes.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    Parfumerie Generale's Harmatan Noir would be your cup of tea Delicious honeyed black tea with florals and mint.
    Thanks.. "delicious honeyed black tea" sounds really nice -- but I hope the mint doesn't end up toothpaste-ey. It'll be going straight to my "to sample!" list.

Quote Originally Posted by heythatslife View Post
    Russian Caravan Tea by CB I Hate Perfumes is said to be an excellent rendition of dark tea.

It isn't exactly what you asked for, but if you replace tea with tobacco, I think Fumerie Turque might also suit your tastes.
    I was looking at Russian Caravan Tea some time a go as well but haven't taken the time to check out a sample yet. And you're right on about the Fumerie Turque! -- I do enjoy it. By the way, since you're in South Korea, be sure to check out the traditional "Cinnamon Tea/Juice" It really is an interesting drink that's worth a try.
    Last edited by moltening; 14th August 2008 at 10:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, since you're in South Korea, be sure to check out the traditional "Cinnamon Tea/Juice" It really is an interesting drink that's worth a try.
    I am a native Korean, so I grew up drinking that stuff by the bucket - my grandmother's brew remains the best I've tasted anywhere after all these years. Right now I'm in Jordan with its killer summer and now that you mention it, I really could use a big bowl of soojeongua (that's what it's called) with ice! Moltening, you just made me really homesick

By the way, which CDG Tea are you talking about? There's one in the Green series and another in Sweet.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

It may be hard to find. But if you can, you may want to sample Annick Goutal Eau du Fier. It's VERY smoky though......
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heythatslife View Post
    By the way, which CDG Tea are you talking about? There's one in the Green series and another in Sweet.
    He's talking about Tea (Series 1: Leaves). Moltening: I don't think that Tea by CdG is what you're looking for, given your description above. Tea is quite harsh and smells like tea leaves - not tea. There is a difference. The dried tea leaves can be quite harsh and CdG handles this quite skillfully with a pinch of rose and some other plastic accord that keeps things strange yet interesting. Tea is not smoky or comforting...it's a little jarring. I like it, but I don't think one could compare it at all to Tea for Two.

Instead, please try Mintea by Masaki Matsushima and Courvoisier L'Edition Imperiale by Courvoisier. Don't let the name (or bottle) for Mintea fool you moltening - this scent is extremely spicy and tea prominent.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 14th August 2008 at 04:03 PM.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Series 1 Tea sounds like something that jumped out of the synthetic series.

I'll be sure to try out Mintea next time I visit my local perfume shoppe -- and you're right the scent's appearance fooling me -- I didn't sample it because of the name and bottle. As for the L'Edition Imperiale -- I'll be sure to ask for it next time I order a scent. TPC has Eau du Fier 1ml vial for $5.. I'll have to find it someother way.

By the way, heythatslife, is there any scent out there that smells like soojeongua? It would be great to take along on your travels too.
    Last edited by moltening; 14th August 2008 at 05:01 PM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention moltening - you should try Un Crime Exotique by Parfumerie Generale but I think it is much more of a floral gourmand, than a tea scent. I got lot's of cozy caramel, something sweet (almost like burnt toffee) and then a very realistic osmanthus floral note. Neat and definitely would smell great on a cool winters day, but I don't see it as an alternative to T42 at all.

The original Tommy Girl, not to be confused with T Girl or any of the other flankers, has an authentic black tea base.
    Believe it or not, it's a very good fragrance, especially on a man. I was pleasantly surprised.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 14th August 2008 at 06:12 PM.

Okay, here's one nobody else will suggest: Minnie Mouse! My niece got this for a birthday, and it's a decent tea frag, actually. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

It doesnt smell like black lapsoung tea, but Bulgar Eau the Verte is special (or was special..)
    -

Post Thanks / Like

It isn't a tea scent, but Olivia Giacobetti did Idole de Lubin. It's lighter and not as smoky as Tea for Two, but it has a similar feel and warmth to it with notes of rum, tobacco, and leather. Definitely worth sampling.