Code of Conduct

Default Montale Red Vetyver

i just sampled today Red Vetiver by Montale (thanks to Vijay the Basenotes Prince of Montale) and have absolutely fallen in love with it..sharp, crisp, beautiful, strong very reminiscent of FM Vetiver Extraordinaire yet not as biting and straight ahead as FM counterpart......there is a tiny hint of almost amber like sweetness that comes out during the drydown which makes it even mroe enjoyable.

Basenoters....what do you think?

P.S i cant find Red Vetiver listing in the Directory.....maybe i am going crazy or maybe i just forgot how to look up fragrances....someone/anyone please help me out.
    Last edited by acceptfacts; 15th August 2008 at 05:37 AM.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Default Re: Montale Red Vetiver

I also got sample of Red Vetiver from Vijay and I love this stuff. Although to me it smells closer to Terre De Hermes. In face t at first whiff I thought I had gotten the wrong sample. I also smell an aquatic note in there.
    I haven't fully worn it yet but I think I like it more than TDH. Im pretty sure that I'll be buying a bottle in time.

I gave it a tiny dab sampling amidst many other samples on my arms, and so I know my evaluation of it is limited so far, but I too found it close to TdH but just ..more, in every sense. It seems to have avoided the 'dawn dishsoap' note that TdH's latter stage of the heartnotes becomes on me, which was sadly the reason I had to pass on TdH, a scent I otherwise thoroughly enjoyed. I'm going to test more, and think I may be looking for a decant of this soon.

Another one hooked by Red Vetyver. I wore it twice from a sample and had to buy myself a bottle. It really is a great fragrance. I requested it be put in the database but I don't think anyone has had the time to get around to it. Soon hopefully.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

I found Red Vetyver to be a more extreme earthy woody version of Terre d'Hermes. I like it, but not yet ready to invest in a full bottle.

For more discussion:
    Jock_with_Scents' informative thread: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210503
    Purplebird7's Montale Reviews thread: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?p=1283825

I see TdH resemblence but i do feel that red vetiver is a beast all on its own......I like tdh but i think it has its flaws which start bothering me after a while...the "dirt" gets artifical after a while and begings to bother me which I do believe is not present in Red Vetyver......in RE, the spicyness of vetiver cools down when the swet amber note kicks in about 45 minutes into it.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

I've been pondering on whether to order a FB from Vijay or to just go for the sampler pack first and decide on a FB later.

Hmmmmmmmm.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Default Re: Montale Red Vetyver

There was a thread that had prices. I know it goes for $175 US for the 100 ml size at Luckyscent, but I know Vijay can and will do better. Any idea how much MOntale sells it for since Vijay will match that?

i have never encountered a scent which is composed of such hot spices...at the same time, i can easily see how this would really shine in cold whethers by it's warmth. i dont hate it, and i definitely find it way above average but, i wud not invest in a bottle, a 10-20 ml decant? YES! anyone?

javagreen: this maybe somethign of ur interest. i do have a sample of it.

I absolutely love the fragrance - the vetiver + the cedar-y smell really goes well together.

I have a smaple of it and treasure it - when I am out - I may just have to pick up a bottle of it. Montale was always good but not bottle worthy for me thus far - but this one may be one I have to have!!

===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

Count me in as a member of the Red Vetyver fan club, too.
    I got both similarities to TdH and Vet Extraordinaire. I wore both fairly close after wearing my sample of Red Vetyver.
    I really felt Red Vetyver is its own beast and stands on its own.
    There is more of a spice note than in TdH and less of the Vetiver than in VE. Plus the amber note in the base is different than either of the scents its being compared to.
    It was definitely FB worthy and Vijay is in the process of sending one to me.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Awesome! It's great to see a new fragrance with such high reviews across the board, but then again, it is to be expected since it is Montale. I can't wait to try this one now...I will likely visit Raffy's store in Sherman Oaks.