Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Serge Noire by Serge Lutens - a review

I scored a 5 ml decant of Serge Noire by Serge Lutens in the recent 10% off sale at The Perfumed Court. SN is one of my most highly anticipated releases this second half of 2008 (right behind White Patchouli by Tom Ford).

The last two Serge Lutens (export) releases I had strong hopes for: Rousse and Five O'Clock Gingembre. On paper, the notes sounded like exactly what I like. On my skin, after several repeated wearings, they failed to impress me seriously. In fact, I found Rousse slightly uncomfortable after repeated wearings.

Serge Noire, however, is fantastic.

The top notes, a blend of dry smokiness, resinous incense (not frankincense...well, shall I say not burning frankincense, but the incense resin itself and some other kind of pine based almost citrus spiked incense) - very dry. At the very edges of the incense is a wonderful spice accord. Not the candied Red Hots of Rousse or the ginger from Five O' Clock Gingembre. No sweet spice - rather, the smells of a fresh ground nutmeg pod.

As it dries on the skin, the scent actually gave me the impression it was 'warming' my skin. I even looked at my skin the first time I tested this, just to check that I wasn't having a skin allergic reaction to the scent (I wasn't). But, the olfactory impression of warm skin and spice is uncanny. There it was, buzzing atop my skin.

When I have Christmas parties at my house, right before the guests arrive I usually grab a few whole cinnamon sticks and whole cloves and boil them in a shallow pan of water - to fill the house with a fresh spicy scent. Once I left the pan on the stove idle for too long. I rushed in, the spices burning and sticking to the hot pan, when it ran out of water. I am reminded of this smell, the first hour of wearing SN.

The honey notes come and go, in amidst the incense, spice and resins. Not too strongly, and almost imperceptible at times - but still enough to link the scent to my impression of a Serge Lutens scent. It's skillfully blended and it's not sweet honey. It's one of my favorite parts of the scent.

The longer one wears the scent, the more sweeter the spice gets. It starts to really smell like cinnamon at this point (yay...I love cinnamon!!) but because it occurs at this stage of the drydown it is a subdued and restrained sweetness. Not candied or syrupy.

I enjoyed the longevity of the scent - almost five to six hours later my skin, smelled up close, revealed even still the incense: dark, filled with hints of ash (less smoky than Avignon by CdG...more warm), almost raw. However my skin, smelled from far away, revealed the spice and oleoresins: freshly ground, nose tickling..

In India, ground nutmeg is smoked. Imagining a burning, nutmeg scented, hand rolled cigarette. I am certain wearing Serge Noire comes close to replicating this olfactory experience.

This scent is amazing.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 10th October 2008 at 01:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Serge Noire by Serge Lutens - a review

Wow... sounds fantastic, mike!
    - A spritz of Caron may be quite continental, but (a flacon of) Guerlain is a perfumisto's best friend...

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Wow... sounds fantastic, mike!
    It really is wildcat. I imagine the upcoming cooler weather will be the perfect weather for this scent too. Please try it.

Post Thanks / Like

I only have a small sample of this and it smells good enough but I cant escape the feeling that its a toned down spice (nutmeg is right) and sweet show (something which we have seen before) with a good incense note woven through .. like it : yes, but its not unique or wow enough at this point.. Encens et Lavande maybe more traditional but at this point I think its a far better composition.
    -

Post Thanks / Like

Being from India, I get the ground Nutmeg reference.... lovely review as always Mike

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I only have a small sample of this and it smells good enough but I cant escape the feeling that its a toned down spice (nutmeg is right) and sweet show (something which we have seen before) with a good incense note woven through .. like it : yes, but its not unique or wow enough at this point.. Encens et Lavande maybe more traditional but at this point I think its a far better composition.
    Interesting.

I have been playing around with a sample of EEL for a while now. I haven't given it too many full wearings because I was trying to wrap my head around my new bottle of Gris Clair and I'd heard they were so alike. I wanted to 'get' GC before I went off and tried to unravel EEL.

I think I prefer SN more than EEL, for now, simply because I will always pick spice (cinnamon) over herbal/aromatics (lavender).

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    Being from India, I get the ground Nutmeg reference.... lovely review as always Mike
    Thanks javagreen. So then have you smelled someone smoking nutmeg? I'm intrigued.

Off-Scenter

Thanks for the review Mike! I've been having mixed experiences with the last few years' Lutens releases. I love Chene and Mandarin-Mandarine (the ones that Turin hates ), but Rousse, Sarrasins, and 5 O'Clock au Gingembre have all left me cold. I look forward to giving Serge Noir a try someday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nice review, Mike!

I must say I prefer Encens et Lavande (I also prefer EeL to Gris Clair), though.

What I like most about Serge Noire is the burning wood / campfire thing, I find it more smoky than spicy. With its dryness it's a welcome change among the usually sweet & spicy SL scents.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Thanks javagreen. So then have you smelled someone smoking nutmeg? I'm intrigued.
    I have smoked a Nutmeg Cigarette myself a couple of years back.... very Intoxicating! One has to be careful about the amount of pure Nutmeg added per roll (of cigarette) because it induces a high level of drowsiness and puts one in a semi-drugged like state

A lot of the old timers here still prefer these cigarettes over the packaged branded ones

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Great review! I have a sample of this and I remember liking this very much.It strongly reminded me of something familiar, but I still can't put my finger on it. It's very close to the skin,like a cosy warm cashmere sweater.
    I haven't given the sample that much attention lately though.I will retry this one later this day and give it a good sniff.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'll like this perfume. I love the nutmeg in Cacharel PH and Chanel PMC. I also love cinnamon.

I will use your method to fill my house with scent, when I visit my parents in Brazil during Christmas! It's a great idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Must...resist...urge...to...buy....but this sounds like Crypronite.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Thanks for the review Mike! I've been having mixed experiences with the last few years' Lutens releases. I love Chene and Mandarin-Mandarine (the ones that Turin hates ), but Rousse, Sarrasins, and 5 O'Clock au Gingembre have all left me cold. I look forward to giving Serge Noir a try someday.
    I still haven't smelled Mandarin-Mandarine, however Sarassins I am still on the fence about. I think it reminds me too much of my favorite jasmine A La Nuit and I haven't worn my Sarassins sample enough to 'get' a difference. Turin's review of Sarassins really had me perked up, but on my skin it seemed flatter and more mysterious than ALN. I tend to prefer jasmine bright and clear. Please try SN Vibert, I'd love to hear what you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    Nice review, Mike!

I must say I prefer Encens et Lavande (I also prefer EeL to Gris Clair), though.

What I like most about Serge Noire is the burning wood / campfire thing, I find it more smoky than spicy. With its dryness it's a welcome change among the usually sweet & spicy SL scents.
    I'm going to have to give EeL more attention, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    I have smoked a Nutmeg Cigarette myself a couple of years back.... very Intoxicating! One has to be careful about the amount of pure Nutmeg added per roll (of cigarette) because it induces a high level of drowsiness and puts one in a semi-drugged like state

A lot of the old timers here still prefer these cigarettes over the packaged branded ones
    Cool. I used to smoke clove cigarettes (kretek) when I was younger (and when I smoked). Haven't smoked for almost 6-7 years...but the nutmeg cigs sound delicious.

thank you for your review, i have a bottle of Noire coming from Paris- unsniffed natch- and the reviews on MUA have not been kind, so i was nervous. your description has put my mind at ease, what wonderful writing. the male frag discussions here are always amazing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

interesting review. thanks mike.

i have yet to like any of the Lutens stuff that i've tried so far....however MKK and Chergui will be joined by Serge Noire in my list of Lutens scents i have not tried and need to...
    Last edited by everso; 15th August 2008 at 02:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent Review Mike! i almost felt as if i wearing theis scent!! ill read this thread to have SN as my Sotd

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Great review! I have a sample of this and I remember liking this very much.It strongly reminded me of something familiar, but I still can't put my finger on it. It's very close to the skin,like a cosy warm cashmere sweater.
    I haven't given the sample that much attention lately though.I will retry this one later this day and give it a good sniff.
    Yes it's cozy and I almost used the 'cashmere sweater' adjective myself in my review. It's quite refreshing to find a smoky and incense prominent scent that's not too sweet and isn't made by CdG.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    I think I'll like this perfume. I love the nutmeg in Cacharel PH and Chanel PMC. I also love cinnamon.

I will use your method to fill my house with scent, when I visit my parents in Brazil during Christmas! It's a great idea.
    I hope you do Lucius.

I am not that familiar with the two scents you mentioned, but I will say that the nutmeg is like no other fragrance I've ever smelled. I get a hint of it in Jaisalmer (Series 3: Incense) by CdG, but in Jaisalmer it's loaded with Iso E Super, and perhaps other synthetics giving it a bright and sharp tang. In SN, it's warm and dark. Incredibly different effect.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Must...resist...urge...to...buy....but this sounds like Crypronite.
    Please sample this t_g_l - I wouldn't urge anyone to blind buy this one, but I think you should really smell it. It seems, IMO, that Lutens/Sheldrake have done it again.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    thank you for your review, i have a bottle of Noire coming from Paris- unsniffed natch- and the reviews on MUA have not been kind, so i was nervous. your description has put my mind at ease, what wonderful writing. the male frag discussions here are always amazing
    Thanks 3xasif. Lucky you. Enjoy your bottle when it arrives!

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    interesting review. thanks mike. i have yet to like any of the Lutens stuff that i've tried so far....however MKK and Chergui will be joined by Serge Noire in my list of Lutens scents i have not tried and need to...
    Lutens scents are not easy to 'get' everso - it sometimes takes many full wearings (on skin, of course) before they start to show their personality.

Which is why, as I mentioned above, it's taken me a while to figure out that I'm not going to ever like Rousse. It is nice when I have 'instant love' with a Lutens scent. But most of the SL scents take time to wrap my head (and nose) around. The same can be said for most MPG scents.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Excellent Review Mike! i almost felt as if i wearing theis scent!! ill read this thread to have SN as my Sotd
    Thanks jenson - please try it when you can, I'd love to see what you think about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Your review's making me drool as I read, Mike. I've been hoping for a while that Lutens would make an attempt at an interesting incense scent, and maybe this might be my dream come true. Can't wait to sample this.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for this great review. It sounds delicious and I'm intrigued! I'm also wondering about the sillage of Serge Noire. Those SLs I've smelled so far seem to be very intimate scents.

On another note (referencing your original post), I'm thinking you probably have access to this already since you're in Miami...but I have a Tom Ford sample of White Patchouli and would be happy to send it to you if you'd like. PM me if so.

I finally scored a sample of Serge Noir from Aedes. Initial impressions are good. This one may be a bit of a sleeper scent. The cinnamon and nutmeg mixed with the incense and honey threw me off at first, but it keeps on evolving. The middle stage is a bit smelly kitchen like Bengal Fougere, - fenugreek? The drydown is sublime.
    Stay tuned.
    I'm back from dinner and a few hours with Serge Noir. The caramellic lavender notes that dominate the opening, are so far, not mentioned anywhere. They're very similar to the one used in Pour un Homme and Maharajah. The opening is not the most original part of SN. The incense, cinnamon and other ingredients makes this a subtle oriental. More wearings are needed for sure. I have to say, I'm not blown away. But that could be a the sign of a keeper.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 20th August 2008 at 02:34 AM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I finally scored a sample of Serge Noir from Aedes. Initial impressions are good. This one may be a bit of a sleeper scent. The cinnamon and nutmeg mixed with the incense and honey threw me off at first, but it keeps on evolving. The middle stage is a bit smelly kitchen like Bengal Fougere, - fenugreek? The drydown is sublime.
    Stay tuned.
    I'm back from dinner and a few hours with Serge Noir. The caramellic lavender notes that dominate the opening, are so far, not mentioned anywhere. They're very similar to the one used in Pour un Homme and Maharajah. The opening is not the most original part of SN. The incense, cinnamon and other ingredients makes this a subtle oriental. More wearings are needed for sure. I have to say, I'm not blown away. But that could be a the sign of a keeper.
    What a coincidence: I wore my sample of Fougere Bengale last night and you're right FB is so kitchen smelly, whereas Serge Noire is much more spice prominent to me (no curry whiffs from SN!). I doubt SN has fenugreek in it (I kinda hate the smell of fenugreek) but yes, that drydown...neat huh? It's like flint, ash, kodo incense and cinnamon all rolled into one.

I'm also agreeing with you on the top notes, I don't think they're too challenging. Yet a few people I've spoken to (and read reviews) mentioned they thought the top notes were 'difficult'. Perhaps I have a higher 'difficult' threshold.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 20th August 2008 at 02:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting Ruggles. My experience with Serge Noire has been similar. The lavender in the opening seems out place [read: I just don't like it] but fortunately the lavender dissipates within minutes. SN then evolves into a spicy oriental fragrance that feels at home in the Lutens oevre. I like Serge Noire but I want to wear it few more times before I decide to invest in a bottle.
    Last edited by Sloan; 20th August 2008 at 04:29 AM.

The Lavender note seems never to be mentioned in any of the scent pyramids I've seen about SN. The lavender is the type that Turin calls "caramellic". I do get a little bit of Gris Clair in the middle of SN. My feelings on this one is that it is SL's attempt at being commercial.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Aedes and Luckyscent (preorder) now have Serge Noir.

You have no idea how tempted I am to buy a bottle!!!

(sigh)

Aedes and Luckyscent (preorder) now have Serge Noir.

You have no idea how tempted I am to buy a bottle!!!

(sigh)

MIKE . . . GIVE YOURSELF TO THE NOIRE SIDE!
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Serge Noir by Serge Lutens - a review

I just ordered a decant of this, can't wait to try it out!

Post Thanks / Like

If you know Fumerie Turque, my favourite SL frag with smoke and sweetness, would you kindly try to sum up the differences. Thank you in advance.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    If you know Fumerie Turque, my favourite SL frag with smoke and sweetness, would you kindly try to sum up the differences. Thank you in advance.
    I have never smelled FT. I've always wanted to...feel free to send me a sample!

From what I have read about FT, it's tobacco smoke, then a strong boozy sweetness...then leather. Am I right?

SN has no tobacco notes. The smoke is from the incense. There is sweetness but its spicy honeyed sweetness, not rum (booze). And there's NO leather.

I'm certain that tmp00 has smelled both - hopefully he'll read this thread and chime in with his thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Superb scent. Very theatralic. The glow of black-golden dust.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) F. Malle 1-19 2) Chanel Bel Respiro 3) TF Noir de Noir 4) Hermes Eau de Pamplemousse Rose

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel 3) Dominique Ropion

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

I liked it a lot when Turin wrote that "Serge Noire is not a hell of an oriental, but an oriental from hell"

I have to agree, but I really love it for being that. Smells like a burning oriental.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review, Mike!

I wanted to love this, but unfortunately my experience was the same as Vibert's.

The opening is an interesting spicy blend that makes me think "Oh, where is this going?" The answer turns out to be "Away, but here's your consolation prize - 2oz of cedar sawdust!"

It may be a skin chemistry thing, but this dwindles into a one note cedar then disappears on me. Quite disappointing!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII View Post
    Superb scent. Very theatralic. The glow of black-golden dust.
    I agree. I noticed that in a recent interview with Monsieur Lutens, when asked what was his favorite fragrance, he avoided sweeping generalizations but happened to say that Serge Noire he had worked on for about 9 years so obviously he had a very special feeling for it.

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post
    I liked it a lot when Turin wrote that "Serge Noire is not a hell of an oriental, but an oriental from hell"

I have to agree, but I really love it for being that. Smells like a burning oriental.
    I remember reading Kevin's review at NowSmellThis and laughing out loud...he said it smelled like so many gross out things. I have to say, it's ALL about skin chemistry.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Nice review, Mike!

I wanted to love this, but unfortunately my experience was the same as Vibert's.

The opening is an interesting spicy blend that makes me think "Oh, where is this going?" The answer turns out to be "Away, but here's your consolation prize - 2oz of cedar sawdust!"

It may be a skin chemistry thing, but this dwindles into a one note cedar then disappears on me. Quite disappointing!
    How sad Galamb. Again...skin chemistry is so wonky, isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

One of my favorites from 2008

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

SL's SN is one of my best buys of 2008. I use it here in our tropical and humid climate so most of the notes are heightened. I always detect a fleeting camphorous note. Sillage is quite respectable and the scent lasts all through working hours and even till night.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    The Lavender note seems never to be mentioned in any of the scent pyramids I've seen about SN. The lavender is the type that Turin calls "caramellic". I do get a little bit of Gris Clair in the middle of SN. My feelings on this one is that it is SL's attempt at being commercial.
    Ugh that's IT Ruggles you little genius. I've been wearing Serge Noir trying to figure out what in the WORLD that strange "out of place" (to quote Sloan) almost scratchy, herbal note was. Of COURSE... lavender has tricked me in a number of occasions. If you want to know the truth, sometimes I get a bready sensation from it (almost yeasty) as in A Taste of Heaven. Don't make fun but this tricky note combined with the spices in Serge Noir made me imagine (sorry, the brain has a mind of its own) the slightest hinty hint of those chicken stock cubes you add to water to make chicken soup. I know I know... first impressions. Interestingly Ruggles, I don't see this as being particularly commercial. I find it as niche as it gets.

Oh my gosh, I am thrilled. I feel like all the notes just went "wonk" and locked into place in my mind. Lavender! And of course the nutmeg as well. Honestly, due to lazyness, I've not looked up a note pyramid for this and now that I'm reading the ingredients the fragrance is making a lot more sense.

p.s. Mike, thanks for starting this thread. You know me and my sampling, always late to the party haha... I totally get the "warming sensation" with this. The picture of the Phoenix is so incredibly apt for this firey fragrace! The mind fills with burning reds and yellows and ashy grays and blacks. I am really excited by this, though I'm not sure I'd want to own it.
    Last edited by nthny; 24th April 2009 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    SL's SN is one of my best buys of 2008. I use it here in our tropical and humid climate so most of the notes are heightened. I always detect a fleeting camphorous note. Sillage is quite respectable and the scent lasts all through working hours and even till night.
    Like several other fragrances, (Gris Clair, Eau des Iles, Terre d'Hermes, Millesime Imperial) I think sunlight and humidity (whether it's generated by your body heat, or else the weather) is totally the key to whether or not this fragrance works and lasts.

I had the same experience described by galamb_borong and vibert. It's fantastic for 5 minutes, and then turns into scratchy ashes for 2 minutes before it utterly disappears. But when I wore it in the sun when I went for a walk, it stayed alive alot longer.

Although this one smells like winter, it works in summer!
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 24th April 2009 at 05:46 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    Like several other fragrances, (Gris Clair, Eau des Iles, Terre d'Hermes, Millesime Imperial) I think sunlight and humidity (whether it's generated by your body heat, or else the weather) is totally the key to whether or not this fragrance works and lasts.

I had the same experience described by galamb_borong and vibert. It's fantastic for 5 minutes, and then turns into scratchy ashes for 2 minutes before it utterly disappears. But when I wore it in the sun when I went for a walk, it stayed alive alot longer.

Although this one smells like winter, it works in summer!
    It disappeared on you??? It lasted a reaaallllyyyy long time on me...too long in fact.

It's okay, but I wouldn't buy a bottle. Too strong for me.

I've been wanting to try this for some time but forgot to add it to my recent (and rare) TPC order. Oopsy .

All this talk of it fading to a strong cedar note and disappearing rather quickly makes me wonder if it's not just overdosed with Iso E Super. For those familiar with Iso E Super.. do you think that is the case here?

I have a feeling that is the case with the new formulation of C&S Frankincense and Myrrh. It's nice for a short while but then becomes predominantly a smooth IES style cedar note and disappears pretty quick.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    It disappeared on you??? It lasted a reaaallllyyyy long time on me...too long in fact.

It's okay, but I wouldn't buy a bottle. Too strong for me.
    That's funny - I guess as you're living in TO I won't bother asking if you live in a hot sunny climate! What season did you try it out in?

I had to put a lot on and go dancing to be able to feel it for longer than 20 minutes!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I've been wanting to try this for some time but forgot to add it to my recent (and rare) TPC order. Oopsy .

All this talk of it fading to a strong cedar note and disappearing rather quickly makes me wonder if it's not just overdosed with Iso E Super. For those familiar with Iso E Super.. do you think that is the case here?

I have a feeling that is the case with the new formulation of C&S Frankincense and Myrrh. It's nice for a short while but then becomes predominantly a smooth IES style cedar note and disappears pretty quick.
    I don't know what Iso E Super smells like on it's own, though I know Terre which is supposedly full of it, but I don't detect much cedar, (or fake cedar!) in any stage of Serge Noire. It fades to lightly spiced, dessicated scratchy rock dust on me.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Rock dust? Clove cigarettes. My god I need to try this, soon.

Ok, another question. How similar is it to Jaisalmer? To me, Jaisalmer smells a LOT like a pack of clove cigs.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Rock dust? Clove cigarettes. My god I need to try this, soon.

Ok, another question. How similar is it to Jaisalmer? To me, Jaisalmer smells a LOT like a pack of clove cigs.
    SN has that skanky, mentholated opening that Jaisalmer doesn't. Plus the cinnamon in SN is much more integrated into the entire scent...top / middle / base.

Jaisalmer is very sharp and aldehydic with it's blast of spice at the top notes and then it has that fizzy, wood, incense thing afterwards.

The only thing that is similar about them is they both have spice and incense. Besides that I see them as different scents. Also, I think Jaisalmer is an easy to wear, anytime, any day kind of scent. SN is much more chilling, serious, introspective. I, personally, only wear it on Sunday evenings. It's that kind of scent, to me.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 24th April 2009 at 06:29 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Sounds. Too. Good.

I find that it's important to first sample a frag under the "right circumstances" or else I might inadvertantly write off a great frag. For instance, I first sampled M7 in the summer and almost gave up on what is now one of my favorites. Is SN wearable in the summer, or do you think it would be wiser to wait until fall or winter to sample it?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    That's funny - I guess as you're living in TO I won't bother asking if you live in a hot sunny climate! What season did you try it out in?

I had to put a lot on and go dancing to be able to feel it for longer than 20 minutes!

I don't know what Iso E Super smells like on it's own, though I know Terre which is supposedly full of it, but I don't detect much cedar, (or fake cedar!) in any stage of Serge Noire. It fades to lightly spiced, dessicated scratchy rock dust on me.
    Actually just tested it this week. Sprayed a tiny bit on my wrist before work, and could easily smell it at the end of the day. Maybe there's a synthetic in there you're anosmic to or something...very strange. Maybe I'm just hypersensitive!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Is SN wearable in the summer, or do you think it would be wiser to wait until fall or winter to sample it?
    Only if you are indoors, in air conditioning. It is not a summer scent. If I were you I'd wait until cooler temps.

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    it smells somehow like PIPER NIGRUM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moreda View Post
    it smells somehow like PIPER NIGRUM.

i agree..it has tht Vicks Vaporub effect...but pretty camp-fire smoky...it's somewht like Durbano's Black Tourmaline light...but better than BT in it's dry down...

Post Thanks / Like

I finally made my pilgrimage to Scent Bar a few days ago, and sampled Serge Noire there. It left an impression, for sure.

I loved it on the smelling strip, counted it among the possible purchases, but then sprayed it on my skin. Evidently SN is very subject to body chemistry because on my skin it instantly turned to chicken soup. Unmistakeable. Alarming. Disappointing.

What the hell is that chicken soup accord? Fenugreek? Immortelle? Whatever it is, it SO does not work with my body chemistry. Ack.

Broke my heart.
    Last edited by andylama; 4th May 2009 at 09:28 PM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    ...I loved it on the smelling strip, counted it among the possible purchases, but then sprayed it on my skin. Evidently SN is very subject to body chemistry because on my skin it instantly turned to chicken soup. Unmistakeable. Alarming. Disappointing.

What the hell is that chicken soup accord? Fenugreek? Immortelle? Whatever it is, it SO does not work with my body chemistry. Ack...
    How sad. I get no immortelle (chicken soup) note in SN, thank goodness! I do get a large helping of it in El Attarine by SL (and Fougere Bengale by Parfum d' Empire).
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 4th May 2009 at 09:38 PM.

-- Jack Kerouac

How sad. I get no immortelle (chicken soup) note in SN, thank goodness! I do get a large helping of it in El Attarine by SL (and Fougere Bengale by Parfum d' Empire).
    What's wrong with immortelle :-) . Admitedly very hard note to pull off. I own Sables and I prefer to wear it in private. But I guess being exposed to turkish and middle eastern cuisine makes one more open to its weirdness....

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cpk View Post
    What's wrong with immortelle :-) . Admitedly very hard note to pull off. I own Sables and I prefer to wear it in private. But I guess being exposed to turkish and middle eastern cuisine makes one more open to its weirdness....
    Immortelle done right, smells wonderful. I love Eau Noire and Sables. But when blended with certain other notes, the chicken soup effect happens for certain noses, mine included.

Which is what I find so odd in Andylama's experience, since I am almost certain there isn't immortelle in SN.

-- Jack Kerouac