Code of Conduct

Default How I Learned to Love Perfumes

I would like to tell you a little bit about myself and explain why (I think) I developed a love for and an obsession over perfumes. Some of you may identify with one or another aspect of my story.

During my teenage years, I was very interested in perfumes, but had no money to buy many bottles and no access to good information about fragrances and perfume-making. I relied on female friends and relatives to give me suggestions. Some of the first perfumes I owned were Polo, Azzaro, Jazz, Gucci, and perfumes by "O Boticario", a brazilian brand.

After I grew up and entered college (Mec. Engineering), I simply forgot about my passion for scents, without even noticing it. Somehow it didn't feel right to spend money and time on perfumes. In college, I spent my entire day around men. There was only one woman in our class and nobody wore perfumes. If I wore one, I would probably receive nasty comments from my classmates. It was an environment where machismo ruled. it was very competitive and not so friendly. An interest in perfumes would be considered a weakness or even worse, a sign that you were gay.

It was only when I came here to the US, many years later, that I became interested in perfumes again. There are many reasons for this. The first is that here there was no danger to wear perfumes. People were friendly. The second is that I stopped smoking, and my sense of smell was amplified. When I smoked, I was not capable of sensing delicate or subtle smells, due to sinusitis. The third reason is that I am not exploring my other senses as well as I did before, so I compensated the lack of sensorial experiences by dedicating myself to fragrances. I don't have a full kitchen, so I cannot cook very good food. I am currently taking a medication that prevents me from drinking alcohol, so I cannot explore one of my previous hobbies, wine tasting. Also, during the last 3 years the focus of my life has been on teaching and doing research, and I had little time to dedicate to either love or sex. So, perfumes, music, books and movies are all that I have right now. I tend to get very obsessed about every hobby that I take, and indeed I became very obsessed about perfumes. I now have a very good collection, although modest compared to some by other basenoters.

I just wanted to tell you how I fell in love with perfumes and thank all of you for having helped me with so much information, suggestions and camaraderie.

Thanks, guys!

Lucius
    Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 15th August 2008 at 03:41 AM.

Default Re: How I Learned to Love Perfumes

And thank YOU, Lucius, for starting some very interesting threads. I never would have guessed you were shy, as you stated in the "match a fragrance to the person above" thread.

I'm adding this edit to clarify that my statement could be misinterpreted as sarcasm, or an insult. It's meant to be complimentary.
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 15th August 2008 at 03:53 AM.

Good anecdotal threads - you should start a blog !
    -

Blog Entries

Thanks for the history - very interesting! And I agree with BnB - it's always interesting to see your new threads on Basenotes. If I don't respond to all of them, it's only because I simply don't have enough time to devote to all the basenoting I'd like to be doing.

Ciao!

-Red

I second the others, I also appreciate your new threads. You are an extremely sensorial person Lucius, we've got a lot in common.

In which country were you before ?
    Last edited by Night; 15th August 2008 at 06:52 AM.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Hi Night, I am originally from Brazil. I was born in the northeast region, but lived in Sao Paulo (southeast) for 13 years before coming to the US. Now I live in Boston.

I'm glad you guys like my threads. I do try to captivate the readers.

Great reading Luscious .
    I reckon every newbie here should introduce themselves this way whilst new .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

I love this type of threads. How about a follow up on how your fragrance hobby affected your other senses during this time? For me (although I am not quite sure if this is something I've learned through fragrance), almost 8 months into this hobby, I enjoy food in ways that I did not. Even music, I've started appreciating music in ways I never though possible.
    Last edited by Mostapha; 15th August 2008 at 11:28 AM.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Basenotes Plus

It is very interesting to read your story, Lucius!
    My introduction to the perfume hobby was also triggered by quitting smoking! I had almost never used perfume before, but after I got my sense of smell back, I was thinking about how to get something positive from quitting, and distract me from wanting to start again. So I figured that the world of perfumes would be very interesting to explore. After a not very successful blind buy of Cool Water, I decided to do better research before buying the next one, so I googled around a bit and found Basenotes. From that point, my story develops in a very predictable manner...
    I love cologne.

It's recognisable what you say about obsession for hobbies. I also am obsessed with every hobby I have, I can't do a hobby casually.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Mostapha, I believe that a good part of the perceived taste of food is actually due to the smell. Have you tried to eat very good food when you had a flu? The taste is not the same!

So, when we develop our noses and become trained to identify smells, we are automatically being trained to better apreciate food. I am sure that basenoters are more proficient in detecting "notes" in food than the average person.

I believe that, for many people, loving perfumes is just part of an overall attitude towards life and the senses. That is why I created that post about Hedonism. I think that love for scents cannot be completely separated from the love for the other kinds of sensorial experiences. Including sex, food, music, visuals and art in general.

I share a pretty similar experience with quitting smoking. I had always had an interest in scents even before, and wore SMW, Azzaro Visit, and Burberry London, among others. However, after quitting, I decided to really invest more energy into the hobby because of my newly heightened sense of smell and partly as a reward to myself... and I'm sure glad I did! I'm also much better in the kitchen now too!
    Last edited by jrd4t; 15th August 2008 at 02:55 PM.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Basenotes Institution

I agree with you Lucius - a clear nose (from nicotine, etc.) is a more aware nose.

Your love of fragrances comes through in all of your posts - which is why a lot of us can identify with it.

Thank you for sharing that great story. Wonderful thread!
    It would be great if you update your wardrobe to share with your fellow Basenote members.

you really are such a class act Paulo. It's good to know more about your life including, but not limited to, fragrance.
    If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that”--Von Goethe

top favorites: bois d'argent, havana, jaipur, amber sultan, fumerie turque, chergui, l'homme sage
    willing to swap/sell everything but my lutens. shoot me a pm