Code of Conduct

Question Reccomendations for a young professional

Hi guys, im new to the forums but i have been reading all the reviews for a while now. I have never been much of a perfume enthusiast till recently. I used to use a perfume i got as a present till it finished and when it did ii never bothered to go out and buy one till now. I will be starting work in an accounting firm and everyone seems to be classy professionals and have this modern city atmosphere in the office. I just want a fragrance/s that would let me blend in and potray the whole modern city boy feel that has been introduced to me. Have always been a party boy back in university and this new atmosphere would take much getting used to, and im in my mid 20s. Here is a list of EDT's i have own or have owned in the past:

Perry Ellis - Red (used to like this a lot but it was 2 years ago when i wasnt into perfumes)
    Sean Jean - Unforgivable ( love this but i just finished it recently)
    JPG - Le male (very long lasting and somehow reminds me of fragrant talcum powder, suitable for work?)
    Vera Wang for Men (absolutely adore this one, but i feel the longetivity sucks)
    Armani - Attitude ( got this as a present recently, not really feeling this one, dont know why)
    Burberry - Brit ( this one is nice, the beginning smells kinda weird but after a while it starts smelling good)

I want to buy 2/3 more to add to my current collection and need help deciding, have made a list of EDT's i like. I want something to wear to the office and go out clubbing/dates, go out in general. I have no idea about daywear and evening wear so if someone could suggest which ones which i would greatly appreciate it. A list of some i plan to get ( feel free to suggest other ones to me):

Terre D'Hermes
    Issey Miyake - L'eau D'Issey Homme
    Armani - Black Code
    Kenneth Cole - Black
    Gucci - Envy

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply to my umm noobish questions.

Smile Re: Reccomendations for a young professional

Sounds like a job for Guerlain L'Instant EDP.. Great longevity and clubbing scent.. Same goes for YSL Body Kouros (Similar to Le Male but better quality) .. Another one is Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin (Brilliant stuff)

Creed-Green Irish Tweed.. Excellent for the office..

Gucci Envy is a good choice of yours.. This is an evening/clubbing scent!

Also.. Try Geir by Geir Ness.. Very long lasting and a very nice smell indeedll!
    Last edited by deck89; 15th August 2008 at 05:29 PM.

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Default Re: Reccomendations for a young professional

I have read lots of reviews about the creed - green irish tweed and it is top of my list once i start making some money, i am on a tight budget so creed is way beyond me for now. I would most certainly be going out and testing the rest though. Thanks.

Another question, kinda out of topic but its been on my mind for sometime, does smoking affect the longetivity of a scent and does it alter it altogether?

Off-Scenter

Of the scents you've been considering, Terre d'Hermes would make a nice, civilized office scent, though in my opinion it's rather unexciting. If you like Unforgivable you could replace it with the similar but more sophisticated Green Irish Tweed or Silver Mountain Water, or the softer, creamier Diesel Fuel for Life. Other ideas for a good, crisp, and sophisticated office scent are Eau Sauvage, Declaration, Fou d'Absinthe, Geir, Tam Dao, Guerlain's Vetiver, Eau de Guerlain, Devin, or Tuscany. If you really want a fragrance that says "Respect me!" try Caron Pour un Homme, Iris Bleu Gris or Santal Noble, too.

For going out/romance, give any among Jaipur Homme Eau de Parfum, Lolita Lempicka, L'Anarchiste, The 3rd Man, New York, Musc Ravageur, Acier Aluminium, Ambre Precieux, Ambre Sultane, Jicky, Mechant Loup, or Eau Lente. These are all more sensuous and seductive scents: probably not appropriate for work, but good for when you want to make a "statement."
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 16th August 2008 at 12:09 AM.

Wow that is an impressive list, i want something modern and fresh and easy on the nose, the "Respect Me!" statement is best saved after a promotion

Im going to give Lolita Lempicka a go since both of you mentioned that. Still undecided on my office wear, wish i had the cash for Green Irish Tweed though.

Just another noobish question, whats the meaning of Fraicheur Spray? is it the same as EDT spray?

Dependent

Imma huge fan of LDIssey and its great for day wear, if it helps i have 5 125ml bottles lol. oh and Gucci envy is great too.... it a btter version of CK contradiction, less sweet and more woodsy. Its a lil Eau Sauvage at the beginning but less citrus than the ES. Also i cant help but mentinon Fahrenheit
    Last edited by MFJ; 15th August 2008 at 08:45 PM.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
    Wow that is an impressive list, i want something modern and fresh and easy on the nose, the "Respect Me!" statement is best saved after a promotion

Im going to give Lolita Lempicka a go since both of you mentioned that. Still undecided on my office wear, wish i had the cash for Green Irish Tweed though.

Just another noobish question, whats the meaning of Fraicheur Spray? is it the same as EDT spray?
    If you want something more-or-less in the Green Irish Tweed realm, but more affordable, try Geir and Diesel Fuel for Life. Neither is identical to the Creed, but both might hold similar appeal.

"Fraicheur" is part of the fragrance's name, not a concentration level. It often denotes the "fresh" (read toothless aquatic,) version (flanker) of the scent it's appended to, as in "Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir." In mnany cases the "fraicheur" flanker will bear no resemblance to the original scent at all - that is besides the label.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 16th August 2008 at 12:15 AM.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Of the scents you've been considering, Terre d'Hermes would make a nice, civilized office scent, though in my opinion it's rather unexciting. If you like Unforgivable you could replace it with the similar but more sophisticated Green Irish Tweed or Silver Mountain Water, or the softer, creamier Diesel Fuel for Life. Other ideas for a good, crisp, and sophisticated office scent are Eau Sauvage, Declaration, Fou d'Absinthe, Geir, Tam Dao, Guerlain's Vetiver, Eau de Guerlain, Devin, or Tuscany. If you really want a fragrance that says "Respect me!" try Caron Pour un Homme, Iris Bleu Gris or Santal Noble, too.

For going out/romance, give any among Jaipur Homme Eau de Parfum, Lolita Lempicka, L'Anarchiste, The 3rd Man, New York, Musc Ravageur, Acier Aluminium, Ambre Precieux, Ambre Sultane, Jicky, Mechant Loup, or Eau Lente. These are all more sensuous and seductive scents: probably not appropriate for work, but good for when you want to make a "statement."
    of those mentioned, i can safely 2nd vote for ES and Tuscany coz i use them for office wear. I would group Contradiction, Envy, ES, together coz they have very similar openings. ES would of course be the raw original citrus powerhouse, but i found envy to be a bit less intense in the opening. I love all of Aramis so Tuscany is a sure sure. Contradiction can be a little too sweet and turn a little sour.... bad sillage? well let us know how it goes on your search... And if you find Issey pleasant enough, you realise that it had one of the best floral notes IMO. very metrosexual and almost bordering unisex, but its an overall male specific scent that is a fave among the ladies as well. Id skip on Terres if you already have envy on the list. If your looking to add 2 to the collection, LDIssey is always pleasant and above the average citurs floral scent, tho some may find it plastic. couple Issey with Envy, and i think u have a pretty good variation to fit your profile
    Last edited by MFJ; 16th August 2008 at 05:38 AM.

Based on these suggestions i have ordered some samples, as for my night wear i will probably go with Lolita Lempicka, such an exotic name. My office wear would be Eau Savage, Geir or Terre Hermes. Fuel For Life somehow smells a bit too laid back, not my choice for office wear. I think i might turn into a perfume addict once i start to spend more time here

Anyone can suggest to me something that smells similar to Vera Wang for Men with better longetivity? I love that scent but no matter how much i put (6 sprays max) no one seems to notice and its gone within 2-3 hours.

Dependent

Based on these suggestions i have ordered some samples, as for my night wear i will probably go with Lolita Lempicka, such an exotic name. My office wear would be Eau Savage, Geir or Terre Hermes. Fuel For Life somehow smells a bit too laid back, not my choice for office wear. I think i might turn into a perfume addict once i start to spend more time here

Anyone can suggest to me something that smells similar to Vera Wang for Men with better longetivity? I love that scent but no matter how much i put (6 sprays max) no one seems to notice and its gone within 2-3 hours.
    VW is another what i would call a contemporary classic. Tho its so so for me, it does have some distinctions. Just perspective, if your going for ES for office, you may want to skip VW types, since both are more of the masculine type scent, tho VW pales by miles. It seems the ones you have roughly have decided on are pretty strong scents. ES is one of my all time faves too. Maybe something a little more metrosexual like Loewe Solo, Fahrenheit 32, Bvlgari Extreme(I highly recommend), Bvlgari Aqva(another one i back up on), not forgetting LDIssey... these are above average contemporary scents that would offer some variation from the ES and Lempicka that you have your sights on.... but rem to stick to what u feel is best, and it doesnt matter what the rest think, as long as u feel good in them anyways PM sent on some reccomendations that u can consider

Bvlgari pour Homme is appropriate for an office. You could empty half a bottle and it still wont be overpowering.
    Out of the ones suggested so far, Terre d'Hermes is also a safe bet. I used to wear Rive Gauche for job interviews, however I got rid of that recently.
    Also a very light spray of Kouros will cement you as 'meaning business.'
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Thanks for all the replies, i couldnt resist and did a blind buy of Lolita Lempicka, the reviews and suggestions and the description just made me click the buy it now button. Am still considering my office wear, have ordered samples of terre, geir, eau savage, issey. Thinking of trying some bvlgari ones(samples) too but thats for my next buy, dont wanna overspend this month

Of the ones i own now, can Burberry Brit, VW, JPG Le male and Armani Attitude be used for the office or should they be used as a casual (park,gym,mall) or a clubbing scent?

I have always associated Kouros to a older, more distinguished kinda person, as my dad used to use it when i was 10. Dont think i could pull it off

Dependent

Thanks for all the replies, i couldnt resist and did a blind buy of Lolita Lempicka, the reviews and suggestions and the description just made me click the buy it now button. Am still considering my office wear, have ordered samples of terre, geir, eau savage, issey. Thinking of trying some bvlgari ones(samples) too but thats for my next buy, dont wanna overspend this month

Of the ones i own now, can Burberry Brit, VW, JPG Le male and Armani Attitude be used for the office or should they be used as a casual (park,gym,mall) or a clubbing scent?

I have always associated Kouros to a older, more distinguished kinda person, as my dad used to use it when i was 10. Dont think i could pull it off
    My grandfather used Eau Sauvage in the late 60s all thru his last days... Ive 4 of the older burbs and Brit or london are fine for work. I would use Le Male and Attitude in a club Eau Sauvage is great to start of a day with a nice splash to work...

as with all oldies, its either love or hate, eg i love gentleman, ES, Paco Rabanne PH, Fahrenheit(not too old), but i just dont like Antaeus at all.. Kouros is one of the oldies that i can pass on coz it doesnt appeal like the rest. Dont worry too much about it buddy, so long as you feel nice wearing what u do, then its settled... As it is, you already have a good set of frags to begin with. Just add on slowly. the classics will always have a distinctive scent, whereas the current fashion is to go fresh in the mainstream coz its easier to appeal to masses.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Clueless

For what it's worth I think you may like Terre d'Hermes and Eau Savage judging by your previous fragrances. I don't know if I (personally) would wear Le Male to work, but moderation is key; don't overapply and many fragrances take on surprising dynamics. Quorum, one of my favorite patchouli rascals, is altogether tolerable in small doses.

Out of those four, I would go with the Vera Wang, but I haven't tried Attitude (tried the other three).

Additional recommendations for a young professional would be Armani Code as you already touched on, Unforgivable is very versatile as you've found out. I would not blindly buy Creed especially Green Irish Tweed, it has it's fans but many also do not like it at all. I'd also recommend taking a look at Antidote by Viktor & Rolf.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Does anyone have a good UK based sites to buy samples? Most of the sites posted on this forum is in the US and me being in UK dont wanna end up paying extra costs (VAT,customs etc) when buying loads of samples

Dependent

Does anyone have a good UK based sites to buy samples? Most of the sites posted on this forum is in the US and me being in UK dont wanna end up paying extra costs (VAT,customs etc) when buying loads of samples
    PM sent about samples

Just an update. Thought i would breakdown my point of view of the samples of a few fragrances.

GIT : I have no idea why so many people give such a high rating to this one, smells like soap + bleach to me, reminds me of a bar soap called Z'est my housemate used to use, hate it.
    Imperial Millesime : Amazing, this is a more sophisticated and a more refined version of Unforgivable IMO, kinda lasts for 5-6 hours on me, so that sucks.
    Terre D'Hermes : Can see why some people said it was a safe scent, it was refrshing and totally unoffensive, bought a bottle.
    Body Kouros : A much better version of JPG Le Male, nice and sweet, my nephew said i smell like a lollipop, long lasting, would definately buy this.
    Jaipur PH : Very nice, subtle spice, very relaxing and sensual. I tried the EDP version, would get this later on.
    Gucci Envy: Wow the spicyness in this frag caught me off guard, i mean i could actually smell the clove? cardomam? not sure what the spice is called lol. Died down quite nicely, a bit undecided on this one.
    Lolita Lempicka : Very, very nice, my ex told me i smelled good enough to eat. Was unsure at first coz i swear it smelt like diabetes piss (dont ask) but i started to like it after the first hour. Thank god i dont regret my first blind buy.
    Eau Savage + Geir : I mean it was just a spray on the paper thingy, didnt really stand out IMO, still undecided about my last 'not so safe' office wear frag.

Another question, kinda out of topic but its been on my mind for sometime, does smoking affect the longetivity of a scent and does it alter it altogether?
    Ciggies smell nasty... I would love to say if you care about how you smell, you need to give up, but I wont...oh wait, I just did

John Varvatos. A relatively mild spicy, woody fragrance. Unlikely to offend anyone (not too much sillage).

Why don't you try Dior's Homme? I Can't pick out individual notes. I know it's soft to the nose, slowly fills the space around you and lasts a good while. It's pure beauty. It makes the other power houses in my collection feel ashamed with its finesse and class.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

Dude, I am going to give you the best advice here, don't listen these reviews!

We can give you 10,000,000 reviews of each cologne you mentioned, but the fact remains, as always, you must try each on your own skin and see how it reacts to your skin, because each reviewers review, although helpful, is very biased because they are speaking to how each scent reacted to their own skin. These reviews are only helpful in the sense that they may get you to try new fragrances and open your eyes to fragrances you never knew existed or never thought existed. I think this is exceptionally valuable, but the fact remains your skin is the deciding factor.

The fragrances you mentioned are available at any mall, i.e., Macy's, Filene's, Barney's, Sephora, etc... In any event, pound the pavement, so to speak, and get out there!!!
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 5th September 2008 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    Dude, I am going to give you the best advice here, don't listen these reviews!

We can give you 10,000,000 reviews of each cologne you mentioned, but the fact remains, as always, you must try each on your own skin and see how it reacts to your skin,
    While this is by and large good advice, I 'm not sure how useful it is in a thread where someone is asking for suggestions.
    Last edited by surreality; 5th September 2008 at 02:14 AM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

While this is by and large good advice, I 'm not sure how useful it is in a thread where someone is asking for suggestions.
    This is from my last post: "These reviews are only helpful in the sense that they may get you to try new fragrances and open your eyes to fragrances you never knew existed or never thought existed." Now, to be clearer, i think my comment about "not [listening] to the reviews" and ignoring them was a bit misleading and should have been revised accordingly as i acknowledge that it is confusing.

My post acknowledges your point and actually speaks to it. I was simply implying and cautioning him that these suggestions are wonderful but it is not, by any means, the last step in the process. i was concerned he may go out there and buy without testing. Now, given the fact that he is a "new member" he may not have heard this advice before. When i first started i bought without smelling and i got a scent that i hated. With that said, i think you were reading it a bit out of context but thanks for pointing that out.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 5th September 2008 at 02:35 AM.