Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Burr gives Beyond Paradise by Lauder 4 stars & Island Hawaii M. Kors 2 stars

'...Island Michael Kors Hawaii doesn’t conjure the smell of tropical air; it’s a scent cue of the idea, like a postcard from Waikiki. It’s not bad per se; it simply isn’t good....'

__

'...thunderstorms. Rather, it combines the abstract smell of hot sand with the indistinct aroma of hibiscus and blue jacaranda against the background of humid swelter...'

Funny I haven't smelled either one of these scents...

The full reviews, from a preview of this coming Sunday's T Magazine (Fall Fashion Issue) in the New York Times, can be read in full here
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 15th August 2008 at 06:09 PM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Default Re: Burr gives Beyond Paradise by Lauder 4 stars & Island Hawaii M. Kors 2 stars

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    '...Island Michael Kors Hawaii doesnít conjure the smell of tropical air; itís a scent cue of the idea, like a postcard from Waikiki. Itís not bad per se; it simply isnít good....'

__

'...thunderstorms. Rather, it combines the abstract smell of hot sand with the indistinct aroma of hibiscus and blue jacaranda against the background of humid swelter...'

Funny I haven't smelled either one of these scents...

The full reviews, from a preview of this coming Sunday's T Magazine (Fall Fashion Issue) in the New York Times, can be read in full here
    Interesting to note he also gives 4 stars (excellent) to Creed Virgin Island Water in the same article.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Burr gives Beyond Paradise by Lauder 4 stars & Island Hawaii M. Kors 2 stars

I really don't think he should have even reviewed Island Hawaii, it's quite bad. He should have included Bronze Goddess by Estee Lauder in this article. It's just as good as VIW.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 16th August 2008 at 05:23 PM.

Hmm. There we go with the Beyond Paradise again. I've tried for years to fall in love with this one, but to no avail.

Beyond Paradise is an odd one - when it first launched and someone shoved it under my nose on a blotter, I thought it was unpleasant, too synthetic and I also didn't like the bottle...

When testing other perfumes few months ago, I sprayed it on my arm just to see what all the fuss was about. I'm a fan of florals, so the first impression was: "Hmm, well, it's not like I remember it on the blotter - quite pleasant in fact, but a bit like expensive fabric softener. Huh."

And it was about an hour or so in that I suddenly started thinking: "Where is that wonderful smell coming from?" and realised it was my arm with Beyond Paradise on it.

One to test on skin for sure. I had to eat my hat.

I don't "get" Beyond Paradise; never have, never will. I take it BP is something I'm supposed to like--or at least admire for academic reasons well beyond my comprehension--and yet I cannot. I have returned to it with some focus, hoping that this time it will appeal; I have returned to it casually and carelessly, knowing it won't but urging it anyway.

Island Hawaii has the same relationship to the islands that canned pineapple does; ain't no substitute for the real thing. Canned is never the same as being there and experiencing it in the flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Hmm. There we go with the Beyond Paradise again. I've tried for years to fall in love with this one, but to no avail.
    Ditto. Doesn't work for me at all.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

I don't like the female version either...it's a fake banana mess on my skin...
    The only BP i can pass and love BTW is BPBlue, which has a few tweaks that made it much more wearable and fresher for me and a lot more people it seems...
    and if he likes VIW that much, he should give a review of B&BW's Coconut Lime Verbena, which is a VIW mirage, if you will... (and heaps cheaper).

cheers
    CP

Last time I tried to test Beyond Paradise I squirted myself in the eye with the juice.
    I just don't think it's meant to be...
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    Beyond Paradise is an odd one - when it first launched and someone shoved it under my nose on a blotter, I thought it was unpleasant, too synthetic and I also didn't like the bottle...

When testing other perfumes few months ago, I sprayed it on my arm just to see what all the fuss was about. I'm a fan of florals, so the first impression was: "Hmm, well, it's not like I remember it on the blotter - quite pleasant in fact, but a bit like expensive fabric softener. Huh."

And it was about an hour or so in that I suddenly started thinking: "Where is that wonderful smell coming from?" and realised it was my arm with Beyond Paradise on it.

One to test on skin for sure. I had to eat my hat.
    I had the same experience and have had to eat my words, too (I've been eating my words about other Estee Lauder fragrances as well). I wore Beyond Paradise on Friday as a matter of fact and received a compliment from my husband on it. It's one I rarely reach for, but when I do it smells so nice on me that I wonder why I don't. I find it rather bath powdery, very pleasant and enjoyable. I like it, but I still don't get all the fuss either. It's nice, but it's not that magnificent. Something else is going on there. Even people who enjoy it don't rave about it like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Last time I tried to test Beyond Paradise I squirted myself in the eye with the juice.
    I just don't think it's meant to be...
    LOL! (Literally!)
    Aww... *wipes tears from eyes* thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I had the same experience and have had to eat my words, too (I've been eating my words about other Estee Lauder fragrances as well). I wore Beyond Paradise on Friday as a matter of fact and received a compliment from my husband on it. It's one I rarely reach for, but when I do it smells so nice on me that I wonder why I don't. I find it rather bath powdery, very pleasant and enjoyable. I like it, but I still don't get all the fuss either. It's nice, but it's not that magnificent. Something else is going on there. Even people who enjoy it don't rave about it like that.
    I'd agree with that - it's like a really good manicure, or a comfortable pair of pyjamas - you sort of appreciate the soft edges, good work and comfort, but don't want to wax lyrical about the poetry of craftsmanship either. I very much enjoy Beyond Paradise when I wear it; it has a kind of aura of loveliness about it, but it doesn't make my eyes widen and heart quicken like, say, Guerlain or Lutens

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    and if he likes VIW that much, he should give a review of B&BW's Coconut Lime Verbena, which is a VIW mirage, if you will... (and heaps cheaper).

cheers
    CP
    "Hi Burr here...heres a review, especially for you. CLV (Coconut Lime Vanilla)...Decent lime....mmmm coconut and soft vanilla.....thump! And thats the end of the island paradise show from Bath and Body Works. No complex middle notes of cane and florals, no rum, and no interplay between the phases. Its a mirage indeed."
    -