Code of Conduct

Default Tauer Fragrances

What a great day it was yesterday.. I got to try a few Creed fragrances I'd been meaning to sniff for a while and also was able to experience the highly acclaimed Andy Tauer line. I'll give my observations on Lonestar Memories and L'Air du Desert Morocain, though I did try all of the ones that were kindly recommended to me by fellow BN'ers on another thread.

Lonestar Memories - I can see why the box has a picture of a cowboy on it.. this one is irrefutably masculine. In fact it has quite a rough edge to it that I'm not sure I could pull off. Is that tar, as in new road tar I smelled? I definitely caught the leather and the smoke, dry woods, etc. There have been several geranium fragrances lately that are fueling my anticipation of Frederic Malle's Geranium Pour Homme. This is one of them. I don't think I could wear LM, but my hat's off to the fella who can.

L'Air du Desert Morocain - Definitely the winner of the ones I tried, and actually quite soft. The spice reminds me a bit of Villoresi's Spezie. And it's soft and slightly heavy at the same time, like the desert air! Very accurate portrayal of its title. I could see myself wearing this one, though I'm not sure I had any instant infatuation with any of the Tauer fragrances I sampled. Vetiver Dance would be an acquired taste and not, by any means, my favorite vetiver. I don't allow the titles to sway me too much in my assessment.. just look at Le Labo and see that many of their fragrances do not resemble their titles.

It brings up an important bias for me that I have to avoid - sampling a fragrance after knowing its name, bottle, and its reputation. I would prefer not to know these things now, as they most certainly sway my decisions. It's all part of the presentation.. but until I have it on my skin for a few full wearings I don't think I'd be doing justice to the fragrance in question.

Default Re: Tauer Fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    What a great day it was yesterday.. I got to try a few Creed fragrances I'd been meaning to sniff for a while and also was able to experience the highly acclaimed Andy Tauer line. I'll give my observations on Lonestar Memories and L'Air du Desert Morocain, though I did try all of the ones that were kindly recommended to me by fellow BN'ers on another thread.

Lonestar Memories - I can see why the box has a picture of a cowboy on it.. this one is irrefutably masculine. In fact it has quite a rough edge to it that I'm not sure I could pull off. Is that tar, as in new road tar I smelled? I definitely caught the leather and the smoke, dry woods, etc. There have been several geranium fragrances lately that are fueling my anticipation of Frederic Malle's Geranium Pour Homme. This is one of them. I don't think I could wear LM, but my hat's off to the fella who can.

L'Air du Desert Morocain - Definitely the winner of the ones I tried, and actually quite soft. The spice reminds me a bit of Villoresi's Spezie. And it's soft and slightly heavy at the same time, like the desert air! Very accurate portrayal of its title. I could see myself wearing this one, though I'm not sure I had any instant infatuation with any of the Tauer fragrances I sampled. Vetiver Dance would be an acquired taste and not, by any means, my favorite vetiver. I don't allow the titles to sway me too much in my assessment.. just look at Le Labo and see that many of their fragrances do not resemble their titles.

It brings up an important bias for me that I have to avoid - sampling a fragrance after knowing its name, bottle, and its reputation. I would prefer not to know these things now, as they most certainly sway my decisions. It's all part of the presentation.. but until I have it on my skin for a few full wearings I don't think I'd be doing justice to the fragrance in question.
    You bring up a very valid point, that being the benefit of smelling something "blind" without the influence of others. I'm not quite sure where I particularly stand on the issue, I'm certainly open to others opinions, and in the case I smell something, being aware of its reputation, I try my best to smell with an open mind.

Glad to hear you enjoyed L'Air, I really feel it is a must smell for everyone in this hobby.

I think you have just summed up everything I liked from Tauer's line.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

lovely reviews AnthonyDG..like Stereotomy pointed out..you have summed up this line so well.

Theres something very raw and direct about this line...i totally miss out on Lonestar M as i finished out my sample...and luckily, i own L'Air and enjoy it till the last molecule, (you would be surprised to see how brilliant this scent smells on a hot sunny afternoon).

Vetiver Dance would be the scent where tauer shedded his trademark raw and gritty approach and brought through refinement in his scents. i consider Vetiver Dance as Tauers (one of the) best effort.

other favorite from this line is, Incense Rose (unfortunately, this scent gives me rashes...something in it doesnt agree with my skin type).
    Last edited by jenson; 8th April 2009 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    ..and luckily, i own L'Air and enjoy it till the last molecule, (you would be surprised to see how brilliant this scent smells on a hot sunny afternoon).
    I totally agree!
    Last edited by Quixotiq; 8th April 2009 at 04:33 PM.

I agree totally with the above! It took me while to 'get' Vetiver Dance, but now I think it's really super awesome!

Also, even though it doesn't get much press, Incense Extreme is really good. Even though the title is 'extreme', it's light and airy, but very enjoyable. Very complex and nuanced!

I just tried Le Maroc Pour Elle last night (thanks Kumquat!) - it's a gorgeous floral and worth investigating!

What a super line!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Quixotiq View Post
    I totally agree!
    Thirded! I routinely wear my L'Air in 35 degrees C and above without any negative repercussions

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

L'Air is my favorite amber heavy fragrance.

Incense Rose is quite beautiful too. It smells great on my sister, but on my skin it turns acidic unfortunately.

Must have just missed you at the perfume shoppe?

I tried the ones you did as well, and you opinions perfectly mirror my own. I can't wait to try L'air this weekend more thoroughly Very interesting line

>>>>>>>>
    Quote Originally Posted by alacious View Post
    Must have just missed you at the perfume shoppe?

I tried the ones you did as well, and you opinions perfectly mirror my own. I can't wait to try L'air this weekend more thoroughly Very interesting line
    Last edited by AnthonyDG; 13th May 2010 at 01:58 AM.

L'Air is one of the most amazing scents out there. I am continually surprised at its depth. It is one of those rare scents that can work in warm or cold weather. Each seems to bring out something new it. I grew up in the desert and it reminds me of the smells that come out with the wind on at dusk. Absolutely perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    Thirded! I routinely wear my L'Air in 35 degrees C and above without any negative repercussions
    I always looked upon LaddM as a winter scent....I didn't expect it to be worn in the heat but now I must give it a try....

Quote Originally Posted by moss1310 View Post
    L'Air is one of the most amazing scents out there. I am continually surprised at its depth. It is one of those rare scents that can work in warm or cold weather. Each seems to bring out something new it. I grew up in the desert and it reminds me of the smells that come out with the wind on at dusk. Absolutely perfect!
    Completely agree. L'Air works beautifully at any temperature. But I think it works best when the air is dry. My SotD in fact.