Code of Conduct

Default "...so beautiful when we met, but then the morning after..."

Ever have a frag seem just glorious that first time you sprayed in on? Not just the topnotes, but all the way down? Outshining everything else you'd recently tried, making you jump for a full bottle?

I had just got a pile of samples and for the most part the frags were just okay, then the last two showed up and right on first spray Fleurs de Sel grabbed me. Over the hours of the dry down it really seemed that this could be "The one." I looked at the $220 price tag of a bottle and seriously considered it might be worth it. Trying to remember it now, it was smoothly tangy, bright, and fresh in an almost living-breathing way.

So today I gave it a full wear for the first time. Total disappointment, a wan, faded black and white vetiver lighty dusted with dull spice. Total yawn. Where did the beauty go? Seems like sniffing at a frag sprayed on your arm is a very different experience than spraying it in full wear and only catching its sillage.

Had the same thing happen with Terre d'Hermes. At the end of a long day of sampling it was a standout. I sprung for a full bottle. First time I tried to actually wear it I found the mineral accord nauseating. So too everytime after that. A full bottle, unwearable.

Anyone else suffer this nightmare?
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

Default Re: "...so beautiful when we met, but then the morning after..."

Your nose is broken.

Seriously, give it some time. Come back in a few weeks and try again. Things may change.

Whenever I sample a perfume, I give it some time to develop, so I can smell the basenotes clearly. That saves me from trouble. I have had many disappointments with perfumes, but those were all blind buys. I've never regretted buying a perfume that I had already tested.

Blog Entries

Oh, yeah - this happened to me. Creed Original Santal. I had total beer goggles on that one. Just blew me away in the store. Couldn't wait to wear it at home. But every time I tried wearing it, I never got the same effect. Just burning, burning, burning....

It was like meeting the girl of my dreams one night, remembering nothing, and waking up to find a hooker drinking my wine, rummaging through my drawers, and calling her boyfriend. Yeah, she's hot. Like one of those inedible peppers - plus enough sandalwood to take out a city block.

I'm hoping to rediscover my love for that scent, but so far no luck.

You're right, Lucius. It's important to let a perfume develop - completely. Nothing beats a full wear, maybe two or three. Blind and semi-blind topnote buys are the really dangerous ones.

There are some scents for which I've recovered the love. In some cases, it involved finding a better level of application - more or less. Layering is another option. I have a scent that I love much more now after discovering a really great layering combination.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Oh, yeah - this happened to me. Creed Original Santal. I had total beer goggles on that one. Just blew me away in the store. Couldn't wait to wear it at home. But every time I tried wearing it, I never got the same effect. Just burning, burning, burning.....
    That very well may have been attributable to Creeds inconsistent manufacturing of products. The reason why the sample you tried in the store was significantly different from the product you brought home was possibly because the juice you purchased was different from the tester you sampled.

Dior Homme did that to me. In the store I fell in love with it when I spray tested it on my arm, bought a full bottle only to discover later that as it approaches drydown SOMETHING in it makes my stomach churn. Had to get rid of it, and quickly.
    Last edited by Amit; 16th August 2008 at 10:00 AM. Reason: typo

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    Whenever I sample a perfume, I give it some time to develop, so I can smell the basenotes clearly. That saves me from trouble. I have had many disappointments with perfumes, but those were all blind buys. I've never regretted buying a perfume that I had already tested.

I adopt the same fashion, id wear a sample for a week in the get the best judgement. Its what i would normally advice others to as well...its easy for taste to change be it for or against a scent. For me personally, despite my impulsive habit, i usually get the best conslusion after a week's wear....

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    Dior Homme did that to me. In the store I fell in love with it when I spray tested it on my arm, bought a full bottle only to discover later that as it approaches drydown SOMETHING in it makes my stomach churn. Had to get rid of it, and quickly.
    I have this problem too when im in a frag shop... im not sure if its because of the mixture of scents that have been permeating thru the air in the shop or buyer's impulsion... but its happened to me with LDIssey Intense... Being a fan of the original, i took too lightly the sampling procedure. It ended up being sold within a week

Only after walking your boots you'll know if they really fit you
    Special to perfumes: things can work in both directions. I bought Terre d'Hermes and L'Air, because I liked them from the samples. Full wearings were something completely different. Still nice, but disturbing to annoying in ways I hadn't expected. In contrast Eau d'Hermes: I just wanted it in my collection, even though the sample didn't particularly excite me. Now it's also not the (better!) smells I get from full wearings. It's something completely different: I believe smelling my own skin, clean after a warm bath, and made smooth by some mildly scented cream. This Eau just makes me feel good! Strange, but very comfortable!
    Last edited by narcus; 16th August 2008 at 11:14 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Basenotes Institution

Gucci by Gucci (the womans)

Loved it! When I bought a bottle, it ended up smelling like Coca-Cola on me. Annoying as sh*t. Sold my bottle immediately.

Cacharel Amor pour Homme. At the store it smelt nice and refined. After a couple of days it began to smell like nice freshly ironed shirts. Now it just smells dull. Not bad, but not good either, just dull.
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Gucci by Gucci (the womans)

Loved it! When I bought a bottle, it ended up smelling like Coca-Cola on me. Annoying as sh*t. Sold my bottle immediately.
    I can really see how that could happen! That note in it (which I love on my wife) comes dangerously close to the old coke syrup medicine I remember from my youth. She has suggested several times that I try the scent, because she thinks it's just too strong for anything but serious evening wear, and she thinks it would smell really good on a guy. The fact is, if it went "cokey" on me, I would probably like it, and it wouldn't smell like it does on her (which I wouldn't want).

I think I will give it a try. Maybe at least some good will come from your bad experience. I'm also going to check out the new men's, although I'm not sure if it's going to be a completely different scent to me.

Blog Entries

i have to say, i've NEVER bought a fragrance i've been dissappointed with after i've tested it prior...i think my tastes are fairly specific...(leather, petrol, musk, and a few 70s/80s power frags)....so i really don't just take chances with anything after one test.

either i love it alot instantly, OR i try it many times on full wear before getting it.
    Last edited by everso; 17th August 2008 at 02:21 AM.

Morning Star

Boucheron Pour Homme is something that I enjoy a lot in the beginning and the middle. But as it makes its way to drydown, I typically have to "kill" its sourness with something more powerful. Kouros does yeoman's service in this regard, by the way. It's the Control-C of Fragrances.

Hey guys There are several which I "fell in love with" initially. Thankfully, I never trust myself and wait to order a sample or else I'd be the owner of Fou d'Absinthe and Mechant Loup... two I still REALLY like but would have been upset to have paid full price for. I now have decants of them and am much happier to spend full bottle money on other things.

Off-Scenter

Yeah, been down this road a few times myself. Pomegranate Noir was one occasion. I loved it for a while, but with repeated wearings it just seemed to get thicker and thicker, until it became positively oppressive. Vierges & Toreros was another one. for several wearings I was intrigued by the bad boy tuberose and leather accord, but over time I discovered a cloying, powdery element in the basenotes that became positively choking...and it wiouldn't wash off. Luckily I spared myself a bottle of that brew.

Fickle as I am, I sometimes just grow bored of a scent I have enjoyed and end the affair out of ennui. That's happend with Silver Mountain Water, Green Irish Tweed, JHL, Cuir Mauresque, L'Homme Sage, Mechant Loup, Sarrasins, Reflection Man, and CdG Carnation. I still think all of these are good, or even great scents, but I just lost interest in wearing them.