Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Upgrade my shave please.

I've about had it with the breakouts and redness on my neck from shaving and I'm looking to upgrade the experience somewhere. I'm using a typical Fusion razor, some Edge shaving gel, and Gilette aftershave gel. Typically I'll shave right after a shower, applying hot water to the face and neck, then lather up the gel and go to town. I'd really like to change the gel and maybe the aftershave, I have no problems with the razor itself as I get a nice close shave. I'd say my facial hair is average to coarse.

Bear in mind I live in Kentucky, a land of bad TV reception and no golf. Finding niche stuff will be difficult and usually results in blind-buying over the internet.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Default Re: Upgrade my shave please.

Check your local Walmart for a product called "Shave Secret." It's a blend of essential oils - clove, menthol, etc. Apply a few drops of this to your hands and rub into your face before shaving - shaving cream/gel is optional, I use just the Shave Secret. The oils not only coat the skin providing a nice slick surface for the blade to glide over, they also moisturize and kill pain (I think this is mostly do to the clove oil.)

It's cheap, it works (for me, at least), and it makes shaving around facial hair easier as without the need for shaving cream you can always see what you're doing. It's worth a shot, at least.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 7th April 2008 at 05:43 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

This might seem a bit pedantic, but it's not the shaving gel or aftershave causing the redness, so I wouldn't really assume they're the culprit (though yes, they might not do as good of a job at protecting your skin as other varieties). Either way, I'd recommend using a two-blade or three-blade for a while, see if that helps. Or just using more gel in the areas where you're more likely to get redness (for me, this is the whole neck).
    My limited 'drobe: Boss In Motion, Armani Code, Concentre d'Orange Verte, Paul Smith Story.

You could try switching to a safety razor. I made the transition in February, and I couldn't be happier. It's actually through DE shaving that I found basenotes, so I suppose the opposite direction would be a natural progression.

If you'd rather stick with your razor, just using a brush for lather would be a step in the right direction. There's madness abound when you start getting in to high-end shaving brushes, but $15 for a Tweezerman Badger on Amazon would be a nice entry, though you can find a boar bristle brush at Walmart/CVS/Walgreens for about $5. If you have a Crabtree & Evelyn their Best Badger Brush is considered to be the best you can find under $50. For creams/soaps, try Bath and Body Works for C.O. Bigelow creams, C&E, or Kiss My Face if you have a health food store nearby.

Check out www.badgerandblade.com, they're rather friendly, to say the least.

Blog Entries

Thanks to all of you for your input, this is an area I've never really explored. I found the Shave Secret at Wal-Mart for like three bucks along with a $5 boar bristle brush. I also went by Bath and Body Works and bought a tube of C.O. Bigelow eucalyptus shaving cream. I may eventually change razors but I've still got 2 brand new heads for my Fusion so I'll wait until those are spent. I'm going to look at the Badger & Blade videos tonight before I try some of this stuff out. Will update later.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Cool Re: Upgrade my shave please.

"Beard Lube" by Jack Black...has changed my shaving life!

I use Floris shave cream... that stuff is great! I got some free from them - I wrote them to request samples of the men's fragrances, but I think I wrote "men's line" - and so they sent samples of all their men's stuff (including all their fragrances!). I really like the shave cream... so smooth, and a light fresh (woody) scent. They don't appear overly expensive either.
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Highly recommend badger & blade, I post there (Thomas) and have gotten lots of excellent advise there on razors, soaps and creams. However, if you think these people are enablers, you should see the wetshavers. Holy smokes!

Actually, check the b/s/t forums for B&B and you'll probably score some excellent products, including razors.

Floris will send you samples, but I wasn't very impressed by their product. Trumper's will send a sampler set for the cost of shipping ($4 or so), and eShave has a pack of 5 creams and 3 balms for $20, plus a set of 2 and 2 for the cost of shipping when you register with the site. I really like eShave's products, and would suggest that anyone remotely interested in wetshaving give them a try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F5u28JfnCM

Hurray, a video I found on Badger and Blade that agrees with me! I feel so smart now.
    My limited 'drobe: Boss In Motion, Armani Code, Concentre d'Orange Verte, Paul Smith Story.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tfaust View Post
    Highly recommend badger & blade, I post there (Thomas) and have gotten lots of excellent advise there on razors, soaps and creams. However, if you think these people are enablers, you should see the wetshavers. Holy smokes!

Actually, check the b/s/t forums for B&B and you'll probably score some excellent products, including razors.
    I'm sorry but I draw the line at used razors. I don't want this to become a habit like my perfuming has become.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

The used razors actually seem to cause more trouble than new ones. Finding something shaveworthy under $10 won't be a problem, though, so no worries.

BTW, the cream you bought is actually made by a company called Proraso, and is generally considered a standard. Blades are about $.25 each, so that won't be a major cost. So, beyond that, the only thing that could possibly tempt you to blow more money would be brushes (personally, I don't see the big deal here, anyway).
    Last edited by Aerodyne; 8th April 2008 at 03:20 AM.

Blog Entries

Update. Watched mantic59's 3-part intro to wetshaving. Used the Bigelow cream and the boar-bristle brush, and the Fusion razor. Followed up with the Shave Secret instead of the normal Gilette AS gel.

It was nearly the best shave of my life, and definitely the most painless, the very first time. No breakouts yet and this is three days after shaving last, when I normal don't even consider it because it's too bristly and hard. I'm a changed man.
    Last edited by bluesoul; 8th April 2008 at 07:06 PM.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    I'm sorry but I draw the line at used razors. I don't want this to become a habit like my perfuming has become.
    heh, I said that once. Now I have a dozen straight razors and have more en route. The good news is that my ack binge has slowed down a bit.

I've about had it with the breakouts and redness on my neck from shaving and I'm looking to upgrade the experience somewhere. I'm using a typical Fusion razor, some Edge shaving gel, and Gilette aftershave gel. Typically I'll shave right after a shower, applying hot water to the face and neck, then lather up the gel and go to town. I'd really like to change the gel and maybe the aftershave, I have no problems with the razor itself as I get a nice close shave. I'd say my facial hair is average to coarse.

Bear in mind I live in Kentucky, a land of bad TV reception and no golf. Finding niche stuff will be difficult and usually results in blind-buying over the internet.
    Ok, my simple solution: Use a good Badger hair brush and a good shave soap such as Proraso or Musgo Real. The brush will force lather into the beard and pores, shave as usual, and then rinse with cold water to clean and close the pores. If you get break-outs after shaving, discontinue the after shave gels-they are most likely comedrogenic (plugs the pores). It sounds like you are starting to get ingrown hairs from your beard, so I would switch razors to a sensitive skin single blade razor. Sometimes close is too close with the multi-blade cartridge razors, at least in my experience. The problem is that the multi-blade razors tend to pull the beard hair up and cut them multiple times. When the hair retracts back into place it is usually a touch below your skin thus causing the ingrown hairs and rash. Anyway, my 2 cents....
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

Blog Entries

Note my update two posts up.

This was partially an experiment to see if the results really were as good as advertised; they are. I'll look into getting a badger-hair brush, and possibly a safety razor once I use up the remaining heads on my Fusion.

I wrote a rather lengthy blog entry about the whole experience, readable here.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

It's been a while but if you revisit the post... a Bic Sensitive is actually a decent razor and you don't have to relearn alot of stuff to use it. I collect double edge and injector razors, but actually most of the time I shave with a Bic Sensitive. The Double Edge razors take a bit more skill and more passes- good for slow, lazy shaving but when I'm in a rush I'm not so crazy about it. Injector razors are also good but most of the time, the Bic is just as good.

I think Kiss My Face is one of the best brands of shaving cream out there. The Proraso/CO Bigelow is also good stuff, but I find it can make my skin sensitive after a while. It just depends on your shaving style. KMF is available at Whole Foods/Wild Oats and some drugstores. I use the Lavender, it's not heavily scented. If you want to try a soap ever, Van Der Hagen/Surrey is a good soap (Walgreens and/or Wal-Mart), so are Crabtree and Evelyn's shaving soaps. The VDH/Surrey makes a super-slick lather that's almost snotty (not like canned shaving cream lather), while the C&E is more luxurious, but both work fairly well.

The Omega Syntex is a really good, but inexpensive brush. It costs about 12 dollars online, works very well. Crabtree and Evelyn also sells a nice badger brush for about $35 dollars, but for the money the Omega Syntex will work just as well.

I think witch hazel or rosewater are about the best aftershaves out there, next to an alum block (good for small nicks and for a minor case of razor burn).
    Last edited by Magnulus; 2nd July 2008 at 06:09 AM.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I'm on my last head for my Fusion. I will probably keep it simply because, well, I've already got it, and it does a good job. But I'm going to look into a Merkur HD and a sample pack of razors.

I haven't had any issues with the Proraso cream and sensitivity but I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks for the contribution.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

You can still get great shaves with a fusion. By watching the videos and researching at B&B, you will find that the MOST important part of the shave is PREP! Make sure your beard is moist. Don't press too hard, and if you can, don't go ATG. Try two WTG passes and a touch up. If you need, you can add an across the grain pass. Good luck.
    J

I'll add, you may have to experiment with many different products, which is fun, for me, anyway. I've used most of the higher end soaps/creams until I found what worked for me. Taylors Rose Shaving cream is very good for sensitive skin and provides the best shave your likely to find in a cream. It's not expensive either, which is an added bonus. Reviews on this fantastic cream can be seen here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...p?ltr=T&t=1847

You will have to get a brush, though, if you don't already have one. I'll second the Crabtree & Evelyn Best Badger Brush as a good, low cost option. Here's some reviews for said brush: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...p?ltr=C&t=5867

May as well try Tabac's excellent shaving soap while your at it. Reviews can be seen here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...p?ltr=T&t=1595

Nivea's after shave balm for sensitive skin is also very good. I have sensitive skin also, so I feel your pain.

I find that I get my best shaves with a double edge safety razor, this one in particular, which is the Merkur HD you mentioned:
    http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vsho...cat=129&page=1

Reviews for the Merkur HD are here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...p?ltr=M&t=1778

As others have suggested, badgerandblade.com, shavemyface.com, and theshaveden.com are excellent sources for shaving information.

Good luck.

Steve
    Last edited by desmoface; 24th August 2008 at 08:39 PM.

Maybe late the party here but try shaving in the shower. I use a Mach 3 Turbo and shave in the shower and it is so smooth. Another thing I started doing is skipping the creams with all the stuff in it. I actually use the Dove soap in the shower. Its sensitive skin..my wife buys it...but it has prevented breakouts, etc where as some Edge creams make my face greasy. I just use my anthonys cream after the shave.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by tfaust View Post
    heh, I said that once. Now I have a dozen straight razors and have more en route.

It works like this: You want a different razor, shaving soap/cream, and after-scent for every day of the month. This is called a rotation and, just as with "mix 'n match coordinates", you can find combinations (often, unexpected) which work together wonderfully.

There is a place near you, at least I think it is in Kentucky, called Shaving Essentials. Should be able to find a link at www.shavemyface.com or www.badgerandblade.com. I love the Fraser shave cream, a veritable bargain, as well as the Booster aftershaves.