Code of Conduct

Default Which complete line in my perfume journey - YSL or Guerlain?

I'm thinking of getting all offerings (including ladies) from either YSL or Guerlain to educate my nose in my perfume journey.

My first choice would be YSL - I've got Opium PH edt and edp, Rive Gauche edt and intense, and very recently Opium ladies edt. All of which are ones I'd gladly buy again and stock up on. I'm also not aware of "reformulation" linked to any of their offerings. Granted, I've read about the changes made to Kouros, but it's never really been confirmed. I've had M7, tried Kouros and Jazz and said "YES!", and read here about the great Pour Homme.

Then there is the heritage (!) of Guerlain - both Heritage and L'Instant Extreme I love. But many comments have been made about the reformulations... Still, the great history of this house makes me think twice, and the pure mention of Shalimar, Mitsouko and Jicky makes me itch

Which would you suggest (and why!) in terms of quality and consistency? (Or maybe another house I should add to my quest?)
    Last edited by jellybean1973; 17th August 2008 at 01:43 AM.

Default Re: Which complete line in my perfume journey - YSL or Guerlain?

I'm more partial to YSL myself, being a big fan of Kouros, Rive Gauche, Jazz, and others. Buying the complete collection is certainly doable for YSL, but I'm not sure I could say the same for Guerlain. Perhaps Mr. Guerlain can provide more guidance, but it seems to my uneducated eye that the Guerlain collection is vast. Or does it just seem that way?
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    I'm more partial to YSL myself, being a big fan of Kouros, Rive Gauche, Jazz, and others. Buying the complete collection is certainly doable for YSL, but I'm not sure I could say the same for Guerlain. Perhaps Mr. Guerlain can provide more guidance, but it seems to my uneducated eye that the Guerlain collection is vast. Or does it just seem that way?
    I would agree, I'm not a Guerlain expert but the collection is pretty vast, and the Directory confirms this.

YSL - 57 Fragrances
    Guerlain - 175 FRAGRANCES HOLY CRAP.

That said Guerlain has also been much more active in ladies' offerings than YSL. But if you really want to build up the entire Guerlain library (which you may be the first person to do so not actually named Guerlain), I would check my pocketbook first.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

I enjoy what YSL has to offer for men more than Guerlain so far. I love Rive Gauche and M7 far more than any Guerlain, and who knows, maybe you'll even be a Kouros fan.
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Prada - Prada Man/Amber Pour Homme
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

A L'Artisan Cap (old or new style)

Clothing + Goodies for sale!

It would be cheaper, and more realistic, to fly to Paris and visit the Guerlain flagship store and spend a few days sampling there, rather than buying all their fragrances.
    The YSL line you could practically do at a Duty Free shop.

GUERLAIN!!! O.K so I guess I'm partial to tha' house!
    Why... They've been around since 1828, 'an have been innovatin' since then. A goodly number of their frags have defined their respective catagories. And reformulated or not...tha' quality is there. Yes, they've got a lot of frags in production, but a perfume journey does not have ta' be taken overnight. And as long as yr. not going vintage, samples & decants can be had pretty reasonably. I suspect that a number of fellow BNer's would be willin' ta' help out on tha' trip, too.
    Any-whoo... Good luck, 'an keep us informed!
    -Wm.
    - A spritz of Caron may be quite continental, but (a flacon of) Guerlain is a perfumisto's best friend...

Basenotes Institution

Unlimited budget = Guerlain. Reality budget = YSL

It might be reasonable to pick and choose Guerlains, picking the highly regarded or ground breaking ones, instead of YSL.

Tough choice though, either way you get superior scents. If the choice were mine, I would pick and choose the Guerlains until I had my fill. Complete line is too difficult.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Guerlain's got the history and the prestige, in spite of LVMH and any reformulations. The EEC regulations are forcing more and more reformulations, especially of older formulas, of course, since those are the ones that used things now considered allergenic, toxic, or endangered.

But never mind all that. Guerlain is a classic house that recapitulates the history of scent from the early nineteenth century until now. How could you not want it?

Beware, however, of cost; can you afford a second mortgage? The whole line? Everything they ever made, even if you can find them all? It'll cost you thousands, maybe even tens of thousands.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Unlimited budget = Guerlain. Reality budget = YSL
    Definitely! Some of the Guerlains are > $200, at least in the US (Derby, Sous le Vent, etc.).
    Last edited by petruccijc; 17th August 2008 at 01:00 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Why don't you compromise and buy a certain percentage of perfumes of each House? Let's say, 60% of all YSLs and 20% of all Guerlains. You don't need to buy everything.

I prefer the Guerlains, although I would like them to develop perfumes without vanilla and tonka beans. They are all a bit sweet.

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 17th August 2008 at 12:24 PM.

If you MUST have the ENTIRE collection from any one house of the two you listed, my suggestion would be to go with decants!

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I agree with javagreen, but I would go even further and just suggest you just get samples of an entire line if you want to train your nose. Obtaining bottles of any house's entire male and female line is going to be really expensive and some of them you will never wear. The greatest number of bottles I own from a single house (Lorenzo Villoresi) is nine, and I think that is pretty extreme.
    Last edited by Tonyprince; 17th August 2008 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jellybean1973 View Post
    I'm thinking of getting all offerings (including ladies) from either YSL or Guerlain to educate my nose in my perfume journey.

My first choice would be YSL - I've got Opium PH edt and edp, Rive Gauche edt and intense, and very recently Opium ladies edt. All of which are ones I'd gladly buy again and stock up on. I'm also not aware of "reformulation" linked to any of their offerings. Granted, I've read about the changes made to Kouros, but it's never really been confirmed. I've had M7, tried Kouros and Jazz and said "YES!", and read here about the great Pour Homme.

Then there is the heritage (!) of Guerlain - both Heritage and L'Instant Extreme I love. But many comments have been made about the reformulations... Still, the great history of this house makes me think twice, and the pure mention of Shalimar, Mitsouko and Jicky makes me itch

Which would you suggest (and why!) in terms of quality and consistency? (Or maybe another house I should add to my quest?)
    My vote would go to Guerlain, they have more Scents, but the cost becomes an issue. If you are serious about acquiring a complete line of fragrances, get decants or samples to start. Who knows? You might want to incorporate and become a re-seller and go into the business!
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    You don't need to buy everything.
    IM neither a fan of both, tho the only YSL i would get is Kouros.

Back to you pt, sometimes for collections sake, its nice to have a range of diff frags from the same label. I get such impulsions sometimes esp with Bvlgari. Like how some members have over 10 different types of Bonds... (read: jdr4t )