Code of Conduct

Default Back to work! Focus! Concentrate!

OK, I am back at work after a wonderfully relaxing vacation. I'm guessing that many of you are in the same boat, or will be in the next few weeks.

Here is my question: Do you have certain fragrances that you wear on days when you want your performance to be extra-good at work? When you know you have a challenging day coming up, or a big project to finish?

I did a search and found interesting posts from pluran and flathorn that talked about particular notes/essences that may help a person focus and concentrate. Their lists included basil, cardamom, ginger, black pepper, basil, bergamot, cedarwood, lemon, grapefruit, peppermint, rosemary, and cypress. Someone else recently mentioned vetiver as also having this property.

I would love to hear what you pull out from your wardrobe for this purpose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Back to work! Focus! Concentrate!

I usually pick something citrusy and/or herbal.

Classic colognes like Guerlain Eau Impériale and Eau du Coq are great for this purpose, so is Etro Lemon Sorbet.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with tigs - something with citrus always picks me up!

Glancing at your wardrobe Haunani, Eau de Cartier might work nicely.

Yes, Iris Ganache, Guerlain.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Post Thanks / Like

I think that's when I pull out the Boardroom Vetivers, like Guerlain or French Lover, or perhaps Knize Ten. One of those "you can even trust me when I am under indictment" scents

Agree with citrus (my new favourite is the gingery citrus Mandragore). Citrus is probably best for sleepyheaded sluggishness.

To really focus on work, in my case, I'd often choose one of our own brand fragrances. Nothing like making you feel like you're at work when you smell "worky".

And a good default for "I mean business" for me is Mitsouko too.

P.S. I'm back to work tomorrow, but for the 1st day I'm working from home. I'll have to choose wisely to snap out of holiday mode!
    Last edited by Nukapai; 17th August 2008 at 09:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a little different, I usually reach for hardcore (Incense based) gear like Avignon, Querelle et al. When I'm needed to perform my best, I need to have some of my best Incense on me

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Timbuktu. I can't offer any explanation, but it just reassures me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alba View Post
    Timbuktu. I can't offer any explanation, but it just reassures me.
    Great choice

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I would concur with Eau de Cartier. I use that as my 'working hard' fragrance quite often.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Something citrusy.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

All of my citrus scents are great for waking up and getting going. Some other "bright" fragrances also work pretty well for me such as the Bulgari tea line (which contain citrus). A couple of my citrus scents have very different characters after drydown, and this is perfect because when the citrus does its job, it is good to move on to something else. Chanel Eau de Toilette turns to a beautiful sweet musk, and Acqua di Parma dries to a fougere.

Leather is more of a power scent for me, and so far I have only tried a "half-leather" to work: Parfum d'Empire Osmanthus Inderdite. Other osmanthus scents seem less leathery, so would fall under the "bright" catgory for me (TDC Osmanthus, Hermes Osmanthe Yunnan).

I haven't tried any green scents, yet, but I think these could also be great for invigorating the mind. I find orientals to be mostly inappropriate so far (except for Kenzo Amour), but I also like the idea of reserving some fragrances for my relaxation time.

This is interesting. Quite a variety so far. Mike and Clemmie, I'm with you - I wore Eau de Cartier the other day and it seemed to get me into the work mindset. People around me seemed to like it, too!

I don't have many citrus, but I'll try my beloved Bergamote and see. Nukapai, I can't wait to try my sample of Mandragore. It sounds like one I will love, too.

Sel de Vetiver and Terre d'Hermes seem to snap me into the proper mode, too. I wonder what it is about vetiver, tmp00?

The other day I wore some Jo Malone Lotus Blossom and Waterlily. It seemed to have a good effect, too. I'm wondering also about tea-based fragrances, mentioned by Asha. Would they do the trick? Giving the illusion of caffeine, perhaps. :-)
    Last edited by Haunani; 17th August 2008 at 05:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If I want to look and smell business I may go for something more masculine like Bvlgari Black, Jicky and if I don't want to mean business but be taken a bit more serious than Tea for Two is good too.

I don't wear anything special to concentrate more or less, I do know that lavander is suppose to be a calming fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm close to a buy on Eau de Cartier (Concentree), and to me that scent definitely says "business".

Day in and day out, my business day varies wildly, so I have different scents for different occasions. Meetings, presentations, demos, locked-in-the-cube, work-at-home, home/office, riding the (bi)cycle - I'm always choosing something to match the day. Among my top work scents are: Terre d'Hermès, Un Parfum des Sens et Bois, Bulgari Black, Bulgari Aqua, Bulgari PH, Hanae Mori HM, anything Ralph Lauren, Bergamote, Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne, Armani Code, etc.

Consider the woody violet unisex scent Un Parfum des Sens et Bois for business when it counts or if you just want to feel professional. It smells like a stately executive office with exquisite woodwork.

Post Thanks / Like

Chanel No19 always makes me feel focussed and sharp. Ideal for work but I also love to wear this for travelling too. It has a totally positive 'can do' effect on my brain. It's also absent from my wardrobe at the moment so maybe I should change that!

Post Thanks / Like

Ivoire acts like a slap in the face for me. It says "I am ready for
    whatever life cares to throw at me and I shall accept it with cool,
    unshakeable professionalism!"

I guess I can characterize my work fragrances in four broad requirements.

My "I mean business!" fragrances normally needs to contain a bit of leather. To me, since I have to crack the whip at work, I need the little bit of "bad girl" but not in a sexy way.

My "I need to concentrate" fragrances have to be either herbaceous, spicy or with some citrus. I need to keep awake and focussed for the task at hand.

My "I need to project professionalism" where I am scheduled to do a presentation or speak out at meetings, I need a confidence boost. I go with classics with a bit of green, ie. Sous le Vent, Chanel No. 5,

Then I have those days where I need to relax or chill a little (normally after a big deadline has passed), be the nice guy, or be objective, I go with a non-offensive, easy to wear, pleasant yet interesting choice, ie. Prada Infusion d'Iris, Chanel Bois des Iles, Bois d'Armenie, L de Lolita
    Last edited by dimples; 18th August 2008 at 04:00 PM. Reason: added examples
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You see, this is why I never go on vacation--the whole coming back to reality thing. Well, that and the fact I have no control over my spastic clients.

Great thread. Flathorn is someone you can trust. She flies a plane in Alaska. Figure she's gotta know all about the concentration stuff.

As a fellow Sel de Vetiver and Mandragore devotee, and being attracted to many of the notes you listed, Haunani, I'm looking backasswards at your question and wondering whether my liking those notes means something.

Uh. Wait, I got distracted and lost my train of thought. What were we talking about?
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

I agree with Nukapai about Mitsouko... I wore it recently for a Board meeting and it did the trick more than anything else I've tried. At these meetings I'm a youngish (30s) woman in a room full of older (60/70s) men so it stresses me out. Mitsouko hits the right reassuring note - it's distinctive but warm and friendly, and neither particularly masculine or feminine. It's presence reminds people that you are a woman but without any boudoir sexiness or floral girlish-ness. It smells fresh and contemporary but not squeaky clean nice. It's crisp and focused but with no bitch-slap sharpness or testosterone-fueled roughness. When spraying on Mitsouko, I always feel that the fragrance in itself is like a long-time co-worker leaping out of their seat to greet me with hands outstretched, saying "let's get to work" with a big grin and loud laugh that will carry me through the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    You see, this is why I never go on vacation--the whole coming back to reality thing. Well, that and the fact I have no control over my spastic clients.
    Ghehehe.

And, inspired by the discussion in this thread, today on my 1st day back at work - Mandragore it was.

Quote Originally Posted by rachelsf View Post
    I agree with Nukapai about Mitsouko... I wore it recently for a Board meeting and it did the trick more than anything else I've tried. At these meetings I'm a youngish (30s) woman in a room full of older (60/70s) men so it stresses me out. Mitsouko hits the right reassuring note - it's distinctive but warm and friendly, and neither particularly masculine or feminine. It's presence reminds people that you are a woman but without any boudoir sexiness or floral girlish-ness. It smells fresh and contemporary but not squeaky clean nice. It's crisp and focused but with no bitch-slap sharpness or testosterone-fueled roughness. When spraying on Mitsouko, I always feel that the fragrance in itself is like a long-time co-worker leaping out of their seat to greet me with hands outstretched, saying "let's get to work" with a big grin and loud laugh that will carry me through the day.
    Nice description!

I've found Mitsouko to have an air of "I mean business, but I am also approachable". I love your idea of having almost a "the presence of a perfumed mentor" in there.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like I need to get me a bottle of Mitsouko

Eau de Courreges
    Of all my eau de cologne/eau fraiche type fragrances, this is the most like a splash of cold water in the face. It has a pine or fir note underneath the citrus, which seems to contribute to its longevity.

If Empreinte by Courreges was still around, I'd recommend that too, as a dry chypre with some leather characteristics. Empreinte always gave off an air of authority that one could borrow for as long as the sillage lasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    Sounds like I need to get me a bottle of Mitsouko
    Me too, Lian! Gigantic confession coming next...

I haven't tried Mitsouko yet (yes, I can hear the gasps all the way from here, everyone). I'm sort of scared to try it. Silly, I know. Especially when I could always use the kind of work buddy that rachelsf so cleverly describes!

Many of you have prompted me to add to my "Samples to Order" list. Dimples, your categories make good sense. Quarry, you had me in stitches. RP, why did you pick the Concentree over the regular???

Obviously, some of this is physiological and a (perhaps bigger) part is psychological. Fascinating...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    RP, why did you pick the Concentree over the regular???
    Just luck. I was in Sephora, and they always divide the scents by sex, putting unisex wherever they see fit. For some reason, regular is on the ladies' side, and Concentree on the men's. But I think that the reason I jumped for it more was the stronger wood note, which pleases this here woodaholic just fine. I wouldn't want anything lighter (I tend toward EdPs and stronger scents anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    ...But I think that the reason I jumped for it more was the stronger wood note, which pleases this here woodaholic just fine. I wouldn't want anything lighter (I tend toward EdPs and stronger scents anyway).
    Thanks for the report. Wood is good - enjoy! I'll have to sample it, though for me the regular is perfection.