Code of Conduct

Default Parfumerie Generale Private Collection L'Ombre Fauve - Mini Review

Parfumerie Generale fragrances, I believe, are very cunningly crafted ahprodisiacs that hook directly and firmly into the exact pleasure points of the entire Human olfactory system (much like the hooks attached to Chains from the movie Hellraiser which are planted under Frank's skin, tearing through his flesh). Once hooked, they manipulate the olfactory senses, maximizing the wearer's pleasure throughout the various phases the fragrance progresses through and in this case ME being the wearer... I don't want this pleasure trip to stop. Ever. This newly introduced fragrance is no exception, it takes the traditional Parfumerie Generale handling a notch above. With a fragrance being this good, who needs Drugs?

The opening of L'Ombre Fauve on the skin is very rich, one can immediately identify the dry woods with a mixture of subtle spices gently sprinkled all over it, giving it a familiar "woody-spicy" accord you get to smell in dozens of Perfumes nowadays. However, that is where the similarity ends and L'Ombre Fauve leaves the runway, taking off, off to reach dazzling heights like a sleek aircraft. The Amber warms up to the touch of the skin within minutes of application, rising up alongwith the body heat radiating around you. For the shortest moment, sniffing it during it's mid-stage I got something like Milk! eek.. I thought... WTF.. that aroma quickly gave away to something smelling like slightly Burnt Rubber at first, then Unburnt Rubber... hmm, interesting.

Fortunately the milk/rubber reference soon leaves the heady mix letting the Amber now take centerstage. This Amber alongwith the mingled resinous Incense and full bodied Musk gives off one of the dreamiest sillage my nose has ever recorded. Wow..slightly sweet and truly Sumptuous in its "feel" .. one can tell the quality of the ingredients used in creating this blend. Absolutely dazzling. I kept sniffing myself, I didn't care who looked or what anyone said, I just wanted to relive the moment of Bliss as many times as I could.

The fragrance progresses on into its drydown with the Patchouli now binding the trio of Amber, Powdery Musk and Incense together with only a hint of woodiness. Matter of factly I was able to detect the Patchouli quite early on in the development, is it the Patchouli interacting with some other ingredient in the blend to create an olfactory illusion of Milk/Rubber? I don't know for sure. The drydown is as Impressive as the earlier development stages of the fragrance is.. mesmerizing and reminds one of all things Glorious. It almost alters one's perspective, elevating the wearer's state of mind and I'm saying this from the experience of having worn the fragrance and experienced the heavenly drydown myself.

This fragrance is very dense, make no mistake. Just a dab of it lasted over 3 hours on my unforgiving dry skin. A quick search for the notes reveal only these notes : Amber, Musk, Woods, Incense, Patchouli. Despite having fewer notes, I'm amazed by their ability to "tweak" their fragrances to a level where they seldom fail to astonish the wearer. Is it because of the high quality of ingredients used? Probably yes...and I sometimes wonder why do PG never advertise their using "high content of natural ingredients" like a certain other house does all the time? Actually it's good they don't..

I rate this a full 5/5 for it's perception/emotion altering abilities and for it's Incredible longevity. Please remember that my review is based on the way the fragrance bloomed on my skin. YMMV.

Thanks for reading

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Default Re: Parfumerie Generale Private Collection L'Ombre Fauve - Mini Review

Yes, L'Ombre Fauve is a very well crafted fragrance. I tested this about 4 times over the course of the last 3 weeks from a sample vial, and when I found a bottle at a great price from a Canadian supplier, I just had to buy.

I like that this is an animalic musk, like MKK's baby brother, blended with a warm deep, amber. The incense and patchouli notes don't really come to the fore; they hang in the background like supporting players adding an extra layer of depth and complexity, a hint of resin and wood to form a background to the amber and musk.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

An ambery musk scent by PG? I'm in! This is going straight to my sampling list. Thanks for the review. I agree with the part that them not advertising "high content of natural ingredients" is a good thing -- unlike another certain house. *cough* So we can concentrate on the scent, and not the advertising. By the way, I think we need more PG reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    I like that this is an animalic musk, like MKK's baby brother, blended with a warm deep, amber.
    You are right, I was going to edit my review to add the animalic part in the drydown but you beat me to it

The fragrance is still drying down on my chest as we speak and only beginning to show the other side of it's personality, the animalic side. However, I wouldn't go as much as to call it MKK's kid brother, the animalicness is way too subtle, but yes, it's definitely there. It's animalic intensity also could depend on one's skin chemistry I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    It's animalic intensity also could depend on one's skin chemistry I suppose.
    Oh, ja. On me it's like it's thrown a wolf hide over me. I feel like I should beat my fists on my chest, but that would probably hurt.

I love the PGs!

I have tried the other two new releases, L'Oiseau de Nuit and Cuir d'Iris. Love both of them so far. they both have the same leather accord, but it is used differently in each fragrance--the L'OdN has it more as a base note, and Cd'I has it much stronger up front. Cd'I can definitely be worn by a man, but L'OdN seems much more feminine to me. Both seem to be similar enough to other frags in the same genre, but with a bit of a twist that makes them very interesting. I am lamenting the high price tag, tho!

I am encouraged to try the other ones now--thanks for your review!

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post
    An ambery musk scent by PG? I'm in! This is going straight to my sampling list. Thanks for the review.
    I have a feeling you'll LOVE this. It's a stellar scent

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post
    By the way, I think we need more PG reviews.
    I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by nikkou View Post
    Oh, ja. On me it's like it's thrown a wolf hide over me. I feel like I should beat my fists on my chest, but that would probably hurt.

I love the PGs!
    Love the way you describe it

And I love the PG's too! Really good stuff they put out.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I have tried the other two new releases, L'Oiseau de Nuit and Cuir d'Iris. Love both of them so far. they both have the same leather accord, but it is used differently in each fragrance--the L'OdN has it more as a base note, and Cd'I has it much stronger up front. Cd'I can definitely be worn by a man, but L'OdN seems much more feminine to me. Both seem to be similar enough to other frags in the same genre, but with a bit of a twist that makes them very interesting. I am lamenting the high price tag, tho!

I am encouraged to try the other ones now--thanks for your review!
    You're most welcome, Asha. I know I enjoy your reviews (and posts)

Also, thanks for describing the other 2 PG releases above, it's like a mini review right there I find L'Ombre Fauve to be sufficiently unisex, dare I say.. more masculine than feminine, it's like a 75/25 ratio. It works with my skin chemistry very well. Not too sweet, not too powdery, this one is an amber-musk-incense heaven for me.
    Last edited by Amit; 17th August 2008 at 06:23 PM. Reason: typo

Funny timing.... I was just considering posting a mini review of PG's Private Collection Un Crime Exotique, which I sampled yesterday. I've received samples of this, Cuir d'Iris and Bois Blonde in the last couple days. Unfortunately the BN review I wrote is 'locked' and I can't even cut/paste it here.

To be brief, Un Crime Exotique is an unreal gourmand, but I believe it would appeal to those who don't like gourmands. First, I applied it around 6pm last night, and the basenotes are still going strong at noon. It starts off with a mix of spicy 'gingerbread- (ginger, vanilla, and cinnamon), but it's not sweet like cookies, it's more like spiked rum or mulled cider. A tea note develops, and for abour 6 hours the nicest, deepest tea note intertwines with the gingerbread note - a unique and rich composition that is exceedingly well balanced. I believe there's some anise in the background for depth. The drydown is sandalwood and light vanilla - again, never too sweet. I've been putting off showering because I want to keep smelling these basenotes!

I'm trying to decide today between sampling Bois Blonde or Escentric Molecules' Escentric 01.

ps - I like the l'ombre review... I'll have to order samples.
    Last edited by bbBD; 17th August 2008 at 06:28 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Funny timing.... I was just considering posting a mini review of PG's Private Collection Un Crime Exotique, which I sampled yesterday. I've received samples of this, Cuir d'Iris and Bois Blonde in the last couple days. Unfortunately the BN review I wrote is 'locked' and I can't even cut/paste it here.

To be brief, Un Crime Exotique is an unreal gourmand, but I believe it would appeal to those who don't like gourmands. First, I applied it around 6pm last night, and the basenotes are still going strong at noon. It starts off with a mix of spicy 'gingerbread- (ginger, vanilla, and cinnamon), but it's not sweet like cookies, it's more like spiked rum or mulled cider. A tea note develops, and for abour 6 hours the nicest, deepest tea note intertwines with the gingerbread note - a unique and rich composition that is exceedingly well balanced. I believe there's some anise in the background for depth. The drydown is sandalwood and light vanilla - again, never too sweet. I've been putting off showering because I want to keep smelling these basenotes!

I'm trying to decide today between sampling Bois Blonde or Escentric Molecules' Escentric 01.

ps - I like the l'ombre review... I'll have to order samples.
    Glad you liked the review, bbBD

Now you have me interested by mentioning Un Crime Exotique, I kind of considered it leaning more into the feminine realm and hence didn't bother checking it out. Your brief review changes that now. Appreciate your posting it

I think that PG wanted to get away from the whole masculine/feminine/unisex categorizations with his perfumes. That is why the main range is labelled with just numbers with the name hidden away, so that the name doesn't lead you to not trying something that might just be perfect for you.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    Glad you liked the review, bbBD

Now you have me interested by mentioning Un Crime Exotique, I kind of considered it leaning more into the feminine realm and hence didn't bother checking it out. Your brief review changes that now. Appreciate your posting it
    Definitely NOT feminine, in fact it's more along the lines of A*Men Pure Coffee in terms of gender identification... slightly more masculine but could easily be worn by women.

To update what I posted before, Un Crime Exotique might just win the longevity award for me. I showered, and it's been 21 hours since applying two sprays to my wrist, and I can still smell the basenotes... in fact the sandalwood is becoming more prominent than other notes.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Definitely NOT feminine, in fact it's more along the lines of A*Men Pure Coffee in terms of gender identification... slightly more masculine but could easily be worn by women.

To update what I posted before, Un Crime Exotique might just win the longevity award for me. I showered, and it's been 21 hours since applying two sprays to my wrist, and I can still smell the basenotes... in fact the sandalwood is becoming more prominent than other notes.
    Completely agree on the longevity. I had a little of it dabbed to my upper palm prior to spraying my chest and I can still smell it on my palm post multiple hand washes, some even with soap.

Basenotes Institution

I must agree - Parfumerie Generale scents need much more 'hype' here on Basenotes. I think all of the scents I've tried are outstanding. Of course, I wish the prices were a little lower, but then many of us (including me) have no problem throwing around the same amount of $ on Creeds, Tom Fords, etc.

I am not sure I would enjoy an ambery musk (musk and I aren't friends), but your review makes it sound transcendental.

I will agree with bbBD. Un Crime Exotique is fantastic. However, I can't imagine wearing it anywhere except in cool weather.

i would echo wht Mike Said..wish the prices were low, not bcoz we wish to buy one. but 10-15 of them i have just tried Corp et ames and it has me hooked. this brand is just way ahead of time it seems.

Great Review Javagreen!!
    Last edited by jenson; 18th August 2008 at 04:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I must agree - Parfumerie Generale scents need much more 'hype' here on Basenotes. I think all of the scents I've tried are outstanding. Of course, I wish the prices were a little lower, but then many of us (including me) have no problem throwing around the same amount of $ on Creeds, Tom Fords, etc.

I am not sure I would enjoy an ambery musk (musk and I aren't friends), but your review makes it sound transcendental.

I will agree with bbBD. Un Crime Exotique is fantastic. However, I can't imagine wearing it anywhere except in cool weather.
    While the prices aren't low, they're still a little more reasonable then some of the other niche houses. There's also a 'unique factor' as this company seems to be somewhat flying on the radar - even here - given the very high quality of the fragrances.

On the topic, I spent the evening with Private Collection Bois Blonde... I haven't worn it enough to draft a proper review, but needless to say it's fantastic. I'd be hard pressed to choose between this and Un Crime Exotique, but Bois Blonde would definitely be more wearable in the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    i would echo wht Mike Said..wish the prices were low, not bcoz we wish to buy one. but 10-15 of them i have just tried Corp et ames and it has me hooked. this brand is just way ahead of time it seems.

Great Review Javagreen!!
    Thanks buddy!

It certainly is transcendental for me atleast. It surprises me to see how well it works with my skin chemistry.

Off-Scenter

Funny you should review L'Ombre Fauve - it's a scent I tried a year or so ago and liked very much. I believe I even wrote a detailed review, but since the scent never made it into the Directory, the review never got posted. (I don't normally post reviews on the boards since I don't want to hog valuable forum space with redundant samples of my own hot air.) I doubt I could find that review now.

Since L'Ombre Fauve was all but unavailable at the time, I set the sample aside and didn't think about it again. Until, that is, it became available in the US through LuckyScent. Seeing the scent for sale online prompted me to dig up the sample and give it another try. I won't go into my impresions in detail, since Javagreen has already given us such an accurate and insightful review. I agree that L'Ombre Fauve is a seductive and captivating scent, propelled mostly by honeyed amber, animalic musk, and spices. Upon renewed acquaintance, though, I've got to say I was a bit less enthusiastic. Having worn many other sweet ambers and animalic musks, I came back to L'Ombre Fauve a bit jaded. Yes, it' s wonderful, but it wouldn't displace Muscs Koublai Khan or Ambre Sultan (elements from both of which it shares,) in my esteem or in my collection.

My experience with several Parfumerie Generale scents leaves me thinking of it as a very high quality line, one that scores particularly well with rich, sweet orientals and leathers. My favorite of the range so far is Intrigant Patchouli, which maitains remarkable transparency for a patchouli based scent, particualrly one that is vehemently animalic. Great stuff, and one of my wardrobe staples!

Thanks for posting your impressions Vibert. Now that's another PG I must get my paws upon : Intrigant Patchouli. Wonderful

OK, I made my luckyscent sample order, and it includes L'Ombre Fauve, Bois Blonde and two more that were not mentioned here, Corps et Ames and Psycotrope. I already have the two I mentioned above, plus Jardins de Kerlyos. I had a look at the directory, and it needs an update, too.

I also ordered some Bois 1920, so will be able to respond to that thread (if it is still sufficiently active by the time I get to the testing!). Plus, I really want to try the new Parfum d'Empire releases (also ordered).
    Last edited by Asha; 19th August 2008 at 06:39 AM.

OK, I made my luckyscent sample order, and it includes L'Ombre Fauve, Bois Blonde and one more that was not mentioned here, Corps et Ames. I already have the two I mentioned above, plus Jardins de Kerlyos.
    Nice, I've tried Corps et Ames and I like it. Here's a thread I opened back then. I'm also really interested in knowing more about Jardins de Kerylos. I hope you'll post a review of some sort post your testing

Very good review that characterizes OF to the point!

While I appreciate many of PG's fragrances for their originality, it's just a handful I actually wear. Ombre Fauve is one of them. Although lasting pretty long, it never gets cloying or overwhelming.
    Also Louanges and L'Eau Guerrière are highly recommended; they're more subtle than the earlier releases but seem more refined to me. Yet my definite PG favorite is Cuir d'Iris. Elegant and distinctive; refined yet not overly complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
    Very good review that characterizes OF to the point!

While I appreciate many of PG's fragrances for their originality, it's just a handful I actually wear. Ombre Fauve is one of them. Although lasting pretty long, it never gets cloying or overwhelming.
    Also Louanges and L'Eau Guerrière are highly recommended; they're more subtle than the earlier releases but seem more refined to me. Yet my definite PG favorite is Cuir d'Iris. Elegant and distinctive; refined yet not overly complex.
    Thanks Gerald. I owe this one to you

I just tried L'Ombre Fauve and Bois Blonde tonight. The samples are dabbers, and I did not give a full day of wearing, yet.

On first impression, L'Ombre Fauve is a "nice" amber. Not too heavy, not too sweet, not too smoky...not too much of anything. I find it to be very tame, and compared to something like MPG Ambre Precieux, it lacks depth and complexity. On the other hand, it seems light enough to wear in situations where a heavy, classic amber is not appropriate. Could be the Parfumerie Generale offering which is along the same lines as Estee Lauder's Sensuous--a fragrance that doesn't have huge hooks, but is so pleasing and wearable, could be a good choice for some.

Bois Blonde I enjoyed more than L'Ombre Fauve. I really liked the white-wood middle in the development--sort of like mild pine wood resin or a woodier version of pine resin incense (unburned). It is definitely not piney in the pine-needle sense--more like the wood and sap itself. I also like how it becomes a bit more sweet later in the drydown. Not sure what it is doing at this stage, yet, but maybe it is a bit of sweet musk or vanilla. Definitely not a vanilla "punch", though--very subtle, in the same vein as Chanel Eau de Toilette in the drydown stages.

Disclaimer--these are initial impressions for a short evening of sampling, FWIW!

I just tried L'Ombre Fauve and Bois Blonde tonight. The samples are dabbers, and I did not give a full day of wearing, yet.

On first impression, L'Ombre Fauve is a "nice" amber. Not too heavy, not too sweet, not too smoky...not too much of anything. I find it to be very tame, and compared to something like MPG Ambre Precieux, it lacks depth and complexity. On the other hand, it seems light enough to wear in situations where a heavy, classic amber is not appropriate. Could be the Parfumerie Generale offering which is along the same lines as Estee Lauder's Sensuous--a fragrance that doesn't have huge hooks, but is so pleasing and wearable, could be a good choice for some.

Bois Blonde I enjoyed more than L'Ombre Fauve. I really liked the white-wood middle in the development--sort of like mild pine wood resin or a woodier version of pine resin incense (unburned). It is definitely not piney in the pine-needle sense--more like the wood and sap itself. I also like how it becomes a bit more sweet later in the drydown. Not sure what it is doing at this stage, yet, but maybe it is a bit of sweet musk or vanilla. Definitely not a vanilla "punch", though--very subtle, in the same vein as Chanel Eau de Toilette in the drydown stages.

Disclaimer--these are initial impressions for a short evening of sampling, FWIW!
    Thanks for the update Asha. I agree, it's not a heavy Amber, it's actually the blending of the Amber alongwith the Musk and Incensy woods that did it for me.

The Bois Blond sounds really interesting!

Basenotes Institution

I had a dream about L' Ombre Fauve last night. Seriously.

In my dream, I was thinking about the scent, and I was getting ready to buy it - but I realized I didn't know much about it.

Strange...seeing as I've never even smelled this scent. Mind you...Ruggles and I were having a discussion via PM about the Parfumerie Generale line, since Ruggles is very interested in the line. I only know of a handful of the scents, but honestly I have only scratched the surface. Maybe this little tidbit of information was all it took to get this scent into my head...and into my dream.

When I woke up, I clearly visualized having this inner dialogue with myself about this fragrance.

Sounds retarded, right?

OFF TOPIC: Is the translation of the name, in English, mean: The Tawny Shadow? Or The Fawn's Shadow? Or The Tawny Fawn's Shadow? Inquiring minds want to know...

Have you smelled it yet, Mike? Interesting dream though!

I think it is a perfect fragrance for today: Groundhog Day! Very animalic.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I was sorely disappointed with this one. All I smelled was a rubbery leather scent that was the furthest thing away from an aphrodisiac that I could imagine. I'm not saying it was bad, just not my thing at all.

- Brad
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    Have you smelled it yet, Mike? Interesting dream though!
    A sample is on it's way to me soon.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    I think it is a perfect fragrance for today: Groundhog Day! Very animalic.
    True that. Ain't it awesome

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity1014 View Post
    I know I'm in the minority here, but I was sorely disappointed with this one. All I smelled was a rubbery leather scent that was the furthest thing away from an aphrodisiac that I could imagine. I'm not saying it was bad, just not my thing at all.

- Brad
    I'd imagine -- the rubbery (and milky) aspect of it threw me off a bit too originally. It really developed into soemthing groundbreaking post that on my skin, though. Love it.

A sample is on it's way to me soon.
    Excellent. Let us know your impressions of it once you test it.

There are two scents which I associate with L'Ombre Fauve: Chanel's Coromandel and Serge Lutens Borneo 1834

L'Ombre Fauve is probably the 'skankiest' of the three - perhaps due to how the patchouli is blended into the scent.

+1 looking forward to reading your impressions of it, Mike!

I don't find Fauve to be skanky on my skin at all. The greatest, driest amber drydown I've found yet.
    Not sweet . . . . very subtle

Not a mini, but a beautiful and very detail review Amit. Really like your "secret weapon" scent review Nexttime in Paris, I will try PG L'Ombre Fauve and tell you what I feel about L'Ombre Fauve. Ahhhhhhh I'm so curious about this scent right now.

Parfumerie Generale fragrances, I believe, are very cunningly crafted ahprodisiacs......
    I love this statement, Amit! Ultimately, this is the real reason I wear perfume. Be they masculine or feminine, they have to tap into my animalic side or it's just another bar of soap.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolateguy View Post
    Not a mini, but a beautiful and very detail review Amit. Really like your "secret weapon" scent review Nexttime in Paris, I will try PG L'Ombre Fauve and tell you what I feel about L'Ombre Fauve. Ahhhhhhh I'm so curious about this scent right now.
    Thanks mate. I'm quite confident you'll love L'Ombre Fauve

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I love this statement, Amit! Ultimately, this is the real reason I wear perfume. Be they masculine or feminine, they have to tap into my animalic side or it's just another bar of soap.
    Exactly, Ruggles! I was lucky enough to begin my exploration of the PG lineup with L'Ombre Fauve

Basenotes Institution

...Excellent. Let us know your impressions of it once you test it.
    I am wearing it now.

I smell the amber and the patchouli straight away, but there is that dense, chewy animalic fog surrounding the woods. There is a tiny bit of aldehydes which are annoying me a bit (i'm hypersensitive to certain aldehydes), but nothing too sharp. It is definitely that animal breath note that keeps this from veering into Cinnabar/Opium/typical-feminine-oriental territory.

I would imagine, this is the musk scent for people who don't like musk scents, no? Reminds me a bit of Musc Ravageur (which is not a favorite of mine, by the way) but a bit more exciting.

Nonetheless, it's only been on skin for 10 minutes. I'll have to give this one more skin time.

I am wearing it now.

I smell the amber and the patchouli straight away, but there is that dense, chewy animalic fog surrounding the woods.
    Nonetheless, it's only been on skin for 10 minutes. I'll have to give this one more skin time.
    It will be interesting if the animalic fog gets denser with time. For me, it grew quite dense and actually made me feel uncomfortable.

L'Ombre Fuave and XXV... these two scents weave a air of mystery around me which is totally enchanting. lovely scents..

Dependent

*A new fan signing in*

I bought this one blind. And I like what Ruggles said: "they have to tap into my animalic side or it's just another bar of soap." My very first whiff a few weeks ago gave just one impression: S O A P. I made it my SOTD just now, and I am very fascinated at how this one is growing on me, and as I get to know it a little better.

Lovely review btw, Amit!

Beware of the all consuming beast, Matt

Basenotes Institution

Wearing this again today.

The most enjoyable part of the scent today, was this very perceptible rosemary note, that mixed with the musk and animalic notes, to form this combined animalic rosemary accord. I have a rosemary plant in my backyard and ever-so-often I go out there and pull a branch off to take into my kitchen to cook with and whenever I do I get that sticky resin from the plant all over my finger tips for a couple of hours. That is the smell, I was smelling today, wearing LOF.

Brilliant.

Now, I'm not really sure I could go through a bottle of this. When I think of animalic scents I always tend to gravitate towards the more floral (Rose 31) or cumin (Eau de Hermes, L' Autre) ones. In addition, about half an hour into the progression of the scent, I could almost taste the musk, it really ramped up with my body heat and spiked in the air all around me. Nonetheless, having never been a fan of musky scents, I easily enjoy this one for the sheer rollercoaster ride I'm taken on when I wear it.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 14th April 2010 at 06:04 PM.

Its a work of bloomin genius , I love this and fully intend to get a bottle asap after recently trying it ...

What is that animalic musky note that reminds me of burying your nose in someones hair and smelling it , or is that just me !

I just tested out Dr. Vranjes Iris & Amber yesterday, and was struck by its similarity to L'Ombre Fauve. Anyone who wants a slightly gentler L'Ombre Fauve would do well in trying this one!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Its a work of bloomin genius , I love this and fully intend to get a bottle asap after recently trying it ...

What is that animalic musky note that reminds me of burying your nose in someones hair and smelling it , or is that just me !
    I smell it too. The scalp note. No idea what it is...

Exactly Im so glad its not just me , I have no idea what it is but its completely compelling in an odd kinda way

I don't know why but L'Ombre Fauve on me is not that good. It smells like Montale Blue Amber first 60 minutes. And the drydown ( after about one hour ) is Reminiscene Elixir Patchouli after many many hours.

Just tried a sample. I carefully washed my hands when I got home so as not to rinse off this beautiful juice. Can't stop sniffing. This stuff is special, a shining example of what a premium $ niche scent experience should be like.

Thanks for the rec, StylinLA