Code of Conduct

Default Susanne Lang Fragrances

I tried some scents from this line after much anticipation. Only one of her scents impressed me, Cashmere.

Tamboti Wood - strong cedarwood, sandalwood are good things. Throw in a little earthy vetiver to warm things up and you should have a nice fragrance. Rich, spicy with a delicate touch of sweetness. Lang does a fabulous job of messing this up. The scent is very linear, little to no development. A strike of cedar with mild peppery smell casually fades away.

Vanilla Coconut - I bought this large can from the grocery store one time. It was to spray my room to make it smell nice. Tropical something by Glade. It gave a strong pineapple vanilla odor that was cloying and harsh but worked for the large room. Yeah that's what Vanilla Coconut smells like.

Cashmere - Is this the new "it" thing for scents? My cashmere sweaters and slacks smell like nothing (until I wear them). Yet I keep seeing "cashmere" linked with fragrance. Cristiano Fissore has his "cashmere" line of scents out too as do more than a few others. Okay how about Denim? Wool anyone? Lycra? SPANDEX! A European favorite for sure.

Anyway this was the only one in the bunch that got my attention. It's a sly devil of a scent. It starts off soft and velvety. The amber seeps in very quickly gliding all over filling out the space in between a symphony of spices. The scent progresses from something that resembled Opium for woman into something much less floral with stronger woods that's stronger bodied and more masculine.

Cheers,
    Al
    Last edited by anak; 18th August 2008 at 03:15 AM.

Default Re: Susanne Lang Fragrances

Her Cashmere is a favorite of mine too. Didn't care at all for the Cristiano Fissore cashmere for men (whatever it's called).

Quote Originally Posted by anak View Post
    Tamboti Wood - strong cedarwood, sandalwood are good things. Throw in a little earthy vetiver to warm things up and you should have a nice fragrance. Rich, spicy with a delicate touch of sweetness. Lang does a fabulous job of messing this up. The scent is very linear, little to no development. A strike of cedar with mild peppery smell casually fades away.
    Agreed. I really wanted to like that, but it bored the bejesus outta me.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I am a proud owner of Cashmere, and even though it's 'feminine' I find it to be totally unisex. Susanne Lang has a few other fragrances as well, all of which are little more feminine than I would wear, but the quality is very good. Most of the fragrances are simple and lend themselves well to layering.

One of her neater products is a 'blending kit' she offers. It's a set of 10 mini single note EdPs, including some neat notes like 'vanilla CO2', along with a funnel and spray atomizer.

PS. To describe Cashmere, it's either like a toned down Dior Addict mixed with a toned down Ambre Narguile
    Last edited by bbBD; 18th August 2008 at 01:10 PM. Reason: add info

To report back, I wore Cashmere today for the first time, having owned it for about a month. I don't own many EdPs, and I enjoyed having the sillage last such a long time. If you like amber/vanilla fragrances this is for you, and it really is a perfect cross between Dior Addict's vanilla and Hermes Ambre Narguille's amber/spice accord. The fragrance is fairly linear, with the only substantial development being that the sweetness settles down and the richness of the amber becomes more prominent.

This thread got me exploring Susanne Lang a bit more.... her fragrances more than others seem to really be designed for layering, and her website suggests many combinations. This may explain why the fragrances described above may have seemed somewhat lacking. Another fragrance I've tried from this line is Red Ginger, which I liked but found to be too feminine.

For vanilla lovers, she offers a 'vanilla coffret' of sort - a set of 8 different vanilla based scents with recommendations for layering a blending. Also of interest is that her company offers a personal blending service whereby you can choose from 80 fragrance notes and work with one of her perfumers to mix custom fragrances, available by as little as a single bottle.

Definitely worth checking out, especially for the ladies.

Although all her fragrances are marketed at women