Code of Conduct

Default New Addition to Collection

Hey everyone, so I've recently become interested in acquiring a new scent/cologne (the whole deal: cologne, aftershave and deodorant). I'm currently a college student studying in northern New York so I will be dealing with mainly cold weather throughout the school year.

So far I have Armani Mania (for casual and professional wear) and Chanel Homme Sport (for when I become more active and such). But, I would like to add something that is a little more vibrant that would be mainly used for nights out on the town, be it at a club or on a date. Something that's fairly versatile but mainly defined by how it attracts a woman's senses.

From my research here I've seen several options:
    Dior Homme
    YSL Rive Gauche pour Homme
    L'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme (looks to be for summer/warm enviroments)
    Gucci Envy for Men
    Le Male
    Must De Cartier Pour Homme

Does anybody have any particular suggestion or a top favorite (for those party nights, dates, etc...)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Smile Re: New Addition to Collection

Gucci Envy wins hands down.. I have over 60 frags including plenty of Niche and nothing and I mean nothing receives compliments like this baby!

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Default Re: New Addition to Collection

Dior Homme is my favorite fragrance... it's definitely not your typical male fragrance, and I've found that women dig it. It's nothing at all like the macho powerfragrances or fresh, citrusy stuff. It's a fascinating mix of iris, cocoa, leather, vanilla, musk, and vetiver that really takes multiple wears to appreciate and recognize the subtlety and sensuality.

Rive Gauche is, around here, considered the most 'ladykiller' of fragrances. It's the opposite of Dior Homme.... loud, bold, overtly masculine. Of course this is another top-10 of mine. The only thing is that it may not appeal to younger guys or people new to fragrances because it is quite strong.
    Last edited by bbBD; 18th August 2008 at 04:29 PM. Reason: add info

I second tha' YSL Rive Gauche P H.
    - A spritz of Caron may be quite continental, but (a flacon of) Guerlain is a perfumisto's best friend...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by skyzerfizer View Post
    Hey everyone, so I've recently become interested in acquiring a new scent/cologne (the whole deal: cologne, aftershave and deodorant). I'm currently a college student studying in northern New York so I will be dealing with mainly cold weather throughout the school year.

So far I have Armani Mania (for casual and professional wear) and Chanel Homme Sport (for when I become more active and such). But, I would like to add something that is a little more vibrant that would be mainly used for nights out on the town, be it at a club or on a date. Something that's fairly versatile but mainly defined by how it attracts a woman's senses.

Dior Homme
    Gucci Envy for Men
    Le Male

Does anybody have any particular suggestion or a top favorite (for those party nights, dates, etc...)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    It hasn't been said but do make sure you try these out before springing for a bottle, there are a few on there that are not "instant favorites", Dior Homme comes to mind immediately.

I would add Baldessarini Ambre and Armani Code to the list to be tried, they do very well in cold weather and can be worn in a variety of situations.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

I've tried Armani Code and I still feel like I want something bolder... and the YSL Rive Gauche PH seems to be a bit too much for me whereas Gucci Envy seems like a safe bet.

For starting out my collection I feel like it would be smart to just play it safe and get a few of the classics and not go as bold as JPG Le Male or Rive Gauche PH until I have a steady foundation. I'm simply just looking for something to grab the attention of the woman I'm with at the time to just draw them a bit closer and attract them.

Does anyone have any preference for Must De Cartier PH for a 20 year old college student? Cost isn't really a factor. Although, I still feel inclined for some reason to go for Envy...

I second Dior Homme -- I gave it to my husband as a gift, so here's another indication that women like it! it's definitely not the "macho" scent and I think that's what attracted me.

Blog Entries

I haven't tried the Must de Cartier, the only offering of there's I've tried is Pasha and I liked it, which brings up another possible recommendation, Chanel Platinum Egoiste.

Le Male can be pretty loud, you're right. And someone had to say it, have you tried Terre d'Hermes?
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    I haven't tried the Must de Cartier, the only offering of there's I've tried is Pasha and I liked it, which brings up another possible recommendation, Chanel Platinum Egoiste.

Le Male can be pretty loud, you're right. And someone had to say it, have you tried Terre d'Hermes?
    I've tried Terre d'Hermes in a shop and I didn't really fall in love with it. But I'm not familiar with Platinum Egoiste. How is that?

I would recommend Rive Gauche. I don't think it is too much for a novice... You can handle it easily. trust me. It is a delicious perfume.

Does anyone have any preference for Must De Cartier PH for a 20 year old college student?
    I'm not familiar with this fragrance but wear what you are comfortable wearing and love. I wouldn't class fragrances by age.

If you like Gucci Envy, get it! It's good stuff, but then I like most of the choices on your list. I find YSL Body Kouros very similar to Le Male but nicer and slightly addictive . Still rather strong though... on me anyway.

By the way, welcome to Basenotes!

Have you tried YSL - L'Homme?
    If not, please give it a full wearing. The opening notes smell alot like D&G pour homme but afterwards, it becomes so beautifull! A bit "flowery" and maybe green to my nose, must be the violet leaves and ginger, (NOT feminine at all!) & there's no tobacco in it like D&G.
    It really smells nice, not overpowering at all and it's a scent with good longevity.
    I'm pretty sure you'll like it.
    I'm a 21 year old college student and have had great responses with this one

You can wear L'Homme in any occasion, and especially on a romantic date.

I also think you can try Armani - Code, it's a scent ladies seem to like and a good one in colder weather or one you could wear when attending a party

Let us know what you've chosen!

UPDATE: I now see you'd like something bolder than Code, well then, try Boss - Bottled, http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120240.html One of the most popular scents in Belgium, Germany and The Netherlands and relatively unkown in the USA.
    Most ladies love this one and I think you'll also like it because it has some resemblance with the original Allure. But be carefull, if you spray more than twice it becomes too "warm/woody" for me, very weird as it's fresh to me when I use only one spray
    Last edited by Desmond Hume; 19th August 2008 at 05:11 PM.

I don't know why but Black Aoud was the first fragrance that popped into my mind when I read your initial post.

I know that you subsequently modified your quest to 'more vibrant yet safer' scents but I am sticking with Black Aoud, just spray a little less!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Wink Re: New Addition to Collection

I've tried Terre d'Hermes in a shop and I didn't really fall in love with it. But I'm not familiar with Platinum Egoiste. How is that?
    If you want the ladies attention..This is a safe bet.. quality frag.. with a name.. that just oozes class! (This is for Platinum Egoiste NOT Terre D Hermes)_
    Last edited by deck89; 19th August 2008 at 07:34 PM.

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Believe me... Terre d'Hermčs really isn't a scent ladies love... However, if you want them to gag, go for it

Quote Originally Posted by Jokke View Post
    Believe me... Terre d'Hermčs really isn't a scent ladies love... However, if you want them to gag, go for it

I second that -- Terre d"Hermes is the kind of citrusy/macho scent that I don't like, although it's a nice kind of citrusy/macho, not the obnoxious macho.

Dior Homme
    Gucci Envy for Men
    Le Male

Thanks in advance.
    I like "le male". can't go wrong with that.

Blog Entries

I almost forgot to post, I did get to try the Must De Cartier; very nice! Cinnamon and anise on a sandalwood bed, somewhat similar to Le Male. It should work rather well in cold weather. I also tried the Gucci Envy and was sort of underwhelmed, it was a greener, more oriental take on Gucci Pour Homme (complete with pencil shavings in the base), not quite what I was expecting.

I also tried and would second YSL L'Homme. Wonderful scent.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Well from what everyone is saying and what i've read, it appears that Envy is more of a seductive/classy dating cologne so i'll pick that up for more intimate events. Yet, I'm still undecided on what to wear out on nights that I go out - be it to a party or even a date (I want something versatile): so tomorrow i'm going to go to the store and sample these three:

Platinum Egoiste
    YSL L'Homme
    YSL Rive Gauche PH

Wish me luck!

Blog Entries

I haven't been able to try Rive Gauche yet (shame on me!) but the other two are excellent. Let us know what you think!
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Well from what everyone is saying and what i've read, it appears that Envy is more of a seductive/classy dating cologne so i'll pick that up for more intimate events. Yet, I'm still undecided on what to wear out on nights that I go out - be it to a party or even a date (I want something versatile): so tomorrow i'm going to go to the store and sample these three:

Platinum Egoiste
    YSL L'Homme
    YSL Rive Gauche PH

Wish me luck!

I really dislike envy. it's not my favorite fragrance and is quite spicy for a college student. Make sure you get a sample to get an opinion first. I would rather substitute YSL's l'homme instead -- very classy.

Sur la Plage

Platinum Egoiste
    YSL L'Homme
    YSL Rive Gauche PH

Wish me luck!
    Unfortunately I doubt you will find Rive Gauche PH in any major department/fragrance store in the US. But you may find it at a smaller mom & pop type fragrance store or someplace like a Perfumania. I have also seen it in YSL boutique stores.

Happy sampling!
    Last edited by petruccijc; 20th August 2008 at 05:53 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Alright, so today I had the chance to go to the mall with a friend and spend a few hours perusing while testing colognes at the same time. I sampled a vast amount of colognes... everything from Must De Cartier to YSL L'Homme to Dior Fahrenheit, and of course, the ones mentioned above (yet, I couldn't find Rive Gauche PH).

From my hours, and my friend's guidance, she and I determined that the best ones were YSL L'Homme, Gucci Envy, and Chanel Platinum Egoiste. From that I decided to purchase Envy and Platinum Egoiste, with a stick of deodorant for each to allow for layering.

I think i'll try to find the YSL Rive Gauche PH as the L'Homme seemed a little too light for what I needed, and I'm curious to see how it smells. Also I should note that everyone in their reviews were exactly correct when they say that Plat. Egoiste really doesn't come off as enjoyable until about a minute after it settles down. I ended up putting some onto my wrists and can still smell it now - by far more enticing and enjoyable than I could have ever imagined. My friend even added that the smell was drawing her in almost like it was presenting a beckoning finger towards her.

I have to say, thank you all so much for your help and information as I became a member of this community and a pursuer of the finer scents in life.

Superb choices.. Good luck with handling all the women that will be flocking you!!