Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Favourite Orange Blossom scent.

I have become really fond of Orange Blossom as a note in perfume.
    It is so cheerful and romantic! I have and enjoy Fleur d'Oranger
    by Fragonard and AA Flora Nerolia. Which other OB scents might I
    like? What is the Serge Lutens one like?

Default Re: Favourite Orange Blossom scent.

The Lutens is heady; I like orange blossom as well and it is my favorite of the SL export line.

The 24 Faubourg body cream is beautiful and long lasting.

The L'Artisan orange blossom is beautiful but fleeting.

The Jo Malone orange blossom is fleeting as well.

Jo Malone is my very favorite. The SL has a very strong white flower bouquet in addition to the orange blossom, and it's gorgeous. My favorite flower smell, despite my passion for growing roses, is orange blossom, yet I have the hardest time finding orange blossom fragrances to love. I have and love the Fragonard, which is deeper and less citrus than the Jo Malone. I tried Clementine Perfume Oil by Melissa Flagg, and it smelled fantastic for about an hour. The drydown on me was very, very cloying and headache-inducing, unfortunately. But it does smell lovely...very true to the flower. I also had Melissa Flagg Daisies, which does justice to orange blossom, but on me smelled like a little girl perfume. I gave it to an 8 year old neighbor, and it suits her. (It's like L'Occitane Honey Water with orange blossom instead of honeysuckle). My husband thinks Marc Jacobs edt smells just like orange blossom...

I can't wait to see all the replies here, because I'm always on the hunt for more orange blossom!

For women, I like Lutens Fleur d'Oranger more than the Lartisan rendition.
    -

Ava Luxe has two Orange fragrances that are very nice. One is called Neroli Blossom, and the other is Fleur d'Oranger. Another one that is really beautiful is KL. It is an oriental with a strong orange blossom note.

From a friend: Bourbon French Orange Blossom, parfum only.

The SL is barley-like orange blossom on me, and obviously competitive with tuberose. Yves Rocher is very soapy, but enjoyable. L'Artisan is just a delight, more so with the addition of the beeswax (I did not buy this one).

Armanuu code! Amazing orange blossom

My favorites are
    Serge Lutens - Fleurs d'Oranger
    L'Artisan Fragrances - Fleur d'Oranger 2005
    L'Artisan Fragrances - La Chasse aux Papillons
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

I may be run out of town, but I'm really enjoying the orange blossom in 4711 eau de cologne in the summer swelter. Unfortunately, it lasts two about seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklibran1 View Post
    Armanuu code! Amazing orange blossom
    Yes, Armani Code for women is a very good and cost-effective orange blossom fragrance.
    -

Yes, I must get some Armani Code. I liked the sample when it first came out - didn't realise
    why, but now I see (orange blossom!!) Will test the SL next month when I am in France.

Try Fendi Palazzo - its a fun, grown-up orange blossom.

Forgot Narcisse Blanc and Narcisse Noir. I prefer the Blanc; heady and perfumey.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Bourbon French Orange Blossom, parfum only.
    I found the BF OB really odd and not particularly pleasant. Do you remember this one, TaoLady?

Used to love Jo Malone, but got bored with it.

Plan to test Annick Goutal Neroli when I visit Chicago next month. It's got favorable reviews.

I like the orange top notes in Boucheron, too.

Yves Rocher (just got a bottle of the orange blossom) products have both a strongly compelling quality and, at the same time, something that pushes me away. I'd also bought a bottle of the liquid hand soap in orange blossom, and I like that better than the cologne, so I'm thinking about getting a gallon of unscented hand wash and pouring some of the Yves Rocher scents into it to see if that's a better medium. There's something with their orange blossom--something, um, woody?
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I really like Love by By Kilian, the neroli note is very prominent to me. I find it quite cheerful and uplifting. Its sillage is quite good and its longevity is even better.

Please reference this recent thread:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=213388

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    Yes, I must get some Armani Code. I liked the sample when it first came out - didn't realise
    why, but now I see (orange blossom!!) Will test the SL next month when I am in France.
    I've had Armani Code on my 'want' list for ages. I don't know why I don't buy a bottle. Every time I see one, I say 'yes, one day I'll get that', but I never do. Weird.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Must try Armani Code...

Does anyone know of a 'dark' orange blossom like the discontinued OLD brown L'Occitaine one? I have a bottle but am rationing it.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Guess I must try Armani Code....had no idea it was so heavy on orange blossom.

Right now, 24 Faubourg has enough orange blossom to soothe me, but now I'm curious about Code

Hmmm. I found SL Fleurs de Citronnier to be very rich with orange and neroli blossom, and feels actually fresher to me than his Fleurs d'Oranger. I chose it because of it's trueness to neroli (on my skin) with a softness that is not toooo sweet. I think it's a great scent, personally, and worth a sniff or two.

I'll put in my plug for a lesser-known neroli scent. (I think that is a beautiful fragrance note.)
    ZOHAR by Ayala Moriel. It is gorgeous, complex, languid... well worth sampling.
    I can vouch for the quality of her products. She is an artisan perfumer, makes small batches with a lot of creativity.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I love, love, LOVE the Nerola Orange Blossom perfume and body butter by Pacifica. It's just intoxicating and the price is so great, I can spray with abandon

A sample of Eau de Naphe which Coconut has kindly sent me reminds me alot of SL Fleus d'Oranger, with a bit more musk.

I recently bought Armani Code And, indeed, it's a lovely take on orange blossom that's perfect for evening wear. When I first tried it several years ago, I thought it was too fruity, but it doesn't seem fruity to me anymore, so either my chemistry has changed, or I've become anosmic to fruit. (Wordbird, I think you'd really like Code. It's definitely "darker" than most orange blossoms. To my nose it's an Oriental, which, if memory serves me, was the category for the L'Occitane as well?) Code is a warm, powdery orange blossom, with gentle spices and a honeyed sweetness. The topnotes smell exactly like the flowers on my pittosporum in my garden. Pittosporum is also known as "mock orange blossom."

A few other orange blossoms I recently thought of: Bond No. 9 Eau de New York, Mazzolari Marina, and Sage Coral.

The Bourbon French is a must-try for you! I owned it years ago, and I must get it again. How did this one slip my mind? It's lovely.

As soon as Yves Rocher Orange Blossom became available, I immediately ordered a full bottle, plus deodorant, and lotion, and, sadly, it was a mistake. The topnotes are very nice, but when this dries down on me it smells like warm, sour orange juice.

I need to try that Pacifica!
    Last edited by Tovah; 16th September 2008 at 05:50 PM.

I just ordered a sample of Jo Malone Orange Blossom and I can't wait! After trying his "Nectarine Blossom and Honey", it became my favorite fragrance... to wear in secret because I'm a guy and it's really feminine. But I don't care muahahaha. I ordered 16 of his samples now actually.

Hey, I don't mean to make you feel even more trend-bucking than you already do, but Jo Malone is also a woman, as well as making female fragrance. Actually, I don't believe she personally does it any more, but the line carries her name. Glad you like 'em - am very partial to the Kohdo Woods Collection myself. Just bought a FB of each.

Ah, I was expecting an italian uber-macho guy actually. I ordered the 2 special Kohdo Woods as well.

You did well there, for in every country where they launch that duo, it sells out in a flash! It is meant to be a limited edition, but it was too limited apparently for the demand they received, so I heard a rumour it may be coming back again next spring. If that doesn't happen, we are both sitting - and smelling! - pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Must try Armani Code...

Does anyone know of a 'dark' orange blossom like the discontinued OLD brown L'Occitaine one? I have a bottle but am rationing it.
    Same for me, what a shame they discontinued it!!! First I was hoping it would only come out with a different packaging, but the new Neroli is nothing like the old one which imho is the closest to real orange flower. booohooo :0(

I've been enjoying Ava Luxe's Neroli Blossom, which I recently purchased from SueBee here on Basenotes. It has the bittersweet pungency of the steam-distilled neroli blossom, as opposed to the creamy indolic sovlent extracted orange blossom like Jo Malone's, which smells more like the creamy living blossom. I just recently learned the difference between these two methods of extraction, so now I understand why there are such differences among fragrances called "orange blossom" or "neroli blossom". It really had me confused for a while (am I the only one here who was/is confused by this?). Anyway, Ava Luxe Neroli Blossom is a calming scent to me, and just one little spritz is enough - it's very potent. I looked up the aromatherapeutic properties of neroli and saw that it is indeed reputed to be calming. I remember this smell from when I was a little girl. My mother had brought me an orange blossom souvenir perfume from Florida. The glass perfume bottle was encapsulated in a wooden orange. It was cute, but I didn't really like the smell - it was strange to me. Now, I love it. Nose glued to wrist, doing the Basenotes salute.

Basenotes Institution

Wearing the Jo Malone today for the 1st time - wow, it smells good. I love it!

Reading this thread I realize I've never smelled Armani Code. Next time I'm at Sephora I'll seek it out.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I really like Tom Fords Neroli Portofino

Jo Malone Orange Blossom is so wonderful! It is also my favorite so far. I have become increasingly curious about Le Labo Fleur d'Oranger 27, mind...
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I'm awaiting the arrival of my fav, L'Artisan Fleur d'Oranger 2007. It is exquisite and I find that it lasts and lasts if I spray it on just before dressing; some of the fragrance gets into the clothing that way and it wafts up at me deliciously all day. For the longest time I wasn't sure about this one but I finally "got" the beeswax/honey note and then I fell entirely in love with it. I needed to save up for it-- it cost waaay more than I usually spend on perfumes.

In the meantime, still hoping to find a cheaper orange blossom, I tried the Jo Malone (found it too indolic for my taste), Pacifica Nerola Orange Blossom (nice but fleeting, on me-- but at $22 definitely one to try!); a discontinued and mediocre body spray by Avon; C&S Neroli (which has some orange blossom in it in addition to the neroli-- very nice but if I was going to spend that much I might as well spend a bit more and get the one I prefer); AA Flora Nerolia (nothing short of excellent but more jasmine than orange blossom -- I consider it my favorite jasmine); SL Fleur d'Oranger (too spicy for me) and SMN Zagara-- which is pleasant but again, doesn't last-- and too much bergamot for me in any case. Oh, and also AG Neroli, which I flat out do not like. I find that one bitter and dry.

I finally gave up and ordered what I like best and hang the expense!

Wow, what a surprise to see my thread from last autumn ressurected!
    I still favour Fragonard's Fleur d'Oranger above all others, with AA
    Florea Nerolia in second place. Now is the season to begin wearing my orange blossom lovelies!
    I still haven't got round to buying Armani Code, however.
    Zara do a nice, cheap orange blossom scent too. Zagara or some such name.

In a way I'm lucky because the highly rated L'Artisan orange blossom turned on my skin and went from breath-taking to BO in the dry-down. So I don't have to agonise about that.

I have to second Tom Ford's Neroli Portofino; it's really lovely. I've also warmed to the Dior Escale Porfofino (what is it with the Portofino? ).

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    I really like Tom Fords Neroli Portofino

Yup. I've been enabled, LOL! Love this!

Agree with the Neroli Portofino - if money were no object, that would probably be my favourite orange blossom scent, followed by L'Artisan Fleur D'Oranger as has been mentioned (again, were money not an issue!). Armani Prive Oranger Alhambra (approx!) is nice but super fleeting, so I would say the only cheapie orange blossom I have found to love is Jo Malone's, and she is not that cheap. Don't care for Armani Code myself, sadly, and the SL Fleur d'Oranger is a bit giddy making.
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 20th April 2009 at 06:28 PM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Have you guys tried Miller Harris Le Petit Grain? I passed on my sample, but I recall it was lovely -- a touch greener than Artisan's Fleur d'Oranger. (I'm wearing Fleur d'Oranger today and it reminded me of Le Petit Grain somehow, although I can't compare them side by side).

BTW, SL Fleur d'Oranger was a bit heady for me -- too many white flowers.

Blog Entries

I ended up doing a side-by-side-outside today with SL FdO, C&S Neroli, and my riotously blooming Valencia orange tree. I now realize how very, very sweet the FdO is to my nose. There is something like an indolic edge trying to get thru, but it seems to be struggling against the sweetness. It's also rather clean-smelling in that it lacks the earthiness of actual orange blossom. I don't mind that the slightly rotting indolic aspect is mostly removed, but I do like the dirt-like (not skanky-dirty) impression I get from the true blossom. Fortunately, I get it in C&S Neroli. C&S Neroli also has a sweet side, like lime-flavored simple syrup, but it works. The opening accords are traditionally cologne-y (citrusy and astringent, and perhaps a touch soapy) then the sweet lime/citrus comes up big and strong. Not for long though, after only 20 minutes or so it settles down and marries nicely with the astringency. And there's the earthiness! A touch of green dirt, vetiver-like, makes this neroli much more like what I get from our tree, and also much more to my taste.

Next time I go sniffing, I intend to try L'Occitane Neroli and Jo Malone Orange Blossom (and L'Artisan, if available). This is the perfect time of year for exploring these notes-- warm spring weather, but not so hot that they'll go funky on me like they do in summer. And I'll carry the C&S sample with me.

And it seems to me I have a sample of Armani Code around here ... somewhere...
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    Have you guys tried Miller Harris Le Petit Grain? I passed on my sample, but I recall it was lovely -- a touch greener than Artisan's Fleur d'Oranger. (I'm wearing Fleur d'Oranger today and it reminded me of Le Petit Grain somehow, although I can't compare them side by side).

BTW, SL Fleur d'Oranger was a bit heady for me -- too many white flowers.
    I'm curious about MH Le Petit Grain, too? Any commenters out there? I like L'Artisan's FdO, but I'd like it even better tempered with a little green.

I'm with you, Kess, on the SL FdO. Too much for me, too!

I am retesting the SL FdO today and am happy to say that on skin, after a decent interlude, it really is rather lovely - intoxicating, certainly - but not as heady as I remembered. There is also a sparkling brightness to it despite the white flowers.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

has anyone tried the prada infusion de fleur d'oranger? i got a decant from a very generous person, and it is very lovely. i think i am going to buy a full bottle and spray liberally all summer.

other orange blossoms i like:
    - jo malone orange blossom for straight up
    - serge lutens for orange blossoms at night
    - neroli portofino for fresh, citrus, crisp orange blossom

I have and love Neroli Portofino

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

EDIT 11/20/10
    Since this post, L'Artisan FdO has won my heart as my favorite.

It's called Lace Orange Flower. The SA was willing to spritz 1 ml or so into the empty plastic atomizer I conveniently had in my purse, so I'll wear it more fully tomorrow and report on the SotD thread.

First impressions: this is a simple orange blossom scent, quite pleasant-- not my fav (that's L'Artisan's) but not bad for the money. (I thought it was better than the new Prada one.) Introductory price $45 for 1.7 ml (to go up later to $55.) The bottle is pretty and comfortable to hold and use and the packaging is attractive (good for a Mother's Day gift maybe?) There is also a large plastic bottle of body mist in the same scent for $28. I did not see a tester of that.

EDIT 5/3: I returned to buy the EdP, and they opened one of the 8.4 oz. body mists to let me test it as well. The mist is very nice! Lasts about 2 hours, and $28 isn't bad.

Here is the link to the Victoria's Secret page for this scent:
    http://www2.victoriassecret.com/comm...AFPRFZZZ&atb=C

This EdP is one of 4 "Parfums Intimes". They are mild-- expect about 4 hours' wear out of them, from initial impressions. (Edit: I can still smell the lingering scent of this one and Mandarin Santal after 3 hours.)

http://www2.victoriassecret.com/coll...ZZZ&rfnbr=6158

Silk Mandarin Santal is quite wearable. It starts off citrusy and peppery-- pleasantly invigorating. Two hours later now I'm enjoying the drydown smell on my arm-- straightforward sandalwood with a hint of mandarin remaining. I may go back and try to get a small sample of that one.
    Satin Rose de Mai doesn't smell of rose very much at all and was disappointing.
    I did not try Cashmere Vanilla Jasmine. Having tested other fragrances at Nordstrom and Sephora, by then I had run out of free spots on my arms!
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 20th November 2010 at 07:29 PM. Reason: update

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I wore my sample of Victoria's Secret Lace Orange Flower EdP all day today and give it a thumbs-up as a straightforward, fresh, non-cloying and just-plain-likeable orange blossom perfume that is suitable for girls, for teens, for your mom, for the office etc. Sillage is relatively low so you won't asphyxiate anyone near you!

I know it's an EdP but it wears more like an EdT. Lasted 4 hours on skin but now, 6 hours later, I can still smell it on my clothes.

New at this and certainly no expert but saw 'Orange Blossom' and thought I'd chip in. Was out last night and there is a new Prada 'Infusion de Fleur d'Orange' (?) being launched here. I got a sparay on paper and I can only describe it (with my limited 'pallette' ) as having a remarkable L'Heure Bleue reference in the opening and then softening into the 'quality' of TDC Bois d'Iris - moist, almost the 'water in the vase' but in a good way - fresh, a little raw and 'cut stems'. Not qualified to talk about notes / ingredients etc but seemed pretty linear through the evening and today (15 hours later) the paper has a light scent that is warm and even still has a bit of sparkle. I'm a GIT guy still exploring niche scents so apologies if this is vague but it's new and might be worth having a look For what it's worth I quite like it and the lady having dinner with me did too.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 3rd May 2009 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    New at this and certainly no expert but saw 'Orange Blossom' and thought I'd chip in. Was out last night and there is a new Prada 'Infusion de Fleur d'Orange' (?) being launched here. I got a sparay on paper and I can only describe it (with my limited 'pallette' ) as having a remarkable L'Heure Bleue reference in the opening and then softening into the 'quality' of TDC Bois d'Iris - moist, almost the 'water in the vase' but in a good way - fresh, a little raw and 'cut stems'. Not qualified to talk about notes / ingredients etc but seemed pretty linear through the evening and today (15 hours later) the paper has a light scent that is warm and even still has a bit of sparkle. I'm a GIT guy still exploring niche scents so apologies if this is vague but it's new and might be worth having a look For what it's worth I quite like it and the lady having dinner with me did too.
    Welcome to Basenotes

Alas, us girls on this side of the forum (and many of the boys who pop over to chat) kind of thought the new Prada smelled like boring orange linen water.

Thanks for the welcome and for the link, there were no reviews but missed this - seems I got the 'linear' bit right

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Thanks for the welcome and for the link, there were no reviews but missed this - seems I got the 'linear' bit right
    Yes, I guess so! I felt it was a non-event and instead of being linear, it faded and fell apart very quickly.

Orange Blossom is one of my all time faves!

The L'Artisan was too fleeting on me, especially for the money.
    Serge Lutens FdO is lovely, rich and intoxicating. I bought a bottle and am thrilled with it still.
    I also own a bottle of Santa Maria Novella Zagara. I adore this one too: more fresh citrus, less heady than the SL.

Running out now to try the Jo Malone and Neroli Portofino...

Blog Entries

Here's a rather comprehensive list of great Orange Blossom fragrances:

Santa Maria Novella Acqua de Colonia....i Profumi di Firenze Zagara...Borsari....Mazzolari...Hierbas de Ibiza....Czech & Speake Neroli...Maitre Profumeur et Gantier Eau Pour Le Jeune Homme....Norma Kamali Zagara...Parfums de Nicolai Cologne Sologne...Tsi-La Fiori d'Arancio....Tom Ford's Private Blend Collection Neroli Portofino....and Jane Hendler's Blooms de Nuit.

I know the gods of perfume will forgive me, but I adore 24, Faubourg and Etiquette Bleue.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

This thread is a real blast from the past!
    Here are some:
    Mazzolari - Fleurs d'Oranger
    Profumum - Neroli
    Last edited by kumquat; 25th February 2010 at 01:14 AM.

I still have a dream orange blossom fragrance in my head, something really heady but also very spicy, but I've yet to smell it real time. Serge Lutens' version wasn't it, I'm afraid, though very nice in its own way.

I had a little decant of Jabu, by Mona di Orio, and I fell in love with it. It's an orange blossom fragrance with a beautiful supporting cast of notes. Listed notes are monoi oil aromas, petit grain, orange blossom, Damascena rose, amyris, plum, myrrh, benzoin and honey. This fragrance is just beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I wore my sample of Victoria's Secret Lace Orange Flower EdP all day today and give it a thumbs-up as a straightforward, fresh, non-cloying and just-plain-likeable orange blossom perfume that is suitable for girls, for teens, for your mom, for the office etc. Sillage is relatively low so you won't asphyxiate anyone near you!

I know it's an EdP but it wears more like an EdT. Lasted 4 hours on skin but now, 6 hours later, I can still smell it on my clothes.
    This is one of my husband's all-time favs on me. It also comes in a body lotion. As you mentioned in your earlier post, it is nicely priced and sometimes on sale.

This also strikes me as an eau fraiche unisex in that it is very citrusy, with both orange notes and grapefruit.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Hillaire

I am really enjoying my Tom Ford PB (That's Private Blend, not for the riffraff!) Neroli Portofino. I find the neroli lasts a very long time.

For those who like Neroli Portofino, I highly recommend giving CdG Anbar a try. I find the two too similar in the drydown to want NP.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by seattlelight View Post
    Forgot Narcisse Blanc and Narcisse Noir. I prefer the Blanc; heady and perfumey.
    +1 Narcisse Noir.
    Jo Malone - OK but got bored with my sample - like Quarry.
    24 Faubourg
    Sergie Lutens' is wonderful .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 25th February 2010 at 06:25 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.