Code of Conduct

Default "THE NAME OF THE NOSE" which (Nose) perfumer's creations you would buy blind.

name a Nose (perfumer) whose every creation you have liked and would buy their next fragrance blind. (most likely to anyway)
    Last edited by afraafra; 19th August 2008 at 06:53 AM.

Default Re: "THE NAME OF THE NOSE" which (Nose) Perfumer's creations you would buy blind.

Jacques Polge (most Chanels plus Tiffany for men..)
    Jaccque Cavallier (Issey Myake, Bulgari Aqua, The Blanc, Pasha, Kingdom...)
    Maurice Roucel (Musc Ravageur, Rochas Man, Hypnose..)
    Last edited by afraafra; 18th August 2008 at 05:33 PM.

Default Re: "THE NAME OF THE NOSE" which perfumer's creations you would buy blind.

creed.

Default Re: "THE NAME OF THE NOSE" which (Nose) perfumer's creations you would buy blind.

Jacques Cavallier/Alberto Morillas

Default Re: "THE NAME OF THE NOSE" which (Nose) perfumer's creations you would buy blind.

Not from the best perfumers would I buy blind.
    But if I would : Lorenzo Villoresi and Francis Kurkdjian have made a lot of perfumes I wear now, or hope to wear in the near future.
    Last edited by narcus; 19th August 2008 at 07:30 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I am not sure I could say I would buy anything blind - though if I had to I would play attention to the house, too, since they set the budgets and give the "vision."

I have a weakness for Pierre Bourdon (French Lover, GIT and Cool Water)

But I also like the work of Celine Ellena for her Sel de Vetiver - and think she takes after her father's minimalism, but for some reason I am more satisfied with her results than his.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Maurice Roucel and Olivia Giacobetti
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Sur la Plage

None
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    though if I had to I would play attention to the house, too, since they set the budgets and give the "vision."

Good point about the role of the House, would anyone say it's a 50/50 influence or the Nose has more say...I have a feeling "budget" plays a bigger part than one would imagine...

Mark Buxton, so long as the notes did not include anything anisic.

None, even at discount. It's like buying a painting without looking at it.

I like Piet Mondrian's works but not all of them. If someone said, "Hey I have an undiscovered Mondrian painting would you like to buy it only $2,000! Oh, only one catch you can't see it." I would tell them to use the canvas to go fly a kite.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Same here, though having said that, Olivia Gicobetti has a higher hit rate with me than most.

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    Same here, though having said that, Olivia Gicobetti has a higher hit rate with me than most.

I did no her and found a list of O Giacobetti creations, maybe of interest:

Costes Costes (for her and him)
    D-Orsay Tilleul (for her)
    Diptyque Ofresia (for her)
    Diptyque Philosykos (for her and him)
    Frederic Malle En Passant (for her)
    Hermes Hiris (for her)
    L Artisan Parfumeur Dzing! (for her)
    L Artisan Parfumeur Extrait de Songe (for her)
    L Artisan Parfumeur Fou d`Absinthe (for him)
    L Artisan Parfumeur L'Eau de L'Artisan (for her and him)
    L Artisan Parfumeur L’Ete en Douce (for her)
    L Artisan Parfumeur Mandarine Tout Simplement (for her)
    L Artisan Parfumeur Premier Figuier (for her)
    L Artisan Parfumeur The Pour Un Ete (for her)
    Lubin Idole (for him)
    Michel Klein Cher (for her)

I like Piet Mondrian's works but not all of them. If someone said, "Hey I have an undiscovered Mondrian painting would you like to buy it only $2,000! Oh, only one catch you can't see it." I would tell them to use the canvas to go fly a kite.

http://www.artchive.com/artchive/m/m...blue_plane.jpg

Well thanks for intro to Mondrian, but if it was not fake, I'm sure you would regret NOT paying the $2000!

I wouldn't buy blind because I've grown to love sampling, but if I were to buy blind simply based on the perfumer alone, here's who I'd do it from:

Jean Laporte (MPG, older L'Artisans)
    Isabelle Doyen (Annick Goutal, Les Nez)
    Daniela Andrier (Prada.. I really enjoy Prada Amber and although Infusion d'Iris is similar and it sounds like Infusion d'Homme is too, I think I'd enjoy them both. I just fear she is retreading the same ground a bit too closely)
    Richard Fraysse (In house perfume of Caron. He doesn't get much love.. i've only sniffed one of his creations though, L'Anarchiste, which is brilliant.)

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I wouldn't buy blind because I've grown to love sampling, but if I were to buy blind simply based on the perfumer alone, here's who I'd do it from:

Jean Laporte (MPG, older L'Artisans)
    Isabelle Doyen (Annick Goutal, Les Nez)
    Daniela Andrier (Prada.. I really enjoy Prada Amber and although Infusion d'Iris is similar and it sounds like Infusion d'Homme is too, I think I'd enjoy them both. I just fear she is retreading the same ground a bit too closely)
    Richard Fraysse (In house perfume of Caron. He doesn't get much love.. i've only sniffed one of his creations though, L'Anarchiste, which is brilliant.)

Jean Laporte: Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Eau de Parfum de George Sand (for her)
    Isabelle Doyen:

Annick Goutal Ambre Fétiche (for her and him)
    Annick Goutal Duel (for him)
    Annick Goutal Encens Flamboyant (for her and him)
    Annick Goutal Heure Exquise (for her)
    Annick Goutal La Muguet (for her)
    Annick Goutal La Violette (for her)
    Annick Goutal Le Chevrefeuille (for her)
    Annick Goutal Le Jasmin (for her)
    Annick Goutal Les Nuits d'Hadrien (for her and him)
    Annick Goutal Mandragore (for her and him)
    Annick Goutal Musc Nomade (for her and him)
    Annick Goutal Myrrhe Ardente (for her and him)
    Annick Goutal Quel Amour! (for her)
    Annick Goutal Songes (for her)

Daniela Andrier:
    Ermenegildo Zegna Zegna Intenso (for him)
    Prada Amber

Richard Fraysse:
    Caron Caron Les Plus Belles Lavandes (for him)
    Caron Eaux de Caron Forte (for her)
    Caron Miss Rocaille (for her)
    Caron Montaigne (for her)

You would have to be an idiot not to buy an authentic Mondrian for $2000. Resale value?? Our government paid about $50M for Victory Boogie Woogie in 1998 and it's not even finished.

ontopic: I've never bought blind and I don't intend to. But if I were forced to it would probably be JC Ellena because there's nothing he's produced that I don't like and his style is very consistent. Maurice Roucel is my personal favourite but his fragrances vary much more, rendering the possibility of me not liking one a lot greater.
    Last edited by Merlino; 19th August 2008 at 09:06 AM.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

I have yet to find a Jacques Guerlain perfume that I don't like and find wearable by men. If I'm eventually able to track down the last existing perfumes of his that I don't own yet, I'd buy them instantly and unsniffed.

Nothing to do with the topic but interesting pic of a painting by Mondrian: found by complete accident, I was NOT searching for Mondrian!

http://www.aref-adib.com/archives/cat_art.html
    Last edited by afraafra; 19th August 2008 at 02:14 PM.

Without hesitating:

No. 1. Maurice Roucel
    No. 2. Jacques Polge

With a hint of precaution: Christopher Sheldrake...and many others...
    Last edited by MemoryServes; 19th August 2008 at 02:56 PM.

None.

But if you tied me up with a gun or some sharp object pointed at me -- then Olivia Giacobetti, Pierre Guillaume, Mark Buxton, or Mr. Ellena.
    Last edited by moltening; 19th August 2008 at 04:15 PM.

Off-Scenter

In short: none. On the other hand, I do take a particular interest in scents by Duchaufour and Giacobetti.

anyone do any blind purchases with mainstream?

The mad genius:

Alberto... http://perfumer.s-perfume.com/ALM/alm.jpg ...Morillas

1-Sophia Grojsman

2-Olivia Giacobetti

3- Jacques Polge

Andy Tauer

Post Re: "THE NAME OF THE NOSE" which (Nose) perfumer's creations you would buy blind.

Linda Pilkington
    Jean Laporte
    Patricia de Nicolaï
    Jacques Polge

Several others I'm sure, but these four for sure.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    You would have to be an idiot not to buy an authentic Mondrian for $2000. Resale value?? Our government paid about $50M for Victory Boogie Woogie in 1998 and it's not even finished.
    It could be fake. You have to see it to believe it.

Besides, Victory Boogie Woogie is a painting of NYC. America loves that town.

He´s not alive but...
    Ernest Daltroff (Caron)

I have tried:
    Alpona
    Bellodgia
    Pour un Homme
    En Avion
    Narcisse Noir
    Poivre
    Tabac Blond

Even if I don´t want to wear every fragrance I still want to smell its originality.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

It could be fake. You have to see it to believe it.

Besides, Victory Boogie Woogie is a painting of NYC. America loves that town.
    This is offtopic but do you honestly believe that you're capable of distinguishing a real Mondriaan from a fake one? There have been forgers good enough to con the original artists into thinking their forgeries were authentic.

Next: I don't see why VBW would be a painting of NYC or why that bears any relevance to the discussion?
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by tmp00 View Post
    Andy Tauer
    I'm with Tom on Andy Tauer. Thanks to Andy's kindness and generosity, you usually don't have to buy his stuff blind, but I have and would again.

Morning Star

None. There's no need to, especially since there is the Internet (generally) and BN (specifically) to hook people up with a sample of anything out there. As long as these resources are available, buying blind is tantamount to an impulse purchase, one made for immediate emotional satisfaction rather than as a result of patient evaluation.

... and have I ever done it? Suuuure.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    But I also like the work of Celine Ellena for her Sel de Vetiver - and think she takes after her father's minimalism, but for some reason I am more satisfied with her results than his.
    My feelings exactly. I am a fan of both. I feel that she has developed her own style, which takes the best of Jean Claude's technique and brings something even more. I would not buy blind, but for any of their scents that I love, I will gladly part with large sums of cash.

Without a shadow of doubt, within a heartbeat, at the drop of a hat and without so much as blinking an eye.. Bertrand Duchaufour.

Quote Originally Posted by Quixotiq View Post
    Without a shadow of doubt, within a heartbeat, at the drop of a hat and without so much as blinking an eye.. Bertrand Duchaufour.
    Are you sure?

Quote Originally Posted by afraafra View Post
    Are you sure?
    Quite. Thanks.

who created Gucci Envy, Guerlain L'Instant, L by lolita Lempicka, Bond #9 Riverside Drive and New Haarlem, Lalique Pour homme, Rochas....and of course the one and only Musc Ravageur.

Mourice Roucel.....my wardrobe is already like a shrine to this gourmand/oriental genius.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com