• Vetiver 1994

9 17.65%
  • Wild Lavender / Inglese 1996

2 3.92%
  • Yerbamate

13 25.49%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default POLL: "V for VILLORESI" best of Lorenzo

What are the best Lorenzo Villoresi fragrances in your opinion and why?
    Last edited by afraafra; 21st August 2008 at 08:18 AM.

Default Re: POLL: "V for Villoresi" best of Lorenzo

You forgot Acqua di Colonia
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matičre/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénčtrent le verre.

Blog Entries

Sandalo, Patchouli and Piper Nigrum for me
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

I was wild about Piper Nigrum in the early 2000's, but never replaced my finished bottle. The mentholated notes seemed so novel at the time. I picked Uomo, as it is quite lovely; my second choice would be his extremely wet vetiver.
    I tried Yerbamate last week and couldn't stand its thick, messy dry down.
    Villoresi seemed more important to me in the late 90's than it does now, due to the competition from all those fantastic antiquarian Italian houses.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 19th August 2008 at 06:16 AM.

I haven't tried all of them yet, but so far it's Piper Nigrum.

May I suggest your next poll be about the best unheard of celebrity fragrances entitled "Star Trek: The Undiscovered Fragrance"?

Basenotes Institution

Spezie, followed by the down-n-dirty Vetiver.

Spezie = spices and herbs extraordinaire!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 18th August 2008 at 08:33 PM.

Post Re: POLL: "V for Villoresi" best of Lorenzo

1. Sandalo..Rich, warm Sandlewood.
    2. Dilmun..Citrus,neroil, nirvana,almost approaches Eau Pour le Jeune Homme,MPG
    3. Incensi..cinnamon, spice, and everything nice.
    Last edited by Ron199; 18th August 2008 at 10:10 PM.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Post Re: POLL: "V for Villoresi" best of Lorenzo

Double post, sorry!
    Last edited by Ron199; 18th August 2008 at 10:46 PM.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    I haven't tried all of them yet, but so far it's Piper Nigrum.
    Ditto
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Acqua Di Colonia
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

This is my favorite house, so I have many favorites and they change from week to week. The ones at the very top are Piper Nigrum and Vetiver, but lately I've developed a surprising fondness for Garofano.

Villoresi Uomo
    Incensi
    Sandalo
    Vetiver
    Inglese

In this order, but all very closely bunched up. Inglese is the only one, in my opinion, that is strictly seasonal, that being summer.

Smile Re: POLL: "V for Villoresi" best of Lorenzo

Piper Nigrum for me.. Although I have only sampled three from the House!

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    You forgot Acqua di Colonia

It wasn't in the Basenotes Directory, I wonder why is it discontinued?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Villoresi seemed more important to me in the late 90's than it does now, due to the competition from all those fantastic antiquarian Italian houses.
    ....Which are? I urge you, tell us, please! I, admirer of Firenzes oldest great house, SMN, would hate to have missed the best things in my perfumed life when all days will have ended.

I marked an unusual high of five! Villoresi fragrances. Spezie is presently the one I reach for most. But these preferences can change, of course. Each time I wear S. I'm having a quiet little talk with more or less prominent authors now. Some just don't seem to 'get' this and other Villoresis. 'Not getting them' in my very own, admittedly subjective and probably rather narrow view, of course! Villoresi never tried to be 'French', and that alone would be praiseworthy, I find.
    Last edited by narcus; 19th August 2008 at 07:21 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Piper Nigrum wins the originality contest by far, unfortunately completely unwearable for me, used my bottle once (blind buy)...

Yerbamate is very unique as well and infinitely more acessible. The sweet hay note is great.

The cinnamon of Incensi is flawless, better and more complex than for instance Lutens' Rousse.

Teint de Neige is beautiful but more in an abstract, artful way. Maybe a mature elegant woman can pull it off....

Musk is a brilliant, creamy and different take on a classic note + the rose note shines.

Acqua Di Colonia is a great take on traditional cologne. Fresh, zesty and sporting great longevity for the genre.

The rest (especially in the fantasy series) I don't really care for, and some such as Spezie I find outright crappy - blunt, loaded with kitchen spice and uninspired. Too mediterranean in a bad way.

My vote goes to Incensi for versatility, wearability and overall quality.

/mmm

http://monkeymanmatts.blogspot.com/

Uomo is my favorite -- superb green/vetiver notes.
    Incensi is a close second -- a lovely cool green spice/ light incense

Don't like Yerbamate (too sweet, ambery, hay-like).
    Quite disappointed in Spezie. I love herbal scents. But this IMO has little herb and lots o' powdery vanilla. Not my cup of herbal tea.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Who says it should smell like tea ? Please have a look at this beautiful shop, full size recommended. A shop like this, and some dark, old pharmacy in a little provincial town, where peasants come to buy dried herbs, bitter lquids, and powdered roots to cure their illnesses - that's Villoresis Spezie for me. One or two hundred years back in the way we lived. Spezie is point zero on the scale of charming and beautiful, and it is not sweet either. I love it for all of that!

Il mondo di Spezie - Spices

Monkey Man Matt
    , thanks for your comments on
    Teint de Neige also, one of the few references to French traditions. You're the second person talking of an abstract composition, and I wonder what it means here. Powders are unthinkable without flowers I believed. Although PN seems to be the most popular one, I note with interest, that real Villoresi fans seem to be split when it comes to selecting a king. I find your preference for Incensi quite interesting. Wearability is an important quality for any perfume, of course. For my own pleasure I like to forget forget that factor sometimes.

Questions: Does anybody have an opinion on Alamut? Is it a feminine? Who has tried a perfume version, or a perfume in oil version of any of these?

ps
    : The directory still contains the original error: correct would be Teint de Neige, not Teinte, but such bugs have a habit of spreading rapidly.

Last edited by narcus; 20th August 2008 at 08:50 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I'm still a little down on the LV scents I have. They're nice, they are different takes on their elements, I've got special attachments to all of them, but they aren't carrying my brain away like a few MPGs, L'Artisans, and Diptyques do.

That said, my mom wore my sample of Yerbamate while on family vacation and she rocked it. She usually wears Habanita, Duel, and Eau de L'Artisan, but smelling her walking by in Yerbamate made me wonder why my LVs aren't singing to me as well as that.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

Spezie = spices and herbs extraordinaire!
    Absolutely agree! Thanks for introducing me to this, Mike.
    I remember not likeing this one at all at first. Now, I LOVE it!

Piper Nigrum was one I liked instantly, then I got sick while wearing it one Christmas Eve and ended up hateing it thereafter due to association... so much so that I actually ended up swapping it. I really wish I hadn't now.

Uomo, from what I can remember, is a fantastic classic scent I only got to experience from a small sample. I wouldn't mind revisiting again.

They all seem worthy of trying but the top 5 seems to be
    Piper Nigrum (does it SMELL like black pepper?)
    Uomo
    Yerbamate
    Vetiver
    Musk

Default Re: POLL: "V for VILLORESI" best of Lorenzo

I chose Incensi and Spezie. I've loved Incensi right from the beginning but I've woken up to Spezie only recently.

Wow.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by afraafra View Post
    Piper Nigrum (does it SMELL like black pepper?)
    Not exactly, bur there is certainly enough in it to justify the name. Pepper close up makes me sneeze, PN doesn't. The balsamic notes coming up during later stages are nice and kind of comforting. More? - buttons search ->advanced search->type: 'piper nigrum ->select: 'threads only', and you'll get about 20 threads full of opinions. That fragrance has class, and if you happen to know Guerlain's Coriolan or Derby youll get the idea. I omit Heritage here because I am not too keen on sweet fragrances, even in classics..

A warning on UOMO: it's really good, but it is not really typical for Villoresi. There are other fine fragrances in that league: Chanel's Pour Monsieur, YSL Homme, Les Nuits de Hadrien, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by afraafra View Post
    It wasn't in the Basenotes Directory, I wonder why is it discontinued?
    No, it is in production. A very fine Classic Eau type frag with a slight resinous touch and a neroli of wonderful quality. It sings.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Default Re: POLL: "V for VILLORESI" best of Lorenzo

Piper Nigrum and Incensi.