Code of Conduct

Default Lalique - Encre Noir (rantings on my favorite mystery scent)

...the Vetiver in this is not the vetiver we are so used to, it's not green like a Creed OV or a Mugler Colonge or Vetiver hombre, No, Not even close...matter of fact this is the dark side of Vetiver..

Think of a wooden chest, centuries old, lying somewhere in attic of your grand parents house. it's not made of any ordinary wood, but somethin very similar to Sandal wood..It's finished to perfection, weighs quite a lot and is huge enough for a healthy person to slide in. This wood, on the outside too has a damp aromatic quality to it..like wet wood.. open this chest and one is wowed by the amazing aroma of wood trapped inside, along with the smell of old dusty books and some spices which accidently fell in...on second sniff one could smell dust much more clearly..Encre Noir takes this dusty/woody approach and combines it earthy Vetivers...half an hour passes by....there is a smell of ink emanating from the books..but this is not like smelling ink directly..it's more like Ink spilled on paper..it's the smell of ink with paper. more of a mirage than anythin else

in a nutshell- after the card-boardish opening notes of ink, this scent single handedly takes the dry/woody/earthy approach to extremes. there is not a single fragrance released commercially that could match this(in niche category there are some)

It takes guts for a company to release a masterpiece like Encre Noir. Lalique has always released scents which are groudbreaking and creates new landmarks in the art of perfumery. Encre Noir is one of them, probably their boldest. it's no doubt a Comfort scent which will Shine is Winters. it'll provide one with the warmth and woody coziness required...and once you are home from a chilly day out and you are all set to sit by the bon-fire, be sure you have Encre noir by your side.

Perfumer: Nathalie Lorson
    Last edited by jenson; 18th August 2008 at 09:34 PM.

Default Re: Lalique - Encre Noir (rantings on my favorite mystery scent)

Nice. I am wearing this tonight. Vetiver is my drug.

By the way, I get a good bit of cypress in the drydown of this one. Oh and the bottle? The bottle rocks.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 18th August 2008 at 07:49 PM.

thnx Barry! and i know, if there is anyone here who digs vetiver based scents, it's you

tw, how to detect Cypress...? is tht the woody smell like card board/sandalwoody note...? any other scent with that note for reference....?
    Last edited by jenson; 18th August 2008 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    thnx Barry! and i know, if there is anyone here who digs vetiver based scents, it's you

tw, how to detect Cypress...? is tht the woody smell like card board like sandalwoody note...? any other scent with that note for reference....?
    I am comparing it to the cypress I got in AdP Tuscan Cypress. Yes it takes the sharpness of the vetiver and grapefruit and brushes it out and then I get the dustiness that smooths things out..I think that is the Cypress and maybe some musk working on the vetiver too.

Exclamation Re: Lalique - Encre Noir (rantings on my favorite mystery scent)

Great Rant!

Now all of us who adore Encre Noire must find a way to get them to give us the
    Edp version without having to spend $700 dollars for the cyrstal flanker!

Has anyone tried the edp? (sigh)
    Last edited by graffham; 18th August 2008 at 08:09 PM.

there is an Edp version..?? wow..has anyone sampled it...?

Blog Entries

agreed agreed agreed...

i can't stop praising this scent. it's incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    I am comparing it to the cypress I got in AdP Tuscan Cypress. Yes it takes the sharpness of the vetiver and grapefruit and brushes it out and then I get the dustiness that smooths things out..I think that is the Cypress and maybe some musk working on the vetiver too.
    thanx for your time and notes Barry. appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    agreed agreed agreed...

i can't stop praising this scent. it's incredible.

yes! it is.

btw, interesting - Helmut Lang Cuiron, EDC, and EDP // Encre Noire // Amsler Prive // Rive Gauche // Varvatos Vintage // Dior Homme // Paco Rabanne // Escada PH // Knize Ten (Golden Edition) // CdG Garage

only the Dior homme, paco and eascada seem to be the odd one out...especially Dior Homme...rest of ur collection is pretty dry stuff.

thanx for your time and notes Barry. appreciate it.
    No. Thank You for YOUR thoughts and review. I was just rambling and my time is cheap. LOL.

Blog Entries

yes! it is.

btw, interesting - Helmut Lang Cuiron, EDC, and EDP // Encre Noire // Amsler Prive // Rive Gauche // Varvatos Vintage // Dior Homme // Paco Rabanne // Escada PH // Knize Ten (Golden Edition) // CdG Garage

only the Dior homme, paco and eascada seem to be the odd one out...especially Dior Homme...rest of ur collection is pretty dry stuff.

agree pretty dry indeed! i actually consider Paco Rabanne to be pretty dry as well...although others may argue with me on that. Dior Homme and Escada are definitely the more juicy/sweet ones out of those....

for my collection, the future is LEATHER and dryness

I tried EN very briefly at a department store. I didn't like the topnotes, but I keep the card I sprayed it on until I got home. Smelt the drydown and was really intrigued. I've been meaning to revisit it, but keep pushing it off.

OK Jenson, your review and some of the other guys have caused me to pull the trigger on this one. It sounds great-- dry vetiver scents are the ones that work the best for me, so I'm stoked about this blind buy. I'll post a review when I get it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    OK Jenson, your review and some of the other guys have caused me to pull the trigger on this one. It sounds great-- dry vetiver scents are the ones that work the best for me, so I'm stoked about this blind buy. I'll post a review when I get it.
    you'll love it, man...

i bought this as a blind buy, and consider it a glorious victory!

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    I tried EN very briefly at a department store. I didn't like the topnotes, but I keep the card I sprayed it on until I got home. Smelt the drydown and was really intrigued. I've been meaning to revisit it, but keep pushing it off.
    about time (btw, love your sleek collection, some great choices in there)

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    will look forward to your thoughts Indie Guy.

about time (btw, love your sleek collection, some great choices in there)

will look forward to your thoughts Indie Guy.
    It's the site's new darling! All the cool kids will be wearing it. My hipster streak is going to get me to huff and puff about how MPG's Racine is so much better.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Nice. I am wearing this tonight. Vetiver is my drug.

By the way, I get a good bit of cypress in the drydown of this one. Oh and the bottle? The bottle rocks.
    Agreed. I get it too but I didn't know which note that was, now I know : It's Cypress. Thanks a lot for the identification

And great review Jenson!

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Smile Re: Lalique - Encre Noir (rantings on my favorite mystery scent)

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    you'll love it, man...

i bought this as a blind buy, and consider it a glorious victory!
    lol, the first time me and you have agreed on a scent...I was about to think you were some sort of smellie robot...;-) Beside this I will agree with everyone and say it smells freaking awesome, I got a sample from Aedes last week and loved it, Now I want to smell the EDP... Aedes's website has it in stock... I'll have to see this one in person and will be indulging in it very soon.
    Any Knowledge Is Good Knowledge For Me.......

This sounds really good...