Code of Conduct

Default Keiko Mecheri Musc - any opinions?

Has anyone worn/tried/bought Musc by Keiko Mecheri? Curious as to whether this is in the clean musk camp. I note it has tonka in it, so is a vanilla-y aura part of its identity/
    Thanks,
    J.
    Last edited by Jardanel; 18th August 2008 at 08:08 PM.

Default Re: Keiko Mecheri Musc - any opinions?

This is an old thread, but unanswered so, I'll comment. Keiko Mecheri's Musc is an unusual animal with notes of sandalwood, golden amber, tonka bean, crystal musk. It is not similar to the Jovan White Musk, Body Shop White Musk or SL Clair de Musc. It lacks any soft powdery notes or sweetness and balances right on the edge between clean and dirty. I blind bought this because I love Peau de Peche and Loukhoum and the new bottle design, however, I find I rarely reach for this and it makes me feel uncomfortable and unwashed when I wear it. It is almost heading into the realm of the Narcisco Rodriguez Musks, but with much less sillage, minus the figgy or osmanthus and floral top notes and much more transparency. This is for the person who lacks any natural body odor, because to my nose it basically smells like a slightly sweaty muskiness with a touch of golden amber and sandalwood essential oils rather than a structured fragrance. This is a nice base layer to create a sultry signature if you want to wear a super clean, fruity or white floral over it. On the plus side, I find it totally androgynous and could work for some day and night. In my case, I keep trying to layer this with other things, it just feels incomplete somehow. In retrospect, if I had to choose a perfect clean musk, I'd go for Le Labo Musc 25 or SL Clair De Musc with it's comforting iris powder finish instead.
    As for me, in every step that I have taken in life, I have been accompanied by an exquisite perfume!
    ― C. JoyBell C.

Hello Le Boise,

How kind of you to unearth this old post of mine and provide such a detailed answer! In the years between, I did obtain a sample of the KM Musc and I tend to agree with much of your viewpoint. A mid-point musk is how I would put it - not laundry/powder/clean but not a barbarian either. It was also my somewhat guilty thought that I just might spring for a Mecheri fragrance because the new black bottles were so appealing. I might still order Musc, although Mogador calls out to me too.

I see that you are a new member - welcome to the community!

Thanks again,

J.

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    Hello Le Boise,

How kind of you to unearth this old post of mine and provide such a detailed answer! In the years between, I did obtain a sample of the KM Musc and I tend to agree with much of your viewpoint. A mid-point musk is how I would put it - not laundry/powder/clean but not a barbarian either. It was also my somewhat guilty thought that I just might spring for a Mecheri fragrance because the new black bottles were so appealing. I might still order Musc, although Mogador calls out to me too.

I see that you are a new member - welcome to the community!

Thanks again,

J.
    Hi Jardanel,
    Thanks for the welcome! Since you mention wanting one of these unique black bottles in your collection, I would also alert you to the KM website where a custom sample set of 5 (2 ml) samples of your choice can be acquired for 18usd. Not bad...Also at luckyscent.com you can request free samples of her line with purchase and I recently requested some from her Bespoke premium line (Canyon Dreams, Soussane, Cuir Fauve and Bal Des Roses) I was surprised when they arrived because unlike the usual 1 ml samples for purchase from luckyscent, these were gorgeous, generous 2 ml samples with golden collectable labels. I haven't tried Mogador, since I'm not always sure about rose fragrances, but Bal De Roses, I can say is very bold, slightly spicy, little bit of leather and ambery in the drydown- very sensual. You might also appreciate Attar de Roses- also rose with some Jasmine. I am very curious about Les Nuit D'izu, Paradise Lost and Myrrhe et Merveilles...that is after I use a bit of the Musc and Peau de Peche and the Osmanthus (FYI-I don't recommend this one unless you like SL Datura Noir, Hypnotic poison, and Datura Blance-it's not my favorite- but I thought it smelled differently from my sample). Good luck!
    As for me, in every step that I have taken in life, I have been accompanied by an exquisite perfume!
    ― C. JoyBell C.