Code of Conduct

Thread: Introduction

Default Introduction

Hi all

Just joined and am appreciative of all the great knowledge I've been attaining here lately. I am a total newbie in this category, so I'm looking forward to learning a lot. Here is what I've done so far:

Current stock:

Versace Blue Jeans
    Cool Water

Thats it. I am a 30yo in a warm climate so that is something I have to think about. I was looking for something as a daily scent, and another that my wife would love for casual weekends and nights out. Tried L'Issey pour Homme-smelled like women's perfume on me, Guerlain Vetiver, wife said it smelled too much like soap, GIT-too much like Cool Water. A*Men-wife loved it, but I felt it wasn't appropriate for business, I don't go clubbing, and maybe too young of a scent? I don't know. Decided on:

Chanel Egoiste Platinum for daily business(I'm in at least a shirt/tie most days)
    Terre d'Hermes-(alternative business scent) totally different from what I've ever worn. Much more sophisticated IMO, but good, so I'll try it out.
    John Varvatos-what can I say, you can find it inexpensive, and my wife loves it

Thanks all for your reviews, they helped a lot in this decision. I am always willing to try new stuff, so if you have any suggestions based on my decisions, let me know.

Thanks
    Jeremy

Blog Entries

Default Re: Introduction

I think you made some excellent choices, I'm not an owner of John Varvatos but many Basenoters whose opinions I take very seriously swear by it. I like Terre d'Hermes, enough to buy a bottle anyway, and I love Platinum Égoïste, so I think you did pretty well!
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

I'm with bluesoul about Platinum Égoïste...I first smelled it in the airport's Duty Free section in Beijing and I absolutely love it...

Personally I find Égoïste to be pretty sophisticated and I found Terre D'Hermes to be overpowering and not-so-sophisticated, but each to his own :smile:.

Chanel's other fragrances, i.e. Allure and some others are some worthy mentionables, I believe, and Rochas Man is similar to A*Men, maybe try that out?

Good Luck and welcome from one newbie to the next xD

Blog Entries

Yes, Rochas Man has a lot in common with A*Men. For what it's worth I agree with you, I don't think I'd ever wear my A*Men to work, or, if I did, very very lightly.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Thanks for the replies. I do also like some other chanels fragrances, especially Allure, but it really does not last at all on me. If I do end up buying some, I would have to do something I never have and reapply during the day. I also have a sample of Rochas Man, but have not yet tried it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Basenotes Institution

Give Vetiver by Guerlain another try jtoddaz - if your wife thinks it smells 'soapy' that might've been because you were smelling a lot of other smells that day. Or maybe she won't like it. But it's worth another try. It's one of those scents that is extremely versatile, afforadable and masculine.

For something sweeter (that isn't AMen), try Attitude by Armani.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 20th August 2008 at 09:18 PM.

you have alreayd made some excellent choices...here are my two scents...

Paco XS for Office.Business
    ST Dupont PH/Declaration by Cariter as an alternative scent for office
    Burberry London since you like John Varvatos. i wouldnt say which one is superrior, but London definitely has an edge and has wowed me to infinity.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was actually giving Vetiver another shot yesterday. My wife said now she doesn't hate it, it just isn't as nice as the others I let her smell on me. Down the road, I might buy a bottle just to keep and wear when I need something different. I will also give Burberry London a shot. Thanks
    Jeremy

You should also try YSL L'Homme.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Great selections and introduction to the board, Jtoddaz, glad to have you with us. Super that your experiences so far have been so good.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Welcome to the forum Jeremy Fasten your seatbelt.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jtoddaz View Post
    John Varvatos-what can I say, you can find it inexpensive, and my wife loves it
    http://www.bigdiscount.com/mens-frag...s-cologne.html

Hello jtoddaz and welcome to Basenotes!

Bigdiscount has John Varvatos in the 2.5spray bottle for a reasonable $27.95
    and there are some other equally as reasonable and reliable online stores selling it also.

Good to have you here at Basenotes!
    Last edited by kbe; 21st August 2008 at 07:59 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    http://www.bigdiscount.com/mens-frag...s-cologne.html

Hello jtoddaz and welcome to Basenotes!

Bigdiscount has John Varvatos in the 2.5spray bottle for a reasonable $27.95
    and there are some other equally as reasonable and reliable online stores selling it also.

Good to have you here at Basenotes!
    Thanks all for the welcome and the suggestions. I was able to get the Varvatos at FragranceX for like $28 for a 4.2 new tester. I thought that was pretty good. I also just received my Egoiste Plat. from Beauty Encounter for $43 for an unboxed 1.7. Can't wait to try them out. Saves me money to try more

J