Code of Conduct

Default Face Powder for Men

Sometimes, when I have dark circles under my eyes due to lack of sleep, or when I have a spot of acne, I apply a small amount of concealer on my face. It does work pretty well.

For some time now, I've been wondering if a man can get away with using face powder. It should be nice to use such a product, because it reduces shine. But will people notice that I am using the powder? That is the question!

Did any of you guys ever use compact or loose blot powder? How was the experience?

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 19th August 2008 at 05:23 AM.

Default Re: Face Powder for Men

Lucius, I think men should avoid face powder as it will give them a feminine appearance, imo.

Never tried it, never will. Don't need it.

Lucius, I'm sure you look perfectly acceptable without it. So would you just relax over there, please?

(I'm just play'n with you, buddy!)

I don't use face powder, but I have used one of those Laszlo shake-it things with the tinted talc over the heavy duty sunscreen I use. It cuts the fish-belly white aspect of the Anthelios so I look a little less like death warmed over. A little.

MAC has a great product called Blot Powder. It doesn't deposit any colour and is extremely light. It just eliminates shine without looking like powder.

But an even more fool-proof choice would be blotting papers. You press them on to your face and they suck up the oil and shine. Shiseido has great ones calles Pureness Oil-blotting Papers. The ones from Clean & Clear and MAC are made of some weird oil-absorbing plastic which feels satisfyingly high-tech.

tmp00: I use a lovely greasy/shiny Anthelios sunscreen too and sometimes I pat some Arrow root on top. The stuff you use in food to thicken sauces and stuff. Works great and is completely invisible.
    Last edited by Concord; 20th August 2008 at 01:52 PM.

Thanks so much, TMP and Concord. I think I'll try the MAC blot powder....it seems to be exactly what I need. If it isn't completely invisible, I'll then buy the blotting papers.

I want to look beautiful, but I don't want anybody to know how far I go to attain it.

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 20th August 2008 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    I want to look beautiful, but I don't want anybody to know how far I go to attain it.

I second that! Its my dilemma exactly
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

You might try the Laszlo as well if you see it- it's o toner base which is good and after a few seconds it's absolutely invisible, even in daylight.

Those blotty paper things are great, but make sure that you don't get one that's too pink. I've had salmon-colored stripes on my face after using one of them (I think Crabtree & Evelyn?)

Quote Originally Posted by tmp00 View Post
    You might try the Laszlo as well if you see it- it's o toner base which is good and after a few seconds it's absolutely invisible, even in daylight.

Those blotty paper things are great, but make sure that you don't get one that's too pink. I've had salmon-colored stripes on my face after using one of them (I think Crabtree & Evelyn?)
    Eek! the Shiseido ones have a microscopic layer of some sort of clay (bentonite?) and doesn't show up. Clean & Clear and MAC's aren't powdered at all.

Basenotes Institution

Lucius - I have extremely oily skin. Sometimes, when I want to look my best, I use Laura Mercier's translucent powder. It is extremely fine and has NO color and if applied correctly it will NOT show up on ones face.

What most people don't know (and I found out) is that face powder needs to be applied with a VERY GOOD brush. Most brushes are cheap and clump powder on. You need a very high quality brush (it's gonna cost more than $20...that's for sure).

Most women (or men) who have visible powder on their faces either are using cheap powder, or cheap brushes - or both.

LM sells the powder in two sizes, a travel size and a normal size. You might try the small size first. If you go to a luxury department store that sells LM products, the SA will show you correctly how to apply it. A few small steps is all it takes to learn.

I don't wear powder on my face a lot. But if I'm getting dressed up really nice, or if I'm going to be photographed and I don't want to have my face oily, there really is no substitute for powder. And believe me, you cannot tell that you have powder on.

Good luck!

Thanks so much, Mike. I'll try it! I have one question, though: which is the best brush? The one with natural fibers or the one with goat hair?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Lucius - I have extremely oily skin. Sometimes, when I want to look my best, I use Laura Mercier's translucent powder. It is extremely fine and has NO color and if applied correctly it will NOT show up on ones face.
    Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 22nd August 2008 at 12:54 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks so much, Mike. I'll try it! I have one question, though: which is the best brush? The one with natural fibers or the one with goat hair?
    Yes, goat hair. Mine looks just like this. Here's a nicer one like this, but I really didn't want to spend that kind of $.

Believe me, if you approach an SA and explain you want the powder and you want them to help you choose a brush and show you how to apply it, they will be more than glad to show you. Even better, if one of the SA's is a guy, ask him to show you.

Sur la Plage

This is what you want - Philosophy "The Supernatural":

http://www.philosophy.com/web/store/...54_44051_39044

You can find it also at Sephora and Nordstroms.

All in one - no need for brushes, easy to use, not messy, SPF, can match your skin color, portable
    Last edited by petruccijc; 22nd August 2008 at 11:48 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Mike, you'll think I am silly.....but I don't have the guts to buy make-up from a SA. I prefer to buy it online. I would get too self conscious buying it at a store. As you know, I am very shy, and I am only partially out of the closet.

I read the instructions on a website, and they tell you to put some powder on the brush, then press it on the palm of your hand to better distribute the powder, and then apply it from the jaw-line and upwards, in semi-circular movements. I'll try it soon and I'll tell you the results.

Yes, goat hair. Mine looks just like this. Here's a nicer one like this, but I really didn't want to spend that kind of $.

Believe me, if you approach an SA and explain you want the powder and you want them to help you choose a brush and show you how to apply it, they will be more than glad to show you. Even better, if one of the SA's is a guy, ask him to show you.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    This is what you want - Philosophy "The Supernatural":

http://www.philosophy.com/web/store/...54_44051_39044

You can find it also at Sephora and Nordstroms.

All in one - no need for brushes, easy to use, not messy, SPF, can match your skin color, portable
    I don't like powders that are applied with a powder puff - for people like me (with oily skin), the powder doesn't get evenly distributed. Instead it gets smoothed over the surface of the skin. For me, this means clogged pores, more acne, etc. So, I need to apply powder with a brush. Better diffusion, no clumps, no clogged pores (acne). In addition, this powder has color in it. It will work perfectly for medium/dark skin, but will 'show' more on lighter skin guys (like me). That's why I wear a translucent powder, which is basically colorless and lets your skin color show thru. Finally, I hate the Philosophy brand. I know it's just a rumour, but I heard that they were one of the companies (along with Bond No. 9) that made a big deal about decant sales getting forbidden on Ebay. Ever since I heard that, I decided to spend my dollars elsewhere.

Mike, you'll think I am silly.....but I don't have the guts to buy make-up from a SA. I prefer to buy it online. I would get too self conscious buying it at a store. As you know, I am very shy, and I am only partially out of the closet.

I read the instructions on a website, and they tell you to put some powder on the brush, then press it on the palm of your hand to better distribute the powder, and then apply it from the jaw-line and upwards, in semi-circular movements. I'll try it soon and I'll tell you the results.

The SA showed me a much better way of applying it, but I'm not sure I could describe it in this thread - it's one of those things that you need to see to understand. Maybe online you could see a video of a makeup artist with tips on applying powder, etc...

One more thing: I'm sure that SA's at a department store sell face powder to guys all of the time (actors, models, etc) regardless of their sexuality.

If oily skin is the problem, I recommend Shiseido anti shine refresher for men. It's a creme that provides a nice matting effect on the skin.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Mike, I found this video. It is a different technique. She uses very light strokes, focusing on the T zone. Take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnINMeQhRG0

and I bought this rather expensive brush:

http://www.maccosmetics.com/template...T_ID=PROD10343

The SA showed me a much better way of applying it, but I'm not sure I could describe it in this thread - it's one of those things that you need to see to understand. Maybe online you could see a video of a makeup artist with tips on applying powder, etc....
    Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 22nd August 2008 at 04:04 PM.

Sur la Plage

I don't like powders that are applied with a powder puff - for people like me (with oily skin), the powder doesn't get evenly distributed. Instead it gets smoothed over the surface of the skin. For me, this means clogged pores, more acne, etc. So, I need to apply powder with a brush. Better diffusion, no clumps, no clogged pores (acne). In addition, this powder has color in it. It will work perfectly for medium/dark skin, but will 'show' more on lighter skin guys (like me). That's why I wear a translucent powder, which is basically colorless and lets your skin color show thru. Finally, I hate the Philosophy brand. I know it's just a rumour, but I heard that they were one of the companies (along with Bond No. 9) that made a big deal about decant sales getting forbidden on Ebay. Ever since I heard that, I decided to spend my dollars elsewhere.
    Don't hate, Mike. It's bad for the complexion
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Don't hate, Mike. It's bad for the complexion
    LOL

Hi Lucius,

I've the same problem and resolved as follows :

option 1) Terracotta for Man by Guerlain. Very good stuff, invisible but gives a little colour without shining

option 2) Anthelios fluid for oily skin protection 50 (no shine at all and you can avoid powders)

Cheers

Sur la Plage

Sebasorb oil-absorbing lotion is also good for an oily complexion.

if someone would make a suntan lotion that didn't make me look like a greased frying pan I would pay a lot for that

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by perfumeboss View Post
    if someone would make a suntan lotion that didn't make me look like a greased frying pan I would pay a lot for that
    Check this out: http://www.sephora.com/browse/produc...09&categoryId=

It's called Instant Mineral SPF 30 and it's a brush on powder that's colorless and blocks the sun. I stumbled on it at Sephora and it works.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Sur la Plage

Check this out: http://www.sephora.com/browse/produc...09&categoryId=

It's called Instant Mineral SPF 30 and it's a brush on powder that's colorless and blocks the sun. I stumbled on it at Sephora and it works.
    I recommend this product as well.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 24th September 2008 at 10:55 AM.

Pass on makeup. It's the one thing I won't due as far as cosmetics go.

Use oil blotting papers for oily skin...

Get a tan. Clean up ur acne. Look good.

Plus if ure to scared to ask a sales person for makeup, how are u going to have the balls to walk around with it. Everyone will note something is off, even if they can't pinpoint it. Girls will note it and be turned off.
    Last edited by boyextraordinare; 7th November 2008 at 03:46 AM.

Talking Re: Face Powder for Men

What? No replies from any girls to help out the boys? Well, let me be the first!!!

I wouldn't be turned off by a guy wearing a little face powder and/or concealer to cover a blemish, overly dark under eye circles and to even out a blotchy oily complexion. I might even accept a wee bit of VERY LIGHTLY applied bronzer/blush if he is really pale or sallow, but I do draw the line at eye shadow, mascara and lipstick. I'd say... that's for all-out drag queens who probably don't give a hoot what girls and straight guys think anyway.

I agree with many above, in regards to blotting papers. I have very oily skin and therefore use blotting papers, all the time. (Mine are by Boscia. Check you local Sephora's.)

If you still want to remove any oil by using powder, you'd still have to absorb some of the oil first, or you'll get a cakey mess. Either use blotting papers or a lint-free tissue. (Toilet paper also works, in a pinch.) Then apply powder with a VERY FLUFFY blush. I personally like the MAC (large) 187 or (small) 188 or the retractable Kabuki by Too Faced. (The Macs - if they are authentic... buy only from a MAC dealer please! - are a natural/synthetic fiber mix, while the Too Faced brush is totally synthetic but still very soft.) I especially like the retractable Kabuki, for "travel." I know.... it's pink and some of you guys may go , but it's not like you're going to whip it out in public to apply powder! (That's what mirrored compacts and bathroom stalls are for. )

Besides regular powders, I'd also recommend either SILK POWDER (aka silk dust,) which is typically color-free and transparent or - for those that want sun protection and a little color - a quality Mineral Makeup foundation, in the RIGHT SHADE. (I personally use either Alima's or Everyday Minerals.) They go on light, but it does depend on how much product you use as well as what tools and the application technique. (Check out ENKORE's YouTube video in regards to applying mineral foundation. Yes... he's a dude!)

I've also tried "special" oil-decreasing powders that contain clay, but found those to be too drying for some (less oily) parts of my face.

Lastly - even if you don't suffer from blemishes/acne, but especially if you do - wash your brushes regularly!!! Brushes do tend to hang on and collect dust and bacteria, if not handled/stored/cleaned properly.

I do a daily quick cleaning, for the brushes I use at home, right after each application. For that I mist a lint-free paper towel with bush cleaner (I use Bare Essentials' Quick Clean spray) and swipe the brush back and forth several times. (I clean my retractable "travel" kabuki in that same manner, every night.)

Once a week - for me that's usually on fridays - I wash my brushes with some baby shampoo. (Check Enkore's YouTube video on cleaning brushes.)
    I am NOT my hair, I am NOT my skin ; I AM the soul that lives within!

I'm in love with makeup forever's HD powder. It's a superfine 100% silica powder. It absorbs oil and covers imperfections. The brush that comes with it is awesome... apparently Oprah mentioned it on her show- apparently her makeup artist uses it to cover the imperfections that are visible with the new HD/digital tv broadcasts- and it's been flying off the shelves ever since.

Mineral Veil by Bare Escentuals, it's 100% natural, as light as butterfly wings, won't clog your pores, and you can sleep in it. Apply by tapping a *tiny bit* onto the lid of the container and buffing on with a brush, not too much! I use the whole line and in this hot and humid summer climate, my makeup never runs, sweats or looks cakey. Many of the new "mineral" powders are trying to copy BE, but some of them contain heavier ingredients like talc. It comes in sheer and also some other tints and luminosities. You can try it, Sephora takes returns.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/produc...categoryId=B70
    Last edited by beachroses; 7th December 2008 at 09:33 PM.